Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Free logo Thread - Unlimited Edition  (Read 3116 times)

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Free logo Thread - Unlimited Edition
« on: December 21, 2012, 01:05:26 PM »

Want a free logo for your website/business/blog/other? Good news! As an official patron of REDACTED, I can supply you with whatever you need!

Fill out this questionnaire and you'll soon have a logo in three sizes, a business card and the copyright to both. I work with free art or donated art exclusively to produce, so keep in mind that if you want something higher-end I must either get you to pay for the resource or pay me so I can pay for the resource (preferred).

Here's the thread where it all started. Every client gets a budget of 3 hours to start, and if I feel like I can award 2 bonus hours.

Required:

Name of Business:

Type of Business:

Describe your average customer in around 50 words or less:

Tell me all the places your logo is going to appear, and include a link to any website it may appear on:

Average cost to average customer of your product or service:

Describe your product or service in three descriptors (eg. "reliable" "wacky" "country-themed"):

Optional:

Describe your ideal logo imagery:

Tell me your budget for this project:

Choose a font (describe the emotions elicited by it or provide an example of the font [camera phone img] and I'll find it):

Choose a color scheme (I may try to override you but I'm very negotiable, and if you need help with a color scheme you can provide a picture of the color(s) you want and I'll create a color scheme for you):

Provide your own art:

Any additional information you want to give:

Questions go where? HERE! You can also send the questionnaire to me in a PM if you don't want the production process to be public, but I WILL be posting the final version online and taking credit as well as talking about the process (positively) in this thread. I'll just leave your name out in that case.

Note that I am not a technical illustrator but a branding and corporate graphic designer, so my designs will typically lean toward simple and clean unless you 1) provide your own art or 2) someone else joins in the fun and sketches something cool for us or 3) I am able to find something to work off of that is public domain or can be altered 35% or more to suit our needs.

This is all voluntary on my part. No refunds if I give up in a huff and decide to get a job at McDonalds in the middle of the process ;)

WHY am I doing this? Because I get paid to do it! Isn't that AMAZING!? So. Any takers?

Edit: Want to donate? Donations will bump you to the head of the line based on donation amount and help keep me smoking pot, which I don't have a budget for. PM me for the paypal link.

Phase 1: Post your questionnaire.
Phase 2: Decide on a direction for me to go based on the preliminary designs. Think of them as very rough ideas quickly slapped onto the page so we can start a dialogue.
Phase 3: Make final edits and tell me the sizes and files you want, if you have specific ones. Otherwise I'll give you sizes that I feel may come in handy for you.
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Free logo Thread - Unlimited Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »

Web banners and business card for Turkulainen Elokuvablogi, a Finnish movie review blog.
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:48:03 PM »

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »

Intermission: Picture of a friend's cat.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 12:34:58 AM »

Henderson phase 1:

Henderson phase 2:

Henderson phase 3:

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 03:17:36 AM »

Web banners and icon for Torrential Equilibrium, a blog.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »

It is commonly understood that human brains develop along a pattern we call left and right brain theory. A right-brain thinker is able to visualize an entire layout in their heads before drawing them. A left-brain thinker is able to recall rules and speak many languages. Most of us are a combination of the two, but there are people who are dominantly right or left brained.

The Right-brain is typically in charge of things like:

Recognizing faces
    Expressing emotions
        o/~ Music o/~
            Reading emotions
      Color

Intuition
            Creativity
        Spatial           recognition
    Results regardless of rules
            Association of thoughts

The Left-brain is typically in charge of things like:

Language
    Logic
    Critical thinking
    Numbers
    Reasoning
    Rules regardless of results
    Compartmentalization of thoughts

Here's a Ted Talk about a woman who had a stroke and lost the use of the part of the brain that connects the two halves.

Studies in brain sided control have lead to schools of thought which assert that the brain can be trained to give up control to one side or the other. By practicing right-brain activities one develops them, and similarly practicing left-brain activities develops that side's control. The ability to switch back and forth can purportedly be mastered through careful meditation or simple tricks like doing a math problem or drawing a picture without looking at the paper.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I can tell which mode of thought I am thinking in at any given time (right-brain edit: You're a fucking liar, Guild). Often during a project I walk over to the textured wall of my room and rub my hands over it (tactile) and look at the little bumps and crannies (spatial recognition). This helps me focus my right-brain's dominance and improves my art somewhat. Most talented artists do this unconsciously. I am a left-brain thinker predominantly. After 1 year of highschool Spanish I was dreaming in Spanish.

I've studied giving control to my right-brain for three years now and I'm to the point where I can tell my current mode (though contemplating this ironically usually switches me back to left-brain) and can even will myself to use both halves at the same time if I stop taking my anti-psych meds and make a huge mess in my room of paint and paper and glue sticks. For obvious reasons I only do this on very high-paying jobs and I make sure I have a friend or relative around to keep an eye on me. Being really smart is a burden, and being an artist means living in a world of rules you constantly want to break. So give artists a big hug! Remember that they're very fragile creatures that just need a left-brain giraffe to watch them and keep them safe. They'll pay you back with humor, art, compassion and song.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »

Elements and Principles

An element consists of the non metaphysical aspects of design. They are:

Color
    Line
    Typography
    Texture
    Shape

(Or CLITTS is how I remember them.) It is my hope that one day movement will be added to this list. As in the Minority Report cereal box.

Principles are things related to how elements are arranged in a layout. They are:

Proportion
    Rhythm
    Unity
    Balance
    Emphasis

(Or PRUBE is how I remember them.) Gestalt is the condition in which the elements are principally so harmonized that nothing can be changed without losing gestalt. Message is a measure of the overall effectiveness of the message desired to be sent by the layout. Hierarchy is a measurement of emphasis, proportion and rhythm combined.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »

Price: $10 for just the logo, $50 for the copyright.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »

What? Are you going to ding them $5 annual for free use of the logo they commissioned?

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »

What? Are you going to ding them $5 annual for free use of the logo they commissioned?

No this was a paid job aside from the ones I'm doing for free.

Edit: Oh I see what you're asking.

One minute.

Edit 2:

Quote from: Question
So, is your typical rate ~$200 an hour? Just curious because most professional designers in my area charge $25 - $100 an hour.

They probably retain the copyright so that the customer has to keep going back. "I need a business card change." "Alright, that'll be another $45 for my time." The first estimate is my fee for the copyright (so you never have to see me again if you don't want, but you may have to find a new graphic designer) and the second price is my hourly, which is $40*. Typically nobody pays for the copyright because they wouldn't know what to do with the vector file regardless. I have yet to sell a copyright. Usually large businesses do it so they can hire cheap graphic designers to modify/apply the logo at-whim.**

*Plus costs of production, ranging from things like buying the right to use a font to the cost of a bucket of paint so I can splash it on a piece of plywood and photgraph/vectorize the splatters, which I've done and was fun.

**What this boils down to is that client cannot hire graphic designer to design a business card then rip the logo off and put it on their sign, fliers and company t-shirts. Each iteration of the graphic's use has to be paid forward to the artists involved OR the copyright to do these things must be purchased. Hence why I only use free fonts and public domain imagery in this thread: Nobody's paying me so I can't buy nice fonts or shutterstock photography, for example.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 07:30:35 PM »

Required:

Name of Business:
     Karai Sensations

Type of Business:
     Adventuring goods, guides, curios and trinkets.

Describe your average customer in around 50 words or less:
     Resident of Sigil, the City of Doors, who wants to see and read about exotic places, but no desire to travel to them themselves

Tell me all the places your logo is going to appear, and include a link to any website it may appear on:
     (Fictional) Stationary, posters and shop doors, books.

Average cost to average customer of your product or service
     Middle-Class, can purchase food and items without too much worry. Is able to go to the theater once a week. Has enough buffer for one major catastrophy.

Describe your product or service in three descriptors (eg. "reliable" "wacky" "country-themed"):
     "Exotic" "Enjoyable" "Unique"

Optional:

Describe your ideal logo imagery:
     Something to do with clouds, but somewhat abstracted, sort of.

Tell me your budget for this project:
     20gp :V

Choose a font (describe the emotions elicited by it or provide an example of the font [camera phone img] and I'll find it):
     Excitement, curiosity

Choose a color scheme (I may try to override you but I'm very negotiable, and if you need help with a color scheme you can provide a picture of the color(s) you want and I'll create a color scheme for you): Blue/yellow. Sky, storm, rain, and lightning are all in this area.

Provide your own art:
     None

Any additional information you want to give:
     Character is the public representative and main face of the faction 'Society of Sensation', if you are familiar with that.

Karai Sensations phase 1:

Karai Sensations phase 3:

Logo:

Book cover:

Legal letterhead:

Total time budgeted: 2 hours. Hypothetical price: $80 for just the files, $400 for the copyrights. Thanks for the excellent portfolio piece!

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »

This person also got an .eps file so he could have the image cut out of magnet material (or even vinyl) and put onto his trucks.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »

Prelims for Zamora Auto Clinic.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 05:58:19 PM »

Phase 2 for Zamora.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »

Let's talk a little about typography (by special request from TKFlash!).

Typography is two parts evocation and one part rules of art. The eclectic stuff we won't cover (things like how it makes us feel to see the swirly CocaCola font) but the rules of art as they apply to typography are fascinating to me.

The most important part of typography is knowing where it will appear and what utility it has. Body text is usually humanist or serifed or has other leading elements which allow our brains to see words as pictures and associate the meaning quicker. Headline text is typically sans-serif or mechanical and intended to be read more slowly or deliberately.

What do I mean by seeing words as pictures?

Image 1 and Image 2 were stolen without permission.

In the first example we see that though parts of the letters are blocked off, the meaning of some words can still be ascertained because we tend to memorize associations of letters as groups when we read. Whole sentences can even be memorized and recalled in this way. Figure 2 should be self explanatory in this regard, illustrating how the brain associates these letters as words with meaning. Figure three is my own creation. If you noticed the repeating word, give yourself +10 points. Often comprehension comes from the memorization of words as single or even strung images.

In most fonts the individual parts of the letters follow the 'rules' of semiotics: Repetition of line weights and shapes of anatomy, flow between elements, hierarchy (capital letters are bigger, bold words are more prominent, larger fonts are 'louder') and contrast to differentiate individual letters.

Image 1 stolen without permission. Image 2 is my own creation.

In the first image we see the anatomy of typography. When these elements have similar line weight and shape, the typographical wholeness of the font lends readability as the shapes become familiar enough to associate as groups of letters rather than individual sound parts. The larger a type appears the more important kerning (the spaces between letters) becomes. In the second image we see how at a small size the body type Caslon looks fine, but at a larger size the letters must be shifted slightly or the words appear gaped and therefore disjointed. So I adjusted the larger letters to lend more flow to the words (the light grey is the original kerning).

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »

The top one is unkerned. The next one is kerned for large size. Below that are the same two at body text size, wherein the bottom one is now too crowded for easy eye scanning. I feel that the second 'po' in the kerned large-size still contains too wide a space by about .4 pixels.

Note that when the letters are closer together the word appears bolder. This is one of the features of proximity.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 11:47:45 PM »

Karai Sensations phase 1:

Karai Sensations phase 3:

Logo:

Book cover:

Legal letterhead:

Total time budgeted: 2 hours. Hypothetical price: $80 for just the files, $400 for the copyrights. Thanks for the excellent portfolio piece!

I exactly clocked 2 hours, then had an issue sending the file anonymously to the client, which cost me an additional 12 minutes unbilled while I figured that out. So I learned to add 2 minutes to my overall time for all clients who don't provide email, since I now understand mediafire hosting and 2 minutes is about how long it takes to get the link ready for the client to download from.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 05:31:54 AM »

Let's talk a little about typography (by special request from TKFlash!).

Typography is two parts evocation and one part rules of art. The eclectic stuff we won't cover (things like how it makes us feel to see the swirly CocaCola font) but the rules of art as they apply to typography are fascinating to me.

The most important part of typography is knowing where it will appear and what utility it has. Body text is usually humanist or serifed or has other leading elements which allow our brains to see words as pictures and associate the meaning quicker. Headline text is typically sans-serif or mechanical and intended to be read more slowly or deliberately.

What do I mean by seeing words as pictures?

Image 1 and Image 2 were stolen without permission.

In the first example we see that though parts of the letters are blocked off, the meaning of some words can still be ascertained because we tend to memorize associations of letters as groups when we read. Whole sentences can even be memorized and recalled in this way. Figure 2 should be self explanatory in this regard, illustrating how the brain associates these letters as words with meaning. Figure three is my own creation. If you noticed the repeating word, give yourself +10 points. Often comprehension comes from the memorization of words as single or even strung images.

In most fonts the individual parts of the letters follow the 'rules' of semiotics: Repetition of line weights and shapes of anatomy, flow between elements, hierarchy (capital letters are bigger, bold words are more prominent, larger fonts are 'louder') and contrast to differentiate individual letters.

Image 1 stolen without permission. Image 2 is my own creation.

In the first image we see the anatomy of typography. When these elements have similar line weight and shape, the typographical wholeness of the font lends readability as the shapes become familiar enough to associate as groups of letters rather than individual sound parts. The larger a type appears the more important kerning (the spaces between letters) becomes. In the second image we see how at a small size the body type Caslon looks fine, but at a larger size the letters must be shifted slightly or the words appear gaped and therefore disjointed. So I adjusted the larger letters to lend more flow to the words (the light grey is the original kerning).

This is actually a pretty sweet post, Guild. Though I freely admit that I failed to garner the +10 points (and still fail to see any word consistently repeated throughout the whole block of gothic text)

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »

As I walked I looked and I saw that there were leaves all around on the ground and the silvery light cast by the the moon gave me pause to to consider my own mortality.
Pages: [1] 2