Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: EK3 Feedback  (Read 2979 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
EK3 Feedback
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »

This is where all the yelling and screaming goes.

I'll say again, feedback about things that you liked is just as important, if not more important, than feedback about things you didn't like.

Also, please be specific. Saying "evil fire is gay" doesn't help me. Show me the screen where it's a problem for you.

Thanks!

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: EK3 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 04:48:29 AM »

The segment in I-have-no-idea-whose section, where there are a bunch of lasers in space and you have to navigate through them with the umbrella for three or more rooms straight without a save point while loud exciting music loops incorrectly. That doesn't have enough save points. There's one slow and trivial screen with timed lasers, and then you have to jump directly into the next screen and the one after that, which are much more difficult because of the umbrella lift mechanics, and neither of them has a save point.

This is probably where my attempt ends.
...but is it art?

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 06:17:42 AM »

That sounds like yyler's area! That was the hardest part of all the areas I ever saw.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »

It's mine. It's three rooms without a save.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 11:06:14 AM »

Three years, fine.

Three rooms, I'm out.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:21:39 AM »

I've made more progress! I'm well into Friday's "The Abyss" and have decided to take a breather.

Impressions of contributed areas:

The introduction seems a bit lackluster compared to EK2. There's no title screen, for instance. Slime Fields was a clever beginning area, though, and I had a lot of fun in the Climb Ruins.

I barely remember the Cave of Robots but I guess that means I liked it?

Obviously Hospital Innerspace was the best area in the game and is perfect in every way. The Magic Rocketship Adventure was one of my favorites, as well.

Condemned City had really excellent aesthetics and storyhaving, but in the second half, Friday, if you're going to use a SFX channel instead of a music one in order to make sure the music loops, please pick a version of the song that actually loops instead of fading out!

The Save Area looked great but I wish it had more going on in it.

I did not like The Wall very much. I found it far too difficult and not very interesting to look at or listen to.

The Mine of the Golden Key had very impressive scripting and puzzling, and is one of my favorite of Kazz' areas, but I must mention that I noticed the assembly of the level had a few graphical seams in it (mismatched edge tiles, use of Sign instead of contiguous Sign Area blocks, etc.).

The White Pyramid was a lot of fun, but [spoiler]I think I enjoyed the obstacle rooms more than the things I played in order to retain the keys that allowed me to skip them. Still, the option to skip them, which I did exercise on occasion, was much appreciated, and I also enjoyed the reward for making it through with both the blue and the purple key[/spoiler].

So that's where I am so far.
...but is it art?

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »

use of Sign instead of contiguous Sign Area blocks, etc.

I noticed this as well, and was torn about fixing it because it wasn't my own work. Stupid, I know, but I always hate changing something I didn't make. I could patch it if I got the OK from the creators.

I did not like The Wall very much. I found it far too difficult

I know you had trouble with the Umbrella Maze at the end, but were there any other room(s) you found overly difficult/unfair?

and not very interesting to look at or listen to.

I wonder if/how much the difficulty soured you on the aesthetic.

The Save Area looked great but I wish it had more going on in it.

I'm with you there. Stush made an amazing tileset for such a tiny area.

There's no title screen, for instance.

Oh, right. I totally forgot that was a thing you could do. I can add one using stock art, or even better, someone talented at the art thing could whip one up.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 03:19:34 AM »

YO.

Aww yeah, this is my thread, alright.

I gotta register a complaint about that fuckin robot room with the fuckin one cannon shooting at you. You'll see which room I mean if you watch the video, but I thought that just running it down and hoping you randomly get between the bullets was totally the correct solution until Kazz set me right cause my fuckin brain is broke.

Anyway, it's only for special ed kids like me, but you could totally put an obvious barrier down in front of the cannon to make nerds like me make the cognitive leap that we're meant to jump over it.
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:07:30 AM »

Haha, yeah, watching both you and Newbie play has made me realize that Climb Ruins is a lot harder than I had intended, so I added in 2 more save points on those difficult screens.

And I put in some lasers for those hoses to make it clear you're meant to jump over them.

Of course, none of this well help you because it's all being patched AFTER you clear it, but it'll help anyone who decides to play this in the future (like who I wonder).

honey9

• Untested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:09:57 PM »

i would like to appreciate you for sharing such a great info with us
honey

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »

That sounds like yyler's area! That was the hardest part of all the areas I ever saw.
I think my areas are likely some of the easiest as I recall

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »

Yeah, the area in question was definitely one of Friday's.
...but is it art?

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »

Whoever used the same tiles for background and foreground should be drawn and quartered. That's my feedback.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 06:45:27 PM »

And up ahead I have a lot of invisible floors

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 09:32:16 AM »

Of course, none of this well help you because it's all being patched AFTER you clear it, but it'll help anyone who decides to play this in the future (like who I wonder).

I cleared the Climb Ruins without the patch, but then I got to the spark sprinklers in the Robot Cave.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »

balloon trip from hell

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »

I discovered that after 3 years of not playing Knytt, I am too casual to even complete my own areas. I got through most the game by cheating, then cheating was so hard that I gave up.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 01:07:59 AM »

Due to similar complaints, I have released EK3 Easytype.

Note that you can still use your old save.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 04:28:56 AM »

Pah, until you put back in all the dummied items and summons and character abilities I'm not interested.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 04:46:52 AM »

Haha, I know you're joking, but I didn't remove a single screen of content from Easytype. However, all the optional content is at its original difficulty, which means that if you need Easytype you probably don't stand a chance at it. But it's there still!
Pages: [1] 2 3