Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 14668 times)

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »

So they fixed the first boss penguin insurrection so that the ship can bash through blocks now. On the plus side, tougher stuff like obsidian (once again thank Minecraft for making us think of soft/breakable shit as being tougher than it is,) impedes it more than mud and snot.

So you can still cheese the fucker with an iron bow Space Invaders style. Still, I was down to damn near my last arrow loop when I crashed its ass. On to tier 2. Until the wipe, anyway.

Also, is there a proper server set up already? If I'm gonna restart I might as well do it among friends.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »

I've detailed the reasons for this at length in #finalfight but the very short answer is that there is no Starbound server on brontoforum.us, and will not be until we move to a new server.

If someone else can run something though, I'm down for playing.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »

I'll throw something up as soon as I get done patching. It will be running off of my computer though so I may have to drop it if it gets too hot.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »

tougher stuff like obsidian (once again thank Minecraft for making us think of soft/breakable shit as being tougher than it is,)

Well, to be fair, if you don't have metallurgical techniques (or if metal is in short supply) obsidian can be used to make extremely sharp edges that can cleave better than stone. Macuahuitl were pretty dangerous weapons even if their cutting edges were as brittle or more brittle than pig iron.

As a studio that makes beautiful, sometimes cutting, works of art that break if you look at them funny. Obsidian's name is maybe too apropos.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »

Starbound server info in #finalfight title. Also this is running off of my desktop so if its shitty I'm sorry. I have great internet connection though so it should be A-OK provided that I don't burn down a whole forest or something.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »

tougher stuff like obsidian (once again thank Minecraft for making us think of soft/breakable shit as being tougher than it is,)

... obsidian can be used to make extremely sharp edges that can cleave better than stone. Macuahuitl were pretty dangerous weapons even if their cutting edges were as brittle or more brittle than pig iron.

The funny thing is that in minecrafty sandboxes obsidian is somehow never used to make cutting tools. It's just always the rock that's hardest to chip through, which is kind of silly.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »

I'd guess they were taking a page from TES's "ebony" in that it's just some magical ore named after a suitably dark substance because black metal is totes brutal, dude.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2013, 02:13:46 AM »

I'd guess they were taking a page from TES's "ebony" in that it's just some magical ore named after a suitably dark substance because black metal is totes brutal, dude.

It's dolomite, baby!

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »

Snow planets are officially my favorite solely due to the high visibility of surface ores. Also, beautiful crystal globe trees that shatter into useless ice blocks when chopped down. Which I can't help doing anyway because fuck beauty.

Also, the weapon rebalancing seems to have rendered everything you find in chests or carried by vendors hilariously useless. Funny enough, the most powerful one I've found is "Poopwhacker," the aptly named craphammer, which takes all day to kill a level 1 critter, versus several days for anything else. I'm keeping it.

Guide so far:

1:  Kill trees, bury self.
2: Hit rocks, make tools, bed, etc.
3: Build fuckoff big underground farm. Make hamburgers or ethnic equivalent out of the flesh of all things that creepith upon Alpha Fuckandjive Minoris II a.
4: Scour surface and caves for basic crap, light every place, kill every mans. Make hamburgers, band aids.
5: Make insulating armor out of skins of every mans. Go to ice planet. Scour for easier to see everything. Smash pretty trees just cus.
6: Dig hellevator, get shinies from bottom of world. Ore spawning is fucked to your advantage. Go full Yukon Cornelius.
7: Build the distress beacon and everything else because fuck it, you've got way too much of everything all of a sudden. Why did you mine all those sewer pipes and shit? Like you're going to do something with those.
8: Build unnecessarily large space invaders arrow loop bunker, call penguin ship. Cheese to death with iron bow. Or don't bother because it's made of wet cardboard now.
9: ????

I'm actually kind of sad. Trying to bum rush the first boss with bullshit for kit made for a pretty epic fight a couple days ago.

Also, in praise of that ship mod, the very first thing I did was try to mine my ship. I've been waiting for a game that'd let me tinker and build my own Tardis or a Little Prince asteroid or giant cock with an outhouse on top or whatever to tour the universe. Here's hoping they get their heads out and just let this be a part of the thing.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »

Server IP is: 96.42.56.47

But when there is an update I will probably be at work until like 1 AM Central. So you guys will have to wait until I get home to fix it. Sorry :(

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2013, 08:52:08 PM »

I haven't changed planets since I created this character.  This is all from the first goddam planet.

Especially in comparison to the earlier version which expected you to burrow your way down to the molten core of every planet to get anything more valuable than silver, this one practically forces your jaw open and rams tonnes of ore right down your gullet.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2013, 11:27:41 AM »

Okay, to get to the third sector you need to make the robotic crafting table, which requires a processor to build. To get this processor you must build an entire robot from scratch, then battle it to the death, after which it drops the required processor. This is, again, a robot you just built, so presumably you put that processor in there yourself.

:hurr:

This might work storyline wise if your lonely explorer is all "I'mma build a robot Friday to do stuff for me," then the bot, equipped with a brain from a creature you murdered goes all killhappy, you smash it, and just say "to fuckery with it, I'll just make a worktable out of the bits."

Or if you're a Floran you built it deliberately for deathmatching.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »

this is a game where robot people subside on a diet of steak

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »

There's hella chemical energy in steak.

What's weird is that they eat robotic tomatoes too.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »

They need their robovitamins.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2013, 02:01:40 PM »

Hell, isn't this a game where you can play as a robot while mining a planet made entirely of meat?

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »

Meat? Hell, I got one that was brain ice cream.

I'm really going to miss the Land of Frost and Brains.

Also note that what you probably thought were cherry blossoms on that tree are also tiny brains.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »

Now that's what I call...

...brain freeze.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested