Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Every Day They're Out There Remaking DuckTales  (Read 925 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Every Day They're Out There Remaking DuckTales
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:21:42 AM »

This full blast on loop for a month

Best VGM 40 - Duck Tales - The Moon

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »

My god, it's full of stars.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »

For some reason I always thought this was a Mega Man song.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 09:57:30 AM »

Nah, Capcom RULED OUT LOUD with their Disney games on the NES.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »

I'm not sure where to check this kind of thing, but given that Mega Man and Ducktales were both mid-NES-era Capcom games they may well have had the same people working on their sound design. Stands to reason they'd be similar.

The moon theme was much slower in the Ducktales prototype cart. Not that that has anything to do with anything, it just seems like the sort of trivia folks around here appreciate.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »

Ah -- I heard a Stu's Show interview with June Foray a few months back where she said the DuckTales cast had reunited to do a video game; I wasn't expecting a remake of the NES game.  Good times.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »

DuckTales: Remastered - African Mines trailer

Launchpad's voice is really jarring.

Which is weird, because it's Terence McGovern, the same guy who's ALWAYS been Launchpad.

Then again, 20 years away from a role is a long time.  Transformers Prime Megatron doesn't sound a thing like G1 Megatron despite being Frank Welker.

EDIT: Whoops, this goes here, not Stupid Videogame Playing Stories.  Forgot this thread was no longer pinned and reached for the wrong one.  This is not actually a stupid videogame playing story, it is a stupid trying to post in the correct thread story.

Also: Mongrel, it occurs to me that this is a pulp game.

Roger

• Waiting for the next Smash Bros is the Pits
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 11:23:13 PM »

Alan Young is the most noticeable change of the returning actors thus far, since his Scrooge has a more tired sound than from 20 years ago.

Of course, that's ignoring those whose VAs aren't alive anymore, like Flintheart Glomgold or Gyro Gearloose.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 05:57:15 AM »

Whereas June Foray sounds exactly the same as Magica DeSpell in 2013 as she did as Natasha Fatale in 1959.  How does she do it?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 06:56:47 AM »

I love Rob Paulsen's live podcast with June from last year.  She's basically delightful.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Roger

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 04:26:44 AM »

On making the music.

Be warned: They finally reveal their Moon theme. If you were saving yourself for marriage release date, you may want to hold off playing it.

DuckTales: Remastered - Music Duckumentary

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 06:09:09 AM »

I'm going to say he fucking nailed it.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Roger

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 06:38:04 AM »

Picked it up on PSN. 

It's a pitch perfect remake.  But let it be said, that means it has the originals flaws in addition to its strengths: the game is short and easy.  But the writing is utterly Ducktales and it's full of charm.  The voice work is a match, and the "new" voices (replacing deceased actors) aren't jarringly bad.  Of course, Virt's soundtrack steals the show, but that would have gone without saying.

Beat it on Normal difficulty, will try Hard another time, and eventually maybe Extreme.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »

Man, anybody else getting sprite flicker like a motherfucker up in here?

EDIT: Steam thread.  One guy says it's x360ce, but I still get it even without it.

Apparently they're working on a fix, and in the meantime it'll just be a little bit closer to the authentic NES experience.

The process doesn't terminate properly either; just sits there eating a couple hundred megs of RAM after you tell it to exit.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »

I think it's interesting that they felt the need to add an entire tutorial level to show you the two different functions of the B button, but felt that the old NES-era teach-by-demonstrating philosophy would be appropriate for things like, for example, letting you find out that the post-Dracula portion of the game is geared around racing to the top as fast as possible, and if you play it like you have played the entire rest of the game up to this point and stop to hunt every nook and cranny for gems, you will die.

Oh, you were on your last life?  Oh well, you can replay the entire last level from the beginning again for a fifth time, because this is 1989.

You guys realize I already paid you my fifteen bucks and I don't put another quarter in every time I get a Game Over, right?

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 12:18:26 AM »

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIIIIIIIIIIT

THIS GAME IS FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 01:14:20 AM »

Okay, I thought some of you might get a kick out of reading some of my experiences with this fine game, so here we go. Keep in mind, I never owned a Nes, so this is my first time playing this game.

Presented with five levels, I mucked around in each one a little bit before deciding I wanted to do the Himalayas first. This was my first mistake. Apparently this is one of the hardest levels in the game, and also disables the cane-hopping mechanic to some degree what with the snow trapping you and all. Also, delightfully, each level has a hidden heart in it, and you're meant to do the easier levels first to get the bonus hearts, then tackle the harder levels later. So I was doing the Himalayas on 3 hearts, although I did find a fourth.

So in the Himalayas level, you're supposed to find a machine that has been broken into 3 parts, which come out of rabbits that look like Thumper dotted around the level. There is a map that explicitly tells you which rabbits have the parts and where they're located, and I played the level for a full four hours before realizing this, working under the assumption that the parts just came out of completely random Thumpers, and you just had to kill every single one in the level to find all 3 parts.

Pretty much wanted to kill myself up until I figured that out. I briefly thought about starting over with the Amazon, but I wanted to be tougher than the toughies so I stuck with it. It took me like 6 or 7 goes at the Yeti boss to realize he continued his jumping in a fixed direction after you hit him, so I could just jump on him and then go behind him to avoid at least 50% of his jumps. For once I credited a game with too much intelligence.

I think I got about 10-12 game overs on that level all-up, so thank God I didn't decide to LP this game...

So after that, I decided to do Transylvania, completely failed to understand the portal system and wandered around lost until I had to ask Roger for help, at which point I found the right portal almost straight away. It might've just been because I had 5 hearts now, but this level was a complete fucking joke compared to the Himalaya one. Highlight of this level included not realizing I was meant to go back to the start of the level and panicking when I did so after finding Beakley, so I went and redid the entire level and went through the mine carts twice with a heavy heart, only to find I was meant to return to the room where I got the heart power-up!

I haven't decided what level I want to do next, I might actually do the Amazon, but I dunno if I wanna take the sissy way out just yet.
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »

I owned an NES but never got around to playing DuckTales.

For a Capcom platformer of its vintage, it's actually a fucking cakewalk.

For a game released in 2013, it combines some of the worst design trends of yesteryear with some of the worst ones of today.

The decision to keep the gameplay mostly intact is a highly questionable one.  The game is Nintendo Hard; its difficulty is largely the result of cheap placement of infinitely-spawning enemies and instant-death pits, not enough checkpoints, and not enough lives.  WayForward, instead of attempting to alleviate any of these issues, added a completely unnecessary tutorial level and a bunch of cutscenes.  It overexplains shit that doesn't need explaining, and it doesn't explain...well, I just covered this two pages ago.

Don't get me wrong, I love this fucking thing.  I love the graphics, I love the music, I love the gameplay, and hell yes I love the completely unnecessary, momentum-killing cutscenes.

The other day I played through the Amazon.  I managed to blow through all the extra lives I'd racked up on the Moon and Transylvania, which doesn't bode so well for the rest of the game.

Near as I can tell, the main difference between Normal and Hard is that Hard removes the map and most of the extra hearts.

I wanted to be tougher than the toughies

:8V:

I tell you, I broke out in a grin when Scrooge delivered the "smarter than the smarties and tougher than the toughies" line.  And then I thought about how Barks got screwed and felt sad.  Like what Chris Sims said the other week about how much he loves Batman but every now and again he'll see the "Batman created by Bob Kane" credit and just be angry for the rest of the day.

Sure is nice seeing Barks and Rosa named in the credits.  I'm sure Rosa would have preferred a check.  (Hey, I gave him twenty bucks the last time I saw him.  I really do need to put this signed print up on my wall sometime.)

Anyhow, no, the point of a Capcom game where you get to choose the level order is to poke around until you find the right one to start with.  Lots more fun, and a good way to get a tour of the game while you're getting your ass kicked.
Pages: [1] 2