Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Sleepy Hollow  (Read 947 times)

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
Sleepy Hollow
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »

Anyone who didn't catch the series premiere of Sleepy Hollow needs to correct that ASAP.  This show is amazing.

Seriously it's on Hulu.  Just ... just watch it.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Sleepy Hollow
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 05:57:46 PM »

I was skeptical, but holy shit you were right. If this show can ramp up over a season the way it did over an episode, I will be thoroughly impressed.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 01:40:16 AM »

Yeah, I caught it last night on the ol' DVR and liked it waaay more than I was expecting.

The idea of making the headless horseman into the T-1000 was an... unexpected, and delightful direction.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation; I was not planning on watching it but it was indeed quite good.  Good cast and I liked the Ichabod Crane as Rip van Winkle touch in particular.

Amusing to note the similarities to Under the Dome: each one has one of the military brass from Starship Troopers, and features a (comparatively) big-name actor who plays a sheriff, [spoiler]who dies early on and leaves behind a female minority officer to discover his secrets[/spoiler].  Off the top of my head.

Worth it for Clancy Brown reading Revelation alone.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:27:06 PM »

I think that link may be broken, TA, because it certainly isn't leading to a good T.V. show.

In fact, I whole-heartedly believe they're setting up for the revelation that Ichabod goes back to his time and tells this story, which in turn is responsible for the definition of contrivance.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:21:13 AM »

That was a ridiculous first episode. And I say that as a guy who watched five seasons of True Blood. Entertaining in its earnest goofiness, though. Points off for like a Starbucks joke. Most ludicrous part: A bunch of NY Cops not immediately opening fire on a perp.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 06:10:59 AM »

Second episode is a respectable followup.

[spoiler]Monster-of-the-week format is something I'm personally entirely okay with, as long as they can keep it fresh, and I have the feeling they'll be able to do that.  Glad to see that Sulu and the Kurgan aren't gone from the show completely.

I think my favorite part of this series, aside from all the batshit goofery, is how subdued and realistic they're handling Crane's introduction to technology.  He's not a stupid man, he's not ranting about sorcery or calling anything a devil machine, which you might expect from a worse-written show.  He understands that there are things he doesn't understand about the world in which we live, and he's learning.  The bit in the cave with the flashlight in the first episode was a great example of that.  Just some light physical work, but holding it gingerly, tapping the beam to see if it's solid or burns, looking at his fingers in the light, pointing it at his face and flinching back from the brightness ... it all came off as very authentic.  I loved that.

And there's a lot more of that in this episode.  There's the little stuff towards the beginning - being impressed by the hair dryer, then using it to dry his shirt - but the bit at the end with the gun was fantastic.  Yes, Ichabod Crane was a soldier, he knows how to point and shoot a pistol.  He's probably pretty good at it!  But he doesn't know about magazines.  That exchange at the end - "What are you doing, you dropped your gun!"  "It was empty."  "You only fired one shot!"  "It has more?" - that was great.  He's not questioning her, he's not disbelieving her, it's just something he hadn't even considered was a possibility.  And now he understands.  The actor does a great job with the inflection on that line.[/spoiler]

I love this show so much.  Six seasons and a movie!  Sure, it's goofburgers in its presentation (which I absolutely adore), but underneath that it's very tightly and authentically written, and has an excellent cast delivering some very nuanced performances.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.