Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 75

Author Topic: Quotes  (Read 141856 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Quotes
« Reply #1100 on: June 12, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »

Perhaps Mr. Callum was not responding to Tyson, but to someone who was using Tyson's quote to defend religion's influence on public policy.

I s'pose that's a fair point -- and that, ironically, I'm making inferences based on a limited context rather than the full conversation.

That said, the difference is that I can't just quickly pull up a search engine and find the rest of the conversation to see the full context.  I don't have a Facebook account and, as Classic notes, even if I did this would take a bit of digging through a presumably longer thread.

If I'm wrong and he really WAS objecting to someone else's incorrect, out-of-context use of the Tyson quote, then yes Callum's off the hook and you can assume my ire is instead directed at whoever IS misrepresenting the actual meaning of Tyson's argument.

I guess I'm also a little confused by this. We know that the internet is populated by assholes, sure. But since they're on the same side and Callum is saying stuff that we'd assume NGT at least agrees with the sentiment of, why assume that he's making a criticism of NGT's comment rather than his own additions?

Well mainly it's that he seems more interested in snarking Tyson's two-sentence analogy than saying anything that's actually constructive.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: June 12, 2012, 02:11:08 PM »

Am I the only one who keeps reading NGT as "Neon Genesis Tyson"?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: June 12, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »

No. No you are not.

He seems more interested in snarking Tyson's two-sentence analogy than saying anything that's actually constructive.

I'm not sure which came first, but I heard a similar sports analogy without this context. So, I didn't see it as snarking the analogy so much as repeating the original purpose of the analogy (which itself is snarky), to defend the existence of atheist/agnostic groups from assertions of purposelessness from the religious that occasionally echo NGT's comment. (Also a good one, "Doesn't having groups to disprove God mean you believe in God?")

Seriously, the only reasons I didn't post exactly what Callum did was because I didn't want to have my disappointment at a possible disagreement of policy with NGT color a post to make it sound like I felt NGT had some kind of obligation to agree with me, and because I couldn't remember the litany of offenses verbatim.
I realize as I type that there's a third reason: Amongst people who have spent altogether too long reading the arguments and counterarguments for theism v. atheism (some of my kin visit a MegaChurch) it's a pretty tired analogy.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1103 on: June 12, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »

Am I the only one who keeps reading NGT as "Neon Genesis Tyson"?

...yeah, why are we saying "NGT", anyway?  It's "NDT".  Or "NdGT"?  I'm not sure how this works.

I'm not sure which came first, but I heard a similar sports analogy without this context. So, I didn't see it as snarking the analogy so much as repeating the original purpose of the analogy (which itself is snarky), to defend the existence of atheist/agnostic groups from assertions of purposelessness from the religious that occasionally echo NGT's comment. (Also a good one, "Doesn't having groups to disprove God mean you believe in God?")

Well, you can't really disprove the existence of God because you can't prove a negative.

And I continue to see the point along these lines: atheists getting together and talking about being atheists simply for its own sake is kinda weird; atheists getting together and talking about concrete policy is indistinguishable from empiricists getting together and talking about concrete policy.  Or should be.

There's a tangent here, too, about Freedom From Religion and similar groups.  I believe, absolutely, that we need to get fundamentalist nonsense out of public policy; I also believe that suing over the use of "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance is about the stupidest fucking place possible to put your energy toward that endeavor.  Hence the PETA comparison, maybe.

(Tangentially, I don't think "under God" should be in the Pledge, not because I'm worried it violates the Establishment Clause but because it is a McCarthy-era addition that wasn't IN the original Pledge.

And I think the Pledge is itself a creepy-as-fuck exercise in conformity and it gave me the heebie-jeebies even as a child -- but again, if you're pushing for social change it ranks near the bottom in terms of what actual priorities should be.)

Seriously, the only reasons I didn't post exactly what Callum did was because I didn't want to have my disappointment at a possible disagreement of policy with NGT color a post to make it sound like I felt NGT had some kind of obligation to agree with me, and because I couldn't remember the litany of offenses verbatim.

But I see no disagreement of policy whatsoever.

I realize as I type that there's a third reason: Amongst people who have spent altogether too long reading the arguments and counterarguments for theism v. atheism (some of my kin visit a MegaChurch) it's a pretty tired analogy.

Fair enough.  First time I've heard it, and presumably other people in the conversation too since they seemed pretty pleased with it, but if it's old hat to you then I can see that being annoying.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 12, 2012, 02:55:30 PM »

Two off-topics:
1. Leonardo da Vinci signed his works "LV".  I know he wasn't speaking English but I still assume that means the standard is to drop particles from names when initializing.

2. I actually really like the American Pledge of Allegiance.  Unlike most other nations it makes no mention of loyalty, servitude, or an agreement that the government is an unchallengable authority.  All you pledge is allegiance.  You are an ally of the flag, and it's inherently a two-way street.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: June 12, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »

Wait... that would be alliance.

Fuck.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: June 12, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »

Allegiance implies a liege, a term which has its origins in feudalism, IIRC.

Technically the Canadian head of state is the frikkin' Queen of England and I still never had to pledge allegiance to anyone. The US is maximum creepo.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 12, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »

Clearly it is time for a Glorious Loyalty Oath Campaign.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 12, 2012, 05:57:35 PM »

Today I walked around an abandoned and half-ruined semenary taking photos, and had a slightly awkward moment when I came across a nude model having her photo taken on the altar thingy.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 12, 2012, 06:19:23 PM »

Did that person mean seminary or cemetery? Either way, ha.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: June 16, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »

[18:32] <R^2> When I have children the first word I will teach them is "brains"
[18:32] <R^2> For a while I will have an adorable little toddlerzombie stomping around my house.
[18:36] <Caithness> is that really how it works?
[18:36] <Caithness> children aren't like birds
[18:36] <Doomykins> Yeah! Birds are smarter.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 16, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »

[02:58] <Stush> Titty Tit Nipple
[02:58] <Elfin> titty tit nipple
[02:58] <Stush> Boob Breast

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 19, 2012, 12:04:25 PM »

Are kids forced to say the Pledge? I mean like if a Kid very obviously isn't saying it and the teacher notices and goes full retard with punishment and the kid's parents decide to cash in on 15 minutes of fame and tell the media does it make national news and the supreme court has to make a ruling or something?

Has this actually come up before?

I looked around but I can't find a definitive answer: Are kids legally obligated to say the pledge? Or can they not stand, not give a fuck, if they choose?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 19, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »

This has been challenged before, but it depends on state law. As far as I know, in most cases, recitation of the Pledge is explicitly not compulsory. Sometimes schools try to require it anyway, and usually get away with it, often 'cause nobody involved knows the legal status of the matter.

Most legal challenges to it have been based on the inclusion of the "under God" clause, but Wikipedia lists two successful challenges to compulsory recitation: in 2006's Frazier vs. Alexandre, a 1942 Florida law permitting compulsory recitation was ruled unconstitutional; and in Maryland in 2009, a teacher was reprimanded for requiring recitation when both state law and school policy affirm the right to refuse to say it.
...but is it art?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 19, 2012, 01:50:03 PM »

Well, hey, that's unusually sensible. I have officially upgraded the US to not-quite-maximum creepo. Someone notify your president, I'm busy.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 21, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »

<Lee-Ham> FF7 was a lot more experimental in many ways than 6
<Roger> And worse translated.
<maou> sic transit woolsey
<@Friday> Yeah, like when Cloud gets gang raped by a bunch of burly muscle men
<Lee-Ham> exactly
<maou> the debug/cut data for that whole sequence is fucking weird
<@Friday> How many other games have your main hero dressing up as a girl
<Lee-Ham> yeah there was a ton more stuff in the Honey Bee that ended up getting cut
<maou> like that you could get Cloud a pair of Marlene's panties at some point
<@Romosome> wh
<@Romosome> what?
<@Friday> hahahahaha
<@Romosome> isn't marlene like
<@Romosome> the little girl
<@Friday> maou are you serious
<@Romosome> they wouldn't fit!

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 22, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »

<+Esperath> They can suffer from a variety of health issues, including overheating, obesity, pharyngeal reflex and two fatal conditions which are necrotizing meningoencephalitis and hemivertebrae.
[02:11:27am -7] <+Esperath> necrotizing meningoencephalitis is like the most evil sounding disease
[02:11:32am -7] <@Romosome> yes seriously what the fuck
[02:11:34am -7] <@Romosome> that's not real
[02:11:35am -7] <@Romosome> they just
[02:11:40am -7] <@Romosome> crammed together three other lethal diseases
[02:12:00am -7] <@Friday> necrotizing meningoencezergrush
[02:12:07am -7] <@Romosome> necrotizing meningoencephalococcus carcinokemia rape
[02:13:32am -7] <+Esperath> necrotizing meningoencephalococcus carcinokemia rape holocaust agent orange
[02:13:47am -7] <+Utsuho> necrotizing meningoencephalococcus carcinokemia rape culture holocaust agent orange
[02:13:59am -7] <@Friday> necrotizing meningoencephalococcus carcinokemia rape culture holocaust agent orange air bud
[02:14:13am -7] <+Utsuho> necrotizing meningoencephalococcus carcinokemia rape culture holocaust agent orange air buds vs Werewolves

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 27, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »

It may just be an urban legend, but there's a story going around about people in Manhattan having someone cover their eyes and say "guess who?" And when they turn around it's Bill Murray.

He says "no one will ever believe you" and walks away.

When confronted with this story in a GQ article, he didn't confirm the story is true. But in true Murray fashion, he didn't deny it either.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 27, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »

There's been a number of reports of Bill Murray doing things like that. I can't find the one I want to link here, when he showed up unannounced to a random stranger's birthday party and hung around for a few hours. It had pictures, too.

Either he's gone senile or he is hit that same point George Takei has, where you spend the twilight years of your life being the biggest goof-off you couldn't be earlier because everyone had cameras on you 24/7

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 27, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »

He did once do karaoke with Christopher Hastings, though.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 75