Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 24960 times)

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Skyrim
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »

Spectacular. Pretty sure it would be more spectacular without the crashes to desktop, but who knows. I'm posting this while my video drivers update. :nyoro~n:

Biggest improvement so far is the magic. Forget the orange puffs of Oblivion; you get to roast some motherfuckers with big bassy THOOOOOM flame jets pretty much from the get go. The few Destruction spells I've seen so far have been of the "mid-range continuous stream of death" variety, so I still keep a bow on me for real range combat and oh hey I gotta reboot speak to ya later bye

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrimjob
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:53:48 PM »

Bucket on head to solve any line of sight issue seems like a big oversight on Bethesda's part.

Fucking buckets, how do they work?

I'm mildly interested in the game, but I'm going to wait to see how it all pans out as a successor to Oblivion and Morrowind.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:04:16 AM »

In my opinion that actually shows off a kind of awesome game feature.

It'd be better, yes, if there was something resembling logic to an investigation or if NPCs could remove buckets etc., but this actually makes me think being a sneaky type is going to be awesome and a half.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:12:13 AM »

PhoenixUltima

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 03:02:53 AM »

I'm going to wait until either the GotY edition is released with all the future DLC included, or the game and DLC go on sale on steam for like 75% off like New Vegas. Either one should be sufficient time for the worst of the bugs to have been patched out (and for the mod community to have taken care of the rest).
The captain of the gravy train!

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:24:27 AM »

'bout to give it a short whirl on steam before work.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 03:24:47 AM »

I've had zero crashes so far, short of a minor adjustment to my sound settings to get the game to actually launch. Buckets on heads are hilarious and I hope that behavior never gets modified. Game suggested that I should run it on high but I'm running it on ultra and everything seems perfectly fine. The tutorial is pretty shot too.

One very annoying thing though is that I can't remap F to middle mouse to change the fov, since it won't remap is as the favorite key and just makes the favorite key not work at all.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 05:24:11 AM »

The only crashes I've had turned out to be related to the discovery that my PSU has been installed upside-down for the last three years. Since fixing it, however, a new issue has arisen, where the initial loading screen has become significantly longer. How long is it? I'll tell you once it ends.....

Hope it's not related to my save file, but I wouldn't mind restarting if it comes to that. The melee seems to have been a bit overhyped, with the biggest improvements having to do with dual-wielding. Since I'm not going to be doing much of that, I might just respec to something less fighty anyway.

It's gripped me faster than any previous Elder Scroll, giving you a gentle nudge in a recommended direction rather than Morrowind's slow start, and I can already corroborate the reviews that say that it's much less blah than Oblivion was. Leveling, too, is lovely.
...but is it art?

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 06:07:35 AM »

So first thing I've noticed is that my Imperial was saved by a member of the guard and asked to join up afterwards. I've already seen that Nords are saved by the cloaks and asked to join them.

Am I going to have to make a character of every race now to make sure I can check out all available quest lines?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »

During the intro, it seems that there comes a point where you can choose to follow either the Imperial or the Nord. (I mean, they're both Nords, but... you know.) It's so chaotic that it's hard to notice that the choice is offered, but it's not constrained by your race, to my knowledge.

I don't know what effects this has on future quest chains, though.
...but is it art?

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »

you get a different breadcrumb to join one faction or the other but you can ignore it and do whatever. it makes no difference.

also melee still kinda has that... swing weapon, passes through guy, his health goes down, that's it thing going on. Blocking and power attacking have much better weight though, as evidenced by my shieldslamming a dude back 10 feet, into a pressure plate that dropped a spike ceiling on him. :glee:

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 10:18:44 AM »

also spoilers for first questline early on

[spoiler]some dude was like "pfffft, you're not a dragonborn" and i was like "VOL" at his table of victuals and sweetmeats, filling his whole house with flying bullshit, and he was like "JESUS CHRIST I STAND CORRECTED"[/spoiler]

so basically this game is pretty rad so far

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »

I think fighting is just the bee's knees now.

Noro's right, it does still have the feeling that you're cutting through the enemy instead of into them most of the time, but now weapons have an actual feel to them, a hammer isn't a sword, isn't an axe isn't a dagger and you can really chain attacks smoothly. Plus with dual wielding and enemies being decent combatants, I actually want to get into fights, and not just sneak attack the world into oblivion.

Speaking of Oblivion, my biggest complaint was that it felt like Morrowind, but dumbed down for the larger market (which was in turn kind of a dumbed down Daggerfall but still my favorite of the series). I was just hoping for a more feature rich sequel this time, and it really feels like they've done it with the way NPCs look and act now, the way the world in general reacts. With the new combat, crafting systems and leveling this may actually be the new best of the Elder Scrolls.

All that aside I have been getting crashes, but rarely enough that it doesn't bother me, and other than that the only bugs I've encounter are minor, save dismounting from a horse and watching it get flung across the planet. But it was cool, I stole it anyway.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »

So wait. The ones bought at retail are GFWL, but the ones on Steam are Steamworks only?

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »

Guffaw

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 12:40:58 PM »

Katia Managan is setting the world on fire, hoarding all the booze.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 03:07:27 PM »

My driver update did fix all my crash problems so far. The closest thing I've seen to a glitch was one NPC teleporting maybe three feet while trying to walk through a crowd, once.

Random stuff I like:
-Bandits encamped in the wilderness verbally warn you before attacking. Makes it feel like they're not always on the prowl and aren't necessarily looking for trouble all the time.
-AOE plant gathering!
-Active-defense ward spells are a great idea. They're clearly best for blocking spell damage and effects, but they do provide an armor bonus while they're up so they're a cool shield substitute for mages and fighter-mage types. And they're cheap to cast if your timing is good.
-The new magicka system in general just feels sensible now, in that it's basically stamina for mages instead of traditional MP. I guess it was mainly a question of making it regenerate faster.
-No more stats! Praise Akatosh!
-Your shit doesn't break anymore!

Random stuff I dislike:
-I had to eat a nasty old toe to learn its alchemical properties.
-The favorite equipment stuff is weaksauce.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »

yeah, favorites menu is ok for being just another menu but I kind of miss hotkeys over here. Classic, the problem is that it doesn't really make switching weapons all that faster, especially when you start carrying a bunch of crap and spells, shouts and torches.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 04:13:05 PM »

Other thing that bugs me: left click for right hand and right click for left hand. I switched it around in the controls menu but now I have to fire arrows with the right mouse button.

And I remap Activate to the spacebar as usual, but when reading a book the game still says "press E to take".

And the game allowed me to input a cedilla in the name field (THE BRETONS HAVE FRENCH NAMES, HOW COULD I NOT CALL MYSELF FRANÇOIS), but in every other instance the game calls me Fran§Aois.

That's about the extent of the pettiness I have to affect to find stuff to dislike about this game.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 04:17:06 PM »

I miss hot keys as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18