Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Welcome to Fallen London, delicious friends  (Read 3345 times)

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
Welcome to Fallen London, delicious friends
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:04:06 AM »

Fallen London is a browser-based game with excellent writing. It's weird Victoriana without bearing the taint of steampunk fetishism. It's alternately sinister and silly, much like Welcome to Nightvale, albeit with a different ratio. It's about the city of London, which was stolen by bats in the late 19th century and hidden beneath the surface. Shadowy merchant-lords rule the city with an iron fist, but life continues much as usual. There are wily urchins and clever devils, tool-using gutter rats, and dueling newspapers.

Fallen London is a "social game" and a "clicking" game, but the best of the breed due to the quality of the writing, the depth of the mysteries, and the acknowledgement that morality systems don't have to be as reductive as killing puppies vs. kissing orphans. Unfortunately, like many social games, it requires friends. Friends to betray and friends to entice.

I require friends to corrupt in my mad search for the secrets of the fallen Master of the Bazaar. This is the route that devoted, masochistic players take that costs them (in-game) money, reputation, and (real life) pride. It is a maze of Kojima-esque proportions and unfairness. To model my character's decline into madness, I need to spread the meme of decay to untainted minds. It's clever commentary on the recruitment strategies of other online games, that.

I'm also interested in securing the services of a midnight dueling society for the currently running Knife-and-Candle tournament. Certain prizes require winning streaks, and my path to the top would be much easier were I assured of the occasional timely victory. Of course, participants would be amply rewarded. In false treasures.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to Fallen London, delicious friends
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:14:45 AM »

I already play.
Your demise is pre-ordained.
Do not blame yourself.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »

So how do we do the friendly thing, then?

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »

I already play.
Your demise is pre-ordained.
Do not blame yourself.

Then step forward and be counted, ye merry man of England! My ravenglass knife is waiting.

So how do we do the friendly thing, then?

Click on the My Friends tab and click on the link it provides to edit your settings, including friends. Add dna_cowboys and whatever d------ moniker that shifty ne'er-do-well Classic uses. I'm not sure when Knife and Candle becomes accessible. Maybe it just costs 101 whispered secrets or an invitation?

When you reach 30 Watchful, I will require a favor of you. Do not fall to Mr. Eaten's corruptions before then.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

This game has changed a lot since the last time I played. If people will actually accept my boxes of what may or may not be cats, then I'll happily dive back in!

Username: jsnlxndrlv
Character: Apocrypha, a wily and shrewd individual of mysterious and indistinct gender.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »

When you reach 30 Watchful, I will require a favor of you. Do not fall to Mr. Eaten's corruptions before then.

What is this favor and what are Mr. Eaten's corruptions?

Also, apparently I cannot be trusted to play this game on a tablet as I accidentally sent the starving poet into prison during one of my cases and I am somewhat upset.

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:45:46 AM »

What is this favor and what are Mr. Eaten's corruptions?

I need to invite one more person into the Seeking Mr. Eaten Name quest, which deals in becoming Unaccountably Peckish. At the higher levels, the quest adds opportunity cards that can't be discarded without doing something expensive like eating a restaurant's worth of food or a single surly bat. Progressing in the quest often means taking high levels of Nightmare, Suspicion, and Wounds. Continuing too far in the quest will stain your soul. However, one of the non-discardable cards has a "I want to abandon this crazy quest" option. You'll stop searching for Mr. Eaten, but I hear that option shuts you out of the quest forever.

Here's the official recruitment thread, which is shrouded with secrecy and lore.

According to the updates at the end, the new minimum requirements are Watchful 80 and Scholar of the Correspondence 3. Yikes!

Also, apparently I cannot be trusted to play this game on a tablet as I accidentally sent the starving poet into prison during one of my cases and I am somewhat upset.

I remember a time not so long ago when a misclick cost me the life of my dearest (and most expensive) rattish companion. The underskies are cruel.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 12:31:47 PM »

So, what stuff will I be safe selling? I assume extra clothing items are okay, but what about goods, rubbery, etc? Stuff that can't be used from the inventory.

Also, how do I bring my Nightmares down? I'm at 5, and I'm starting to see a Merry Gentleman in my opportunities. I assume this isn't good.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:43:55 PM »

Confess fears with me! Invite me to chess! I need to grind for second chances.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »

I would love to, but I don't know your name!

Mine is Radius Jones. I'm a poet!

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 05:20:57 PM »

Classic invites you to be a snooty intellectual.

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »

So, what stuff will I be safe selling? I assume extra clothing items are okay, but what about goods, rubbery, etc? Stuff that can't be used from the inventory.
Pretty much everything that isn't equipable can be upgraded or used to pay for something. In general, you won't need duplicates of equipment or pets (although I can think of limited examples for both.) Goods are a good category to sell for petty cash since they can't be upgraded into anything better--but there are still times when you'd be better off having the moonpearls, rats, etc. A lot of the non-gear stuff that seems unique earlier on can be found outside of quests later on.

Also, how do I bring my Nightmares down? I'm at 5, and I'm starting to see a Merry Gentleman in my opportunities. I assume this isn't good.
Confess fears to Classic! Laudanum also works, to a point.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »

I've gotten started as Ocksi, a menacing and shadowy figure.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »

If anyone's game to help me remove some suspicion, that would be grand. I seem to have pushed myself up higher than I meant to and my jacket is covered in blood, which isn't helping things. Someone make me an alibi!

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »

Mr. DNA Cowboys may have betrayed the final person necessary to progress past the threshold of madness. Yesterday, at great expense, he wooed the Artist's Model and married her. Today, he began whispering the secrets of the Correspondance in her ear.

[spoiler]That night she whispers to you: "Do you recall how we came to that place? And they sang of their lightnings and shapeful disgrace? And we tilted our vanes and ennobled our spires. They welcomed us then and commingled all choirs. And not enough, not enough. Still It mourns, and still waits the Sun." In the morning she has gone. She has cut off her hair and burnt it in the bathtub.[/spoiler]

If anyone's game to help me remove some suspicion, that would be grand. I seem to have pushed myself up higher than I meant to and my jacket is covered in blood, which isn't helping things. Someone make me an alibi!
If you send me a request, I'll accept it.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 07:05:54 PM »

Anyone want to tail an affluent reporter with me?

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »

Also, is it just me, or do I always win sparring matches and chess games that I host?

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »

C'mon gentleperson brontoids, that affluent photographer isn't going to get on their own trail.
Well, they might, but we won't profit from it!

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »

Also, is it just me, or do I always win sparring matches and chess games that I host?
My investigations into the matter suggest your hypothesis is correct. How strange!

C'mon gentleperson brontoids, that affluent photographer isn't going to get on their own trail.
Well, they might, but we won't profit from it!
Profit, you say? Never let it be thought that Misters DNA Cowboys are against the notion of profit!

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »

And it is done!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5