Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: Guys, I think I might have a problem -- Anyway, Let's Play SimCity 4!  (Read 12052 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Guys, I think I might have a problem -- Anyway, Let's Play SimCity 4!
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »

These are people who constantly interrupt what you're doing and yammer on constantly about whatever their area of expertise is.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 06:04:33 AM »

NORFAIR

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 08:20:57 AM »

There's no "Blighted, pitted, acid-rain-scorched extraterrestrial planet surface" terraforming option. I guess I could just name a few regions after Zebes areas and have e.g. Maridia be mostly water and Norfair be a polluted industrial wasteland and Crateria be the national landfill.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:53 AM »

itt r2 struggles to think of a nintendo game with any notable metropolitan areas

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »

fine, River City. or Metro City.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »

Bob-omb Battlefield isn't a well-settled area. I'm more brainstorming for recognizable geography.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »

C-Island.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 05:39:13 PM »

Is there a sort of biggish area where you could try make the world from zelda on the SNES?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »

Bob-Omb Battlefield and 8-bit Hyrule are in the biggest region areas, so nothing is going to be very precise. It only gets smaller, either half or one-quarter the size of those areas. But 16-bit Hyrule is "flat prairie with mountains in the northeast, forest in the west, and a body of water in the southeast (there isn't a desert biome, everything is basically southern California no matter what features I put in).", so precision isn't all that necessary anyway.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »

Back to my central hub.

I put in a parking garage and a bus STOP STOP STOP STOP HOLD ON

Super Mario 64 Soundtrack - Bomb-omb Battlefield

IS IT STUCK IN YOUR HEAD YET

I put in a parking garage and bus station near the freeway entrance to Hyrule. People who live in Hyrule and work in Bob-Omb Battlefield can park in the garage and hop a bus to where they're going.

In fact, parking garages are a fine addition to other mass-transit stops in residential areas. Commercial and Industrial areas don't need them, as I understand it, because nobody is going to drive to a parking garage and hop a train home.

Dicking around with mass transit changes people's commute times enough that there's some rolling issues of unemployment through the city. Once people work out how to get around, the problem solves itself.

Putting in bus and elevated rail stations isn't solving my overall traffic problem, though.

A new avenue down to the original industrial area might help people get to work without as much of a fuss.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »

Oh my. He ain't lyin'.

Pricey upkeep, but I'm polluted enough as it is.

Better get some new residents and offices in here to raise the tax income a bit and cover my new solar power plant. Thankfully I can power these new zones on account of my new solar power plant.

I also scope out a locale for the airport local businesses have been clamoring for, but it's huge. That means it needs a huge swath of flat land!

I put it up by the high-tech industries, which are faltering for reasons I haven't been able to work out.

The airport is hardly built before people cry out to expand it.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 05:10:51 PM »

The Fresh Prince of Bom-Omb Battlefield

This is one situation where such a thing is actually called for.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 05:21:06 PM »

It takes a bit of investigation to realize that my rail lines aren't working because every intersection either doesn't connect to the rail line it crosses, or only connects in one direction. I set about fixing it, and spend well over an hour with the game paused, demolishing chunks of the city and flattening land just trying to get the damned things to cooperate. Elevated rail lines are EXTREMELY picky about how they connect, and the elevation and slope of the land usually means they just flat-out don't.

I left the problem unsolved to go out for New Year's schmoozing. On the way, I passed a Subway restaurant, and remembered that subways are an option! They're expensive to place but cheaper to upkeep than elevated rail, and (as you might expect from a subway) they go underground where elevation and existing structures don't interfere with their placement and connections! Subway stations even a bit smaller than elevated rail stations, making them an all-around best decision if you can afford to place them in the first place. My monthly income has been in the black for quite a while now, so no sweat there!

As with the rail stations before, every subway station gets a bus station nearby.

Areas formerly demolished or built around for the construction of elevated rail are rezoned for development as the lines sink beneath the earth.

The elevated rail line-to-subway connection is just as irritably picky about its placement and connections as the elevated rail lines themselves. So to hell with it! SUBWAYS EVERYWHERE. In residential areas they get a parking garage adjacent; otherwise they just get a bus station.

I left literally one segment of elevated rail track somewhere and he complains they're not connected.

But holy balls! A comprehensive mass transit system fixed almost all of my traffic problems! Thanks, crappy sandwich franchise! Guess you're good for more than just making Friday sigh wistfully!

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »

:ohmy: sighhhhh~~~

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »

...th... the country club is a hub for criminal activity? I thought it was just where rich old white guys convened to-- oh.

Ohhhhhhh.

I give 'em a couple of police kiosks nearby, as if it'll help. People that white are immune to arrest, and people that rich are immune to prosecution.

Anyway, off to solve another of Bob-Omb Battlefield's problems by way of the suburbs.

It's Crateria. Remember what I said I was gonna do with Crateria?

I put some basic infrastructure in place, build a giant landfill, and ask to have all of Bob-omb Battlefield's garbage imported to fill it up.

I rather expected to get some of the nigh-70000 tons of garbage accruing in Bob-omb Battlefield, but they're not shipping it over. Which means my economic model -- taking the payment for garbage shipments to fund the city -- isn't working.

I'm so broke that the military offers to build a base and a missile test range in the area for a small fee. I also get a toxic waste dump, for another tiny stipend. It's not enough, although it makes Crateria about as much of a shithole as the place it's named after.

There's nothing else for it but to start over.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »

YOUR CLEAR TIME WAS

1 POST

SEE YOU NEXT MISSION

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 05:46:07 PM »

Let's try again, shall we? Different way of doing things. First, we build a power line connection to Bob-omb Battlefield.

We build two garbage-burning power plants and much smaller landfills, seriously those things are $5 per square per month -- which I'm pretty sure makes them one of the most expensive things in the game considering how big they need to be. But Bob-omb Battlefield still isn't selling its garbage for me to burn for power, which I in turn can't sell back to them, which again ruins my entire idea. I guess you can only take as much garbage as they're generating, not as much as they have -- even if the stuff is piled up in the streets.

So I just build a couple garbage processing plants in Bob-omb Battlefield. Now I'm burning more than I'm generating, so the overall garbage level in the city drops off quickly. Once that's done I keep one plant burning off whatever garbage is generated -- which isn't all that much, so it doesn't cause much additional pollution -- and build another Solar plant to power the city. (I accidentally bulldozed the original coal plant while doing this, so I needed another power source anyway.)

Good try, Crateria! But learning your models don't work is part of learning to play the game.

We can move on to something else now.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 06:20:18 PM »

why the hell do landfills have an upkeep

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 06:44:26 PM »

That trash ain't gonna pile itself up.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 08:27:04 PM »

Search me. The question goes from funding oddities to game balance considering how much space landfills take up for comparable upkeep when you can build a comparably tiny Waste to Energy plant and permanantly solve your garbage disposal needs.

First things first, dunk it all underwater by uniformly lowering the land altitude.

Then, uh, I get so caught up terraforming I forget to screencap my doing it.

But check the minimap and city name in the lower right for that thing I usually get a shot of.

Also, holy balls bridges are expensive. To be fair this one's kinda long and made of avenue, but dag yo.

C-Island is me going "Hey, game. Is it possible to skip the Industrial city setup and skip straight to having Commerce provide my jobs?" So I pick a bridge that looks reasonably nice -- as far as I know it has no ingame effect, but who would want to drive over a hulking steel monstrosity to go to the beach?

Yes, the beach. C-Island is set to be a vacation destination for stressed Bob-omb Battlefield residents, so I put in lots of wide-open beach space to enjoy. (Beaches are one of the best desirability-boosting things you can build, for both Residential and Commercial, but can only be built on coastlines.)

But like anything that requires jutting out over the water, it is a massive pain in the ass to massage into place and get constructed. They're only facing one direction, for one thing -- the "land" part can only face to the convex edge of the island.

Undocumented feature: the "Home" key spins a lot around to face another direction so you can place it in other areas.

Not a bad start.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7