Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Walking Dead: The Comic Book  (Read 4509 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: The Walking Dead: The Comic Book
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »

Kirkman and Moore settle, on undisclosed terms.

Well, all's well that ends well, I suppose.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »

A friend had a question about getting into the series. I couldn't answer it but maybe someone here can?

Quote from: RawMeat
So, I was trying to look at it and get an idea of how many walking dead comics there have been. The answer seems to be 103; however, all of the "complete collections" seem to be bound as 96 is the complete collection and sometimes I see it as 102, and it's pretty confusing.

If you happen to know, can you explain to me, what I would need to do, if I wanted to read "all" of the walking dead comics?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »

Latest issue (just out this week, if I'm not mistaken) is 103.  The trades are split into 6 issues each, meaning the latest trade will be vol 17 and go up to issue #102.  Vol 18 will of course be released some time after #108 is out.

There are also those big Compendium editions that hold 48 issues each; that's probably where the 96 comes from as there are only two of those so far.

tl;dr: All 3 are correct.

#103 is the latest single issue.
#102 is the latest collected issue.
#96 is the latest issue to appear in a giant Compendium edition.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 07:43:49 AM »

Thanks.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 07:45:26 AM »

Most cost-effective way to read the entire series to date is probably buy the two Compendia in paperback, then start picking up individual trades once you're done with those.

Support your local comic shop.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2012, 12:04:13 AM »

Support your local comic shop.

That locator thing is fucked.  I gave it a postal code on Vancouver Island, and the two results it gave me are in Winnipeg, Manitoba and Fort Wayne, Indiana.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »

Hm.

Well, on the one hand, it was another damn "Where's Carl?" issue.

On the other hand, I do believe this is the first time the answer to that question has been "Out [spoiler]mowing down a line of motherfuckers[/spoiler] with a machine gun."

Which I guess is kind of the holding pattern the series is in: it's a bunch of stuff we've kind of already seen but with enough little variations that, at least to me, it continues to be interesting.  I don't know what's going to happen next, except in broad strokes.

It IS an awful lot like Woodbury, and Jesus is an awful lot like Michonne.  But I don't think he's going to spend two issues being raped.

I WAS a little surprised that [spoiler]he was captured[/spoiler], but then [spoiler]he escaped[/spoiler], which pretty much just reset things.  Except with the wrinkle that [spoiler]there are now a handful of Negan's thugs who know what Rick's really up to -- but who conveniently won't tell Negan about it[/spoiler].

Meanwhile, we're seeing the risks of Rick's gambit realized pretty much immediately.  By deliberately undermining his own credibility as a leader, he hasn't just convinced Carl of the need to take things into his own hands, I think he may well be looking at a revolt.  Michonne, despite her agreement with him a couple of issues back, is awfully scowly; it'd be interesting to see her try and take control.  I can't imagine why Rick didn't tell her the plan -- of all people, she's the one he can trust to play along.

(That is, unless he DID tell her -- we don't know for certain that he didn't.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »

I've mentioned before that there are these weird little moments where something in the comic echoes something that just happened on the TV show, or vice-versa.

Negan telling Carl to take off his bandage would have been creepy enough all by itself, but it also played uncomfortably similarly to the Governor telling Maggie to take off her shirt.

Wonder how much of this is coincidence, how much is subconscious, and how much is just plain coincidental.  I'd say Negan is certainly the result of Kirkman immersing himself both in season 3 and in the Governor novel and deciding he needs another Governor-like villain.  Negan's clearly different from either version of the Governor in temperament, but his behavior's not significantly different.

There's something weirdly childlike about him, too; I think he sincerely feels bad when Carl starts crying.

Anyway.  Another talky-talky issue, but one that serves to slowly turn up the creep-o-meter.

Halfway through the arc.  I think if the next three issues are brisker, the Negan plot might get resolved by the end of it, but that's going to rely on a lot of factors.  Jesus could come to Rick with plans for a surgical strike (which would lead to ANOTHER bit of dovetailing with the TV show -- I haven't seen the finale BTW so spoilertag any talk of that episode please).  I imagine if they barricaded the exits and started a fire they could wipe out nearly all the Saviors in one fell swoop, but there's still the question of getting Carl out and, if possible, recovering the supplies Negan took.

(It's probably safe to assume that Jesus knows Negan has Carl; I imagine he kept an eye on things after his escape.  And even if he doesn't, that's going to be Rick's natural assumption.)

DestyNova

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »

Perhaps Negan will pull a Hook and try to turn Carl against Rick?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »

Maybe.  I don't see it working out so well, though.  Carl may be pissed off at his dad, but this is all about protecting and avenging his people.

But, as the finale (yeah, just watched it) pointed out, Carl's also geared to operate on the assumption that his dad might die and he'll have to be self-reliant if that happens.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2013, 10:57:09 PM »

Man, REALLY feeling the writing-for-the-trade right now.  The last two issues just feel unnecessary.

But hey, next month's issue's a multiple of 6, so even though it's clear at this point that it won't be the end of the Negan arc yet, it looks like Important Things will happen.

The cover has a guy with a tiger on it.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »

I talked a bit, after the season finale, about how, as high as the bodycount is in both the book and the comic, they nonetheless have to play by certain rules.  The comic is written for the trades; you're not going to see a major character die in the second issue of a 6-issue arc.

And another thing occurred to me today: while #112 set up a perfect narrative moment to finally kill Rick off, and #113 is the penultimate issue of this arc and therefore a good spot for a big fuck-you cliffhanger, I knew Rick wasn't going to die for one simple reason: I hadn't seen a single "Holy shit you guys you guys The Walking Dead oh shit" headline on any comics news site today.

If The Walking Dead killed off its main character, that wouldn't just be all over comics news sites, it would show up in the mainstream press, too -- much less politely and with little or no proper spoiler warning, I might add.

What #113 is -- well, I'm going to put a spoiler warning here, but really the spoilers I'm about to give aren't about anything that happened so much as things that didn't happen.

What #113 is is a People Stand Around Talking and the Issue Ends Exactly Where it Started issue.  I think it speaks both to Kirkman's greatest strength and greatest weakness as a storyteller -- this is some serious fucking decompressed trade-writing going on, and as much as he's ratcheted up the stakes you could skip this issue entirely and not miss a goddamn thing.

BUT, it still managed to preserve the tension, still managed to make my heart beat faster.  I think that counts for something.

I really liked how Negan was played in this issue, too -- this is as off-the-deep-end-crazy as we've ever seen him, but he's crazy like a fox.  He never loses control -- he screams and he curses and he talks about rubbing his dick on his baseball bat, but at no point does he get sloppy or make a mistake.  It's an interesting contrast to the Governor, or at least the TV version of him, who seemed so tightly controlled and then just fucking snapped and blew everything he had in a single moment of anger.  Maybe there's something to be said here about catharsis -- the Governor took command as a burden and hid his true nature from most of the people around him, while Negan delights in being top dog and not only is he not afraid of scaring or disgusting people, he takes utter glee from it.

And while I suppose it does sort of border on speckling the fourth wall again, when he explains outright that he's not going to kill Rick, his reasoning is sound.  Rick's the leader; if he makes him a martyr then he's in for a world of shit, so really the only option he's got is to break his spirit.  And he knows his only chance of that is to kill Carl, so that's going to be his focus now.

Anyhow.  The next arc is All-Out War, so I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that Rick and Negan are both going to survive next month.

It's interesting ground to tread; of all this book's done in 113 issues, it's never really gotten into a legitimate war between two settlements.  The Governor's attack on the prison and Rick's disposal of the cannibals don't count; those were not even contests, they were slaughter.  What we're looking at here is something altogether more interesting -- two groups that are somewhat evenly-matched, both planning ahead for what's coming.

We saw a little bit of it in the skirmishes between Woodbury and the prison last season on the show, but this is going to be a lot bigger than that.  We're talking two actual armies at this point -- small ones, sure, but still a lot bigger than any group of people we've seen prior to now.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »

I hate to be that guy, but can we just pick out the exact point where we each stopped giving a fuck? Because the author-surrogate "who should I kill" thing was probably where I realized I should just let this go. Fool me eight or more times, shame on me.

(Moron!)

I mean, at this point I would be immensely relieved if the author had a breakdown and turned this into two years worth of theological exposition with zombie Woody Allen. Or everyone explodes into amniotic fluid or whatever. That'd be fine. Just stop.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2013, 02:13:49 AM »

I hate to be that guy

You're not alone. This series has always seemed pretty bullshit to me in it's pointless circular masochism, yet it sure is well-loved.

Of course "You're not alone" may not be very comforting words if you look around in the lifeboat and the 'other guy' you see is Mongrel, but anyhoo...

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2013, 02:54:12 AM »

Nah, I felt the same way. I got as far as book 3, where they get to the prison, and then they had this whole sequence where the farmer guy, who just got over the death of his wife and several kids (after Rick and company accidentally led the zombie to his farmhouse), is kind learning to deal with it. Then, as they're settling into the prison, this one former inmate is like "hey I can help out by cutting your kids hair if you'd like" and the farmer agrees, I believe because he wanted his remaining kids to feel some kind of normalcy again.

Then when they go back to them, later, all of the kids' heads were cut off by the inmate, in the barber chair. There's this panel were the farmer dad sees it and falls to his knees, cursing god, and I was like, "Welp."

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2013, 02:57:29 AM »

I skimmed through cbr's of the next few, with the evil mayor and such, but it's hard to get invested when every new character they get is killed off not long afterwards.

I get that the series is about survival, and not so much building anything, but that's weirdly dull.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2013, 04:04:46 AM »

I think someone in Finalfight once talked about how funny it would be if there was a show where after each episode everyone dies and a new cast takes their place. Does that about sum up Walking Dead as a whole?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2013, 07:50:05 AM »

The moment I stopped caring about The Walking Dead as a comic was when I realized how much better it works as a dialogue driven adventure game.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »

I hate to be that guy, but can we just pick out the exact point where we each stopped giving a fuck? Because the author-surrogate "who should I kill" thing was probably where I realized I should just let this go. Fool me eight or more times, shame on me.

It's not a single moment; it's more like diminishing returns.

I know my uncle quit even thumbing through my copies after #50.

Me, I'm still entertained enough to keep buying copies, but it's certainly not fresh anymore and, as I noted earlier, I'm down to, what, three or four characters I give a fuck about?

Ezekiel's got some promise, though.

The moment I stopped caring about The Walking Dead as a comic was when I realized how much better it works as a dialogue driven adventure game.

The game really IS the best version of the thing.  (Adding: I haven't read the prose novels.)  Though it takes one more opportunity just to twist the knife in poor old Hershel.
Pages: 1 2 [3]