Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I Don't Think We Have a Superman Thread Yet  (Read 2135 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Think We Have a Superman Thread Yet
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 07:47:14 AM »

Thad only concedes an argument to someone that writes a post longer than his.

What if that post has Eiffel towers and/or butts in it?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »

Hell, even I use image block to tl;dr those kind of rebuttals.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »

Man of Steel was an interesting take on the character, but, I think, an unfinished one. It clearly sets Kal-El on a trajectory to become Superman, and he's almost there by the end, and all the ingredients are in place (it even explains why he doesn't kill: having done it once, he knows it's so painful to do, even when as justified as it can ever be, that he'd rather find any other way), but when two and a half hours of explosions conclude, he has only just become Clark Kent.

Let me explain what I mean by that. "Welcome to the Planet" is a good ending line because of the obvious double meaning: the alien Kal-El has accepted Earth as his home, and no longer feels alienated from Earth society. So I use his Earth name to refer to him after that point, and his Krypton name before then.

It has a lot of very bold plot beats, too. When Super-9/11 is happening in Metropolis and misguided American missiles are blowing up terrified civilians trapped in collapsing buildings, our hero saves the world by flying away and breaking apart a machine in the middle of the Indian Ocean where there's nobody around to see. That's a pretty heavy statement. An unfortunate consequence of that decision, however, is that there's a real shortage of shots of Superman conspicuously saving people, inspiring the hope that the not-an-S stands for, that sort of thing, and (even at the risk of turning it into Superman Returns-style hagiography) that's kind of the shot that you really want to see in a Superman movie. It's conspicuous in its absence.

This is a film about how Superman is terrifying. Which, y'know, he kind of is. Kal-El is afraid of the world but learns to have faith it, and it ends with him asking the world to overcome its fear of him in the same way. Perhaps it feels unfinished because at the end there still isn't a Superman who's a symbol of hope, or perhaps that's exactly the point about the nature of faith and proof.

I was expecting that Man of Steel 2 would finish the story, with Lex Luthor capitalizing on the fear of this alien and turning the world against him, to which he would respond by finally becoming Superman.... But that was before they announced it would be a Justice League movie instead. Now I'm not quite so optimistic.
...but is it art?

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 04:27:10 AM »

Chip Zdarsky Steve Murray, the Guy Who Talks to Applebee's On Facebook, wrote about how Thor is the new Superman. It's a quick, good read. Basically, the Thor (and Marvel movies) have focused on the fun, carefree superheroics that characterized early DC, while the DC movies have become increasingly darker in their bid to imitate early Marvel.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »

I had remarked earlier on the thematic contrast between cinematic Asgard and cinematic Krypton. The former feels a lot more like Silver Age comic Krypton. So there's something there, I think.
...but is it art?

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 02:59:11 AM »

Yeah, I think I'd prefer Wonder Woman to take that characterization because god knows she needs one that sticks. I'm ok with WW-happy, Batman-angry and Superman-sad.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 03:10:59 AM »

Except it's still Zack Snyder directing, so it will be WW-angry/sad, Batman-angry/sad, Superman-angry/sad.
Pages: 1 [2]