Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: The Last Airbender [Legend of Korra SPOILERS]  (Read 27603 times)

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
Re: The Last Airbender
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2012, 02:32:24 AM »

Yeeeep. korranation.com redirects non-US IPs to the facebook page. Uh. VPN?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »

...but is it art?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »

Quote from: http://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/korra-the-next-airbender/
For inspiration, Mixed Martial Arts fight fan Konietzko referenced female fighter Gina Carano. “Once we had the idea of a tough, athletic girl, her personality took shape pretty quickly,” he recalls.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2012, 07:44:38 AM »

Well, I got up in the actual morning to watch actual cartoons. If a(n official) stream pops up I'll make sure a link ends up in this thread.

[spoiler]Shiro Shinobi, the pro-bending announcer,[/spoiler] does the start-of-episode recap voiceovers. That's the best thing ever.

Oh, and the episode was pretty good too. Thoughts follow.

[spoiler]So we've got "stolen face" and "spirits" and "hates the Avatar." Why does this seem so familiar. Maybe there's no connection but I got a feeling like there's more to the mask than just a nasty burn. Hey, that's three characters he has something in common with.

Amon's henchmen seem very formidable. Though I can't imagine it's easy to earthbend while riding on the back of a charging animal.

Lightning being used in power plants is evidence of once-rare knowledge being spread to the masses. Sure it's difficult, but so is bending competently at all. If you know how it's done, then that's that. Creates the idea of only certain classes of people being suitable for certain kinds of work, which is an interesting concrete example of the sort of social themes one presumes the Equalists will expound on.[/spoiler]
...but is it art?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »

Double posting because we have an official stream.
...but is it art?

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2012, 01:56:02 PM »

Yay!

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »

Episode 4 aired this morning; if last week is any indication, it'll be available for streaming in a bit over four hours (and I'll post a link to it at that time probably).

This series seems to be going pretty fast, understandably given that the first season is only going to be 12 episodes. [spoiler]Tarlok is slimy in quite an entertaining way. Amon's movement is quite a bit more developed and resourceful than I had expected from the start, and it makes me wonder who's backing him. The Satos look like they're going to be fun later, but they didn't have much chance to shine in this episode.

Towards the end we also got a flashback to what could only have been Aang's memories; some screenshots were captured. The incident being remembered is likely related to the guy that Tarlok brought up at the council meeting. It also solves once and for all the mystery of what kind of beard Sokka grew.[/spoiler]
...but is it art?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2012, 07:03:03 PM »

Some intrepid soul determined that Korra's bust size is 32D (nsfw, obv).

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »

And already has a few ideas where she can go to alter it, apparently.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 01:51:02 AM »

The art in shows like this is never consistent enough to have a number set in stone for that.  They may have made her tits a bit bigger than other characters her age to offset any perceived mannishness brought on by her increased musculature, but working out measurements is just kind of creepy.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2012, 04:52:14 AM »

The art in shows like this is never consistent enough to have a number set in stone for that.  They may have made her tits a bit bigger than other characters her age to offset any perceived mannishness brought on by her increased musculature, but the internet is just kind of creepy.

ftfy

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2012, 05:26:18 PM »

...but is it art?

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »

Caught episode 5.

Okay, so Bolin is wonderful. What could have been easily terrible and angsty was saved by his dramatic overreaction.

More importantly, Korra handles character development fucking boss; I complained about this earlier in the Thundercats thread, but one of the major problems with that show is that for weeks it was like the only character who could make mistakes (or at least get called out on them, deservedly or not) was Lion-O. The Legend of Korra, on the other hand, all the characters make mistakes, with each other, and they all develop as a result. Even the wise old mentor has room to grow.

Hell, in this episode [spoiler]Korra basically found herself in the same predicament as Cheetara did. The big difference is that Korra acted like an adult and apologized to dude whose feelings she hurt.[/spoiler]

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »

...but is it art?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »

It would be nice if they could put it up on the same day as the air date. Then people wouldn't have to resort to using questionable streaming websites to get the episode.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »

Holy crap today's episode.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2012, 07:20:52 AM »

Holy fuck. Episode 6 was incredible.

Even just from a standpoint of animation! It was already better than anything else on television, but now they're just showing off. I'm gonna have to watch this three or four more times once the stream is live.
...but is it art?

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »

Waiting for the stream to be put up has become the worst part of my week.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2012, 07:29:53 PM »

Finally this episode finds direction! As much as I've been loving Legend of Korra, it lacked the overlaying motivation that the war with the Fire Nation gave the original series. Right from the beginning, the war gave Aang motivation, as well as gave him real threats in each village his visited. Korra has kind of dragged its feet, with the secret conspiracy you know little about being about as compelling as the secret conspiracy you know little about can be.  Instead, Korra has focused more on politics and pro-bending, neither of which has provided the conflicts - both personal and physical - to make the show really seem like it has momentum. Thankfully this episode takes care of that problem, and starts really moving things forward.

Now, on to speculation! 

[spoiler]I'm wondering why Korra hasn't done an avatar state yet, even when she was in very imminent danger from Amon. The flashbacks in this one showed Aang coming out of a brutal avatar state, and I wonder if that has a connection. Perhaps he did something to severe it?

Also, this episode makes very little reference to the shipping episode last week. The fact that Bolin is just taking this all in stride just shows why he is the best character.

And finally, I don't think Amon's ability to take bending away is as solid as he claims. In the ATLA finale, chi-bending was a huge thing that came with a Pink-Floyd-At-the-Lasertarium light show, and took instructions from the Lion Turtle to figure out how to do it. Amon's just seems so... lackluster. That and the enigma over who paid off the refs suggests that Amon be running a longer con than even the Equalists know.[/spoiler]

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 06:37:23 AM »

[spoiler]I'm wondering why Korra hasn't done an avatar state yet, even when she was in very imminent danger from Amon. The flashbacks in this one showed Aang coming out of a brutal avatar state, and I wonder if that has a connection. Perhaps he did something to severe it?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think it's more that Korra hasn't reached an enlightened enough mindset to achieve the Avatar State. She focuses too much on the physical aspects of bending. I imagine it was easier for Aang, as airbenders are a very spiritual sect.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]And finally, I don't think Amon's ability to take bending away is as solid as he claims. In the ATLA finale, chi-bending was a huge thing that came with a Pink-Floyd-At-the-Lasertarium light show, and took instructions from the Lion Turtle to figure out how to do it. Amon's just seems so... lackluster. That and the enigma over who paid off the refs suggests that Amon be running a longer con than even the Equalists know.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I speculated over at TT that Asami had foreknowledge of the equalists' plan and bribed the refs. She wouldn't want her boyfriend to get chi-blocked, after all. Furthermore, I suspect that his ability to depower benders is nothing more than sealing the seventh chakra, that of insight. Note where he puts his thumb. Guru Pathik said the greatest illusion was that of separation, and I think Amon is exploiting that.[/spoiler]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16