Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: KICKSTARTER KOMBAT  (Read 25091 times)

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: KICKSTARTER KOMBAT
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 04:40:44 AM »

The only reason the OCR kickstarter frustrates me is I won't likely have $50 in time to get the tier with a physical copy of the NiGHTS album.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:50 AM »

I don't agree with David Brothers on the PA Kickstarter page, and I think the hate is unwarranted. I think both Gabe and Tycho are both turds, but that they still occasionally produce something genuine, such as their intent with this Kickstarter.

Many people are complaining that they're trying to get $1,000,000 to remove ALL ADs and accusing this of being a scam. Consider, though, what that money goes to pay: 14 employees. Even if they only pay those employees $30,000 a year, that's $420,000 just for those salaries. That's almost half a million to pay people who are NOT Gabe and Tycho. And then one considers the operating costs of running servers that have to be getting several million hits a month, plus a webshow, plus a podcast, plus financing for games and other operations in addition to running two conventions a year. I think they also mentioned that they'd take less of those "Comics for other people" projects that get in the way. I don't think these guys are trolling for easy money.

And I don't think they violate Kickstarter's ideas. They're asking for money to produce NEW content for the next year. Last year, Richard Stevens used Kickstarter to fund his putting a bunch of old Diesel Sweeties books into eBook format. Nothing physical produced, only repackaging old content, but nobody in the comics community raised a shit fit over him abusing Kickstarter. Plus, there are clearly ramifications for other webcomics creators who are much smaller being able to adjust the model on a smaller scale without having to beg me and everyone else constantly to buy their shit that they may not really want. Let the haters hate, but the biggest problem people seem to have with it is the sheer SCALE of the project.

And yeah, I'm probably one of the last people on Earth to defend PA, but I actually don't have beef with this project, don't think that it "steals money from other Kickstarters", and I don't think that they should be shamed for it just because they're already a juggernaut.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »

A couple of things bother me about the PA Kickstarter. There's no transparency. How much money is going to what, exactly? If they'd included a chart with server upkeep, employee salaries and misc. expenses, that would give me a better idea.

And how does getting rid of ads benefit me, exactly? If I didn't want to see ads, I'd use AdBlock. If they'd framed this as "we're going to use this money to fund extra projects (and we can also get rid of annoying ads while we're at it)", then I think they'd get a warmer reaction.

Furthermore, why Kickstarter? It's a system for people who don't HAVE money to start projects and products. Penny Arcade is a successful business already. It's the difference between "We need your support to keep making comics" and "We need your support to keep our site ad-free", which they could probably accomplish with a DONATE widget right on their site. But of course, that doesn't have the kind of cultural cachet that a Kickstarter project has. This undermines the whole purpose of Kickstarter.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 11:35:04 AM »

A couple of things bother me about the PA Kickstarter. There's no transparency. How much money is going to what, exactly? If they'd included a chart with server upkeep, employee salaries and misc. expenses, that would give me a better idea.

This is an actual valid complaint about the whole thing, and one I think they should answer. But it's also not a complaint leveraged against many other Kickstarters.

And how does getting rid of ads benefit me, exactly? If I didn't want to see ads, I'd use AdBlock. If they'd framed this as "we're going to use this money to fund extra projects (and we can also get rid of annoying ads while we're at it)", then I think they'd get a warmer reaction.

Getting rid of ads won't affect you, which is why you don't have to pay if you don't want. To be fair though, Gabe has talked up (on his Twitter) about how they'd rather just have free time to create if they wanted to, rather than having to take on projects and other things to pay for the site.

Furthermore, why Kickstarter? It's a system for people who don't HAVE money to start projects and products. Penny Arcade is a successful business already. It's the difference between "We need your support to keep making comics" and "We need your support to keep our site ad-free", which they could probably accomplish with a DONATE widget right on their site. But of course, that doesn't have the kind of cultural cachet that a Kickstarter project has. This undermines the whole purpose of Kickstarter.

Like when Double Fine did it?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »

I didn't approve of Double Fine doing it either.

EDIT: But there is a difference between "We're going to create a product!" and "We want to run our business without relying on ad revenue for a whole year and also we might do some side projects".

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 11:49:24 AM »

Like when Double Fine did it?

DAAAMMMMMMMMMMMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 is coming 5/28/12

For the record I think that an established company making a kickstarter for an established product is a shitty thing to do, but at the same time I think a lot of the arguments against it are pretty shallow, esp. the 'stealing money from other kickstarters' one. When it comes to what is effectively charity, you either have the money to donate to charity or you don't. Maybe there's one or two people out there who can only donate 20 dollars to kickstarters this month and every other penny has to go to bills, but the only times I've kicked in to kickstarters was when I was feeling generous and had lots of money to spare.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »

I'm willing to look the other way with Double Fine since they seemed to be in a position where their shit really wouldn't get made without a cash injection.  I would of course just vastly prefer they learned how to fucking sell things though.

My issue is that nobody else is in the position of seeming to have had a centipede up their vaginas about the whole concept of the site to begin with, nor are they still making (perhaps unintentionally) insulting comments WHILE THEY DO IT about it being "just like begging, but now we call it 'crowd funding'".  If they had been more clearly supportive of the movement in the past it would be one thing, but this mostly feels like Sony Makes a Fucking Lollipop.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »

When it comes to what is effectively charity, you either have the money to donate to charity or you don't. Maybe there's one or two people out there who can only donate 20 dollars to kickstarters this month and every other penny has to go to bills, but the only times I've kicked in to kickstarters was when I was feeling generous and had lots of money to spare.

I actually find that it sort of straddles the line between purchase, investment, and charity. With individual projects having those three factors at different points on some imaginary slider bar.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »

John K wants to make Cans Without Labels, starring George Liquor -- American!

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »

I find that John K's stuff looks a whole lot uglier when there's not a producer holding him back.

Heck, even then it's not exactly easy on the eyes.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 07:45:04 PM »

The new R&S was mostly terrible (though it had its moments), but I like most of the pics on that page.  The one with the armpit things is horrifying, but in that kinda wow-I-have-never-seen-anything-like-this weird-kinda-good way.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829034266/volgarr-the-viking

Pretty cool looking platformer, just skip past their boring introduction to the actual game footage. The main character animates really nice. I like his jump landing especially. I also like how all his powerups are visible gear on the character.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »

The Hero Project- Action Figures of World

Action figures based on heroic mythical and mytho-historical characters from around the world, starting with Rama. They look plenty awesome, but I'm worried that it won't make its goal. It's got less than two weeks left and it's only a little over 1/10 funded.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »

Ice Pick Lodge of Pathologic / The Void is kickstarting a creepypasta hide and seek game:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/knock-knock

I can only approve of this.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »

Meanwhile, apparently it takes 250 thousand dollars to port a PC game to an iPad. I don't think it took that much money to make the fucking game in the first place.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2068118422/her-interactive-take-nancy-drew-games-mobile

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:41 AM »

Starting a fifty-thousand dollar kickstarter to give nancy drew books to people with ipads.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 05:28:53 AM »

guys

you have no idea how amazing these games are

my friend was streaming some of them and they are so good

i am contributing right now
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »

Guys behind the Scott Pilgrim game are making a Metal Slug called Mercenary Kings

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »

An informative breakdown of how to use Kickstarter right. Bonus points for being from a hot redhead with an amazing singing voice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19