Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: School shooting in Connecticut  (Read 8758 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
School shooting in Connecticut
« on: December 14, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »

Can't find the shooting thread, but apparently there's been a mass shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut. At least 20 dead, including 10 kids.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: School shooting in Connecticut
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 11:16:59 AM »

Can't find the shooting thread, but apparently there's been a mass shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut. At least 20 dead, including 10 kids.

death toll is now closer to 30. Fuuuuck.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »

death toll is now closer to 30. Fuuuuck.

14 18 20 of them children. Fucking hell.

Healy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:08:26 PM »

And I'd like to point out (for emphasis, mostly) that this comic was originally posted in response to another shooting, earlier this week.

God, I'm so mad right now.
the assassination of video james by the coward electronic arts

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 04:21:50 AM »

Meanwhile, on the same fucking goddamn day, a Chinese man attacked 22 elementary school kids with a knife.

The Onion comes closest to summarizing my thoughts.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 05:28:29 AM »

What may have failed, even though speculative, is whatever social service system that did not intervene or pay attention to domestic issues that were occurring inside the home of the dead shooter.

So the problem is not the guns, it's that the government is not big enough to identify mental sickness on its population or provide cheap mental health care for those that have it?

REPUBLICAN HOMEWORK FOR TODAY: Build an argument that simultaneously supports small government and provides a solution for guns to not arrive at the hands of nutjobs.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 06:10:48 AM »

I know the world isn't going to end when the Mayan calender does, but I kind of wish it would.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »

Meanwhile, on the same fucking goddamn day, a Chinese man attacked 22 elementary school kids with a knife.

Amazingly, no one died. I wonder if game a spot the difference would provide any clues as to why...

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »

REPUBLICAN HOMEWORK FOR TODAY: Build an argument that simultaneously supports small government and provides a solution for guns to not arrive at the hands of nutjobs.

“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.

“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”

“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “I wish I could say they were not.”

“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.

“Both very busy, sir.”

“Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,” said Scrooge. “I’m very glad to hear it.”

“Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,” returned the gentleman, “a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?”

“Nothing!” Scrooge replied.

“You wish to be anonymous?”

“I wish to be left alone,” said Scrooge. “Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned—they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.”

“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides—excuse me—I don’t know that.”

“But you might know it,” observed the gentleman.

“It’s not my business,” Scrooge returned. “It’s enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people’s. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!”

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 11:41:25 AM »

Amazingly, no one died. I wonder if game a spot the difference would provide any clues as to why...

the REALLY irritating thing is, if he had killed 22 people with a knife, the gun fags would have immediately jerked off so hard that cum would have flooded the streets, drowning us all.

Healy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »

I know the world isn't going to end when the Mayan calender does, but I kind of wish it would.
This. So hard.

brb gonna go listen to i don't like mondays and pumped up kicks and harry chapin's the sniper on infinite repeat
the assassination of video james by the coward electronic arts

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »

the REALLY irritating thing is, if he had killed 22 people with a knife, the gun fags would have immediately jerked off so hard that cum would have flooded the streets, drowning us all.

They almost did, actually. Before the deathtoll (or lack of one) was officially called there were already people smugly proclaiming about how you obviously don't need guns to kill a lot of people.

Which is something I never understood. If you don't need guns to kill people, why are you fighting so hard to keep them?

Rhetorical question, of course. The answer is "you're full of shit, you know that guns make killing trivial, and you don't want to lose the power to end another life with the press of a button."

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »

oh, I'm sure the mere existence of a mass knife attack made them jerk off furiously, it just didn't flood from every window and monitor onto the streets.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »

Which is something I never understood. If you don't need guns to kill people, why are you fighting so hard to keep them?

I don't need guns to kill people.  They do.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 12:24:41 PM »

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people!" "Well why not pass laws that make it harder for PEOPLE to get guns." "FUCK YOU LOGIC"

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »

I sit next to a libertarian at work, and she kept talking about "soft targets" and vaguely implying that maybe if they'd had a cop or the teachers had been armed this never would have happened.

I could see (and occasionally, probably in error, have argued) that argument with a high school or college. But fuck, really? It's an elementary school. What the fuck do the teachers need to be armed for? Should they put in metal detectors? Come on, they're little kids. The most likely scenario of a cop in the school is a first grader gets pepper sprayed for throwing a tantrum. The most likely scenario with a teacher being armed is the teacher taking the gun off because it's rubbing against their pelvic bone and some little kid blowing his head off. What's the other alternative? We set up fucking sniper towers around the building and pick off strangers? Background checks and urine samples before people enter the building? The door already had a maglock, apparently, and people had to be buzzed in. That still didn't fucking stop him!

for the record: I was raised around guns, I love guns. I'm a gun supporter. But if we'd had stricter background checks and better licensing standards for firearms it would probably go a long way to stopping tragedies like this from happening in the first place. Call me a cold motherfucker, but I would love to know what (if anything) the shooter's mother was doing to control whatever illness he had, and why she thought it was a great idea to have a collection of handguns and a fucking assault rifle in a place that he could get to them. I sure as fuck know it wasn't 'home defense', considering that Newtown, CT has had a whopping 4 murders in the last ten years in a town with a population of nearly 30,000. It was the upper middle class WASP small town template for the country.

I think it's time to license everything, register everything, make everything require a background check of you and the people living with you. If you go out to buy a gun and your live in son has schizophrenia, tough. You don't get to buy a fucking gun. Get a pit bull if you're so petrified someone is going to steal your TV.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »

I have already seen several people argue with a straight face that the proper response is for school principals to be armed and fully trained in the use of those arms, to the same level as SWAT cops.

I think the most anoying thing isn't the sheer lunacy of the argument itself, but that we've reached the point where the debate has become this roundabout, this nonsensical, just so we can avoid the three-story circus pyramid formation of elephants under our lunatic big top.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 01:39:45 PM »

Don't even get me started about the fact that you have to take a Hunting Safety course in my state to shoot animals but you don't even have to pass something as simple as a gun knowledge test to buy a gun made explicitly to shoot another human.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »

I have already seen several people argue with a straight face that the proper response is for school principals to be armed and fully trained in the use of those arms, to the same level as SWAT cops.

I think the most anoying thing isn't the sheer lunacy of the argument itself, but that we've reached the point where the debate has become this roundabout, this nonsensical, just so we can avoid the three-story circus pyramid formation of elephants under our lunatic big top.

Considering my principle in middle school turned out to be a literal child molestor, I like the idea of arming these motherfuckers even less. Seriously, though, the idea of arming an elementary school teacher is the single most absurd thing I've heard out of my gun-loving counterparts on the right. It's gotten really hard to defend gun ownership this year, and right now is definitely not the time to be creating fantasy scenarios of a veteran principle shimmying through vents and checking corners with an mp5. If they really feel the need to make an argument FOR guns in all this, they need to make an argument for RESPONSIBLE AND SENSIBLE GUN OWNERSHIP. This fucking guy's mom clearly wasn't big on either.

Don't even get me started about the fact that you have to take a Hunting Safety course in my state to shoot animals but you don't even have to pass a simple gun knowledge test to buy a gun made explicitly to shoot another human.

You still have to pass a background check at the federal level, but the federal background checks suck and they don't pick up on huge red flags like 'a history of mental illness' unless they've been institutionalized. It's ridiculous. Oklahoma's the same way, but now we have open carry on top of all that, so not only do we have crazy people with guns, we have crazy people with guns walking around in public like it's the fucking wild west.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8