Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recipes which are delicious and cheap  (Read 2751 times)

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Recipes which are delicious and cheap
« on: June 06, 2008, 03:49:01 PM »

My lady and I live on a light budget but we really like food, so we've had to learn to cook. Let us share recipes in this thread so I can cook some more stuff. Keeping in spirit with the thread, ingredients should be on the relatively cheap side.

Pork Chops /w Gravy
2 Pork Chops - I used bone-in Sirloin (1 dollar/lb)
Olive Oil, enough to lightly coat bottom of pan
1 white onion (though yellow should do just fine)
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup of red or white cooking wine - sake or whatever else will work too.
Some milk, cream, or water
Salt to lightly cover chops
Pepper to lightly cover chops
Paprika to lightly cover chops (if you'd like)
Flour to lightly cover chops

Lightly coat a large frying pan (with a lid) with olive oil. Smash/mince garlic and toss in the olive oil. Heat pan on medium heat. Lightly salt and pepper pork chops (a pinch of paprika if you'd like as well) and dredge in flour. Brown pork chops in pan until flour has created a golden brown crust on both sides of the chops. (takes about four minutes per side) - while chops are browning chop one whole onion and throw it in with the chops mid-way through the cooking to lightly carmelize the onion. You just want a little color - after you get the onions slightly cooked pour in a quarter cup of preferred alcohol to deglaze the pan. Make sure you get the brown bits under the chops loosened up. Once chops are suitably browned pour in enough liquid to cover the porkchops just past half-way up the side. Bring water to boil. Once water is at a boil, turn burner down to low and cover. Simmer for 30-50 minutes or until tender and liquid has turned into a delicious gravy. move chops periodically during cooking process just to make sure they don't burn or stick to the pan. Serve chops with a dash of pan gravy and some mashed potatoes.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Recipes which are delicious and cheap
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 06:56:23 AM »

Seasoned Chicken Breast with Mushroom Risotto - Serves 2 for like 5 dollars jesus christ
For best results, you're going to want cast iron for this. Obviously, chicken might require adaptation with a different pan. This is some fancy shit and takes a while, but if you have a lady over you are going to get laid. If you are a lady you can probably make him watch a chick flick with you or something.

Ingredients

Chicken
1-2 chicken breasts (you can get these for very cheap frozen, one bag will have about six for 4-5 dollars) (costs about 50 cents-1 dollar)
Paprika, Salt, Pepper (to taste. Should already be in your cabinet.)
Cooking oil - Olive preferable, but you can use canola or peanut or vegetable oil if it's what you have/what you prefer

Risotto
2 cups chicken stock. (1-2 dollars. STOCK. Not broth. This is important!)
1/2 cup Arborio Rice (about 25-50 cents at most)
1/4 cup white wine (cooking wine works, it's about 2 dollars for a whole bottle. You're using like 10 cents worth)
1-2 tbsp of either butter, margarine or olive oil
1 Shallot or small onion (50 cents at most)
1 large portabello mushroom (Costs me 75 cents at albertsons)
1/2 container of shittake mushrooms (most expensive thing on here, about a buck fifty. You can substitute but these are delicious)
2 tbsp red wine (you can use white if you don't have both)
OPTIONAL
Fresh, dried, or paste basil. Whatever you've got. You can skip this if you don't have it, but basil is cheap. Add this in with the mushrooms at the end.
Garlic - If you really like garlic (I do) you can use it at every phase in the cooking. A clove with the mushrooms and a clove with the rice should be good.

Cube mushrooms so they're uniform, relatively small pieces, cut the onion/shallot into very small pieces, and cook in a pan with a small amount of preferred cooking oil. Note that it's going to look like you have ten times the amount of mushrooms and onions that you actually need - this is normal. The onions and mushroom will cook down very fast. Put a pinch of salt and pepper on - not a lot, mind you, as the risotto will also have salt and pepper in it. Just a pinch will do. After the mushrooms start to darken and the onions have gone slightly translucent add 2 tbsp red (or white) wine and cook it all in until the mushrooms have absorbed the liquid. Dump the mushrooms into a bowl and put it someplace warm and relatively safe from being knocked over.

Give the pan a quick cleaning and put 1-2tbsp of either butter or olive oil in the pan, and let the pan coat completely. Now add the arborio rice. (as a contrast to the mushrooms, this is going to look like WAY less than you need. Don't worry about it.) Stir the rice with the butter until the rice takes on a slight golden color, and add 1/4 cup of white wine. Stir with the rice until the rice has absorbed all the liquid. It will do this almost instantly. Now start adding the chicken stock 1/3 cup at a time. Let the rice absorb the stock almost completely, and add the next 1/3 cup. Keep this up, on low/medium heat, until all liquid has been absorbed. This takes an eternity. 30 minutes of stirring at least. It's worth the work, but don't walk away or you're going to end up ruining it.

Once you're half-way done with the last third cup of stock, dump in the mushrooms and stir until all liquid has been absorbed. Now, salt and pepper to taste. Set this aside on a fresh plate/bowl in the microwave. Clean your pan real quick and then take the chicken breasts. Rub some paprika, salt, and black pepper on. I like a lot of paprika, and relatively little salt - the chicken breasts usually look birght red before I throw them in the pan, but that's my preference. Heat up some cooking oil of some kind (olive oil is my favorite for this but canola/vegetable/whatever will do) and when the oil starts to shimmer, place the breasts into the pan. They should sizzle. (Does it fizzle? It muft!) Once you've done this, set your oven to Broil. Sear the chicken breast for about a minute on each side so the seasoning has created a very thin crust, then place the entire pan into the oven, top rack, directly under the broiler. Leave the door open, go mix a drink for you and your lady or whatever and then come back after 3-4 minutes, flip the chicken. Wait another 3-4 minutes, remove, and slice into strips. (this is for presentation purposes, really, but also helps you check to make sure the chicken is done if you don't have a thermometer.) Serve on top of/alongside the risotto.

The end result should be a beautiful and moist chicken breast alongside what looks like sickly rice a roni, but tastes like a ninja cookoff in your mouth. No, seriously though it's fucking awesome. This takes a damn long time to make but as far as meals for two go, it's cheap and incredibly satisfying. If you and your meal partner are on the heavier side (like I admittedly am) you'll probably want to double the recipe, but for two normal people this should be plenty filling.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »

Spaghetti

Ingredients:
Pan
Water
Spaghetti
Salt

Fill pan with water and add salt and spaghetti. Cook until soft. Serves whatever.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 07:21:31 PM »

Add whatever to taste.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »

Zara's Bean Soup

Ingredients:
Bag of beans

Purchase bag of beans. Realize you have absolutely no idea how to cook beans so look it up on the internet. Find out that cooking beans requires two days of marinating them in water and like an hour of cooking. Lose all gumption and just eat the leftover spaghetti.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »

I did something similar with a bag of rice.  I realize now that you require an insanely useful device known as a "rice cooker" if you don't want to, like, pay attention.  Which I don't.

Can of Beans

1 Can of Beans

Eat can of beans.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 07:43:03 PM »

TIP FOR THE BEGINNER CHEF:

Eat only the can's contents, not the can itself.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 07:47:47 PM »

if you're a lady

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:44:35 PM »

You could probably use a little more iron in your diet anyways.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »

I did something similar with a bag of rice.  I realize now that you require an insanely useful device known as a "rice cooker" if you don't want to, like, pay attention.  Which I don't.

if you happen to have the desire to eat rice ALL THE TIME however, a rice cooker and a fifteen pound bag of rice are tops.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 10:28:54 AM »

Bachelor Mini Pizzas

• One 'thing' of english muffins (The brand I get comes six in a paper tray, in a plastic bag).
  • Jar of some kind of tomato based, pizza-oriented sauce.
  • Shredded Cheese.
  • Some toppings, I just use pepperoni.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Split english muffins, place on a cookie sheet
Add sauce to muffin halves
Add cheese, toppings in the order you prefer.

Bake for roughly 12-15 minutes.  Wait for the cheese on the rim to turn brown.

The english muffins firm up superbly when done right, resulting in a great crisp flavor.  This stuff is cheap, makes 12, and serves 3-4 quite well, or makes a platter of snacks for a group.  Great D&D table food.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »

Zaratustra's Ultra Cheap Family-Style Meal

Ingredients:
Female friend

Get female friend to cook you a meal in exchange to fixing Flash Player on her computer.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »

Niku's Ultra Cheap Family-Style Meal

Ingredients:
Female friend

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »

Niku's Ultra Cheap Family-Style Meal

Ingredients:
Female friend
Gravy

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »

Yeah, seriously, DN, you just don't know anything about good vore.  Jesus.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 08:24:41 AM »

Nomnomnomnom Fried Rice Breakfast
Cooked rice, fresh if you like the end result moist and fluffy, old if you like it dry and crumbly
Half a white onion
Half a garlic bulb
Three eggs
Butter
Cooking oil
Soy sauce

Chop garlic and onion.  Scramble the eggs, take out of pan.  Fry the garlic and onion in the cooking oil, dump in the rice, dump in the eggs, dump in a pat of butter and some soy sauce for color and flavor.  Stirfry for a few minutes.  Eat delicious garlic butter fried rice.

(i have a new thing to make for breakfast now!)

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »

Kazz's Entire Diet

1. Grab whatever cheap food (macaroni, ramen noodles, unsatisfying frozen products) you already have on hand.  Prepare it normally.

2. Add tuna, or beans, or cheese, or cut up hot dogs, or barbecue sauce, or any combination of the above.

3. Consume.  (If you are not Kazz, feel free to consume reluctantly.)

McFrugal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 06:12:05 AM »

Gentlemen, I give to you...

BACON ICE CREAM

Quote from: Jes at http://www.whirled.com/#whirleds-t_1411

1000g milk
1000g cream
750g egg yolks
625g sugar
6 strips of cooked bacon

Method of procedure:
-Thoroughly cook bacon, keep warm.
-Bring milk and cream to a boil.
-Add bacon to the hot dairy.
-Cover and infuse for 4 hours.
-Strain out bacon.
-Bring baconed dairy back to a boil.
-Whisk yolk and sugar together.
-Temper hot dairy into yolks mixture.
-Pour back into the dairy.
-Cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon till it reaches
nappe (coats the spoon).
-Cool over an ice bath.
-Spin in an ice cream machine.

Cheapness may depend on how expensive milk and cream are where you live.  Also the bacon.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »

god damn it frugal i eat too much bacon already

i can't have bacon ice cream

no

no

noooooooooooo

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:MENDOZAAAAA: : MCFRUUUUUUUUGAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 05:54:38 PM »

Shinra, stop identifying with the wrong xkcd.
Pages: [1] 2