Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Looking at chicks makes you happy. Let's Play Earthbound!  (Read 23319 times)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at chicks makes you happy. Let's Play Earthbound!
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »

Though it does come from an age when players were still expected to get game-overs quite a bit.
...but is it art?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »

Losing is so fun!
Losing is so fun!
Now it's time to try again and see if I can win.
Fuck! This game!
Azumanga cooking is so fun

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2012, 01:41:43 AM »

I've been going through my Earthbound .spc soundtrack, I am sort of amazed at how many damn songs there are in this game.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2012, 06:49:18 AM »

There are a lot of tracks, but some of them are purely ambient, or very brief (like a meteorite falling).

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »

:|

Paralysis is the opposite of "silence" status from most other games. The affected target can't move or attack, but can use PSI powers and some special abilities.

Once we get back to Twoson, we get a call on the Receiver Phone!

Get over here as fast as you can! This thing is soooo cool! See you soon! Slam! Beeeep.

Whoa, what does the game think it's pirated now? Cripes.

No one's home.

As a true genius, I'll tell you that he's in Burglin Park, looking for you.

but finally the Pencil eraser is ready. This machine will eradicate all pencil-shaped figurines in just one second. It's incredibly powerful. Just don't use it near a shop that sells pencils. If I invent some other brilliant item, I'll call you.

Well, isn't that convenient.

It's not a bad idea to deposit all your cash before you go to Peaceful Rest Valley, for reasons we shall soon see.

Welp, here goes.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2012, 07:31:33 AM »

EarthBound (SNES) Music - Photographers's Theme

Oh yeah, we get our picture taken again.

Okay, now on with Peaceful Rest Valley. (Called Grateful Dead Valley in the Japanese version, changed for presumably-copyright reasons.)

Mother 2/ EarthBound - Peaceful Rest Valley

And right off, we run into one of the area's most brutal enemies in a map full of brutal enemies.

The Territorial Oaks can bash for not-insignificant damage. They can also use Brainshock to cause Feeling Strange status, or a vacuum attack to lower both your offense and defense a little. But no, that's not the worst part.

When defeated, the Territorial Oak bursts into flames, dealing...

More damage than you could possibly have HP for at this point, and instantly vaporizing any teddy bears you may have brought along for protection. You can still win as long as the YOU WON message comes up before the rolling HP meter hits 0, but still. Dick move, game.

Throw in Li'l UFOs (dodge most attacks, can cause Cold status), and Mobile Sprouts (summon more Mobile Sprouts, can leech away your PP with PSI Magnet), and...

Spinning Robos, which

Also cause Cold status, and the generally twisty, malignant design of the pathways through the map, and Peaceful Rest Valley is generally considered the hardest part of the game. It's not uncommon to find yourself sapped of HP from exploding trees, with a cold, and unable to heal yourself because you've had all your PP drained away.

We manage to heal our cold with PSI, though.

The only saving grace is that magic butterflies have a couple of spawn points around, so there's some limited recovery options there.

I'm honestly surprised I made it through on my first try.

The cave is full of Coil Snakes.

Plain ol' regular Coil Snakes.

Whew!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2012, 07:48:37 AM »

Mother 2/ EarthBound Music - Happy Happy is Blue
For a place called Happy Happy Village that is some dreary, depressing music right there.

I'm collecting donations to help protect the world from contaminants.

Blue, blue!

:deal:

If you give her any money, you get a postcard. It doesn't do anything, though.

so he is able to deliver inspired messages.

The only nonblue house in the game talks with some weird font. And says "Boing!"

I thought you were one of us! You know I was joking! Ha ha ha! Just forget about this...

Check-a-roo

But we're not one of them, so the hotel will charge us $50 to stay.

my wife who had run out on me returned home!

I meant he's looking for a girl who can be the high priestess of Happy-happyism. I heard he's already got her.

Insane Cultists sling paint around and occasionally call for help. They're not terribly dangerous

until they call for help enough times to mob you.

Condiments, ladies and gentlemen.

Of course, defeating so many enemies in one battle is good for EXP.

And cultists sometimes drop PSI caramels, which restore 20 PP. PP-restoring items are crazy-rare, so that's a good find. Caramels pair well with sugar packets.

You must think you're pretty important, and boy do you have a lot of nerve! You deserve to be struck by lightning.

I want them all to listen, even if it requires kicking their butts.

Glad to hear you're not opposed to peace at all, Silas. H. Asskicker.

The stand sells fresh eggs and bananas for standard prices, but you can choose to pay however much you want. If you underpay or pay nothing, the Unassuming Local Guy there will fight you for it.

People call that place Lilliput Steps, and it makes them feel uneasy.

Cures all status ailments short of unconscious. Wasn't that easy? And so much shorter than what she actually said.

Equipment upgrade.

Homesickness will start to set in now.

It's a strange and anti-blue place. I can't stop thinking about it... and I can't even go near that place.

One place left to go...

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2012, 07:59:42 AM »

EarthBound Music - Zombie Paper

And then Shigesato Itoi said "How many cultists can we cram onto a single screen before the SNES explodes? Yeah, sounds good. Put down that many."

Most of the cultists are too entranced to bother you, but they are in the way. This room is a maze, and you have to find the cultists that are swaying slightly faster than the rest and talk to them to open the path forward.

Or to treasure. Croissants are a little better than hamburgers, and pair well with... uh, ketchup. :shrug:

You might think this is a mistranslation, but nope. He's just a weird guy, even in Japanese.

A weird guy you have to fight.

'cause I didn't know what else to do!

That statue looks awfully familiar.

I need your assistance to help make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society. Will you be my right-hand assistant?

Happy and peaceful sounds good. Sure.

Guess that was the wrong answer.

Let's try that again.

Hey, Earthbound isn't pitiful! I mean it's kind of

...hmm.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2012, 08:10:51 AM »

Well, there's this cave at the back of the village.

Leads to a little shack.

Earthbound - Paula's Prison

A prison shack.

I had a dream that a boy named Snes was my destiny. I know it's hard to believe. Therefore, I knew you would rescue me. If you hadn't come, I would have had to try to bust out of here. You can't open the door.

Japanese: "If you hadn't come, I might have... have cried." We don't tolerate no wussy-sissy girls here in AMURRICA.

Nope.jpg. He's already killed me with lightning. Twice.

I assure you you are correct.

Oh. Uh, sure.

Don't worry about me, just kick butt like I know you can!

The Franklin Badge sits in your inventory but doesn't need to be equipped. If the character is hit with an electrical attack, the Badge reflects it back to whoever initiated that attack. Not many enemies rely heavily on electric attacks, but we'll hang onto it anyway.

Oh. Hey, Porky.

You can call me Master Pokey, since Mr. Carpainter made me an important person in Happy-happyism. You should join us, but I know you won't... I'm glad I joined... I'm not going to fight you, but these guys will... Later potater...

:fuckyou:

This shit again. His speech is the same.

With the same result.

So we have to fight Carp Aintaer. Or whoever.

Crashing Boom Bang tries to hit twice with a lightning bolt.

Lightning is an electric attack.

So you just let him do that.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2012, 10:40:23 AM »

Since I got the statue, I have been doing peculiar things.

How'd you get it, anyway? Is there, uh... is there more than one?

Please forgive me, if you can... I just wanted to have a normal life. I apologize to everyone. Here's the key to open the jail cell in the mountain cabin where Gufin is being held. Take the key and go.

You went after Mr. Carpainter and... you're awesome!

That was quick.

I don't want to stay. I'll get out of here...

Please answer me. I promise to be good. ...uh ...okay?

No more fresh eggs or bananas for maybe-free.

But our princess is in another castle!

You're just like I imagined you would be... I'm sure that some people in Twoson are worried about me... Getting back there may be dangerous, but we can do it if we combine our strength. I'm able to use a little psychic power that is actually pretty deadly... Let's head back to Twoson!

SNES - Earthbound - 054 - You've Got a New Friend

Yep.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »

The people of Happy-Happy village are out of their trances, returning the music to the Twoson town music, the inside-a-house music to the Friendly Neighbor theme, and the drugstore theme to Humoresque of a Little Dog, as it should be.

The farm is free now, too. Since Gufin joins the party at level 1, it can be rough leveling her up for a little while. Free healing helps -- although the hospital building still charges to resurrect her.

Flash alpha hits all enemies and tries to give them Can't Stop Crying status, which reduces accuracy. Sometimes it causes Feeling Strange instead.

Yep.

Same fight. So yay for that.

Gufin is the party "mage", basically. She gets better attack PSI than Snes, of the three basic elemental types. Peekay Fiya attacks all enemies in the same row.

Whoops. Looks like homesickness is taking hold.

Gufin gets some rudimentary protective and status PSI, too.

Are you homesick? ... Well, I knew there would be days like this. It must make you feel better, listening to your mom's sweet voice. ...So, do you feel any better? Well, I'd better get going. I'm in the middle of my ironing. Bye! Click! Beep-beep-beep...

Peekay THUNDAA tries to hit a target at random for electric damage. If there are more enemies on the field, it's more likely to hit one of them.

Gufin gets mushroomized on the way into Twoson.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2012, 11:32:37 AM »

Back in Twoson, hale and healthy, we go to drop Gufin off.

I don't really understand it, but I know that Gufin's miraculous power and your great courage will allow you to stand up to any challenge. Gufin if you must take a trip, be sure to bring this along. It's my very own hand-made Band-Aid! Ooo! That rhymes! I know, I'll call it a Hand-aid!

The Hand-Aid is a 100% HP restore.

Snes, thank you so much. You must be the boy who will save the world, like in Gufin's dream. Gufin, I'm sure you'd be a big help to Snes. It's not every day a father lets his daughter embark on a journey to save the world!

In Threed, the next town, we'll meet another friend. If the three of us can combine our power, no one can beat us.

"The fourth guy we'll meet is kinda sucky anyway."

Now wipe your eyes, blow your nose, and smile before we take off.

It's written all over your face. If you accepted, I was going to give you some money. Actually, I can't keep the money now anyway. Let me give this to you. It's 10,000 dollars. Use the money any way you like. You cannot refuse my generosity. Just accept it. Now I plan on looking for the evil Mani Mani Statue that Lier X. Agerate unearthed in Onett. I'll see you at another time, in another space.

We get a Wad of Bills! Rather than adding $10,000 to our party fund, the Wad of Bills is a key item.

Some people in Twoson have new things to say. :shrug:

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »

EarthBound - Dead-End Chaos Theatre [HQ]

We head to Chaos Theater!

How about later, after the show, even if we're talking big bucks. I've got definite rules about how I handle my money matters...

Another photo before the concert? Well, okay.

the owner's kids or something?

There are no good-looking waitresses, and there is no room for me to show off my latest dance moves.

our company's business partner by taking him to a Runaway Five show. ...But since I'm new to the company, I better just toe the line.

I give you one thing --- you got guts, kid.

Yep. It's how I get so many SMAAAAASH!! attacks.

they just filled up this little music hall after all...

He's waiting outside at the entrance. He's got butter fingers, but he's nice.

A Butterfinger would be pretty nice about now.

Ladies and gentlemen, the entire basis of Earthbound's marketing campaign.

sometimes I get sweat or spit on me from the Runaway Five.

Tonda Goss-- oh. Never mind.

You think it's annoying talking to everyone? Try screencapping and transcribing the entire damn game script sometime!

All we know about the Runaway Five is that there are six of them and one of them is named Lucky. I always kind of assumed it was the same guy who gave us our backstage pass, but there's no actual indication that this is the case.

The Runaway Five all have different clothes in this game, but in the Japanese game the Tonzura Brothers ("tonzura" meaning "run away") they all wore black suits and ties. The Blues Brothers reference was not lost on NOA, who again removed some potential copyright issues from the game.

Money, that's what I want
money, that's what is hot
money, that's what I want
money, it's what we ain't got
'cept freedom, freedom, freedom is what we've really sought!

I'm waiting for Sex Bob-Omb to come back, personally.

'cept now, we're the only act playin' here. We even gone into debt here, so we're pretty near stuck, hyuk, hyuk, hyuk. The folks of Twoson'll enjoy the Runaway Five show for quite a few years, it looks like ta me.

This is the most important hint in the game, so make sure you remember it.

I wonder if our bus still runs. It may be rusted out...

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »

Tonight you get the Chaos Theater Soulmen comin’ at ya!
Rockin’ and rollin’ on this here stage for a limited time only!
The world’s greatest Bluesmen, the Runaway Five!
And here they come! Oh yeah! Baby!

Runaway Five The Daily Show: Earthbound Music

The four in the band stay in the back, while the other two Mario-and-Luigi lookin' guys dance around. Sort of. They're not animated any more than usual. Well, they move around the stage. But for the full effect, don't read any more of this LP until the music linked above is done.

You can do it again if you want.

In a minor stump-the-player moment, Poochyfud will not accept the money from across the counter.

You have to walk around and talk to him from the side.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I got the money, of course, and now the Runaway Five are free to leave. I've got no complaints now that I have my money.

The Runaway Five storm in! Of course, you have to be beside Poochyfud, otherwise you'll be in the way of this scene playing out. Not that a new player would know that.

The keyboardist didn't show up -- he wasn't backstage, either -- so I guess he's the one loading all the equipment and stuff into the tour bus.

Nope! I got other shit to do.

When the Runaway Five are waiting by their bus, there are no random encounters anywhere. So we can breeze through this cave without being harassed by bats and bears, all the way to...

SNES - Earthbound - 040 - Sanctuary Guardian's Challenge

But it's mine now. Take it from me, if you dare...

Mother 2/EarthBound Music - Sanctuary Guardian

It's Mondo Mole! He can bash, Tear Into You, or Slash With Sharp Claws for straight-up damage; or use PSI abilities like Lifeup alpha, Shield, and Offense Up.

Thing is, he's super-vulnerable to paralysis. That removes bash, Tear, and Slash from his lineup. Were any of those PSI abilities I mentioned damage-dealing in nature?

No. No they were not.

Gufin gets several quick level-ups, and learns Freeze beta. It's single-target like Freeze alpha, but does more damage.

EarthBound - Welcome to Your Sanctuary [HQ]

EarthBound (SNES) Music - Sound Stone Lilliput Steps

Right.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »

Runaway Five on the Move: Earthbound Music

The ghost buggered right off!

So did those two!

Well, this looks like a cheerful place.

Yeah, I probably have to fix everything here, too.

This town seems pretty gloomy, but I'm sure you can light up the place with your own little brand of sunshine...

Look for us to be singing at some theater in Fourside...

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »

Threed and the stuff surrounding it (Winters, Saturn Valley) is probably my favorite bit of the game.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2012, 09:52:07 AM »

Threed fucked me up hardcore my first time through the game.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2012, 07:58:34 AM »

Mother 2/ EarthBound Music - Threed, Zombie Central

This billboard had the tagline for the game in Japan. Since "This game stinks!" probably wouldn't sit right, they changed it to... well, something vaguely similar to Nintendo's advertising tagline at the time. Maybe they really meant "Play it Loud"?

There are enemy flies and a zombie dog nearby. That might be why this actual dog is freaking out.

eheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee

Zombies? GAWD, how needlessly trendy. Every damn game these days just has to have zombies in it.

Equipment upgrade.

The band was really noisy, so the ghosts didn't approach the bus. It must be great to be so happy-go-lucky, huh!

Sounds like a great place to work!

Belch! That's a gross, twisted name even for a monster!

I have no guarantee that you're not a zombie out looking for a lunch.

Almost a haiku! (Actually a haiku in the Japanese version.)

Here I thought I was walking around with an obnoxious, offensive smile.

Some people have already become tools of the zombies.

Yay.

I'm sure nothing terrible can happen in the first town in the game that has a graveyard in it.

The people are mostly living at the center of town. I wonder how we should get the town back from the zombies?

that takes you somewhere. When you get through the path, you'll meet a dirty, stinky, ugly, powerful monster. I wet my pants just thinking about it.

I can't even get home!

A circus? Sounds cheery enough!

We may all get munched before we have a chance to do anything...

Everyone, I repeat -- the zombies are on the move!

This guy sells bombs, bottle rockets, insecticide spray, and stuff like that.

but I would stress to you young kids, don't play for more than two hours. Anything excessive is no good.
- Parents Opposing Obsession Plan)

Check that acronym.

I bet the rates are astronomical after the zombie apocalypse has already hit.

Just keep all that whispering quiet out there...

Oh yeah, random encounters aren't limited to the city, uh, limits.

We're a little beat up, see.

The guest's newspapers that were delivered to the hotel today... are different than normal. The paper is called the Zombie Herald... I'm scared, but let me tell you what is in it... "Hold the town for our glory, and for the glory of our master!"

but I betrayed them too. I'm a con man, so I know the score. Belch gives life to the zombies, but Belch works for Giygas, who I heard might be female. Well, I'm not really sure whether Giygas is a male or a female. I'm a helpful con man, don't you think.

...yep. Right here in front of a grave.

We picked up some Insecticide Spray for just such an occasion. No Good Flies are all over the place.

The zombies block the path here.

Hey, there's someone we haven't talked to -- she walks into the Hotel.

Hey, where's the concierge?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2012, 08:28:43 AM »

aaaaaand scene. Fade to...

We are trying to contact you... If you hear me, please wake up and... head south! Only you, though far away, can save us, 007... Please hear my call and begin heading south... 007! You are a friend who we've never met... But you're our one and only hope!...

Boy, Gufin just doesn't quit with the telepathic pleas, does she? It wouldn't surprise me if 007 couldn't make it because he just couldn't concentrate enough to accomplish anything with some girl's voice bouncing around inside his head.

What an unfortunate place for that exclamation balloon to pop out of.

You know the dorm rules, right? If you get caught, you'll get punished big time... W... what's wrong, 007. There must be some reason that I don't understand. I won't stop you. But it's dangerous to leave without taking anything along. Hey, I think there's some stuff in the locker room that you should get. I'll help you get out of here...

Like Albus Dumbledore so many years later, Tony is revealed by the creator to have been canonically gay. It just never comes up in game, because who cares? Other than easily-outraged moral guardians who boycott any media they think is corrupting their children with The Gay, of course.

I don't believe it! I think someone made a model and placed it in the lake.

It's about the Cave Boys at Stonehenge. Many claim to have actually seen them.

that the center of Stonehenge has an entrance leading someplace. Some day, we should check it out.

It had occurred to me why so many people were up and about when it's supposed to be the middle of the night, yes.

I'll wash my face, brush my teeth, do my business, and go to bed.

Sure enough, all the presents have Cookies in them. Since 007 starts at level 1 just like Gufin did, even the basic healing items can make a difference for him.

...got any milk?

He always looks out for the younger students. Maxwell is still working hard in the lab downstairs. Anyway, these days there are many dangerous animals wandering around outside.

Downstairs, huh.

Are you looking for a late night snack?

Okay, a) It's not that late, there are still six people hanging out upstairs, and b) nah we're cool, we got an armload of cookies.

I'm having some trouble with my project. If only 007's father, Dr. Andonuts, were here. He'd be able to provide a great deal of help. I heard he's an outstanding person. He was the first leader of our Ultra Science Club... I heard he's greater than Einstein or Heisenberg. Rumor has it he's also very strange. If you're heading to the locker room, take this key along. It's a little bent, though.

...you dick.

We get a Pop Gun, a Holmes Hat, and a Broken Air Gun.

I don't know where you're going or why, but remember, we are best friends forever.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14