Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: General Game Design Wankery  (Read 1513 times)

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
General Game Design Wankery
« on: February 04, 2008, 11:02:34 AM »

I got an idea for a roguelike I should make for the blackberry. The fact that these things have a full keyboard makes me think that rogue like would be a great game for the blackberry. Plus the turn-based low amount animations, etc, would make it very kind on battery-life. You could press the alt key and then a dialog would slide up from the bottom of the screen, covering the map with a keyboard diagram that told you what all the keys did commandwise.

I dunno, it would only appeal to people who like roguelikes but they are pretty addictive to those who do. I sorta had this funny idea to give it a mole theme to sort of ape on Wordmole just because in roguelikes you are always in a sub-terranian maze of tunnels and rooms and that seems like a natural place for a mole.

Main classes would be

Mole Miner
-expert digger
-proficient with picks and shovels
-high endurance but slow and unstealthy
-has access to the better digging abilities like "cave-in" and "pitfall"

Mole Muncher
-expert eater
-can eat many types of food without ill effects -good at fighting with no weapons by bitting enemies -gains life and food from attacking at later levels -high attack and health but poor endurance and intellect

Mole Minister
-classic priest/cleric

Mole Mystic
-classic wizard
-maybe has good sight/scrying abilities

Mole Mole
-classic Rogue/thief

Mole Musketeer
-gun using ranged class

Weapon types
-picks
-shovels
-spades
-rocks
-guns
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

EmaWii

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Game Blog
Re: General Game Design Wankery
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:12:27 AM »

Oh! This sounds fun  ::D: I would probably be a Muncher except I don't have a Blackberry :sadpanda:

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 11:20:33 AM »

I got an idea for a roguelike I sho

Booorrriiing. You know what else is very kind on battery life? Not playing some oddball mole game in the first place.

I've given the gold standard of designs. Grappling hook + skateboard. You could call it Grappleboard. Or SkateHook! Yeah!!

Pack some ninjas into attack helicopters, and we got ourselves a par-tay. Gotta jet, lunch w/ Activision. Laterz.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:14:02 PM »

In non-blackberry community member created gaming news:  I'm slowly learning programing and other things which would allow me to make games.  Amongst them being a tool of dubious worth, a free app. called gamemaker.  Once I've mucked about in mastering using the thing (or find that it sucks and just continue mastering java (The only language they seem to teach in college) until I can make a game straight from code.

Looking into the future, I already have a game idea I would very much like to pursue and have feedback on.

A  1-player action/adventure game set in a totalitarian dystopia with quite a bit of free roaming gameplay.
This is a sneer at those not-GTA games which are supposedly free roaming but you actually can't do shit other than what they want you to do.

Additionally, I intend to have the player's actions far more restricted if and when they try to rebel.

The Government I'm imagining is crazy to a humorous extent and most of the game (no matter what you do) will be being harassed and imprisoned by these maniacs.  It is my utmost wish that if I do ever make this game (about 60% likelihood) that it makes you feel like the game itself hates you and wants you to suffer.  You'll never actually be killed, just put in more and more irritating situations.  In fact, suicide is not even an option in this dream game of mine, in fact I intend for the hardest ending to get to be to kill yourself.

The Seven story pathways I've thought of, which might overlap slightly are:
  • Upright Citizen-- doing exactly as your told with no ambition, hopefully this can be made interesting in some odd way
  • Rebel-- for the total conformist
  • Supreme Oppressor Overlord-- have fun climbing the ranks and torturing the NPCs
  • Underbelly Dweller-- very similar to the upright citizen with a different atmosphere and more jail-time
  • Escapist--  going the THX route should also be amazingly difficult, with freedom winding up to fucking suck in the end
  • Total Dick-- working for the government to make people's lives worse and stop the rebels
  • Suicidal loser-- How hard can it be to kill yourself? when the government knows what you'll do before you do it, the funs in seeing how your stopped

I'm already coming up with various convenient plot points like the main character only being able to say yes/no due to his jaw, tongue and throat being replaced with a muting device/food grinder that only makes two kinds of beeps.  The reason for this that you wouldn't stop crying as a baby and an officer took you in for a Noise disturbance.

Now if you would be so kind as to offer some constructive criticism.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »

Gamesetwatch article that pretty much everyone is advised to read.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »

Wow, I guess I've never played an amateur game.  Or even heard of one.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 08:30:30 AM »

no more "general thus and such" threads!

post specifics!  more threads more fun six threads

the latest split from this thread (Brentai's plot branching stuff) is here

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »

The student has become the master.