Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Old Republic  (Read 11688 times)

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Old Republic
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:13:36 PM »

best game 2011

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:58:35 PM »

I know that they were going for a unique graphical style that would withstand the test of time ala world of warcraft, but all they managed to do is create characters that look ugly and were made out of sheet plastic.

I am sure the game is fun and all but holy shit the graphical style drives me up the wall.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 09:45:06 PM »

Not all the models are completely horrible.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »

but that one is

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »

The game stupidly defaults to the shittiest graphics settings it can. I told John about this after he took his screencaps.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:57:23 AM »

You did, but that is with it turned all the way up. It's not Rift pretty, but for an MMO it's not bad at all.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:50:54 PM »

Well, that dude is clearly playing a dark side Sith. I'd imagine that electrocuting an enslaved Twi'lek would be pretty par for the course.

Honestly, this is probably the only MMO I'd ever really find myself playing. Probably because I don't play MMOs -- I play single-player RPGs. And from my friendless perspective, this game seems like a pretty sweet deal: eight unique stories based on class, each with both light and dark side branching paths? That's sixteen separate playthroughs at least.

Who the fuck gives a shit if the gameplay is a virtual carbon copy of WoW's? You don't play Bioware games for the gameplay. You play them for the roleplay. That it's basically WoW with lightsabres just means that actually playing it doesn't suck. I'm okay with that.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 03:24:33 AM »

Who the fuck gives a shit if the gameplay is a virtual carbon copy of WoW's?
But it's fucking not, seriously. If this game is a WoW clone then every game with a hotkey battle system is.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 04:33:29 AM »

I guess the act of pressing the buttons must have a wildly different experience from video, because watching the video it looks an awful lot like the combat is straight out of wow, with very slightly more dynamic elements.

Crouton

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 06:54:56 AM »

By more dynamic than WoW, do you mean the combat text scrolls in every direction except up?

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »

I'd imagine he's talking about the animations. Much like KoTOR hid the fact that it was turn based with engaging transitional animations, TOR does a good job of hiding the fact that it is GCD based hotkeys doing everything.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »

There is also no auto attack. You have to attack every attack, even your 'attack' attacks. Which, personally, I like. All of its builder/finisher based also.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »

I guess the act of pressing the buttons must have a wildly different experience from video, because watching the video it looks an awful lot like the combat is straight out of wow
dude you're right. I just noticed that EVE, Asheron's Call, Lineage, Everquest, DaoC and Shadowbane copied it too. I can't believe I ever played those rip off artist's games.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »

I guess the act of pressing the buttons must have a wildly different experience from video, because watching the video it looks an awful lot like the combat is straight out of wow
dude you're right. I just noticed that EVE, Asheron's Call, Lineage, Everquest, DaoC and Shadowbane copied it too. I can't believe I ever played those rip off artist's games.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »

There is also no auto attack. You have to attack every attack, even your 'attack' attacks. Which, personally, I like. All of its builder/finisher based also.

There are a lot of reasons why not having an auto-attack is really, REALLY awful in these games but most of them involve completing content at higher levels where stat juggling for a 5% increased output actually matters, not that anybody here would ever advise playing an MMO endgame.

I want to play Everquest 2.  It's F2P now and is basically WoW's asperger twin!

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »

I'd go with "way more sensitive to latency and other performance issues even with a decent command queueing system" over that complaint, but yeah. I also don't think the genre is particularly suited to button mashers. A great example of why is actually Dragon Age II on consoles.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »

This is like saying that Torchlight isn't a Diablo Clone because Rogue came first.

Prior to WoW, the most popular american MMO ever released had about 400,000 players at it's peak. WoW Crested five million in about two months. You copy what's successful. Whether or not what's successful was original is irrelevant.

Also, Lineage 1 was a diablo or ultima style click target collect loot game and Eve online is not a hotkey MMO, it's a space sim. These comparisons are incredibly bad.

Lastly, I'm not saying the game isn't worth playing as a wow clone, but pretending that it's not one and that the criticism isn't valid is kind of stupid and just makes you look like you're rabidly supporting the game and ignoring it's present flaws. Of course, considering that this is exactly what you've shown everyone involved in this discussion at every opportunity and in response to every criticism, I think it's pretty obvious that's what's going on.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »

Since I've decided that EA is dedicated to making business decisions I disagree with, could someone please explain why "hotkey MMO" is a worse descriptor than "WoW Clone" for Old Republic?

For your next feat, I'd like you to explain why "First Person Shooter" is a worse descriptor than "Doom Clone" for Half-Life.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »

There are a lot of reasons why not having an auto-attack is really, REALLY awful in these games but most of them involve completing content at higher levels where stat juggling for a 5% increased output actually matters, not that anybody here would ever advise playing an MMO endgame.

I want to play Everquest 2.  It's F2P now and is basically WoW's asperger twin!

Yeah, I feel like the 'we don't have an auto attack feature!' is their way of trying to seperate themselves from WoW without realizing the long-term consequences that decision will have on gameplay balance and endgame stability.

Quote from: Rico
I'd go with "way more sensitive to latency and other performance issues even with a decent command queueing system" over that complaint, but yeah. I also don't think the genre is particularly suited to button mashers. A great example of why is actually Dragon Age II on consoles.

"I'm sorry, we are only accepting applicants with static IP cable connections or FiOS" would be a pretty hilarious reason to get an app denied from a raid guild.

But considering the reasons Age of Conan (or, if you prefer, City of Heroes) never got a stable endgame, both statements are true as to why it's a bad idea. It's hard to develop content and balance classes around constant nonstop ability use. What you're going to end up with is some combinations and classes that feel really, really weak in the endgame and balancing them will become an ever more complex issue, esp. when you get player skill and latency involved.

There's a reason we never saw any raids after Hamidon in CoX. It was basically impossible for the developers to create a balanced class spread and if you're literally telling a portion of the players they can't raid because they chose to pick a class with more passive damage boosts and fewer active abilities or not enough energy regeneration or whatever the fuck you're just asking for trouble.

Also, standing there doing nothing at all and getting hit because you're out of resources and cooldowns is pretty horseshit from a funfactor perspective.

Quote from: Classic
Since I've decided that EA is dedicated to making business decisions I disagree with, could someone please explain why "hotkey MMO" is a worse descriptor than "WoW Clone" for Old Republic?

For your next feat, I'd like you to explain why "First Person Shooter" is a worse descriptor than "Doom Clone" for Half-Life.

First Person Shooter was a good descripter for half-life rather than doom clone for the following reasons that differentiated it massively from the doom clones on the market:
1. It had uniquely different gameplay and focus
2. It was not on the Doom Engine, which immediately put it above 3/4s of the FPSes on the market at the time
3. It was actually worth fucking playing and had lasting long term appeal
4. It was not trying to copy the success of Doom.

Some of the above may apply to TOR, but don't expect people to call it anything but a WoW clone until it proves to actually be successful and substantially different from WoW. EA literally trying to copy WoW's success and stating that that was their goal (like they did with Warhammer Online) has not helped this image at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5