Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Bob's Burgers  (Read 952 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Bob's Burgers
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »

Seriously you guys Bob's Burgers is the best cartoon.

Pretty much everything with H Jon Benjamin is the best cartoon.

Friend

• Meow see here..
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Simpsons
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:06:28 PM »

Bob's Burgers is great when it's H Jon Benjamin playing a normal guy interacting with a bunch of weirdos. When they focus on his immediate family, the show is much more hit and miss.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Re: Simpsons
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »

What, you don't like the kids?  I think the kids are pretty damn great.  Especially Louise.

Friend

• Meow see here..
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:26:36 PM »

The kids are really hit and miss.
Let me rephrase this:
Tina's funny.
Louise can be funny. The mom is pretty obnoxious but can also be funny sometimes.
I don't think I ever laugh at Gene's one liners. Or when he's onscreen at all. I love Teddy, though. That guy's great.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »

"And when you're done here, change my litter box!  And don't tell mom and dad about my litter box!"

Point is, kids are hit or hit.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »

I'll grant Gene as the weakest of the kids but I still think he's pretty great.  (And I like him better than Linda, though she's really grown on me since the beginning of the show; she's gone from being standard nagging sitcom wife to being just as delightfully batshit as everyone else.)

I like that each kid is a different kind of crazy.  Tina was originally written as a boy and it shows in her weird combination of teenage-boy and teenage-girl sitcom tropes -- she's got the adolescent sexual frustration, confusion, and aggression that you typically see in teenage boys on TV, combined with the shyness of the unpopular-girl archetype.  There's a combination of charming naivete and eyebrow-raising kink there and you never know which you're going to get.

Louise is the most cartoonish character on the show and liable to say absolutely anything.  The sugar-rush of a child mixed with the comedy of children saying things that are wildly out-of-character for a child to be saying.  Tina's probably the most relatable of the kids (and given the paragraph above I don't know what that says about me), while Louise is Daffy Duck.  (Earlier, "Woo-hoo, woo-hoo!" Daffy.)

Gene's kinda got a combination of Tina's adolescent cluelessness and Louise's aggressive confidence.  Where Tina mumbles oddball things, Gene shouts them.  It's a good approach to contrast the two characters -- the reason Tina was changed to a girl was that she was deemed too similar to Gene; it's not just the gender change that helped to set the two of them apart, it's the completely different demeanor and delivery of the two actors.

And I'm STILL laughing at last week's "Bleth this Meth".

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Bob's Burgers
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:06:49 PM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »

I just want to chime and say that the live version of this was really good. Standup from Jon Benjamin, Eugene Mirman, and Kristen Schall is awesome, the other people were tolerable, and the table read was pretty entertaining. When I finally watched the episode last night that they read from, it was eerie how close the live version was to the show.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:02:25 PM »