Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: I'm in the mood for some Mining and some Crafting. Let's Play... Terraria!  (Read 10660 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in the mood for some Mining and some Crafting. Let's Play... Terraria!
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »

Thinking about the game sequence up o this point: the best stuf you can make out of naturally-ocurring ore is golden. Demonite and Meteorite are better, but take some doing. Both require a golden pickaxe to collect, so you're expected to be at least that far.

Demonite equipment also requires Shadow Scales, which thus far only drop from the Eater of Worlds. So finding the tiny veins of the stuff is a nigh-fruitless endeavor anyway.

To make Meteorite appear, you break crystal orbs. To spawn the Eater, you break crystal orbs in sets of three.

Crystal orbs are buried in Ebonstone, which a golden pickaxe can't break. You have to explode your way in.

So an optional hint leads you to look for the orbs, at which point optional items -- including optional crafting upgrades if you want to make things easier-- are needed to break them, spawning a boss no one warns you about. You're not compelled to do any of that, I suppose, but the upgrades from Demonite and Meteorite are substantial and, I assume, expected by the difficulty curve.

That's sandbox for ya. I hope my random dicking around continues to be this productive. 

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »

Terraria is definitely the product of someone who looked at Minecraft and wanted a quick cash in without understanding a lot of the why and how of guiding a player, yes.

I've been trying to balance not spoiling a blind LP with "Making sure you don't fuck yourself" to avoid horrible unrecoverable accidents.

[spoiler]Speaking of which, here's one: If you come across a guy who tells you to come back at night, do so only when you're ready to take on a large army.
If you come across a guy talking about you breaking a curse, same deal.

Under no circumstances should you explore the rather hard-to-miss area the guy is near, because the game does not warn you at all that it will instakill you if you explore it without taking care of the guy's problem.

It instakills you in a way that makes recovering what you drop almost impossible.[/spoiler]

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »

Excellent LP, just keep exploring.

I've been trying to balance not spoiling a blind LP with "Making sure you don't fuck yourself" to avoid horrible unrecoverable accidents.

You and those like you are failing badly at not spoiling this highly entertaining blind LP. Please stop.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »

Lyrai, the only thing that I lose when I die is half my money, and upon learning that I now stash everything in a piggybank before I go exploring. Dropping half the money I've accrued on my way to somewhere is no major drawback, so unless there's a point of no return where I'll be stuck and unable to proceed or backtrack, don't you fret about me none.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 05:18:42 PM »

The final boss is bowser.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 05:26:06 PM »

[spoiler]Actually, remembering things, there is a point of no return, in that it permanently changes the world and introduces shit that can fuck you over.[/spoiler]

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »

Terraria is definitely the product of someone who looked at Minecraft and wanted a quick cash in without understanding a lot of the why and how of guiding a player, yes.

For most of Minecraft's popular lifespan its method of guiding the player was "go look at that wiki over there".

P.S. your posts have been augmented.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:34 PM »

I think I'm the only one spoilers really affect here, and I've read Lyrai's posts already, so :shrug:

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 08:48:26 PM »

I got me a piggy bank. Apparently it can hold any item like any other container, but I just keep my money in it anyway.

I found the other meteorite. One of the others, anyway. It's in the desert far to the left, past the corruption and the jungle.

It takes a couple days and nights of fighting off Meteor Heads and zombies, but I harvest the entire meteorite without dying.

I equip the magic mirror and jump in the edge-of-map sea to see how far I can get before I have to teleport out to avoid drowning. There's a gold chest down here!

paff

The trident in said chest seems kind of useless really.

While PEW PEW PEW seems awfully tempting I'll go for the new armor. I realized after forging it that the Meteor Armor has the same defensive value as the silver chainmail and greaves I was wearing. I'm paying attention! :V

If you wear the whole set of Flash Gordeon-style Meteor Armor, you sparkle when you walk. It doesn't provide any light, though.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »

With a Blood Moon in effect, my grand entranceway fills its first-level-of-Castlevania inspiration -- tall windows, red curtains, candles, and full of zombies. So I tear it down in favor of a floating castle instead. But while I'm demolishing my previous hard work, I get an unusual message...

I hope a scrawny kid like me isn't the only thing standing between anything and this guy.

AUGH

That ended predictably.

MOTHERFUCKER I AM BUSY

Fight fight fight fight fight

AUGH CRAP IT GROWS TEETH

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

::(:

Well, at least the Eye of Cthulhu isn't back.

This, too.

Well, this is a new thing.

Curse? Tell me about this c--

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This ends predictably.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 09:36:52 PM »

Excuse me miss but look around. Fancy chandelier? Grandfather clock? Actual space? This is my room.

Interesting.

Interesting.

So I build some more apartments on top of my newly-redecorated workshop.

I also build some basic amenities, like this dining room. And find out completely by accident that tables count as workstations for a few things, like this depth meter.

And this watch.

With my new pickaxe, I can dig through Ebonstone.

My new flail makes short work of this particular situation.

MOAR METEORITES

MOAR HIT POINTS

That's the stuff.

...actually that's pretty lame.

Touching freshly-fallen meteorite hurts, so you have to get creative with where you stand to mine it. Why it's okay in your pockets but not under your shoes is not adequately explained.

Oh hell.

This should help, though.

Exuberance!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 10:06:04 PM »

Instead of getting slaughtered by Skeletron again I grapple my way over the structure instead.

Oh hey, I found that other Meteorite.

Dum de dum.

Turns out this one almost fell into the ocean on the other side of the map.

And then, just for shits and giggles, I wall off the ocean.

Haven't seen a dike that big since that awkward tour of that BDSM club.

WHY WOULD I DO THAT

I forge a laser pistol instead. PEW PEW PEW

With the Meteorite Armor set assembled, the laser doesn't consume mana, giving me unlimited ammo. The Megashark is faster and has better DPS, but limited ammo.

While I wait for this guy to get ready to summon his master again, I tear down the building he's guarding. Because I can.

Bring it. I have two rapid-fire guns and I've already drunk an Ironskin potion.

dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka

Well, crap.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 08:27:35 AM »

Wearing the Meteor Armor and carrying the Space Gun is an effective equipment set, except I lose out on the automatic light source from the Miner's Helmet.

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

WE'VE GOT FUN AND GAMES

SKIP-BO AND PHASE 10 AND HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPOS

SCRABBLE TOO

BUT OUR SET IS MISSING ONE OF THE "E" TILES

IT'S THE JUNGLE, BABY!

Wow, that's a lot of giant hornets.

But I'm smart enough to fire through a tiny peephole where they can't shoot their poison stingers back.

Hey, if I can find a wide, completely flat area without any monsters in it to get a good running start, I can run really fast. How useful.

Wait hold on.

The material progression in the game is:
1. Copper
2. Iron
3. Silver
4. Gold
5. Metal and scales dropped from a monstrous corrupted abomination
6. Thunderbolt iron mined out of a meteorite
7. RANDOM JUNGLE DETRITUS

what

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »

Here's my crib as it is.

My bedroom/spawn point. It's not really mine since there's no way to make it that way, but it's where I spawn when I die. Fancy furniture and a private bathroom.

My workshop. Chests are arranged by what's in them, and there's a row of workstations on the top level.

The apartment area. There are a couple extra, because apparently the Dryad didn't spawn until there was an apartment for her (which was mine, but whatevs).

Some extra space. This was the bridge to the previous apartment building, so I built it into rooms and stuff. There's a dining room and kitchen on top, and nothing in particular below.

My original intention was to have the conservatory lit by Blinkroots at night, but apparently those don't glow naturally if they're cultivated in clay pots. Might need to hang a chandelier or something in here, that one table candle isn't enough.

There's only the one door to the outside, and the table is set to bar it in the event of a Blood Moon roof zombie invasion.

One tower, with a gargoyle statue.

I dug a well, but haven't found a water source high enough to drain into it to fill it up.

My crypt.

It's not much! There's certainly a lot more swagification that can be done. I think tonight when I get home I'll open the game up to multiplayer so you guys who keep asking me to come play can come play. I don't want help with anything, free materials, money, equipment, or bosses beaten -- just come play Legos with me.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »

I wonder if I can spawn the Eater of Worlds more than once.

Yep.

pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew

pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew

pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew

Like a boss.

Hey, you can take the piggy bank with you even when there's stuff inside. You can't do that with chests. I might have to get another one to carry extra stuff in, since "inventory full" is what often drives me back to base when I'm exploring.

Got this from one of the crystal orbs.

Way to slow and way to dim to be at all useful.

But I did get some more Demonite, and start work on the armor set.

A little alcove built of gold brick, with a chest inside. How fancy!

Not much inside, though.

There's a little... uh, green guy there. Looks like he's tied up.

Oh. So he was.

What, NOW?

You can guess how this goes. Pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew

pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew

Like a double boss.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »

Goblin Tinkerer, huh? I set him up with an apartment so he gets out of my bedroom.

uhhhh

Dude straight up sells me a new workstation.

And a pair of Rocket Boots.

Which I can combine with the Hermes Boots I found before to make Spectre Boots, which combines the run speed of the Hermes Boots with the flight ability of the Rocket Boots.

whooooosh

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »

I've also collected enough vines to make an Ivy Whip, which doesn't have an attack power so I assume it's an upgrade for the grappling hook (since it requires your grappling hook to make).

I am correct in my assumption. It's a longer grappling chain.

And is useful for all the pits and chasms in the jungle undercaves, since they tend to swarm with slimes and man-eating plants. Hooking onto the ceiling and dropping explosives is pretty handy.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 10:05:54 PM »

WHY WOULD I DO THAT

Goblin Army used to be the only way to get Rocket Boots. So you'd just keep summoning them over and over after getting a random one, hoping for a drop.

EDIT: BRENTAI HE TALKS ABOUT THE ITEM TWO POSTS ABOVE ME IT'S NOT A SPOILER AT THIS POINT.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 05:21:11 AM »

Lyrai, Guildenstern, and Doom all came over to my castle to play Legos.

I was constructing a large tower to support a long, flat hallway in the sky. I figure I can build a bridge from one side of the map to the other, schlep building materials to landmarks in other parts of the world, and build up to the bridge from there. Then when I need to get somewhere, I climb to my airtunnel and use my new Hermes/Spectre boots to get where I need to be quickly without having to run over the uneven ground.

Meanwhile Doom has dug out the bottom of my dry well.

Doom isn't telling us what he's building, but he clearly has something complicated in mind.

500 feet up seems about right. Shouldn't be anything up here to get in my way.

I am wrong in this assumption.

This floating island -- for that is what it is! -- has a little structure on it with a locked chest.

Unable to open the chest, I steal the structure instead.

There's tons of silver ore in the island, too.

While I mine out the ores, Lyrai continues drilling through the underside for my bridge.

Guildenstern completes his construction project.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 05:34:11 AM »

Since I'm acting as the game server, my game is lagging terribly. That doesn't affect building much, but fighting monsters is a pain when they're teleporting around. Lyrai covers me while I continue building -- and run into another island.

Same deal.

Doom is draining a lake from halfway across the map into this reservoir. I'm concerned about the effects this will have on his construction.

Apparently plants will only grow out of ground that already has grass coverage, not bare dirt. So once GuildenFUCK has grown over, I decorate it with sunflowers, trees, and lampposts.

Doom also dumps a bit of water into the shaft I'd dug from my castle underside most of the way into the magma-y bits of the planet's crust. Now I don't have to carefully double-jump or grapple to negate the fall.

Then he tells me to try dumping water into magma, so I drain his safety cushion into a nearby lava pool. Oh well.

This creates obsidian to mine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7