Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: Social Issues in Games  (Read 27855 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Social Issues in Games
« Reply #400 on: August 02, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »

Well hell, I'm all for women's equality and I think ass-and-titties as a selling point for media is distasteful and I'm actually embarrassed of how flat and uninteresting I am beyond being a "gamer". Somebody send me tens of thousands of dollars on Kickstarter and we'll see if my video series goes over better.

I thought about it and it'd still go over like a lead balloon, since I'm not up to snuff on all the recent goings-on and still haven't played most of the must-have games from the last generation or two.

I'm the one thing Real Gamers hate more than women: a filthy casual.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 02, 2013, 08:34:58 AM »

Most "Real Gamers" (using the term as a pejorative here) equate women with casual gamers; they're one in the same, to them.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 02, 2013, 08:36:43 AM »

Lyrai: I agree with you on the larger point that Anita Sarkeezian probably isn't the best suited person to be leading this discussion, but making fun of someone's last name isn't helping your case. At best, it's kind of childish, and at worst, it could be taken as "lol she's got a foreign-sounding name".

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 02, 2013, 08:38:19 AM »

I'm not making fun of it, I just can't spell it.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 02, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but people are acting like these three videos are the entirety of the series, but isn't this just the first chunk?

That would be a valid excuse if her name weren't literally all over this discussion, including this very thread.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 02, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »

I put as much care into spelling Anita's last name right as she does researching the games in her videos.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 02, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »

So...childish it is, then. Okay.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 02, 2013, 08:56:49 AM »

Consider me mildly peeved that a topic I personally have a lot of investment in is getting shat all over because the current spokesperson for it is completely fucking it up.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 02, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »

Am I a terrible person for thinking that "Anita Sarlacc" was actually sort if funny?

At least nobody's done Anita Dispensaheah yet.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 02, 2013, 10:46:26 AM »

Consider me mildly peeved that a topic I personally have a lot of investment in is getting shat all over because the current spokesperson for it is completely fucking it up.

A self-imposed spokes(woman).

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 02, 2013, 10:51:05 AM »

It's like this.  Remember how Batman and Robin was really awful, and it basically killed the Batman movie franchise for seven years?  Remember how Superman Returns was overblown bullshit, and it basically killed the Superman movie franchise for seven years?  Remember how the Green Lantern movie was basically gibberish overloaded with bad CGI, so now it's probably going to be 2018 before anyone even bothers to make any Green Lantern movie again, let alone a good one?

The concern Lyrai is expressing here, if I'm reading it right, is that Sarkeesian is screwing the pooch so badly, and so blindly, that she's threatening to do the same thing to feminist critiques of video games.  This isn't just a disastrous clusterfuck, it's ruining good points by trying to make them and bombing.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 02, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »

That would be a valid excuse if her name weren't literally all over this discussion, including this very thread.
Quote from: Ted Belmont
Lyrai: I agree with you on the larger point that Anita SarkeeZian....

*cough*

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 02, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »

Uh I don't think DC movie franchises are very similar to the feminist movement.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 02, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »

TA is close to one of the reasons why I'm angry. Each time someone steals the spotlight and fucks it up, that's another good chunk of time before someone decides to brave the already hostile enough environment to try and push back.

Sargasso had a TREMENDOUS opportunity when the entire good side of the internet went "The fuck, trolls?" and dumped a truckload of money on her. And her response was to light it on fire. So now when someone else comes along to try and do it right, there's going to be all the trolling, with a lot less of the "Hey stop it, she wants to do something good." See also that kickstarter of SEND MY 8 YEAR OLD TO GAME CAMP BECAUSE BOYS TOLD HER SHE COULDN'T and it ended up being a huge scam, run by a scammer, who had scammed before.

Each time it gets fucked up, the goal gets pushed further and further away. If not anger, then depression overtakes me. I just want to enjoy the same shit you guys do without feeling creeped out, all right?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 02, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »

Looking back on it I don't think the setback is quite as bad as I had feared at first.  It is a setback - people like to say "Well at least she got people talking about it" and that's true enough, but those people are talking about it and coming to the conclusion that it's not a serious issue and let's not talk about it any more - but it's definitely fixable, even recoverable in a positive way.  The main concern is that the people who could turn it into a positive aren't going to want to because, well, they don't want to be in the position that Anita's in, whatever way they might define that.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 02, 2013, 11:45:41 AM »

Uh I don't think DC movie franchises are very similar to the feminist movement.

Popular reception is popular reception wherever you go.

Looking back on it I don't think the setback is quite as bad as I had feared at first.  It is a setback - people like to say "Well at least she got people talking about it" and that's true enough, but those people are talking about it and coming to the conclusion that it's not a serious issue and let's not talk about it any more - but it's definitely fixable, even recoverable in a positive way.  The main concern is that the people who could turn it into a positive aren't going to want to because, well, they don't want to be in the position that Anita's in, whatever way they might define that.

See how it is once the other eight or nine videos come out.  It's not like she's gonna stop doing everything wrong.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 02, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

Which situation was Sargasso one again?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 02, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »

See how it is once the other eight or nine videos come out.  It's not like she's gonna stop doing everything wrong.

She's not even doing 99% of everything wrong.  Like I said, she could have zero arguable points in her videos and she'd still get chased out with pitchforks.  She could be Kryssstal and get chased out with pitchforks too, but at that point we'd have a much better idea why.  Maybe.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #418 on: August 02, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »

Looking back on it I don't think the setback is quite as bad as I had feared at first.  It is a setback - people like to say "Well at least she got people talking about it" and that's true enough, but those people are talking about it and coming to the conclusion that it's not a serious issue and let's not talk about it any more - but it's definitely fixable, even recoverable in a positive way.

Agreed.  At the very worst, she's provided a series of object examples of pitfalls to avoid.

The main concern is that the people who could turn it into a positive aren't going to want to because, well, they don't want to be in the position that Anita's in, whatever way they might define that.

But I think the best examples of people who are willing to fight this fight -- your Aisha Tylers, your Gail Simones, your presumably thousands upon thousands of people who I've never heard of -- do not give a fuck about that, or even see it as a challenge.

Motherfucker, ALL of them.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 02, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »

Which situation was Sargasso one again?

When Anita started the kickstarter, it got swarmed with Redditors and their ilk, complete with "fuckin whore" and the like. It helped increase the money it was getting several hundredfold.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24