Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Penn State Scandal  (Read 10911 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The new obituary thread
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 07:38:44 AM »

Adding to what Mongrel said: calling someone a child molester is about the most serious allegation you can make.  If someone comes to you and tells you that one of your colleagues is a child molester, you're not going to want to believe it and, more, you're going to worry about what happens if you report him and destroy his life and it turns out he's actually innocent.

Didn't Paterno actually catch the guy in the shower with a child?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 07:42:52 AM »

That is not a report I have seen in any credible source so far.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 07:53:51 AM »

Actually from what I've read he was informed by someone who claims to have and then he told two people who were higher up than him on the food chain at Penn. State. Should he have called the police? Of course, he should have. But I think the brunt of our (thad, me, sane people) argument isn't that he didn't do something wrong. It's that saying, "He sure didn't do the right thing about someone abusing children" is a lot different than, "I hope his death was painful."

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:09 AM »

Maybe I'm just a minority opinion here, but I think that when you knowingly shelter, protect, and enable a child rapist, you're just as culpable for the raped children as the rapist themselves.  And that's exactly what Paterno did.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 08:43:46 AM »

Sheltered by reporting him to the head of the department AND the head of campus police. That FUCKING MONSTER.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »

I think it's just a shitty shity situation all round. Nobody got what they wanted, everyone is hurt, dozens of lives have been destroyed, and decades of good work have been undone overnight.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »

Maybe I'm just a minority opinion here, but I think that when you knowingly shelter, protect, and enable a child rapist, you're just as culpable for the raped children as the rapist themselves.  And that's exactly what Paterno did.

...As did many others.  He may have been a load-bearing brick*, but he was not the entire wall.

As Thad said, enabling is very tempting, even if objectively looking at it shows that it is 100% the wrong thing to do.  I think it's a bad thing, but it's not as bad as child rape.  Child rape doesn't come with any rationalizations that are, y'know, rational.  Enabling is the result of over rationalization.  If it was just "YAER! FOOTBAHL!!1," then he deserves all the flak he's getting, but we can't be sure of that.

...Oh fuck, I just realized that last line was enabling enabling!

*or even just a scape-goat brick.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I think it's just a shitty shity situation all round. Nobody got what they wanted, everyone is hurt, dozens of lives have been destroyed, and decades of good work have been undone overnight.

Yes.  Now let's all shut up about this.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »

Sheltered by reporting him to the head of the department AND the head of campus police. That FUCKING MONSTER.

The contention is that "JoePa" was King of the Roost at the university. He could have made the dean stand up and bark like a dog if he wanted, and there was more than one case of someone resigning or finding themselves out of a job because they did something that crossed him the wrong way.

In short, they say he had the power to make them act and only did the bare minimum so he could continue to win at the footbawls, but if it blew up say "Well I did my part!"

Do we have a :catloaf: yet

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Penn State Scandal
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2012, 10:04:17 AM »

What's wrong with :tilt:

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »

He did not report anyone to any kind of police.  He talked to an administrator who oversees the campus cops among other departments, someone with absolutely no authority to conduct criminal investigations.  As one person put it, "This is the university equivalent of contacting a politically-connected assistant deputy city manager instead of the actual police."
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »

Shit, I just like it when people I don't like die.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »

Hey yeah. He should have done more but I lost a LOT of respect for a few forumers. Shinra I expect this from. And your hate-on for football making you foam at the mouth because the guy died? Fanaticism is fanaticism.

Not going to the cops is a bad thing and not having done that should have given him jail time but being calling him a monster and cheering when he died from a painful death? Good lord.

Good fucking lord.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »

i mean yeah i'm not exactly lighting a candle for the man over here or anything but gloating over osama bin laden dying was gross and so is this

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »

Hey yeah. He should have done more but I lost a LOT of respect for a few forumers. Shinra I expect this from. And your hate-on for football making you foam at the mouth because the guy died? Fanaticism is fanaticism.

Not going into the cops is a bad thing and not having done that should have given him jail time but being calling him a monster and cheering when he died from a painful death? Good lord.

Good fucking lord.

I was fortunate enough, as a child, to not be raped.  But I'm inclined to guess that it hurts.  This man's deliberate inaction and sheltering of a child rapist resulted in children being raped, so I hope he went through at least that much pain before his end.  If that costs me someone's respect, I really don't give a shit.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 12:47:35 PM »

OK. So I'm gonna be super mean to Bal because his post best lets me sum up what's disquieting to me about this whole affair.

Shit, I just like it when people I don't like die.

• I didn't think we were so hard up for victories in life to take as a victory something we had no hand in.
  • I didn't think we were so emotionally retarded that we find presumed excruciating punishment for those we dislike cathartic.
  • I didn't think we counted death as a punishment or punitive measure, so much as a desperate preventative scheme and collective failure to agree on what counts for just restitution.

What's criminal is that the man died and is now unable to do anything for those he hurt with his professional inaction. As far as I can tell, he's escaped his shame and let it spill onto others whose culpability is in doubt.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »

I was actually commenting that it's not that complicated for me. I take no special pleasure in the deaths, painful or otherwise, of people I don't like, but I do view it as a net gain in my day. Patterno's dead? Good. That's it.

Nerd

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »

On the next episode of Legitimate Businessmen Gonna Be Legitimate Businessmen: TA tells someone to eat a dick posthumously!   And is Shinra's cat a racist?  Find out the next time a semi-famous person dies! :pimp:

Less dickish edit: Just gonna say I agree with Paco et all here, though I guess I also can't really tell anyone how to feel about stuff like this!  Also just jail this.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »

TA and Shinra aren't even LB. In fact the only person who is who commented other than me is Rico, and he's the one who came up with "a bit of respect for the dead" in the first place. So fuck off with that shit.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »

I'm about one post from locking this thread and/or jailing most of the last page and a half.

Point's been made.  On both sides.  Enough.

If there's anything left to say that's not nasty and/or personal, then carry on.  I think there IS a reasonable conversation to be had somewhere in here and we're very close to having it.  Play nice.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2012, 01:24:49 PM »

Do we have a :catloaf: yet
What's wrong with :tilt:

What did I do this time?  I would honestly like to know so that I might better myself.  Or is it that my posting is indicative of thread derailment/clusterfuck/shitstorm/etc?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11