Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: I'm in the mood for some Mining and some Crafting. Let's Play... Terraria!  (Read 10694 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in the mood for some Mining and some Crafting. Let's Play... Terraria!
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2012, 07:11:33 AM »

Does it feel like the LP is dragging a bit because we're all just dicking around and not making any actual progress? You're right!

We're still just dicking around though.

For instance, I'm running a very long wire up the length of my straight-to-hell drop shaft.

...so I can pump lava directly out of the underworld and into the well I drained for this purpose.

So all you guys who wanted some magma or obsidian for your projects, here's a readily available source.

The pier from the fishing shack leads up to the bottom, just reach through the wall and grab yourself a bucketful. Because fuck physics.

This dapper gentleman is The Groom, and he drops that top hat upon his demise.

Hell is giant lakes of deadly bubbling magma and other people.

And a bed-and-breakfast. Setting a spawn point in hell might save a lot of time, but climbing back out would be time-consuming.

But Frito Bandito kills another voodoo demon while building his mot-Hell, dropping another voodoo doll into the lava while I'm talking to the guide.

But this time I have my screencap software running.

AAAAAAUUUGH

That ended predictably.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2012, 07:16:19 AM »

Some guys mowed down the grass in one of the corrupted areas.

I've explored pretty far in hell from either direction from the starting point, which I'm pretty sure is the middle of the map or close to it. (Remember, I dug the first shaft downward from my original starting point before I could craft a bed to move where I spawn.) So I head to the oceans on either side of the map to start from the edges and work my way in.

Exploring hell when monsters teleport around due to server lag is hard.

But I get enough Hellstone to craft a full set of molten armor. Despite being more or less made of lava, it doesn't protect me from falling into the stuff -- just increases my melee damage.

I am spoiled that the Wall of Flesh is a major event, and about as close as the game gets to a linear progression. So my next goal is to prepare hell to defeat the Wall, then defeat the Wall.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2012, 07:38:34 AM »

Does it feel like the LP is dragging a bit because we're all just dicking around and not making any actual progress? You're right!

We're still just dicking around though.

FWIW I think the dicking around is more fun than the actual progress parts.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2012, 07:44:49 AM »

Well, yes. I did take time out of my busy boss-slaying to build a giant castle shaped like a dinosaur. So I guess the LP is dragging not because I'm not making progress, it's that I need bigger and better ideas of crazy things to assemble out of virtual Legos.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2012, 09:30:13 AM »

Owners of the Eat 'N' Beat do not recommend any patron actually attempt to spend the night, due to firey death demons teleporting through the walls and laying waste at irregular intervals.

We do, however, have a fully stocked alehouse.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »

The closest thing I have to an overall goal is destroying the Corruption.

Since it's something that can spread, I start on the outside and work my way in. I feel like I'm making pretty good progress when I see what I've done, but then I walk around to the other side of the biome and get overwhelmed by how much is left. I need a lot of dynamite, I think.

I use the Ebonstone blocks to continue a bridge across the lava pools of hell, in preparation for the Wall of Flesh fight. What am I going to do, corrupt hell?

Turns out yes, yes I am. Corruption-area enemies start spawning in hell after a while of placing Ebonstone. Since they're a lot less annoying than fire bats and demons and lava slimes and Jesus Christo the bone worms I don't consider this a bad thing.

My hell bridge has gone about as far as my sky bridge -- to the dungeon. I burrow my way into the bottommost dungeon depths, because why not?

hur hur hur

I expand my music hall.

Then greatly expand my library, building it up in its own building on one of the floating islands.

Doom's anguished cry at this name was worth getting harassed by harpies for what seemed like a lifetime.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »

And now, a guided tour of What Doom Hath Wrought:

Really dude has no room to talk.

Lotsa lava works.

He built the greenhouse.

It's a bit of corruption locked away.

The room above is the one I added, with the specimen samples in glass tubes.

...Burma-Shave?

And the top half.

The dragon's maw fires darts, too.

And drops, uh, water. Which doesn't ward off invaders directly, but it does strain my computer-as-server enough that enemies give up and go home instead of dealing with lag.

I'm not sure what this one tree was doing in the area, but it was dug under and around until it became a landmark. Doom freed it of the cliff edge it was growing on and made it centerpiece of the garden out behind his officer's room.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »

And an unguided tour of a much smaller facility:

That's so cute I'm leaving it there.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2012, 05:24:08 PM »

I realized after the tours that I didn't take a shot of the other half of Thesaurus. There's a nice windowed reading room up top, and a private reading room far right.

I couldn't think of anything to put in the front leg, so I filled it in, but that made it invisibly dark. So now it's lit.

Talking to the Goblin Tinker made a goblin army show up. Suspicious!

Someone looted my well defense mechanism for parts, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. My timer is gone, forcing me to flip the dart trigger manually, count to ten for the cooldown, and flip it again. This is even more tedious than fighting manually so eventually I just sword the goblins until the give up.

I later finish half my skybridge, having reached the rightmost edge of the map.

Now to do... the other half...  :nyoro~n:

Wait, is that a goat statue or a giant bird statue? Doom's fort is right in the way!

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »

You might like this R2: http://seancode.com/terrafirma/

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »

I rather do, yes. Terrafirma lets you load map files from the Terraria game and have a birds-eye view of what's going on. For example!

The mighty Brontocastleus!

The Licensed Sturgeon!

The Dragonfort of Doom!

Thesaurus library!

The rather large chunk of corruption I destroyed!

The overwhelmingly huge amount I did not!

The even bigger corrupt area west of Dragonfort!

The dungeon!

The dammed-up ocean!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »

"It is an odd game that has you go 'Meh, gold', followed immediately by 'Ooh, cobwebs'."

The screencap of that didn't catch all three lines.

The decoration of my throne room has begun in earnest.

Huh, I missed one. Let me go alllll the way back to get my shadow key, then.

The Flower of Fire lets you throw fireballs. They bounce. The reference is obvious.

Building a giant detour in the skybridge rather defeats the purpose of having the skybridge in the first place (namely, a big flat area where the Hermes Boots can get up to speed), but it's either that or demand Doom tear down his boss arena and move it someplace else.

I find another floating island.

But I still need a golden key...

...and the dungeon monsters are being stingy with them now. (Battle Potions increase monster spawn rate, and Water Candle says you attract unwanted attention when you hold it, which I assume increases the monster spawn rate.)

A bit after I'd given up hunting for a golden key for a while, Zara said "Whoops". This is shorthand for "I am draining the western ocean down a bunch of mined-out shafts and directly into hell."

Way to destroy an entire ecosystem, Zara.

These puddles are all that remain of a crab- and shark-infested ocean.

The flow of water was so resource-intensive I had to restart the game. There is a "settling liquids" part of world setup, and that took... rather longer than usual this time while the game tried to figure out where to put all that water.

Some of it ended up in some odd areas.

Fucking laggy monsters teleporting away before they explode into a pile of loot!

But I came prepared this time. Suck Falling Stars!

...  :nyoro~n:

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2012, 07:33:49 PM »

Zara lent me a gold key.

Might as well have kept it.

I spent a staggering amount of cash trying to get the Starfury to have a not-sucky prefix. It's still terrible. I mean, the idea's sound: swing the sword, stars fall from the heavens to smite your foes. But you spend most of the game underground, where heavenly anything can't reach. And the damage is already outclassed by plenty of other things I have.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »

The good thing about bosses you summon is that you can prepare the way beforehand. Some spiky balls on the floor may or may not accomplish anything.

I can fight or I can take screenshots. And the fight's awful boring if I die.

The pwnhammer is a free hammer upgrade (in the sense that it's better at being a hammer. The prefix "Shameful" is a lot less good than the prefix "Dangerous" as is on my Meteoric Hamaxe, and being a hammer and not a hamaxe, I can't use it to fell trees).

The Ranger Emblem is an accessory that gives me +15% damage on ranged attacks. I can only assume the Wall of Flesh can also drop things that give bonuses to melee and magic.

I am also assuming I can toss another voodoo doll into the lava to summon him again, since Suspicious Looking Eyes to summon the Eye of Cthulhu again aren't hard to find.

That doesn't sound good.

Shameful is reforged into Small is reforged into Sluggish, and then I run out of money to reforge further. But it can still smash up demon altars.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2012, 07:44:47 PM »

The area to the right of Brontocastleus has become all rainbowy and colorful and stuff.

Doesn't stop the next area from being corrupted, though.

Well, let's get crackin'.

A g-g-g-g-g-GHOST! These guys float through walls and hit like a truck.

Hey, there's some cobalt ore hanging right there. I'm certain that wasn't there before, so apparently being blessed with an ore means some other stuff is replaced by it.

This enemy lagged out and vanished before I got a good sense of what it was or what it could do. I'm lucky I got the screencap of it, really.

The next altar makes mythril, and the one after, adamantite.

Then back to cobalt. Either it's random chance, or there's a cycle of three to go through. (Since the next two altars also spawned mythril and adamantite, I assume it's a cycle.)

Monsters are now dropping the Souls I'm told by the Guide I'll need to make some lategame equipment.

Defeating the Wall of Flesh spread the super-bright-happy biome, and made the corruption a lot more prevalent. Guess I'm glad I didn't bother wiping out everything in that one corrupted area before, I'd be pissed if I spent that much time on nothing.

Anyway, Doom can tear down specimen research, since the corruption is all around dragonfort now.

Another new craftable drop.

Guess it's time to get crackin' on finding the new stuff I spawned.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2012, 07:49:52 PM »

New enemies all around, too. This jovial-looking fellow is a Toxic Slime. Not surprisingly, he poisons you. It seems most of the new enemies cause status effects when they strike; there's a skeleton who busts down your defense and a slime or bat or something that can confuse you so you walk in the wrong direction.

These guys don't have a status effect, they just teleport around and dash into you for a tackle.

And this one just stabs you.

Turns out there are three new ores, but you need a pickaxe of the first to get the second and a pick of the second to get the third.

There are also crystals in underground Super Happy Land.

Just like Ebonstone in corruption, there's Pearlstone (and Pearlsand, which is new) in the new places.

Smelting cobalt is refreshingly straightforward. The ore itself seems a step down in difficulty from Hellstone, which left lava behind when mined and required Obsidian -- itself not found naturally and no small task to make -- to smelt into ingots.

Earlier when I said I'd need a new pickaxe? I was wrong. THIS IS A DRILL.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »

Checking in Terrafirma reveals there's no shortage of pearl or ebon anywhere. There's a big V shape of the two of them crisscrossing the world now. And where they meet, corruption wins out.

Dragonfort happens to be on top of the left side of the V, the left side being made of corruption.

The new biomes even stretch into the air.

FALCOR NO

This guy is a Wyvern, and between his looping and spinning flight pattern and his FOUR THOUSAND HIT POINTS I have no idea what he drops because I've yet to kill one.

Anyway, the drill is nice. I can just sort of wave my mouse at stone walls and they vanish.

The drill and pwnhammer together cannot overcome a simple wooden wall.

But I can damned well drill out mythril ore.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »

The Guide has new hints now.

Also:
- Combining lenses at a Demon Altar lets you summon a powerful creature -- at night. (All of the superboss-summoning items he's told me about are forged at a Demon Altar, and one of them requires lenses.)
- Demon altars are in the corruption, and are needed to forge some items. (Duh.)
- Smash demon altars and something good will happen.
- Souls can be gathered by killing monsters in corrupted or superhappy areas. Monsters in the corruption now drop Souls of Night, while the other area makes monsters drop Souls of Light. I've had skellingtons drop Souls of Light, so apparently the monster doesn't matter so much as where you are.

He also tells me that the first thing I'll need to make with all this mythril is a new anvil.

But once I do I can upgrade my drill to get Adamantite.

I was digging out some more Mythril Ore because I crafted my anvil, and then made a chainsaw rather than a drill like some sort of moron. Chainsaws are the next step up from axes, allowing you to chop wood quickly.

Anyway, I was digging out some ore when this crystal appeared right behind me. They grow just like plants do.

I eventually get enough Mythril to upgrade my armor up from the Cobalt I was wearing. Cobalt and Mythril both have chainmail and greaves, like everything else, but have three pieces of headgear each. Helmets boost defense a lot and give melee bonuses, masks have middling defense and give ranged weapon bonuses, and hoods and hats give little defense and magic bonuses. Here I am in my Mythril set with a mythril hood, which gives +60 maximum mana and completes a set that reduces the mana cost of items by about a fifth. I also have a mythril helmet that gives me a different, melee-based set bonus when it's worn instead of the hood.

Anyway, I summoned the Eye of Cthulhu to test out my new equipment, and defeated it handily.

Still can't beat Falcor, though.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »

I think I get it.

According to the recipes the Guide has told me about, there are three bosses summoned by items I can craft. A Mechanical Skull summons Skeletron Prime, a Mechanical Eye summons The Twins, and a something something worm summons The Destroyer.

He also tells me there are a bunch of Souls I need for the endgame gear. Soul of Light and Soul of Night are dropped by enemies in corrupted and superhappy areas, fine. There's also Soul of Fright, Soul of Sight, and Soul of Might, which some basic association leads me to believe are dropped by Skellingtron Prime, The Twins, and the Destroyer, respectively. Boss grinding? Oh my.

There's also a Soul of Flight. Wyverns, I think, since they're do damned hard to kill they might as well be a sub-boss.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »

The Goblin Army attacks again. I stand on my well firing a shotgun and shouting GIT OFF MAH PROPERTEH like any normal person.

The Goblin Army brought... presents? Apparently the ingame Christmas events that run off the system clock start on the fifteenth of December or so.

Most presents are candy cane blocks, but one is a Snow Globe to summon a thing called the "Frost Legion".

Either Demon Eyes got a lot bigger or hardmode has a new thing. (It's a Wandering Eye, and like the Eye of Cthulhu, once it gets down to half HP it sheds its pupil for a fanged mouth and gets more aggressive.)

Corrupted areas now spawn Corruptors, who spread corruption wherever their projectile attacks land. Corruption corruption corrupt corrupting corruption.

And while I forget this guy's name, he certainly looks creepy.

The pixies not only look like fairies from recent Zelda games, they make the same jingling sounds.

Ah, so the new biome is called "Hallow". Noted!

Anyway, back to business.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7