Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: EK3 Feedback  (Read 2986 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: EK3 Feedback
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 04:51:31 AM »

One more thing:The release of easytype doesn't mean I won't continue to fine tune Hardtype's problem screens. The next release (1.5) is adding a save point to that Umbrella Laser Maze, for example.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 05:40:00 AM »

I don't have high jump so it's impossible to leave this room. But I can just respawn.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 05:48:59 AM »

How the heck are you there and don't have high jump?

You're really, really not supposed to not have High Jump there. You must have skipped past it somehow using the Editor.

Anyway, just go ahead and add it using the Editor, because holy crap you are 100% meant to have it where you're at.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 06:11:56 AM »

There was a branch in the computer area and I took one branch and that was that.

rest of the game became basically impossible

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 06:56:10 AM »

are you telling me you got to that screen without high jump

without using the editor to skip screens

and without any like finding a bug/hole in the world and falling through void skipping shit?

because if so that's a major deal and you need to tell me exactly what you did so I can fix it

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »

also, 1.5 is out.

Features new and improved better looping music (thanks to Esperath) and an extra save at the dreaded umbrella maze.

almost all the changes are quality changes like sound (with a revamped intro even!)

easytype will likewise be patched in a few

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:48 AM »

I don't remember what I did but maybe I'll open the editor to figure it out later tonight (I am at work now).

There is a point where you can wallswim and get into the void early on, I think before the city, but I didn't want to say because I wanted a screenshot for that also. I didn't use it for anything nefarious though.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »

I think in EK1 I got to a similar stitch without being able to run. I should never have gotten that far. It just happens through a combination of dumb luck and sheer bloodymindedness.

(Expecting the game to be ridiculously hard means that if you try and fail at a task ten times, you don't go look for another route -- you try ten more times until you get it by pixel-precision the creator didn't expect.)

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »

It's 1026x1041 that has the wall swimming thing I mentioned. If you go in there and climb the walls up you can leave the map. But you can't do anything interesting I don't think.

I looked at how I skipped high jump. Don't know what I did but can't replicate it.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »

uh, far as I can tell 1026x1041 (and 1041x1026) is a blank screen?

As far as skipping High Jump, I discovered it actually IS possible to advance a few screens beyond where you're meant to have it due to an oversight in the design, but then you run into an impossible to pass screen a few screens later anyway.

So what probably happened is you skipped it, got to a screen you thought was impossible, and then kept using the editor to skip past the "impossible without high jump" screens.

Anyway, I made it so that you can't do that anymore in 1.5.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 06:12:43 AM »

You're right, sorry, I meant 1028. Those numbers are small. I may have been drunk.

As far as skipping High Jump, I discovered it actually IS possible to advance a few screens beyond where you're meant to have it due to an oversight in the design, but then you run into an impossible to pass screen a few screens later anyway.

So what probably happened is you skipped it, got to a screen you thought was impossible, and then kept using the editor to skip past the "impossible without high jump" screens.
I wasn't using the editor but I was using the knytt cheat sometimes. I didn't think I used it in that whole area but I guess I did!

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 06:21:55 AM »

ah, I see. Easily fixed. Thanks.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »

I accidentally corrupted my save file and am using the editor to reconstruct it. I've decided I'd like to start over from [spoiler]The Abyss[/spoiler]. Is the entrance to it x999y1000, and what items should I have activated?

Edit: Oh, it's [spoiler]none of them at all, because the guy took them away including the keys[/spoiler], isn't it?

Also, I switched to easytype and have decided not to pursue the optional content even though I was doing just fine before.
...but is it art?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »

Friday, why did you remove all the save points from [spoiler]the corrupted version of EK1 Gray Hell[/spoiler]?
...but is it art?

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »

inner juni room 2 hard
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »

fak u friday
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »

ok, but i get to be player one god of fire

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »

but serious talk time if ek4 ever gets made (haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yeah) don't worry, I've learned a lot about my own warped sense of difficulty from watching you and Newbie play

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:04 PM »

mostly that I am a sadistic bitch and I need to be shot

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 09:56:43 PM »

Umm, the Inner Juni room ended up being more of a puzzle room than anything. I had to take it apart piece by piece and assemble the best possible route, which was interesting. It went kind of like:

1) The first laser rotation (dropping through the right hand gap before the laser first appears) is a trap, since if you take it, the window for the three lasers along the bottom is too narrow. I tried to go through a bunch of times before I realized that the second rotation was more forgiving.

2) You need to do the first two lasers along the bottom together, otherwise you get stuck between them and the fuckbug gets you. It also conveniently syncs up with the third laser blinking off.

So, while I felt like it was way too hard, there were also lots of tricks you could implement to remove a lot of that. I don't even know if you intentionally designed it that way or not but yeah, I naturally assumed all the laser rotations were synced up, but the first laser rotation seems way less forgiving than the second? I'm not even sure how that works.

If it was intentional to have it turn out like that, you're some kind of savant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3