Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: How is viddy formed  (Read 1106 times)

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
How is viddy formed
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:24:44 PM »

How is viddy formed
How game get davelop

Actually, I wanted to ask for some advice about something I know you guys have a bit of an idea about!
My boss wants me to spend a bit of time each week working on something technology-related that isn't building websites, I've decided the best thing for me to try do would be making videogames, I just want to know where the best place to start would be? What's a good thing to get to practice the basics? My only programming experience is HTML and CSS stuff, and some little things I built years ago.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: How is viddy formed
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:30:28 PM »

Experience with HTML and CSS is mostly not transferable; it means you have some exposure to the requirements of syntax and the principle that computers do what you tell them, not what you want, but programming is much different. If you've used Javascript or PHP (or some other backend language) extensively in your web development, that would be more applicable knowledge.

Game development frequently uses a lot of pretty complex programming techniques, but explaining them when your programming experience is with web markup and the occasional scripting would be out of order. Similarly, I could list the frequently used libraries in game development (which all work pretty much the same anyway), but you wouldn't get far with them without a solid foundation in more general programming.

So you should start with some of the very useful tutorials that are out there for beginning programmers. The fundamental principles of programming are present in every programming language (though they're more visible in some than in others), and they transfer directly to other languages; and hobbyist game programming can be done in virtually any language (the professionals use C++ for performance reasons but C++ is kind of a pain; some languages' tools are better than others). So it doesn't really matter what language you start learning with.

There are some game development tools that don't require much programming knowledge at all, but they're necessarily limited, so I doubt you'll be satisfied with them for long.

So it depends on whether you prefer to A) learn just barely enough programming to scrape together a game that runs like shit, or B) put a lot of serious effort into learning how to do it the hard way before you can produce anything fun. These are by no means mutually exclusive, but I think you're going to want to do the latter sooner or later, so it might as well be sooner.
...but is it art?

Healy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »

You could try Twine, which is a mostly simple language that lets you make CYOA games using javascript. You don't need much programming skills to begin writing and there are plenty of resources for beginners, like this tutorial or this behomth of a page.

Whatever you end up doing, remember to have fun!
the assassination of video james by the coward electronic arts

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »

Game Maker is easy to make games with but not very technological.

Flash is reasonably easy to use but fading quickly.

Unity is on the rise and will teach you C#.

HTML5/Javascript is shit.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »

I'm quite fond of Love2D, which however doesn't appear to have been used for much.
...but is it art?

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »

Thanks, guys! I've been making my way through some tutorials that bongo linked to me! But i'll be sure to check out the other stuff you guys showed me.

paultim374

• Untested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »

Flash is reasonably easy to use but fading quickly. There are some game development tools that don't require much programming knowledge at all, but they're necessarily limited, so I doubt you'll be satisfied with them for long.  I could list the frequently used libraries in game development (which all work pretty much the same anyway), but you wouldn't get far with them without a solid foundation in more general programming.

sharphosts    http://www.sharphosts.com/
visualexams    visualexams

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 10:42:57 PM »

*sigh* I'll get out the Voight-Kampff machine.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 11:00:41 PM »

*sigh* I'll get out the VoightSora-Kampff machine.