Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: I'm in the mood for some Mining and some Crafting. Let's Play... Terraria!  (Read 10674 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in the mood for some Mining and some Crafting. Let's Play... Terraria!
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »

The ol' hellforge just isn't gonna cut it.

Helmets are more effective at protecting you than armor (Adamantite Helmet is +8 defense over Mythril Helmet and like +20 over Mythril Hood, while Adamantite Chainmail is only +1 over Mythril Chainmail), so that's my first investment. It'd be an Adamantite Drill, but as far as I can tell Adamantite is the last material available. Inasfar as there is "game", this is endgame.

Anyway, I also expand the safehouse a bit. Now the timer is activated directly (turns out you can do that) to fire the darts, while the switch operates a lava trapdoor.

I'm expecting something Goblin Army-ish, so safehouse.

Mr. Stabby is a snowman that attacks with a knife.

The Snow Balla throws snowballs (...) that turn into Snow Blocks when they land.

The Gangster Snowman shoots a tommygun.

They are as good at surviving lava as you'd expect ambulatory snowmen to be.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »

You'd better watch out. Why? I'm telling you why!

Santa sells candy cane blocks, decorative lights, and a set of clothes.

The Licensed Sturgeon is very near the corruption, and the corruption seems to be spreading a lot faster now. I'm trying to take measures to assure the biome under the Brontocastleus doesn't turn corrupt.

As far as I can tell, corruption can't pierce manmade blocks. I wall off the entire chunk of land Brontocastleus hovers over.

I also run into the first mimic I'm able to kill myself. I've had a couple eat me, and one died in lava so I didn't get whatever it dropped, so this is a new thing.

The mimic dropped a Double Hook, which is longer than the Ivy Whip, but I can only stick to one thing at a time. I think the three-point suspension with Ivy Whip is preferable, really.

I can only assume this is a crater left behind by a stick of dynamite, but it makes a damned good Pixie trap.

That oughta do it. Let's see if the corruption and hallow can pierce this brick wall.

(I hope it can't, because if it can I'm not sure what to do.)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2012, 01:25:28 PM »

And then I remembered that Doom built an arena specifically for fighting big nasty monsters, and it's high up enough that Wyverns can probably spawn there. They do!

FALCOR PAWNCH

And I'm right, they drop Soul of Flight. Seven of 'em, this time I am glad to know I don't have to fight and kill thirty of these guys for the accessories the SoF is used to craft.

I kill a couple more. They drop gold, which makes them one of the more easily-spawned lucrative enemies in the game.

...a clown?

Clowns are right bastards. Those smiley-face bombs act as, well, the same sort of bomb I can throw at things. This guy chews some holes in my pavement before I can kill him.

He also threw a bunch of bombs into and around the well for some damned reason.

Apparently wraiths are confined to a specific distance from a solid block, rather than being able to fly anywhere. And in a Blood Moon, that's a good thing.

Guildenstern's giant FUCK makes a good zombie/possessed armor trap. Maybe I'll fill it with lava.

Oh my! Unicorns aren't so much a symbol of unspoiled wild purity in this game so much as they're a giant pissed-off horse with a point at the end. I need the Unicorn Horns they drop, though.

Hey, I heard about you. The Guide didn't tell me you were captive or anything though.

He sells things.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »

I dug out a bit more of the well while rebuilding it from the Clown attack. Now I can run around beneath it, safe as you please, to collect the items dropped into the lava by the guys running around in it. It works pretty well -- lava is an environmental hazard so enemies ignore that it's there, but the dart traps pull aggro from monsters. Several times I've seen a monster realize it can't scale the wall of dart traps and turn to leave, only to take a dart to the head, turn around, and try again.

Granted, doing that in lava is about as safe as you'd think.

Werewolves don't seem to have anything special about them except that they only spawn on certain nights, when the ingame moon is full. They also tend to drop silver coins more than anything else. Don't ask me, man, 'cause I dunno.

I use another snow globe and give the Frost Legion another whirl. They don't seem to do anything special when you defeat them, or drop anything particularly useful -- just a bunch of presents and Snow Blocks. Oh well.

An aside:
There are a lot of new enemies in Hardmode, and not a lot more to do. There are three new ores from breaking demon altars, and a new spreading biome with Pearlstone and Pearlsand. The first three make iteratively improved weapons and armor: one each of sword, spear, repeating crossbow, helmet, hat, mask, chainmail, and greaves -- and not much else. Pearlstone and Pearlsand can be used to make bricks -- which I assume spread the Hallow biome -- and nothing else.

And while you look for those limited rewards you're getting swarmed by chaos elementals and wraiths, the corruption and hallow are eating your entire world, and you still have to grind out boss-summoning equipment to get the top-tier gear.

Hardmode isn't very fun.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »

I didn't get any screencaps from this morning's dicking around! Hooray!

Points of note:

- Made an Adamantite Headgear, which is +80 maximum mana and cuts my mana use by a few percent when I wear it with the other Adamantite gear.
- Get mauled down to single-digit HP, use magic mirror to teleport back to base. Suddenly WYVERN OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE flies through the walls and kills me in my own bedroom.
- Dig a tunnel. Try to brick it off to keep the Hallow/Corruption from spreading too much.
- Beat Wall of Flesh twice. First time he drops a Laser Cannon (an upgraded Space Gun that does magic, not ranged, damage), second time a Warrior Emblem (+15% melee damage).
- Beat a Shadow Chest mimic while in hell, get a Star Cloak. When I'm hurt, stars drop from above to damage nearby foes. It was actually a big help in the second Wall fight, since Hell is pretty wide open and there's room for stars to fall -- and with the eyes, the mouth, the hungry tendrils, the maggotsnakes he fires out when he's low on health, and the normal hell monster spawns, there are plenty of targets to hit. This looked like the same thing the first mimic dropped, the thing that fell into the lava so I couldn't get it.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2012, 08:12:52 PM »

...Santa? What are you doing in my bathroom?

As fast as the corruption spreads everywhere else, I'm surprised it hasn't reclaimed all the sod around the place it spawned at the beginning of the game.

A mimic dropped a compass, which combines with a gold watch and my depth meter to make a GPS. The GPS gives you your depth like the meter, your lateral location like the compass, and tells time like the watch. And this one is angry, which is odd -- usually I'm getting angry at my GPS, not the other way around.

Doom built an observatory on my skybridge.

Another mimic drop. It's nigh useless as a weapon but 23 gold is a lot.

Enough to give me a platinum, worth 100 golds.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »

And at this point... well, I've mined out all the adamantite I need, really. All that's left to craft is the spear and repeating crossbow and I've got everything adamantite can make.

So all that's left is to grind. Grind grind grind. Get Souls of Night or Souls of Light and craft a set of wings, then craft the items to summon the endgame bosses, beat them up, and take their souls.

That sounds dull as hell, both for me doing it and for you reading this LP.

So Doom gives me ten each of the endgame summon items.

We steel ourselves for our first battle.

The Destroyer is a giant cybernetic worm -- the Eater of Worlds on steroids. He shoots lasers and releases probes that fly around to interfere with the fight. He has 80,000 HP.

That's not a typo. We went from Eye of Cthulhu at 1600 HP to Wall of Flesh with 4000 HP to Destroyer with eighty thousand HP.

Throw in that I'm hosting a server, so enemies tend to lag and teleport all over the place anyway, and it's a truly infuriating drawn-out slog.

He even chases us back to our respawn point so I have to fight him in my own castle. Thankfully he doesn't actually ever destroy anything.

This took a damned long time.

I have no idea where he died. Neither does anyone else. Presumably the drops come out of his head segment when he dies, but where that actually was when the fatal blow was struck is anyone's guess.

So for all that effort, we got exactly zero item drops.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »

Welp, here goes.

There he is!

There we go!

We try again, with the same result. Even with a full adamantite set of armor and maximum HP, one touch of Skeletron Prime's laggy, teleporting skull is enough to oneshot me.

Next!

The Twins are a pair of giant eyes connected by a tendril (that's not a tongue, it's the connecting tissue). One chases you around, the other keeps its distance.

After you do rather a lot of damage, the one called Retinazer starts shooting you with beams from his pupil. The one called Spazmatism continues chasing you, but breathes cursed flames out of its pupilmouth.

Three quarters of the way through the fight, Spazmatism just up and disappeared -- so when we beat Retinazer, no loot dropped. Another bug, another useless boss fight.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2012, 08:32:40 PM »

I download a level-edited gameworld instead.

And with that, I have all the Souls I need, allowing me to forge endgame equipment without worrying about fighting stupid bosses.

Yes, I cheated. Deal with it.

It's a hell of a cleanup of all that cobalt, mythril, and adamantite gear I've been hoarding -- all of this stuff calls for all of it combined.

Angel wings, too.

So uh, yeah. Any requests on what to build? Since with all that needless grinding (or its equivalent) behind me I can get back to sandboxing I guess.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »

Time to mine out the entire gameworld!

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

Remove all corruption. I hear there's a secret dryad fellatio scene.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2012, 10:38:55 PM »

Build a working turing machine.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »

I am told I should make the gameworld available for download, presumably so Doom can finish whatever he's doing with his dragon fortress. Here you go, presumably you will need to change the filename from "World1" to keep from overwriting your own stuff.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2012, 07:47:49 AM »

Any requests on what to build?

You may be finished your LP, my friend! I beat each of the end bosses once legitimately then also cheated for items I wanted. After that, all that's left is whatever you want to build.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »

I think you're right! Because simple things like mining or destroying corruption are needlessly tedious with the new monster spawns. Being on the surface during the day isn't so bad -- Corrupters are bothersome but not that bad -- but being out at night and getting swarmed by Wraiths or going underground and getting swarmed by Chaos Elementals makes the game as not fun as a sandbox can possibly be.

I thought I'd made some progress on the corruption by flying overhead and gliding across it with angel wings, dropping dynamite as fast as I could. The dryad tells me I'm actually losing progress that way, since it spreads underground faster than I can blow it up on the surface.

I got a brief kick out of taking all the explosives I could out of the item world and just dropping down my hellshaft tossing out bombs and dynamite at the walls. I wouldn't recommend it for actually accomplishing anything but it was fun for a few minutes just making things go boom without having to worry about stopping to fight monsters every thirty seconds.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2012, 01:25:07 AM »

I feel I should warn you that there is no actual reward for removing all Corruption from your world. Particularly as doing so, even pre-Hard Mode would involve digging so tedious you will go insane. That's why most advanced builders just go for the quarantining we attempted with the ditch.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2012, 01:48:54 AM »

tl;dr: Your Terraria is now creativemode Minecraft: Any 'goal' is building some computer-upsettingly huge megastructure.

Or an eternally shitting butt.

"You have defeated Terraria. Please build your token eternally shitting butt."

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2012, 07:39:56 AM »

Doesn't creativemode Minecraft have no monsters to fuck with you while you build your monstrosity?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »

Yeah, but they are nonaggressive until you smack them.  So Creepers will just happily wander around all over your stuff, staring at you.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »

time for mods
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7