Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: I'll Rape Japan! Let's Play Sengoku Rance!  (Read 119318 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I'll Rape Japan! Let's Play Sengoku Rance!
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 05:05:36 PM »

Entering Turn 14, I've really been pushing my guys. Fighting three wars at the same time is the sort of thing that would instantly game-over somebody playing blind... of course, fighting less than two wars at a time will eventually game-over somebody when the *PLOT* catches up to them much later. One war is always safest, but always be at war, and if you can handle more, all the better.

I refill Rance's troops and head to prison...

MY POWER IS CAPPED OUT.

AGH.

MY HUBRIS.

Fine let's do other... non battle things.

We can improve the former Ashikaga land with Construction 12 vs Construction 15 for Oda, so we ask our four generics to grant us a mighty +1 National Power. Low value, sure, but it's permanent and it all adds up.

The second thing I'll do is toss 5 more lame prisoners and Pokkuru Rance to 43.

And the third thing... hmm. This won't help our national power but I want to blow a turn and get enough gold to full heal my troops for what I do next. Let's... go dungeon fighting instead!

Dungeon and Map actions are separated, somewhat. The guys I Exhausted with the Construction job can detach from their units and fight alone, and Dungeon Battles are like a party of people fighting monsters instead of army fights. Commanders KO'd in the dungeon become Exhausted, even if they have not done any actions on the map or entered Army Battle, so there is some risk. I throw in my best and start off.

Each spawn is random based on how difficult the dungeon you're in is. Units generally have sameish stats compared to their armies. Heavy hitters deal good damage, etc. Foot Soldiers can even use their Guard Functions, but most other units have changed or reduced functions. Fuuka can heal, but can't Miko Storm. Almost every character has a 1 Flag Normal Attack and an All Flags Strong Attack for 1.5x damage.

Flag use in dungeons is different. It's like a monster gauntlet. This is a 6 floor dungeon, my flags will not replenish between floors, so I need to defeat 6 waves of monsters with the flags I have across all my characters.

: Alright, so you'd see this command and think "Oh, they can switch places?" Useful if you had like 6 melee guys, right? WRONG! Switch will swap the unit out with a random unit you didn't put into your initial party and they'll fly into action with full Action Flags and shit, unless you've already swapped them out and they swap back in again. This is incredibly important, it vastly increases how far you can go in any dungeon and it's completely non-obvious. If you have all six of your current characters run out of Action Flags, you automatically lose and retreat from the dungeon... even with fresh characters off-screen! Agh!

Rance is inspired in a between-floors scene.

After each wave, you can keep going or retreat. Retreating eats your Action Fan all the same. So why retreat? First off, if you retreat you can come back to the Dungeon at +1/X... or in this case, we'd start at Floor 2/6 instead of Floor 1. This lets you whittle down even the toughest dungeons! Second off, Dungeons randomly give loot at a good rate so it can be useful to farm them for stat books or something. Tragically, you will not be given your 1 Floor Starting Bonus if you go too far and wipe out, so it's dangerous to over-extend.

Much like Army fights, order of units is important. We don't have a turn limit, but take out stuff before it attacks!

After a vicious squid-mauling we come across the final floor and a mini-boss encounter. Freedoms melee, Nyos prepare spells, and the big goofy thing shoots lasers.

A little cut-scene where a Hanniwa explains the benefits. Every dungeon you clear is +1 level to all units, even the slackers off-screen. So with everybody but Rance having reduced level caps, you can see how easy it is for them to cap out and thus not need Pokkurus.

We also get either a set item depending on the dungeon, or a bonus item from a higher class of strong equipable.

Random loot! Very rare, very useful. I'll use it later.

My semi-random dungeon clear bonus! Very practical, I'll drop it on Katsuie for now. Thus ends Turn 14.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2012, 05:21:32 PM »

A more interesting than usual clash between Uesugi and Takeda.

Still ends in a draw.

Hara House attacks me and I decide to use everything I've got because my guys are wounded(a wise decision, Shouji is leading them), but then Ashikaga House attacks and I've got nothing left, forcing me to eat a single territory loss. The general rule of thumb is to avoid losing territory when you're invading, but it's acceptable to give up every territory but the last from your own land, as it won't flip over until then.

Ashikaga's such a wuss and it's so early this isn't a problem.

A monk messenger brings us a sacred gourd from the Tenshi Sect and we immediately break it, causing a mysterious vapor to fly into Nobunaga's mouth and knock him unconscious.

Let's discuss the *PLOT* a bit.

The Status Screen shows you which nations possess Gourds, and now, which Gourds have broken.

When five Gourds break, bad shit will happen. Oda's Gourd will always break at the start of Turn 15. A second Gourd will break at the start of Turn 30. At turns 50, 70 and 90 a Gourd will break, so by Turn 90 we are guaranteed to get a heaping helping of *PLOT* no matter how hard we've tried to avoid it. This is why conquering as much land as you can and thus getting more commanders with stronger Max HP and better loot and more National Power and etc etc is better than any sort of modesty or peace. Eventually the Gourds must break and you must face the consequences whether you are 30 Commanders Strong with 4-digit stacks, or ready to restart your entire save with your shitty mid-game army.

We can accelerate the process or let it drag out to turn 90! How it works is "simple", and by that let me explain my pain-staking research.

1) If you defeat a House that holds a Gourd, the Gourd will be seized and broken within a few turns(2-4.) If you do this, it will post-pone the next scripted Gourd break. I.E. I defeat Ashikaga House on this, Turn 15. The scripted break at Turn 30 does not occur, replaced instead by a spontaneous break by Turn 20. The next scripted Break will be Turn 50, unless I seize another Gourd-owning House and post-pone it again. I have not actually tested that theory yet, but I will this playthrough.

2) If you defeat four Gourd possessing Houses, as soon as the fifth Gourd breaks a few turns after the last defeat, the 5 Gourd Plot event begins. Or if you defeat 3 after 2 scripted breaks, etc. Counting Oda's first. Any combination of 5 does it. The theory here is that I can defeat three Houses that possess Gourds, but the 4th will be one too many and cut short my prep time before Turn 90.

3) Once the 5 Gourd Plot event begins, you can clear any Gourd possessing Houses you've been squatting on or waiting to attack. You can't make a bad thing worse.

Since the Gourd possessing Houses are juggernauts like Uesugi and Takeda, we're not really in too much danger of going on an early plot event rampage. But we must keep them firmly in mind.

NEXT TIME ON TURN 15: FUCK YOU, CHOUSHIN!

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2012, 10:54:41 PM »

. Eventually the Gourds must break and you must face the consequences whether you are 30 Commanders Strong with 4-digit stacks, or ready to restart your entire save with your shitty mid-game army.

I am honestly surprised I was able to finish the game, I sort of sat around for way too long and things went pretty bad once PLOT happened. I missed out on a LOT of good stuff.

That's why I'm enjoying this LP, I get to see what happens if you play in a non-crappy way. :D

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2012, 03:09:34 AM »

The funny thing is that I've made a lot of mistakes already. A few bad unit comps have led to me taking extra damage that costs more gold to heal, which is why I'm having money troubles in Turn 14, I actually didn't just reload until Kenshin didn't show up once, and I probably in hindsight should have held off on the 5 National Power Cost of the Foot Soldier Training area. There's also a good chance that opening with three wars will backfire.

Fortunately, my LP should also show you ways to cope with a bad situation and that you don't need to play a perfect game to have a good time.

But if you wanted to... you can do cool shit like get three Action Fans by Turn 14. You can really push it to the limit in early offenses.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2012, 04:22:24 AM »

I think the main thing that held me back early on was just juggling defence and offence. Like i kept overextending and trying to grab land too fast, and didn't have enough defence afterwards. And then once I had captured a few areas, and had no more wars doing, I'd sit around and just keep improving stuff. Which was sort of bad once the plot came around. I honestly felt really bad for just sitting around.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2012, 09:57:49 AM »

Alright, we need to defeat Ashikaga twice and still have left-overs for at least one defense.

Let's do this... GENERIC STYLE!

Niwa's huge Archer stack one-shots those Diviners before they cast anything and they can't break Maeda's Guard. Piece of cake. The fancy girl in the middle looks semi-unique, but she's just a rare generic face, I've seen her multiple times before.

It's time to destroy Ashikaga House! You get Boss Music when you take the last territory of the last province of a House... as the House Lord will frequently show up to defend with a strong unit comp!

Sengoku Rance OST - Advance On (v2)

So we show up with the same!

We open with a Shuriken and a Chun while Akechi takes a Shuriken to the face of his own from Grandma Ninja. Popping the enemy Tactician gets us a Morale boost and prevents him from stripping our +Speed Buffs, or giving his units more Buffs. He had a +Attack of his own and might have dealt meaningful damage too!

Smart Chun Chun use reduced that starting 50% Guard Meter to 10%, so Katsuie tramples exposed Ninjas. They inflict 2 damage in the counter-attack and are wiped out... Ninja can melee, they just don't want to.

Alpha'd his good Warrior stack!

Our Speed Buffs are really useful, we're going at a nearly 2:1 ratio compared to Choushin, who has not even gone yet himself. The Warriors strike Rance in return and the Guards fortify, but Chun Chun ignores those losers and pings more damage out.

With no meaningful buffs on the enemy side(two +Intelligence to no meaningful casters), Akechi contributes some arrows to the pot-luck ass-kicking.

That Green Arrow lets me know when Rance's next turn is, if it'll be in the next 8 or so moves(i.e. visible on the screen.) So I melee the Warriors for the kill and wait to Rance Attack to finish.

God Damnit I wanted to Rance Attack Choushin. Oh well. Please take this time to set the Advance On(v2) timer to 1:30, when the totally sweet guitar kicks in.

I atomize these Foot Soldiers and Shuriken the Archers...

Exposing the back row and a solitary Choushin!

FUCK YOU, CHOUSHIN!

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »

Believe it or not that took a few reloads, the defender bonus on a Castle is huge and Choushin's floating a good unit comp with well-sized stacks for once, aside from his own awful unit. All the same... Turn 15 ends with a Victory!

We've conquered Kyo, which is the capital I guess. Lots of noble families.

Happening across the nobleman's daughter and her friend playing a shell game, Rance introduces them to a new type of game.

... And we hit 29 Satisfaction. That's one less than desired! Boo! Bumping up to 18/23 National Power means we can recruit somebody next turn, though. Hoo-ray!

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »

I need to juggle reloads a few times here because I needed Katsuie to get the win against Choushin and my current unit comp can't actually win any defensive battles. Eventually...

I get a between-turn where the Miko Institute attacks my land instead of reclaiming their own. As a bonus, Hara House is also quiet this turn. The Oil Fields are 3/3 Oda, so I let the Miko Institute have one territory, making it 2/3. I can let them have another to save my units from defending, but I'd have to defend the last territory or risk things getting ugly.

New neighbors!

Tanegashima House is a single province nation of proud craftsmen. They're neutral and driven mostly by profit and pride and are eager to showcase their latest development to all comers.

Tanegashima Shigehiko is a legendary blacksmith and inventor of the new weapon, the Musket. He reverse-engineered it from a Tulip cannon stolen from Leazus. He is made of Playstation 1 polygons because.

Yuzuhara Yuzumi is Shigehiko's subordinate and lives to improve her marksmanship, unusually quiet and reserved.

I impose a levy upon Kyo to get some funds and an item. I think this is one of the rare few times something extra occurs.

Rance, you loveable scamp.

My troops are finally fully healed and I have spare national power, but my Negotiation is still low. I'll recruit Ikkyu first... and that still takes 4 of my best speakers to do so!

Non-generics get a special prison cutscene. We can see here that clearly my argument persuaded him and those were four commanders well-Exhausted.

We've discussed Ikkyu's uncanny ability to alter reality before, but notice his 6 Attack, 6 Speed, 6 Negotiate and 4s across the board. He's twice the fighter Akechi is while still being good at matters of state. An unusually good early find.

But recruiting him leaves me with only enough dudes to defend, so let's piss away the rest of my turn with an easy Search 5 in Kyo for a new dungeon.

A talkative restaurant owner tells us of a legend and we learn of the dungeon Kachikachi that will let us travel to the bottom of Lake Biwa. But that's our Turn 16 over!

Dogstar

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2012, 10:40:45 AM »

I was going to say that if you were at 29 Satisfaction, might it have been worth blowing a fan to go to the Harem and get to 30?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2012, 10:44:50 AM »

I was going to say that if you were at 29 Satisfaction, might it have been worth blowing a fan to go to the Harem and get to 30?

That's more of a last resort or a very specific thing to do for Easter Eggs(you have to cycle through the Harem twice to unlock a scene that clears Hara Shouji if you recruit him, for example. A lot more hassle than it's worth unless you really want the Completion credit.)

Nobunaga has woken up and is alive and all, just really sick. Kou's worried!

Hara and Miko attack and I show them the door.

I was lazy on caps but Kenshin helped me against Hara so I did the 2 unit defense again. What luck! As Rance basks in his own glory... ASSASSINS ATTACK!

Not very well, mind you, but this is just the first encounter. More will show up randomly throughout the game so we see one of the first good benefits of favoring Rance for Leveling.

Sill fights with us! She's actually a very capable magician and can one-shot these losers as easily as Rance can with fireballs. Sill will also show up and switch in during dungeon battles, she just doesn't have her stats listed anywhere and it's random. She often runs in if somebody is KO'd.

Hate? Rance? I don't understand.

Seems Iga is spying on us and is well aware of our recent Gourd incident. But it turns out Nobunaga is not sick... but cursed!

New neighbors!

A religion followed by half of Japan, Tenshi Sect rules Naniwa, a two-province set-up to our West. They have huge political power but don't seem to run around doing things like the Miko Institute or Houjou House. Tenshi Sect has huge appeal to the common people and peasant armies tend to support them.

A stern older man and Lord of the Tenshi Sect, Seigan is dedicated to overseeing the Gourds. His scythe isn't for show and is a powerful artifact known as Death's Scythe.

Seems the Gourds are serious business, but considering they just inspected ours, this is actually a decent plan!

Maybe.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »

Although I opened that dungeon up and it's only 4 floors deep, a quick peek and a reload reveals that it draws from a more dangerous mid-game monster pool. We'll ignore it for now.

With Ikkyu's 6 Negotiate, we can barely recruit Isoroku with the use of 5 of our Commanders! She's worth it though, easily the best Archer in the entire game. 4 action points, 5s or better in battle stats and access to two unique moves we'll see later. But once again we've exhausted everything but our defensive force. But that's fine. So why don't I just use Rance's Place to get +1 Satisfaction? Because I have a few cutscenes to farm! First off, we'll take Isoroku to Ashikaga's land and check up on her brother!

... Welp. At least Rance and Isoroku both have goals now. Both revolving around Isoroku's lady bits.

And we've got a new cutscene available for My Slave Sill, so let's check that.

After some quality banging, Rance butters Sill up before proposing his new plan.

Schwing! Rance's Hyper Weapon instantly gets half ready for action. Unable to keep from coming, Rance decides to bang once and fall asleep. +5 Satisfaction gained for 34 total, much more efficient than the actual Harem option!

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »

Miko attacks me again, but it's a total wash. Only thing of note is that I don't capture a semi-unique NPC... a spikey-haired boy named Goemon, commanding a Ninja Unit. He has above-average stats and already knows a few of the advanced Ninja techniques and is reasonable to have around for another good Searcher.

Moving into Turn 18, let's try to 1-2 punch the Miko Institute.

A very narrow success, as my Generics don't do knock-out damage(even with Attack Boosts!) and a Guard Wall is an effective stall. Winning a defense on a Field with a mere +10% Morale is pretty hard though, and barely knocking out that one unit does the trick. Why the enemy went with 3 Foot Soldiers and a Monk and trapped the Monk in the back is anyone's guess, as Himiko would have rather handily made this a loss if she hit me.

Toss 5 more Generics from Prison, Level up Rance, toss Isoroku +6 Affection worth of gifts for 7/7 Points, use a Defense Textbook to bump Rance from 4 to 5 Defense, use an Attack Textbook to bump Suzume from 5 to 6 Attack, use the Construction Bar on Ikkyu for 4 to 5 Construction. That clears my back-log of useful loot for now!

LET'S TAKE ON THEM NO-GOOD PEACE-LOVING MIKOS!

Sengoku Rance OST - Advance On (v2)

God Damn, Natori's unit comp here is a nightmare, and that Souma guy is a semi-unique generic: he has above average stats, 5 action flags as a Warrior and he can Rance Attack us right back with "Commander Charge." Their tactician isn't making things any easier by tossing him an Attack Boost.

An Alpha by Rance and Suzume neuters Souma and gets free Morale off Natori. You might notice that Natori enters this battle at half health: if you defeat a Commander in a random offense/defense and they're scripted to appear in say, the final territory defense, they appear at half health if they were annihilated prior. So popping enemy Commanders when they grace us with their presence is a tactical consideration, like a Sniper popping a General.

Fuuka prepares Miko Storm, as we'll need all the morale we can get against this turtle.

Get dunked!

1:30 on Advance On(v2), you know what's next. I'd blast Natori with my Hyper Weapon but this infernal Foot Soldier unit has 170% meter.

GET

DUNKED!

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2012, 11:47:23 AM »

Natori tells Rance of the Miko of Death, a mysterious Miko who arrived at the Institute 15 years ago. When she would lay with men, she would not only drain their sins... but their souls!

Rance doesn't get it and finishes up...

This gives me an Affection Power-Up Prompt for Rance, but that's much less exciting than a Satisfaction bonus. I can teach Rance "Charge", which will consume an Action Flag to boost his attack by 70% for the rest of a battle, improve his Level by +2 or his Troop Max by +100... but I'll go for the practical, rest of the game bonus and improve his melee to Warrior Attack 2, which is an extra 10% damage on his army's default melees.

And that ends Turn 18.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »

Nobunaga has a weird dream where he floats in darkness, doing and seeing nothing. He feels that the dreams last longer and longer each time they occur... when he suddenly becomes aware of voices.

ZOUNDS!

Turn 19 begins and we recruit Natori with 4 Commanders.

You don't actually have to do anything about it, but the Miko Institute will remain open and conduct it's business of protecting the world from Orochi, so I guess we didn't cause the Japanese apocalypse. Orochi would make sense as an end-boss, but he's actually an optional super boss and access to him involves clearing Natori in the Dating Sim elements, among other things and characters. We may do that later, we may not. We'll see how my army shapes up near the end game or if this second playthrough unlocks new opportunities. Defeating Orochi will get us +10 Game Clear Score.

With 4 Action Flags, 6 Attack, 8 Defense, 8 Intelligence, 8 Speed, 3 Search, 7 Negotiate, 5 Construction and Miko Storm 2, Natori is an insanely great early unit that is useful for the entire game. She even has an upgraded Miko Dance, Healing Mist, which heals all of your units for a small amount.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »

A blah turn. We'll grab Rance's 30 Satisfaction bonus, I'm ready for an Amazing Old Man...

TH.. THE OPTION IS GONE! WHAT THE HELL! Yes, the bonuses for Satisfaction come and go with a few prominent ones staying... I can still boost Rance to Elite Troops, but I've lost my Amazing Old Man option temporarily, replaced by opportunities to increase Sill's healing or to get the item Takano Seven. We'll grab the item because increasing Sill's healing kind of sucks: she always heal 30 or so units and each Healing boost in the game is +5. All of them together would be decent, but as my armies begin to hit the 4 digit mark...

A good item and a new type, a gold item, Takano Seven benefits every unit. Remember to actually have somebody equip a Gold Item or it will do nothing and you will get as mad as I did when I realized this... at Turn 70 of my last playthrough.

Miko land was razed to the ground and was rather barren to begin with, so we have a single unit improve it with an easy Construction 3. Turn 19 ends quickly and quietly, but next up is Turn 20 and the expiration of any fears we had of conquering Hara's province! Feeling nervous for some reason, Hara tries to attack first and I send six of my best units to cave their assholes in. Defense is now really easy without risking the need for two defenses or more every turn while still putting out an offense.

We see Goemon again, but...

Doh.

A new Nobunage development. He refuses to see 3G or Kouhime.

Hmm. The sect of devout monks are the real villains. This seems plausible.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2012, 02:07:19 PM »

New options!

If we visit Nobunaga, we won't accomplish much story-wise, but we will get a nice item and can do it again for another nice item... and after that not much else. Oppressing the Tenshi Sect doesn't have immediate consequences but the 500 gold you get is chump change for an Action Fan. Feed Toukichirou will accelerate the *PLOT* and is only available on New Game+. Toukichirou is the monkey on Nobunaga's shoulder and he steals a Gourd on turns 30/50/70/90... it was pointed out that given Nobunaga is Nobunaga, Toukichirou is probably a subtle reference to Hideyoshi, Oda's clever monkey.

We'll accept our reinforcements from Zeth! My national power is capped, so I'm going to eat the Action Fan loss... it's often possible for the Reinforcement unit from a Satisfaction bonus to automatically join your army between turns, playing the same cutscene and all. It's just based on available National Power, for the most part. Riding the cap as I have been this playthrough would be dangerous blind, but I already know who, when and where I'm recruiting so I'm fine with it.

Woah! A beautiful woman! *pulls ears*

Above average stats, ranged attack like Sill. Guess we'll find out what her passive is next turn.

For now... let's crush Hara House! Enjoy this montage of intense battle.

And my actual winning screen-cap...

With his tendency to open with a full strength Volley and fighting from his Castle, this battle's morale bonus is Hell. We're able to squeak by with some luck after about five attempts(Shoujoi volleys on his last turn at half health) and the abuse of Miko Storm 1 + 2 double-cast. Yup, 40% damage to every enemy unit. Anything under 40% health? Dead. If you're having trouble with a particular battle don't be afraid to reload many times and juggle your composition, possible Tactician buffs, or order of operations. You can very frequently turn a close loss into a win.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »

The end of Hara House. About as psychotic as the surrender but much less bloody.

Akihime is always captured as a sex slave on your first playthrough. This option only appears in New Game+. Because I love you dopes so much, I'm going to take her as a commander and share her stats.

5 Action Fans is good and she has 4 or better in every stat, but as a spoiled and useless princess she has 1/1/1 Negotiate, Construction and Search. And she has a National Power cost of 4 as a small unit because she's so spoiled! Starting with Healing Mist as a Miko is good for a healing support fire unit, but we already have two better Mikos that can obliterate 40% of an army practically for free. NO SALE.

Naturally I have to redo the last Hara fight because you can't save during conversations or battles. Confound you, LP!

Rance teaches Aki a bit of humility the only way he knows how.

We capture Shouji and toss him in jail...

6 Attack and 6 Defense make him a really strong Archer and his Volley Skill is unique, a Shouji only skill. Any other Archer unit can learn Unskilled Volley, which does the same thing after Preparation. Volley burns all your flags and immediately hits every unit for about 75% of his usual damage. If I didn't plan to use Yanmoto and wasn't already overloaded with Ranged firepower thanks to my Zeth recruit, I'd consider using him. As it is, I plan to fill 30 slots sooner than you'd think and don't particularly like him or his Character Clear path. We'll dismiss him later, but it is a bit strange how Aki was always dumping on his manhood, considering he could be called the second greatest Archer in all of Japan. I like the little sprite touch he has in battle of having an extra arrow stand behind him so he can just machine-gun those suckers out in Volley.

You may notice that a lot of units, especially those we pull from Prison start at "Hate" status. This has no negative effects in battle or anything, it just means you have to get their Affection higher than usual. Hate -> Normal -> Trust -> Love(Optional.)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »

Between turns, Iga is surprised that Zeth sent aid to Oda so quickly or at all. He immediately suspects Rance.

Seigan seems to be preparing blind girls for some sort of ritual! He also orders a messenger to Oda to protest the treatment of his followers in Oda land.

It has been about 3-4 turns, so one of Nobunaga's private ninjas jacks the Gourd from Ashikaga's occupied land and brings it back to him.

Zoinks!

Turn 21 is criminally boring. I use the levies option twice for +4000 gold and two stat books, give Rizna +Intellect for a boost from 4 to 5, give Isoroku +Attack for a boost from 5 to 6, and a +1 Affection gift to Natori. Here's a shot of the map to let you see how my land looks having conquered three houses and how many neighbors I have.

I'm expecting plot related antics shortly, but I should have enough freedom to pick a fight with an optional foe from either Tanegashima, Tokugawa or Asai-Asakura. I don't want to fight Iga as they're very, very, very slow to provoke and possess a Gourd, Takeda is suicide right now and Uesugi is another Gourd house. I can't go to war with Tenshi Sect yet, but the option for Takeda opened up around the time I defeated the Miko Institute. Still saving them for later and a better army for Second Playthrough reasons. If I defeat Tanegashima House next, I will be forced(by my good sense and not anything in the game) to begin war with...

Mouri Motonari

Which just makes me want to go fight Tanegashima, honestly... but I put a brief vote to you, dear readers. Please post my destiny!

The Musketeers of Tanegashima and an open border with Mouri?

The Tanuki of Tokugawa and a clash with Racoon Dad?

Or The Beautiful Daughter of Asai-Asakura and another bout of beating up unwilling pacifists?

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »

A Beautiful Daughter is all the reason Rance needs to attack.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »

Stick it to the pacifists! And then stick it in the pacifists!

Also I see Nobunaga does want to set monks on fire after all. Here's to speaking too soon!  :nyoro~n:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16