Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: SOPA/PROTECT IP  (Read 11566 times)

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
SOPA/PROTECT IP
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:14:28 PM »

So, you guys heard about SOPA, right?

I just thought I'd mention that SendWrite has a SOPA page where you can write a note to your congressional representative (you have three, remember!) and they'll print and mail it.

So there's really no good reasons left for not writing to your congressional representatives.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: SOPA
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:34:22 PM »

So there's really no good reasons left for not writing to your congressional representatives.

Sure there is. I don't live in the USA, for starters.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:44:57 PM »

Well, I'm glad to hear you've written to all zero of your Congressional representatives, then!
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »

100% of 0 is impossible.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:30 PM »

Hey man, in the set of all congresspeople he has, he's written to EVERY one of them. Don't tell me you forgot your sets.

EDIT:
Half remembered review!!!:
So, there's the null, or empty, set. The null set is the set that has no elements.
Whenever you use the logical term "FOR ALL," on a set, you're trying to for everything in the set (or, more likely, subset) assert something is true.
Whenever you use the logical term "FOR EVERY," on a set, you're trying to describe a subset for which you assert something is true.

Because the null set hasn't anything in it, nothing can be true about its elements, and your assertion is always contradicted.
Because the null set hasn't anything in it, it can never be said to have an element that contradicts your assertion, and your assertion is always true.

EDIT EDIT:

So yes, I hate the null set and I want all of you to join in with me on this one.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:11:01 PM »

I dunno.  I think at this point my stance is "Politicians are going to keep passing crazy laws, and programmers are going to keep circumventing them."

It's a peculiar mix of fatalism and optimism, I suppose.

Yes, SOPA's an outrage and it shouldn't pass.  But if it does?  Good fucking luck enforcing it.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 01:46:04 PM »

I wish there was something I could do for you guys. This SOPA thing is scary. And with the way King Steve rides on the US's coattails, I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar pop up here.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »

I dunno.  I think at this point my stance is "Politicians are going to keep passing crazy laws, and programmers are going to keep circumventing them."

It's a peculiar mix of fatalism and optimism, I suppose.

Yes, SOPA's an outrage and it shouldn't pass.  But if it does?  Good fucking luck enforcing it.

I confess I don't really "get" SOPA.  IP holders can already issue C&D orders to sites enabling infringement and those sites, with the exception of some of the more gregarious outliers like Pirate Bay, comply.  What more could they expect to happen?  I mean, are they going to get ISPs to block YouTube?  Do they really think they'll win the war on piracy in the court of public opinion by shutting down a website that IIRC gets more hits per day than Google?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »

Pretty sure SOPA exists for the sole purpose of pulling a China on The Pirate Bay.  Nobody who supports it has much intention of taking it further and hasn't gotten as far as considering the implications of what kind of rights violations it enables (or would care much even if they did).

I was going to go further with this but in the time it took to get out of the meeting I was in the story hit that Google and Facebook are going to basically strongarm the thing out of existence, so the point is moot now.  More importantly, the whole thing makes for a great "corporations don't HAVE to be our enemies" talking point.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 05:14:01 PM »

It's corporations who are going to take a massive hit to their bottom line if this infringement in to personal rights goes through.

"Oops, YouTube has all these LPs and song covers and stuff.  KABOOM."  Bye bye ad revenue for Google.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »

Ars: Even the Business Software Alliance now backpedaling on SOPA support

"Valid and important questions have been raised about the bill," Holleyman wrote. "As it now stands […] it could sweep in more than just truly egregious actors. Due process, free speech, and privacy are rights cannot be compromised."

Wull no shit, Sherlock.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »

Sign of things to come: judge orders Google, Facebook, Twitter, pretty much everybody to "de-list" a couple of hundred counterfeit Chanel goods sites.

Missing from the ruling is any discussion of the Internet's global nature; the judge shows no awareness that the domains in question might not even be registered in this country, for instance, and his ban on search engine and social media indexing apparently extends to the entire world. (And, when applied to US-based companies like Twitter, apparently compels them to censor the links globally rather than only when accessed by people in the US.)

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »

Yahoo! offshores, suddenly regains relevance.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 07:22:26 AM »

SOPA in trouble; alternative proposed that wouldn't require delistings from DNS or search engines but would ban credit card payments from US companies.

Now, we already know how this is going to be abused; look at Wikileaks.  But it looks like a much better solution than SOPA -- low bar though that may be.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 10:51:12 AM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 08:04:46 AM »

Ars: Even the Business Software Alliance now backpedaling on SOPA support

Apparently they haven't backpedaled enough, because Kaspersky is quitting the BSA over its SOPA support.

Makes me want to buy something from Kaspersky.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 09:09:03 AM »

I doubt any of you actually need to see an object example of how domain seizures can be abused, but Ars has one anyway: ICE admits year-long seizure of music blog was a mistake

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 10:05:01 AM »

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »

Food Rations are up!

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 10:30:35 AM »

Good news!  We've decided to gouge out only ONE of your eyes!  You don't have to be blind now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10