Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Voted Out  (Read 5721 times)

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Voted Out
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2008, 10:41:04 PM »

what are you talking about I never mentioned pedophilia kazz jesus

(EDIT BY THAD: tiny text is obnoxious.)

The simple explanation is: I saw a connection. It didn't seem that tangential to me, it seemed like a comparison to a sort of argument that is about as common as the one we're having, and about another mental defect, with no apparent solution to the social problems which it causes. Maybe I was wrong, whatever. Can we drop it, now?

oh, and I'm leaving the boards forever, btw
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2008, 10:48:23 PM »

for fuck's sake there is more tiny text than there is normal text
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2008, 10:49:06 PM »

I hate tiny text even more than I hate pedophiles!   :angry:

what a sloppy re-edit of your post, by the way.  your tenses switch like crazy now.  loose predicates abound!  they'll overtake the ship i tells ya.

Anyway, listen, there's a valid argument to be made about psychological conditions and behaviors that can't be helped, the lack of therapy and understanding, so on.  But we have this long discussion about autism and you go "This reminds me of pedophilia" and my jaw dropped and rolled away and I had to spend like ten minutes looking for it.

The primary difference is that autistics are capable of winning my sympathy.  I draw the line riiight around rape, I think.

That's the last word from me, unless we want to split this split into a second split.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2008, 10:50:51 PM »

If I'm harassing you then Thad's been harassing people for years.

Oh wait.

Shutting up now.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »

sigh
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2008, 11:04:27 PM »

Can we all at least agree on the fact that the teacher was fucking retarded for doing what she did? She knew damn well what he had - that's part of the requirements when you have a damned IEP, to inform all your teachers of it.

The fact that she ignored that and probably fucked that kid up for several decades just oAJSD:LASJDOAODwaojuo;iawujdoi;asjdopwjkr grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2008, 11:20:45 PM »

I'm not sure anyone thinks the teacher did the right thing.  Despite how my earlier posts may have sounded, it really doesn't matter how the kid behaved.  Getting shown that all of his peers despise him is going to fuck the kid up severely.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2008, 11:28:14 PM »

PPL TEASING IS THE CURE FOR AUTISM

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »

She didn't just "Not do the right thing", she did the wrong thing with fucking rocket engines.

There's "not helping someone in a car wreck" and there's "driving your car over them a few times to see their head splatter"

This teacher did the second.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2008, 06:33:46 AM »

Well, he was autistic, so there's a good chance he didn't realize the social ramification of what happened to him and will instead continue to annoy the fuck out of babysitters for years to come.

:nyoro~n:

It's good that WFE has finally found a discussion where everybody can disagree about how emphatically they agree with each other.  This thread has long since gotten off about being the effects of autism and other mental and social childhood problems and instead developed into people yelling at each other about how they all think the teacher was wrong.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2008, 06:43:57 AM »

It's probably a far stretch, but looks like the teacher handed over the boulder, and the autistic kid got stuck with the role of Piggy.  While I can't comment on the mental disorder, I can comment on unnecessary traumatic school events.

I attended grades K, 1, and 2 at the school on Kadena AFB, in Okinawa.  The bus I took home had many Japanese kids on it.  And most of the time, I couldn't understand their native tongue.  Apparently, I had sat in the 'wrong' place.  I couldn't understand this little boy trying to tell me such, and then he wheeled his bookbag around and hammered me in the face with it.  Imagine my further discontent when the bus driver storms into the back and yells at both of us what I can only assume are questions in bizzaro moonman language.  And then getting off the bus, running to the folks in tears, only to see some angry lady dragging her demonic book-wielding child towards us in what I can only assume to be forced apology.  My rage over this matter was settled years later, once I read about what we did to them with two gigantic bombs.

End point: kids are too young to fully understand the world around them, and the consequences of their actions.  It's the role of the teacher to GENTLY introduce this concept until it's forcefully beaten into them around high school.  If the teacher had a problem with the child in the class, she has a ring of academic professionals to take the matter up with, instead of turning it into Survivor.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »

what a sloppy re-edit of your post, by the way.  your tenses switch like crazy now.  loose predicates abound!  they'll overtake the ship i tells ya.

It's also confusing as shit to see you suddenly bring up pedophilia when there's no longer any reference to it in Freddy's post.

Fredward, while I'm generally opposed to strikethrough, it's a pretty good way to disavow your previous comments without completely removing the context of the next half-dozen replies in the thread.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2008, 11:14:39 AM »

What I find funny is that if the kid had been perfectly normal, we'd probably all nod our heads and go, "Yeah, that's totally fucked up child abuse," and go about our business.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2008, 12:10:45 PM »

...Actually, while I don't know what was in Fred's old post, it occurs to me that there IS some overlap between those subjects.

Can't think of the source at the moment, but I recall, a couple years back, reading a story about an autistic man who once whipped his wang out in front of a child and was resultantly put on a sex offender list.

Now, obviously what he did was wrong.  But it's a pretty far cry from rape, and he's going to spend the rest of his life with his name in the same sex offender registry as actual child molesters.

Obviously he needed some negative reinforcement for his behavior, and someone needed to drill it into him that it's totally unacceptable to do things like that.  But sticking a man who's already got a hard life ahead of him with a scarlet letter and telling all his neighbors, wherever he goes, that he's a threat to their children is not, to my mind, a punishment that fits the crime.

I think it IS absolutely fair to have different legal standards for people with different mental capabilities.  I also think that our legal system focuses too much on punishment and not enough on rehabilitation.  Yes, the populace -- children and adults alike -- needs to be protected from dangerous people.  But a mentally handicapped man who exposes himself in public seems a very minor threat to me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]