Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Unforgivable Sins of UI Design  (Read 22801 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Unforgivable Sins of UI Design
« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »

So I went to the bank to deposit a check.

I put it in the slot and the ATM spits it out with an error: "No acceptable checks found."

Okay.  Well that could mean any goddamn thing.  This is my first time depositing a check made out to my wife; shouldn't be a problem but who the hell knows.  Or maybe it's just one of those things like when a machine's picky about taking a dollar bill.

So I try again.  And it gets spit out again.  Same error.

So before giving up, I decide to turn the check around and insert it the opposite direction from how it is pictured both on the sticker immediately above the slot AND on the screen.

This works.  The ATM takes the check.

So okay, three goddamn problems here.

First of all, you've got TWO graphics telling me to put the check in the wrong way.  I can reasonably conclude that somebody installed the fucking scanner backwards.

Second, that error message is fucking garbage.  How the fuck hard would it be to say "Could not read text" if that's the problem you're having?  "Write descriptive error messages" is fucking 101-level stuff.  It was drilled into my head HARD at every fucking step of my education, and is just plain common sense.  Yet another example of people lacking the most fundamental of software skills making more money at software design than I am.

And third, why the fuck is this an issue in the first place?  I realize the processor in the ATM is not as powerful as the one in my phone, but I'm pretty goddamn sure it has the power to rotate a fucking image.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 13, 2013, 05:40:45 PM »

<Months Behind>: There is a special place in hell for the unmodded PC version of Skyrim. I can allllllmost understand menus that you have to scroll through instead of click. Almost.

But then occasionally there are confirmation menus that you have to click.

9th Circle. Being chewed perpetually by Satan.

(Yes, I know I posted about this years ago when Skyrim first happened but I started playing it again and it is still just as infuriating so why not put it in the UI thread?)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »

...did Amazon seriously just give me a "game download" that was just an EXECUTABLE FILE that, when run, tells me to copy-and-paste a code into Steam?

This is the kind of shit I expect from a fly-by-night company whose website was designed by the owner's nephew, not the company that fucking defined how people buy things on the Internet.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »

They also give you the product code on the order page.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2013, 05:58:19 PM »

Yeah, if you go to your game library after you've bought the game you can see the key. Isn't very intuitive, but at least you got a steamworks game. There are a few games that redeem on steam that amazon will let you download, and downloading games from them is painful.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »

They also give you the product code on the order page.

Which is swell.  Why don't they give it to me in the spot that says "Download" instead of a fucking executable download?

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 26, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »

...did Amazon seriously just give me a "game download" that was just an EXECUTABLE FILE that, when run, tells me to copy-and-paste a code into Steam?

This is the kind of shit I expect from a fly-by-night company
Gamefly pulls similar shit. Users had to install a Gamefly's equivalent of Origin to see a download code to be used on the Guild Wars 2 site, for registering the purchase and downloading the client.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #247 on: November 26, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »

When you install Rocksmith on steam it installs ubisoft's Uplay, but if you try and just run the game from UPlay it makes you run it from steam instead.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »

It is the year 2013.

Can we please have a printing interface that, by default, pops up a box that says "The last page is only a 30-pixel-high image.  Do you want to print this page?  Yes/No" now?

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2014, 08:04:09 AM »

On Smartphone keyboard software: I am typing a word and you are displaying autocomplete suggestions. If I continue to type letters in a word you've suggested, perhaps you could change your suggestions to different conjugations? Like, say, if I'm trying to type displaying, you could show anything other than display/displayed until I get all the way to the i.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]