Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Celebration for your bravery! Let's play E.V.O. The Search for Eden!  (Read 10421 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration for your bravery! Let's play E.V.O. The Search for Eden!
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 05:06:44 AM »

The "eat" button is occasionally useful, generally for things with long necks... but I'll get to that.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 06:20:07 AM »

evo is the best game this is a fact of science
But is evolution more science than building three robots to rescue your father and go to outerspace and save the world? I think not!

man i miss snes era enix

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 09:58:33 AM »

Right.

We're still at the Coast of Pange, but a few million years in the future.

Our first goal is to leap onto that slightly-higher rock! It's tricky for some reason. The new amphibian body is a shitty jumper, and I end up falling in the water a few times.

Hooray! Stupid amphibian.

Coulda been a crustacean.

Those guys are delicious.

Anyway, there's a yellow crystal here.

Yellow Crystal: If you evolve your tail, you will increase your jumping ability and your HP.

Actually, that reminds me...

New jaws...

New horns...

New bodies -- one of them costs a whopping 5000 EP!

I wouldn't need a Vestigial Shark's Dorsal Fin if you'd have just let me keep my own Kuraselache Fin.

The Thorn Tail increases Strength, the Spring Tail increases Jump, the Thorny Spring Tail does both.

And there's a bunch of stuff I can grow on the back of my head for various effects. The best of these is probably Jeprol (for +5 to Bite), but..

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 10:01:12 AM »

You know what'd be a great idea?

Forcing the player to give up their fully-evolved fish body for a new crappy amphibian body, then forcing them to do an aquatic stage.

With Coelafish. I assume they taste like a mixture of cinnamon, vanilla, and citrus. Most people would spell that coelacanth, but these guys... coela can't.

Coelafish: It is very difficult for us to evolve or fight against other creatures. So, we stay as we are.

Those guys are only worth 4 EP a pop, so I leave them alone.

Way to rub it in how much my new body sucks, game.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »

Maybe there's something better over in this direction.

Or maybe not.

Hey! Birds haven't been invented yet!

Whisper A: ...to change your body back to the way it was before, doesn't it?
Whisper B: Ye-----s!
Whisper A: But Captain, isn't it wrong to operate the process in reverse? This Crystal must be bad for the Evolution process.
Whisper B: Absolutely not!
Whisper A: I will not take responsibility for anything that happens.
Whisper B: -----It is still good for the future of this planet------

It's hard to see in the green foliage, but there is indeed a green crystal here.

Eating it does nothing obvious.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 10:14:55 AM »

Awww, lookit the little guys! They panic and flee when they see me coming!

The only thing that carries over from fish body to amphibian body is body size. Since I ended the fish age chapter with a large-sized body, my amphibian starts with a large-sized body. This means lower Agility, but higher Strength -- enough that a single tackle attack is enough to kill an Ikustega. Which is good, because nibbling away their two HP with my puny Frog's Jaws while they try to flee is tedious.

Dragonflies buzz overhead, but I can't reach them.

In what is obviously a bug, large sized amphibians get +7 HP and +2 to Strength, Agility, and Jump from the Vestigal Shark's Fin; small amphibians get +25 HP, +3 Strength, +2 Agility and Jump, and +1 Defense from the same fin -- the boosts that large amphibians get from the Edasaurus fin that costs 800 EP more. So if you start small (by never growing body size as a fish), the reasonably cheap Vestigal fin is a damned good investment.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 10:22:28 AM »

Bull Ikustega pounce and bite. They're not terribly dangerous, which is good because I'm still awfully weak. They can swarm and stunlock you while they nibble away at your HP, but hell, most enemies in this game can do that.

I eat enough for a Spring Tail.

Seriously, every level in this chapter is flat. Why do so many amphibian parts boost Jump so much?

Oh, now that we're out of the water, there are day/night cycles. This only effects other creatures, though -- it's easy to sneak up on prey and eat them while they sleep.

Ikustega jaws. :)

Mottle body. Now I fit right in with the background! (Camouflage has no in-game effect.)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 10:25:14 AM »

Well, it is now. I'm here.

Bull Ikustega: ...takes care of plants.

He does such a good job there are no plants here to eat to regain HP.

There are enemies here who can charge and ram with their flat foreheads. I'm not sure what sort of amphibian they're supposed to be.

What? AMPHIBIAN is evolving!

Axolotl gills!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »

T-this is the elder who takes care of plants?

Boss Ikustega: ...this is the final area. I am the strongest of the Ikustega family. I am.... Debustega.

In Japanese, "debu" means a fat person. His name might as well be Lardotega, or Fatasstega, or Please-don't-eat-ustega. That's basically what it means.

Debustega: Did you laugh at me? Do you think my body looks funny? I know you are laughing at me! You make me very angry!

Futurama - the Robot Devil criticizes Fry's writing

Pff, ha. What are you going to do, jump around and squash me under your big fat ass?

...oh.

Debustega is moderately difficult, mostly because you're still stuck with relatively weak evolutions by the time you fight him. He can leap around and hock slime at you. Both attacks do about 10 damage, which isn't huge but can add up fast.

At one point I have to stop and heal, so I evolve some Tusking jaws.

Hah! Like King Kuraselache before him, Debustega explodes into food.

Oh. I guess you're the elder who looks after plants. Where are all the plants, anyway?

I know it.

Damn right, kiddo.

Elder of Ikustega: Considering your great strength, I have something to ask you. Could you do me a favor?

Like I ain't got shit to do.

But thou must!

Elder: Thank you. Actually, this land used to be covered with plants. Suddenly, insects started to evolve extremely abnormally. These insects ate all of the plant life leaving this place like a desert. They are trying to eat any remaining plants around the area. They refused our proposal to coexist. Now they are attacking our people. The father of this child went to try and persuade them, but he has never returned.
Child: ---- Dad ----.
Elder: Could you please help us?

Yeah, fine, if it means I get to murder and eat all the insects and stuff.

Murdering and eating is kind of my thing.

Kinda what I do, you know?

WHAT? I'm killing and eating! That's what the jellyfish told me to do, god!

...oh. Guess these two are exempt from the rules, huh?

Fine, I'll just agree to their demands and leave. Leave without murdering and eating them.

Even though that's my thing.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »

I have no idea what they're shooting for with "profasu". The closest I can find to an actual word is Polyphagidae (po-ri-fa in Japanese syllables, I guess), but that's a modern family of desert cockroaches.

Anyway, they say "Those pesky amphibians are coming again!" and charge.

Profasu skitter across the level from right to left. They have about five HP. If they're damage but not slain, they try to fly away.

Considering they literally walk into your jaws and are worth 40 EP each, they're pretty good for EP grinding. This is me with a Thorny Spring Tail.

At night, more Profasu spawn (four at a time rather than two) and they run in from the left, too. It's easy to get stunlocked and swarmed.

I grow a Thorn Dorsal Fin and some Fierce Jaws before leaving. (The Edasaurus fin gives lots of HP, the Thorn fin lots of Strength, and the Jumping fin lots of... Jump. And Agility.)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »

Not the Bees

The giant bees swoop down and carry off Ikustega.

I eat several of them before they catch on and start attacking.

The next stage has bees carrying off more Ikustega.

Hah! Got all three in one bite!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 11:11:13 AM »

Sweet merciful Gaia that's a huge stinger.

Ikustega: Bee, but I have been badly injured. Is there anyone who can tell the King-Bee how important living in peace is? Sir ---, you look very strong. I have a favor to ask of you.

Damn me and my magnificent, powerful body.

Ikustega: I am about to pass away soon. Please eat the food I have collected so that you may become strong enough to defeat the King-Bee. If you can defeat the King-Bee, it will enable the plants to recover and grow again. But.... I wish I would have met my son before I pass away. Sighhh... ....Farewell, my son.

Surprisingly heavy for a SNES game that got released in America.

Oh well.

Inside the cave, several eggs hatch into tiny wriggling larva as I walk by.

They taste like chicken.

Sup.

That's not a greeting, that's what I'm about to do.

On your corpse.

King-Bee: You have evolved strangely. Did you use the crystal's power?

Huh? No. I ate a yellow one that told me what tails are for and a green one that didn't do anything at all. I got this far by slaughtering everything in my path and feasting on the remains.

King-Bee: As I said before, the only way to satisfy our large appetite is to devour all of the plant life we can find.

Yeah! I know that feel, bro. Only I eat creatures rather than plants. Those respawn as soon as I go offscreen and come back.

King-Bee: If you feel the way we have chosen to live is wrong, maybe you should change it.

Huh? I just agreed with you.

King-Bee: You may only change it one way though.

No need to be so dramatic.

I mean, I'm going to kill and eat you anyway.

But it's not because I disagree with you from a moral standpoint.

I just kill and eat everybody.

It's my thing.

I evolved the Scaly Body to heal up during the King-Bee fight, making my greasy mudfish look kind of awesome, really.

What? You want a piece of me, too?

Dragonfly: Megausu. You got it! I didn't agree with the way of the King-Bee either. I will give you some advice. You have no strong enemies ahead. At this point you don't need to evolve. The Sand-Eater in the next area is very strong. I suggest you run away.

B-but you just said...!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 11:18:40 AM »

That's a sand eater. They're invincible.

All you can do is stop to eat the green crystal halfway through the level (it still doesn't do anything) and try to avoid getting sand sprayed into your eyes.

You know, something's been bothering me about the whole King-Bee thing.

Edasaurus: ...still the same. It is the Era of Reptiles. The Era of Plants and Insects has ended.

Their names are close to Adasaurus but they look like Dimetrodon. I don't even know.

King-Bee, King-Bee. Hmm.

These guys. They like to hide in the sand, but they roam around at night. Also: check out my new Armor Body in that last shot. 5000 EP well spent.

Man! I just can't put my finger on it. King Bee!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »

Hey Megausu. How's it hangin'?

Megausu: ...orders.

Dude, harsh.

Hah! That's it! Bees don't have kings!

You realize I have to eat you now, though, right? Nothing personal.

Queen Bee: ...the King-Bee. You have destroyed the laws of our Insect society. I feel it is unfair that only our society be destroyed! The Amphibians must be destroyed too. I shall destroy you first for defeating my husband.

Way to not say "kill" at all in your monologue, lady.

King-Bee looked like a giant bug. Queen Bee looks like a monster.

But like King-Bee, she drops to the ground when she takes damage, and goes backwards to take wing again. You can get in several free hits after you knock her to the ground once if you can get the timing right.

She does a lot of diving attacks, giving you ample opportunities to jump on her head.

She fires drill stingers, too, but the level gives you ample room to dodge her attacks. I didn't need to evolve to heal even once.

ME WANT HONEYCOMB

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »

Gaia: ...recover. The plants that were totally destroyed will grow back again.

Then they weren't "totally" destroyed, now were they?

Gaia: The ground will become an ideal place for all creatures again. Ok, here is your new body.

Ugh, this again?

Gaia: It is the body of a reptile.

Now I'm back to some tiny little lizard or some damn thing and have to evolve all over again.

Gaia: You can evolve into many different things with this body.

Oh! I'm a dinosaur.

Yeah, I have to start over from zero with my evolution and everything.

But I'm a dinosaur.

Ain't even mad.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »

And I'm pretty sure King-Bee never said that.

Gaia: ...for power. These creatures are called "Dinosaurs", because of their strength.

Behold the Brontochapterus!

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »

The Green crystals do do something!  Just ... not something useful at this stage of the game.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 02:23:51 AM »

This is not a blind LP. I know what green crystals do.

New chapter. You know the deal.

Yellow Crystal: ...era. If you choose two legs, you will be able to jump higher. If you choose to have four legs, you will have stronger defense. If you choose four legs, your ability to jump will be limited so be careful when choosing.

Biped or quadruped dinosaurs, huh.

Whisper A: How many reptiles have challenged Mt. Brave?
Whisper B: Only a reptile with true bravery may be eligible to build a new age.
Whisper A: I believe Mt. Brave is a good target to overcome. This will help us choose the Chosen One.
Whisper B: I feel an ominous hunch...

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 02:28:26 AM »

Forked path!

Slimy Amphibians: What's wrong with slime? Huh. Ribit, ribit.

Prime Frogs are way more trouble to kill and eat at this point than their 10 EP is worth. They hop away faster than my lumbering dinosaur can run, and lash with their tongues before I can get close enough to tackle or bite.

Bull Ikustega? That's more like it.

Ikustega: ...have eaten so many plants, we have become worried.

Hey, I saved the plants all by myself a few hundred years ago.

Won't stop me from eating you though.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 02:39:16 AM »

Other fork.

Tecodonto behave a lot like timid Ikustega. They run away and have two HP. If you nibble or stomp them and don't kill them, they turn aggressive and try to attack back.

So they make good early-chapter grinding fodder. Let's check our options.

There are a lot of options! Dinosaur jaws have high biting power, bird jaws slightly less. But bird jaws give you +3 agility each.

Horns. Same as always.

Dinosaurs can have long necks!

Lots of options, again. The Nautilon's and Pronesaurus bodies make your dinosaur into a Sherman tank, and are only available to quadrupeds. And speaking of! Here are the options to start standing upright.

Dorsal fins are linear. More EP equals better fins.

Likewise tails.

The Horned Helmet gives better Strength, the Tritops Helmet better Defense. It's a one-point difference either way, so :shrug:

Dinosaur parts are expensive.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5