Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTL  (Read 2030 times)

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
FTL
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »

FTL is this really awesome game where you manage a crew aboard a space ship and there are some roguelike attributes as well. If anyone has ever played Flotilla it's kind of like that only instead of trying to aim in 3D space and all that nonsense you're just managing the actual crew aboard your ship. It is a lot of fun and it's cheap and you should all buy and play it.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »

My crew once rescued a rock alien from a derelict spaceship, and he gladly joined up. Two sectors later pirates have disabled our oxygen regenerators and every crewmember died of asphyxia during the battle. Except for the rock dude, because he has 50 extra HP. He barely managed to keep the ship going until he teleported an incendiary device onto the enemy bridge, which won the fight. After putting out the fires on his own vessel, he took the helm and continued the mission alone, commanding a ship full of the corpses of the second crew he turned out to be the last survivor of.

He eventually reached a space sector controlled by his own race, but before he could do anything of substance he was attacked by a patrol ship and boarded by a single other rock alien, who immediately started sabotaging the engine. This would not do. The only thing on his mind being the vital mission of his dead rescuers, he took up arms alone against his kin, and fell in honorable combat after a protracted bout of fisticuffs.

The stone soldiers looted the ship and set its hollow carcass adrift into the cold vastness of space.

yeah this game is pretty rad

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »

This is usually the time I tighten my belt to buy nice things for others, but fffuuuck.

EDIT:
Speaking of which, I have this weird feeling that Kat Bailey will hella stump for FTL.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
FTL
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »

I modded a ship into this game

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3923260/patchfiles.zip

1) install ftldat (https://github.com/bwesterb/ftldat)
2) unzip this into ftl/resources directory
3) run patchfiles.bat

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: FTL
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »

I was about to say "Hey that ship is kinda pow-" and then I noticed there's no vents on the main compartment and no connection to the back. Wow!

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »

The duality is cool but is there a way to fit the O2 system up front? If your drone control and O2 go down you are going to slowly suffocate. Also Engine room should be 2 squares and medbay 4 IMO. Perhaps those could be in Type B or you could just ignore them.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »

Caved in.
Got a crewman (named after me) to max out all of his skills.
Smoked a cigarette.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »

I love this game. It's just great overall. It takes a lot of good parts of games I like - SPAZ, Flotilla, Roguelikes, etc - and combines them to make one really good game overall. I think there's not a ton there and you will probably run out of things to do faster than a lot of other roguelike games, but there's also room for the game to be expanded with DLC and expansion packs in the future. I hope the creators take the SPAZ route and release lots of DLC - paid or free - so we have plenty to do with FTL in the future.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »

I'd really like to see a(n online) skirmish mode really.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »

I love the game, but I feel like it just needs.. more? More races, more ships, more systems, more events. Or at the very least another mode that doesn't require to you endlessly rush through every system and miss out on a lot of shit because of it.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 03:43:24 PM »

They're adding more events in a planned free update I think, but yeah I agree that the game just needs a lot more of everything.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »

Yeah, I agree. It's clear that the game has a framework ripe with opportunity for compelling emergent narrative to form, but while the actual combat mechanics are robust, the events could use more meat. After several run-throughs, a lot of the decisions boil down to "if this goes wrong, as it probably will, can I recover from it?".

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »

hahaha earlier today I had my best game yet. Got to S8 for the first time despite a map full of red sectors. At one point along the way I got the event where a space station was overrun with giant space spiders, and usually I skip that one because I absolutely hate losing precious crew members, but at this time I had a boarding drone which opened up a new option (send in the drones).

The boarding drone ripped a hole through the hull of the space station. He managed to get the spiders but the hole made a bunch of people get sucked out and our reward was a little smaller than it would have been.

Worth it.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 03:26:49 AM »

My biggest beef with the game is that it's not tough, it's random. It's not forcing you to fight a dinosaur with a knife, it's giving you a knife then rolling a dice to see whether it pits you against a housecat, a dinosaur or a brick shed.

That nobody else seems to care is leading me to formulate a distressing theory - that most gamers have no idea whether they're succeeding in a game because they're good or because the game is letting them.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 03:47:41 AM »

Not that I have any experience in the matter, but isn't this also the case for traditional rogue-likes?

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 06:03:05 AM »

On Easy I think it's fair. You can apply good strategy and win, even if the RNG is against you.

But on Normal, you get so little scrap that you can't afford to buy guns when you find them on sale. You have to hope the RNG gives you some. I've ended at the boss with nothing that can beat its shields.

Maybe if you're REALLY good, you can win on Normal with some regularity. It's a short game, though, so if you can only win on Normal 10% of the time that's still going to let you win if you keep at it.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »

Not that I have any experience in the matter, but isn't this also the case for traditional rogue-likes?

That has been my experience. It's why I stopped playing Binding of Isaac. The core gameplay is fun as Hell, but I'm tired of getting all the worst items and all the hardest bosses. FTL seems way more doable most of the time, at least on easy. I've never even beat FTL but I usually get far enough to justify the experience. Binding of Isaac I rarely make it out of the depths/necropolis and I very quickly got to the point that if I wasn't out of the basement with a couple of things going for me wrt HP and item drops I would just give up on the run. The only consistent character is Cain.

(I'd look into procedural generation for a roguelike, personally, so that you can go random or you can play an experience you know to be fun - but just switch up your class or something so it isn't a step-for-step repeat)

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »

The problem with FTL is that you rarely get to make an informed decision. You start in a position, then roll the dice for the opportunity to either do nothing or roll more dice. The battles are fun but you rarely have a decision about what strategy to use because it's determined by what the dice gave you for crew and store options and what the dice gave the other ship. There's pretty much always a right choice based on what you have but you don't have any reasonable way to manipulate what you have.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »

Double breach bombs and double breach bots.

This is how most of my enemies died.

Of the weapons I've tried, Firebombs are #1. Breach bombs are #2 - they do no hull damage, which was awful on the final boss. However I was carrying 3x Shield rechargers and had a gold-level shield engineer, meaning my shields were never brought down.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »

You start in a position, then roll the dice for the opportunity to either do nothing or roll more dice.

This is my biggest issue with the game. I'm fine with random hilarious death in roguelikes. The problem is when you tie unlocks to this bullshit. There's so many required conditions in order to get a ship that rely on random dogshit I actually gave up and just grabbed a save file with all ships and layouts unlocked. Yeah, it's cheating, but I'm not going to be denied when I meet all the conditions and never get the quest. or I get the quest at the last distress point in a system, then it says "Sorry! Can't spawn the quest objective in this system! Better luck next time!" (This has happened to me more than once)
Pages: [1] 2