Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: WOE Planning Board  (Read 6191 times)

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
WOE Planning Board
« on: June 06, 2008, 07:02:57 AM »

It's about time to start talking about what we're doing this year.

First of all, this year's events will be taking place in August.  I'd like for it to run from August 1st to August 24th.  A bit shorter than in previous years, but the old Pyolympics tended to be a mess of missed deadlines anyway.  Let's see about keeping this one a little tighter.

Secondly, a change that I'm enforcing with a taser: No nations.  None.  This means that your points are yours and yours alone, and if you want to participate in an event, you can.  A few events may feature a bit of teaming up with competitors, but for the most part, you're responsible for your own participation and your own victory.

That change will also make judging a little easier: anyone who isn't participating in a Contest will be eligible to judge it, because the lack of teams will alleviate bias.

(also, it makes Werewolf possible, but we can discuss that some other time)

In light of that, I'd like to weight Contents more heavily than Games this year.  Contests are far easier to participate in, because many people do not own or do not care for many of the Games that others do.  Here's my initial thoughts on the medal chart, piss on it if you want to:

Contests (n = number of participants)

Medals
Gold: 5 points + n  (max 15)
Silver: 2 points + n  (max 12)
Bronze: n  (max 10)

Awards
Honorable Mention (4th): n / 2  (minimum 1)
Judge's Favor: +1
Participant: 1

So, in a Contest with 6 participants, Gold gets 11 points, Silver gets 8 points, Bronze gets 6 points, and an Honorable Mention gets 3 points.

(edit: In line with the below examples, here's one for 8 participants: Gold gets 13, Silver gets 10, Bronze gets 8, Hon. Mention gets 4)

A Judge may hand out a single one-point Judge's Favor award to an entry in the contest.  If the entry doesn't win a Medal, the participant receives a point for each Judge's Favor award.  If the entry does get a Medal, the participant gets half a point for each Judge's Favor award, rounding down.

Judges must award a score of integers 1 through 10 to every entry in the contest.  Minimum of three, maximum of five judges per contest.

If a judge is being an ass, then the Arbiter's Panel (members TBD) reserves the right to shit up his nose, nullifying his scorecard and rendering him ineligible to judge further contests.  Examples of assitude: giving 10 to one entry and 1 to all others (unless they really deserve it), giving good scores to retarded scribbles and bad scores to legitimate attempts, rolling dice to come up with scores.  (Judge's Favor points are not subject to these rules.)

All participants get at least 1 point.

Games

There are going to be two scoring categories for Games: Free Games and Commercial Games.  Free Games will be worth more.

This scoring system applies equally to high-score challenges and tournaments, though I'd appreciate feedback on the subject.

Game challenges without at least three participants do not award points.

Free Game Scoring (n = number of participants)
1st Place: n + 1
2nd Place: (n + 1) / 2
3rd Place: (n + 1) / 3

So, in a Free Game tournament where 8 players participated, the winner gets 9 points, the runner-up gets 5 points, and the 3rd place guy gets 3 points.

Commercial Game Scoring
1st Place: n - 2
2nd Place: (n - 2) / 2
3rd Place: (n - 2) / 3

In a Commercial Game tourney with 8 players, the winner gets 6 points, the runner up gets 3 points, and the 3rd placer gets 1 point.

Commercial games are weighted against because it is unfair to require people to pay money to receive points.  Why does it matter in a silly online competition?

Because there's something new that I want to do this year.  This may be controversial, but here goes.

Prizes

In an effort to encourage strong participation, and to maintain interest throughout the event, I'd like for us to offer prizes to the winners.

The prizes themselves will come from us, Dirty Santa style.  Participants may, but are not required to, pledge to add something to the Prize Pool.  If a Participant places something in the Prize Pool, he receives a Pyolympic point award of 5 points for a small contribution, or 10 points for a large contribution.  The difference between a "small" and "large" contribution is something I'd like to debate, but I would like to set a hard maximum of 10 points on the bonus.

(Just so I don't get into trouble, I'm going to forfeit my own point reward for my future contribution to the Prize Pool.)

One's pledge can be anything they are willing to give up.  I'm going to go ahead and say that money is not allowed; we can discuss that later if you want.  You can purchase gifts, if you really want to, but it is by no means a requirement.

All pledges to the Prize Pool must be awarded.  That means that even if the 1st place winner made a large pledge, it must still be sent to the 2nd and 3rd place winners.

I suggest distributing the Prize Pool in the form of a draft.  The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will get into a chatroom together, and proceed in the following order:

1st: Pick 1
2nd: Pick 2
3rd: Pick 3
1st: Pick 4, 5
2nd: Pick 6
3rd: Pick 7
1st: Pick 8, 9, 10
2nd: Pick 11, 12
3rd: Pick 13
1st: Pick 14, 15, 16
2nd: Pick 17, 18
3rd: Pick 19

So, in the first 19 prize picks, 1st place gets 9 of them (47%), 2nd place gets 6 (31%), and 3rd gets 4 (21%).  The three can swap prizes or picks as they see fit, it doesn't really matter, as long as each of them has the right to keep each prize they pick.  (The distribution gets a little bit better for 1st place as it goes on, but I doubt picks beyond 19 are going to progress normally anyway.)

Part of the hurdle here is how to itemize Prize Pool contributions, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

So, before I exhaust myself, I'll just bullet-point the things I want to discuss in this thread:

* Scheduling
* Point distribution
* Contest judgment
* Prizes

Game and Contest ideas should go in this thread.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Pyolympics Ever Planning Board
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 07:12:08 AM »

This is important enough for a double post:

If anybody tries to bribe a judge, in any way, that person is disqualified from all Pyolympic events.  Same goes for judges that accept bribes.  You can't promise to send someone part of your prize pack in exchange for a score of 10.  If you do, you're out.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: WPE Planning Board
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 08:47:13 AM »

Just so you know Kazz, if I win this thing you can be my best friend.

Your scoring system is fair and balanced like a Fox. I approve and have nothing to add sans that if there are only nine or so prizes perhaps the first nine placers should take a prize rather than SHOWERING the first placer. Just so, you know, you got more stamps to lick.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:03:22 AM »

I don't disagree with any of this, I just think you're taking it way too seriously.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:32:56 AM »

I'd be up for judging a few things. I don't really handle myself well in competitions, so I likely won't participate much.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 10:33:13 AM »

THIS IS SERIOUS SHIT BRENTAI YOU RETARD

edit by Kazz: sock rammed

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »

I don't disagree with any of this, I just think you're taking it way too seriously.

I agree completely.

The first year, I didn't take it seriously, and nobody else took it seriously, and the thing lasted two months and barely anything got done.

The second year, I took it seriously, and the other people running it took it seriously, and we tried to make everybody who participated take it just as seriously, and things didn't go well or weren't organized correctly and there were several differences of opinion and it just sort of ended up causing more trouble than it was worth.

This year, I have an idea.  I'll take it way too seriously and make sure everything's working so that you can all fuck around and have a good time.  You guys won't have to worry about anything, just let me know what you want to do and I will make it happen.  Deal?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 11:06:24 AM »

I want you to ram a sock down Guild's throat.

Dogstar

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »

I love you, Kazz.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »

brent: done and dogstar: thanks i guess

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »

I too would like to anally violate you.   :wuv:

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 03:02:35 PM »

boooooo I want nations back
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »

Would you be happier if nations were brought back with a maximum population of 1?

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 03:08:16 PM »

As long as there are mandatory flags and anthems, yes.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »

So I suspected.

Do it Kazzapella.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 03:22:43 PM »

I already looked into turning sigs on for a single board only: no can do.  Unless you want to use your avatar for flags, CHRISTMAS IS CANCELLED.

Also, the nation setup is gone, for the reasons stated above.  It did not help participation one bit last year.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »

Frankly, now that I wouldn't have a nation's standings partially depending on my performance, I feel much better about participating.

not that it stopped some people before

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 05:41:09 PM »

Nations are nice because then you can build a team on everybody's different strengths.  Otherwise, if you don't like a bunch of contests, you're never going to place because you won't be participating.  That seems less fair if there are going to be less events.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »

not that it stopped some people before

: Yo!
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 09:09:36 PM »

I would like to say that my music trivia contest can only really work with groups, given that I really try to make the sources diverse.

Even -Niku- couldn't get them all.
Pages: [1] 2 3