Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 101

Author Topic: The Rynwold Pantheon (D&D 4e)  (Read 64781 times)

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Rynwold Pantheon (D&D 4e)
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »

[For dice, everyone register at http://dicelog.com. PM me the e-mail address you're using at the site and I'll invite you to the group dice log.]

Ampersand: The temple of Derke Taarsen is a dark stone ziggurat, reminiscent of ancient ruins. A stone lintel doorway opens into the main chamber, and a flame flickers inside. A stairway leads down into the ziggurat, suggesting that a significant part of the temple is built underground.

Rolling Thievery: 11 + 11 = 22. You make off with five gold pieces and nobody is any the wiser.

The Black Anvil is a backstreet tavern full of dwarves, mainly the hardworking and serious sort. You feel somewhat unwelcome as the only drow in the bar.

Dog: Streetwise 15 + 5 = 20. You hear three rumours:

1. A local cleric of Derke Taarsen has been preaching that the church of Catharsus is corrupt and cannot be trusted
2. Some dwarves have been missing for at least a day; some women think their husbands are shirking work to attend the festival
3. Pickpocketing is on the rise

Pitamaha: The tavern is called The Stone Table, in Common. The suspicious group are still there an hour later. One is a black-haired dwarf with quite dark skin, while the other has bright red hair and a braided beard with a golden ring in it. The secret to the soup is the basil.

Francisca: The blacksmith replies, "I had noticed they seemed a little nervous, but I put that down to the trouble we've had in the furnacing recently. We just can't get good iron ore lately. We've had to abandon six blades this year already since they developed cracks from to impurities in the steel."

"I have no idea why they'd give up such a trusted position to steal a sword. To give up a promising career and sell the sword for a couple of thousand gold on the black market, split six ways? The Urkas I know wouldn't call that a good deal, and he wouldn't betray his employer like that. He was a very loyal man--er, dwarf: to his friends, his family, his faith and especially to his work."

BŁge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 08:29:18 PM »

Briar will go follow Pitamaha to the tavern.

"Hey grandfather, room for one more?"

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »

Dog inquires more about the cleric and his untrustworthiness.

(Streetwise +5, Intimidate +5, Insight +0, Diplomacy +0)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2011, 09:02:01 PM »

Vivi locates the southern corner of the room and stands in it, facing the gloomy old blacksmith with a stern, serious look. "Hey old man, you know the way to a Stone-Folk's heart is his vice. Where did these goons drink after hours? Did you go with 'em? What's their blend of chew?" Flutters her eyelashes. "Is there any here?"

(Streetwise or Diplomacy here, I reckon.)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 09:37:26 PM »

Briar will go follow Pitamaha to the tavern.

"Hey grandfather, room for one more?"
"It is said that the fruits of any undertaking, whether for wealth, wisdom, or pleasure, are sweeter when sought with company," said Pitamaha. [The rest proceeds as described, but with more small talk.]
...but is it art?

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »

Dog: Streetwise 5 + 5 = 10. The dwarves you talk to begin to get suspicious as you pry for more details. It gradually dawns on you that quite a few dwarves in this area must be part of the cleric's flock.

Vivi: The blacksmith happily volunteers the information. "They hung out in a place called The Black Anvil, a small bar in the dwarven quarter of the city. Mainly blacksmiths and metalworkers go there. Non-dwarves aren't particularly welcome. I've never been there, myself. Our church frowns on intoxicants, anyway." He mumbles with the dull repetetive tone of a religious dogma learned by heart, "My body is as a weapon; it must not be allowed to tarnish or rust."

"Chew? None here, I'm afraid, unless the dwarves chew iron and sand."

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »

Francisca thanks the blacksmith. "From how you describe him, I can't see why he'd ever do what he apparently did. Except loyalty can work against you at times, maybe someone got to him through dastardly means."

She turns to Vivi, "Shall we get going? How about we go check out that bar? You're not really stocky, but you're short enough to not stand out too much!"

BŁge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2011, 10:53:17 AM »

"It is said that the fruits of any undertaking, whether for wealth, wisdom, or pleasure, are sweeter when sought with company," said Pitamaha. [The rest proceeds as described, but with more small talk.]

[If Briar inquires Pitahama about orc/half-orc tribes, does either character need to make a roll?]

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »

Vivi gives Franny the staring of a lifetime, then quietly nods and heads out with her to The Black Anvil.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »

"I didn't mean any insult! It was just an observation!"

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »

Buge: Generally speaking, you don't need a roll to ask another PC things. (The reasoning is that you could roll high and force a PC to say or do something he doesn't want to, which wouldn't always be appreciated.)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2011, 11:17:52 AM »

Vivi pops up behind Franny's shoulder and drops a few minties on the top of her head. "If you buy me a drink, I might forget how mad I am."

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »

Francisca and Vivi: You arrive at the Black Anvil to find your ally Ampersand there. The rest of the bar is dwarves. They don't seem too appreciative of all the non-dwarven folk in their bar today.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »

Keeping his eyes on as many of the patrons as possible, Ampersand calls out through the tavern "bright lights in the city, and Catharsus left to wallow in the dark. Reason to drink to me, a round for the house!" [perception / bluff check I guess to see the reactions of the patrons. Looking out for anyone that seems to be thinking anything but "yay, free ale"]

With that he places two gold pieces on the bar and orders something filling to be brought with his drink to a table in the emptiest corner of the tavern.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »

D: I totally did my thing before they showed up

BŁge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2011, 11:41:45 AM »

Bongo Bill: Generally speaking, you don't need a roll to ask another PC things. (The reasoning is that you could roll high and force a PC to say or do something he doesn't want to, which wouldn't always be appreciated.)

What I meant was, if Briar asks about her ancestry, would Pitahama need to roll to see if he knows anything? Briar's noticed that he seems well-traveled is all.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »

"A drink? Whatever you wish for, M'lady! What do you prefer? Milk? Tea? I hope you're not drinking alcohol at your age, it clouds the mind and dulls your senses, a terrible thing to do to such a fine gift.", She stops and thinks for a second, "On the other hand, I don't think this place serves milk or tea, so yeah, alcohol it is!"

Francisca stands outside the tavern, looking it over, "This place looks wonderful! I love places like this, because it's always where the best stories are.", She stands beside the door and makes a gesture to Vivi, "You first, madame.", she says, bowing slightly.

After they both walk in, she walks up to the bar, ordering a drink for vivi, and starts working on trying to win the dwarves over with her personality, telling a tall tale of some dwarves she met who struck it rich with craftiness and skill in combat.

[I don't know what kind of rolls I'd use for that, Diplomacy? I'm working on softening them up so I can ask them about the dwarves that supposedly took the sword.]

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »

Vivi accepts her drink and gives Franny a big griiiin. Only for three moments, or it might stick forever! Then she starts scrounging the bar and supping at whatever she got, looking for (drug, not sword) dealer-types. (Streetwise Roll) I guess actually asking for information related to the case would not hurt either.

Streetwise Roll of 1d20+8 = 1 for a result of 9. (Oh cripes they're gonna toss my ass out for being a minor.)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2011, 12:14:20 PM »

Bongo Bill: Generally speaking, you don't need a roll to ask another PC things. (The reasoning is that you could roll high and force a PC to say or do something he doesn't want to, which wouldn't always be appreciated.)

What I meant was, if Briar asks about her ancestry, would Pitahama need to roll to see if he knows anything? Briar's noticed that he seems well-traveled is all.

Hell, let's play it out.
...but is it art?

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2011, 02:06:12 PM »

Ampersand: Perception 9 + 5 = 14. The dwarves warm to you a little as their ales are distributed. They're showing the traditional dwarven wariness out outsiders, but none of them look suspicious.

You spot a table at the back which is conspicuously empty. Other dwarves are packed around adjacent tables even though this one is free.

Francisca: Diplomacy 14 + 9 = 23. A group of metalsmiths at the back of the tavern take interest in your tale.

"You may be only a human girl, but you certainly know your battle tales," says one. "There's something about 'em that rings true." The others nod in agreement and drink their ale.

"Say, have you seen those temple smiths? They're usually sat over there," he says pointing to the only empty table in the tavern which by now has begun filling up with your allies. "It's probably none of my business, but I figure they're out at the human festival. Now Kilgan, he reckons they're working so hard that they've just not come back from the forge yet." The dwarf who must be Kilgan nods in agreement.

Vivi: Streetwise 1+8 = 9. The first dwarf you talk to doesn't even speak Common. The second replies, "Chew? The only chew I'd give you is to chew your coins to make sure they're not counterfeit." He mumbles something under his breath in Dwarven - your recognise the Dwarven word 'tiefling'.

Pitamaha can roll History perhaps to know about Briar's lineage.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 101