Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30

Author Topic: Who Needs the Fight Command, Anyway? Let's Play Final Fantasy 6 Advance!  (Read 42626 times)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Who Needs the Fight Command, Anyway? Let's Play Final Fantasy 6 Advance!
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2013, 02:27:11 PM »

I'm going to go with a party I never used in all my playthroughs.

Celes, Gau, Cyan, and Shadow

Seconding this. Seems like it would be a fun challenge.

That glitch is awesome.

I remember, on my third ever playthrough, a friend of mine lent me his SNES Game Genie, and I discovered that there was a code for walking through walls. So I input the code during the intro sequence, and walked out of Narshe with Vicks and Wedge. Then, I went to the castle, and managed to walk past that guy guarding the engine room. After fighting off the tenticle boss and recruiting the king (whose default name was ???????????), I left the castle, to discover I was now in the World of Ruin, without an airship.

My team was thus WEDGE, VICKS, ?????????? (Terra), and ??????????? (Edgar)

It's probably possible to go further, but I hadn't quite figured out a way to power level, so I just got rocked by the WoR monsters and then stopped trying.

You should try it, see how far you can go.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2013, 11:21:24 PM »

Fuck yeah, you're doing this. Loving the attention to details I somehow never noticed. Especially boss fight shenanigans. I never realized you got a marginally better reward for wailing on an electric snail shell in blatant and tedious defiance of prior exposition. I did that, but I didn't notice you got an ether for it.

Also still calling dibs on Setzer because vanity. Fixed dice and master's scroll, motherfuckers.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2013, 05:10:56 AM »

R2 isn't doing the name thing.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2013, 05:20:08 AM »

"Sharktzer" doesn't even fit.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2013, 07:23:28 AM »

Although now I want to see a completely different version of Rocket Knight Adventures.

i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »

I'm going to go with a party I never used in all my playthroughs.

Celes, Gau, Cyan, and Shadow

Seconding this. Seems like it would be a fun challenge.

One of you forgot to vote; Cyan only got one in the poll and will be sitting out this round.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »

Locke got seven votes, Celes six. Edgar, Sabin, and Shadow were tied at five, so I rolled a die in IRC to see who got to sit out. Turns out it's Sabin.

In addition to some money and a Reflect Ring, the treasure shack holds a Thief Knife and a Thief's Glove. Who was that old guy, anyway?

Anyhow, the way to Kohlingen is still through Figaro.

As the ranks round out, it'll probably become less and less likely that Edgar and Sabin get to share the spotlight. But I'll get around to their backstory eventually.

We saw the look on his face when we kicked his sorry arse out of Narshe. Pretty similar?

The shopkeepers in Figaro are loathe to take money from their own royal family, but if Edgar is the party leader, you can get a half-price discount on anything they sell.

...which includes most of Edgar's tools.

Anyhow, off we go.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »

Previously, Edgar had problems dealing damage to single targets. Autocrossbow and Bio Blaster are nice, but hit all enemies evenly. The Drill remedies this shortcoming! It never misses, ignores the target's Defense value, and does grievous damage. Add Edgar to the list of characters who will never need any further use of the Fight command.

There was a bug in the Japanese version that allowed characters to equip any item as armor. The Drill, equipped as a hat, became famous as the most broken example of the bug -- it made the character wearing it virtually invincible. In a nod to this, there's a Machine set of armor in Dissidia, where the Drill takes the place of the helmet. It doesn't make the wearer nigh-invulnerable, though.

The Flash does less damage than the Autocrossbow, but causes Blind status.

Anyway, north of Kohlingen is a tiny house.

Kooky old dude: My coliseum will be a monument to the glory of battle! ...If I can ever finish it, that is. No one'll help me.

The real draw to this place is the Hero's Ring stashed in a pot. It boosts both physical damage and magic damage, like a combination Gigas Glove and Earrings. It stacks with Earrings but not Gigas Gloves. :shrug:

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »

Terra's the talk of the town in Kohlingen.

Sure did.

Some people are too self-obsessed to remember the flying glowing feral humanoid that stopped by, though.

And some are more concerned about people who don't even live there anymore.

Thanks to the law of conservation of detail, though, you know it's important.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2013, 01:52:48 PM »

Where was the poll? Didn't see it in this thread.

R^2 is this going to be a completely by-the-books Sabin-whole-game in-bed-by-9 playthrough of FF6

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2013, 02:34:34 PM »

I added the poll when I got to the partybuilding point, and took it down when I started playing the next section. I'll put it back up next time I'm offered a custom party.

Sabin will be in the party if he's voted in. And I go to bed at 10, Mountian time.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »

I don't really think Gau's theme is incongruous with his character. I mean he's fucking weird and provides irritating comic relief so one might conceivably expect something offbeat and whacky, I guess. On the other hand, even in a game where pretty much everyone has a tragic backstory, "feral child abandoned in the wilderness by alcoholic father driven mad by grief over the death of his wife" is pretty damn sad. Or it would be if I didn't find both Gau and his mechanic annoying as fuck.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »

Music: Forever Rachel

Locke: There's supposed to be an amazing treasure hidden somewhere in this mountain. We're gonna find it!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »

Locke: Wait! Just let me talk to her...!

Ouch.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »

Rogue: With you here, she can't even do that...

Locke: When I finally returned, I found out that Rachel had been killed in an Imperial attack. Her memory had returned just before she died. The last thing she said was... my name. I never should have left her side. I... I failed her...

So now we know why Locke is so quick to swear protective oaths over any woman he happens to chance across.

HOA Member: Crazy old coot sits in there mashing up smelly old herbs all day... I even heard he's got a ghost in his basement!

Hey, who's that on the bed?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »

Crazy old coot: Hee-hee-hee... Had to use my herbs, I did! Couldn't very well refuse with you begging me like that...

Crazy old coot: Of course, of course! The love of your life will sleep here just like this forever... ...and ever... and ever! Hee-hee-hee...
Locke: If there were a way to... call her spirit back...
COC: A way to call her back, eh? ...You mean like that legendary treasure? Hee-hee-hee... Oh yes, I suppose if you had that... you might be able to bring her around! Gwee-hee-hee-hee!

Everyone turns and files out.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »

As promised, I pick up Shadow at the pub.

Trek, trek, trek through the wilderness...

There's a different city a bit south of Kohlingen.

It's a Libertarian paradise!

It's a Libertarian wet dream! Poor people are all crooks and liars, drive them from your city!

The biggest house of the richest person in Jidoor is at the northernmost part of town. There's an art gallery inside.

...huh.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »

There's no plot development in Jidoor, either. It's entirely possible to walk straight from Figaro castle straight to this next destination:

Zozo, the town of gypsies, rogues, and thieves. It's always raining. There's no part of town that isn't a slum.

Brigands and robbers roam the streets, presumably stealing from each other because there's no one in the entire city who earns an honest living.

There are even corpses lying in the gutters, and no one cares.

Remember: everyone in the town lies. So if someone tells you not to do something...

...you'll eventually end up doing that exact thing.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2013, 11:08:04 AM »

Music: Slam Shuffle

Most of the residents not trying to kill you are oddly fixated on the time.

So remember, everyone in the city lies. So everyone has told you what time it's not. By talking to everyone you can process-of-elimination how to set this clock.

The chainsaw is another tool for Edgar. It's even stronger than the drill and also ignores enemy defense. A quarter of the time, the chainsaw skips dealing damage and instead tries to instant-kill the enemy.

And having brought up those Veil Dancers -- what the hell, game? The Veil Dancers are capable of casting Fira, instantly slaying anyone they hit with it at this point. So why does anybody give a damn about the Empire training magicians when this common street thug can use more powerful black magic than the Imperial generals?

I mean, that's assuming anyone gives a damn about magic with monsters and giants running around. The Hill Gigas -- formerly HadesGigas on the SNES, presumably mistaken for "Hell Gigas" and censored -- is fond of Magnitude8. That's an earth-elemental attack that hits everyone in the party for over 200 damage. I could cast Float to negate the earth damage, but Celes doesn't learn that spell...

There's a relic here that changes Locke's "Steal" command into "Mug", allowing him to hit foes on steal attempts. This is... about the right place for it to be, really.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »

Well, that's awfully nice of you! I guess we finally found a single good soul here in this rainy city of thie--

Dammit, he was lying too.

But with Blizzard, Shuriken, and the Drill, I manage to chew through his HP pretty quickly. (The Drill is better in boss fights, since it never tries to instakill.)

Locke manages to nick some bling in the confusion.

In a move vaguely reminiscent of Gilgamesh on the Big Bridge, Dadaluma chugs a couple of potions and drops Protect on himself partway through the battle.

He also whistles for help, but by that point one more drill bit in his skull ends the fight. Oh well! There goes another guy who serves as a momentary roadblock but with no effect on the greater narrative.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30