Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 75

Author Topic: Quotes  (Read 141873 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes
« Reply #1080 on: May 30, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »

(10:26:54 PM) Mothra: Farewelllll......
(10:26:57 PM) Mothra left the room.
(10:27:15 PM) Kuddy: !manlyname
(10:27:16 PM) Aoko: BLAST SLAMCHEESE
(10:27:22 PM) StushGone: Off into the sunset

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 05, 2012, 04:55:07 PM »

[19:56] <@Romosome> fuck
[19:56] <@Romosome> I missed the transit of venus
[19:56] <@Romosome> :|
[19:56] <+Ridley> That sucks.
[19:56] <+Ridley> I missed it too.
[20:09] <+Kazz> transit of venus?
[20:09] <+Kazz> you missed your period?

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 08, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »

<@Romosome> oh my god
<@Romosome> finally someone important said this shit
<@Romosome> http://imgur.com/gallery/ezU5F
<@Romosome> THANK you
<Xerox> agolfist
<Lorbobam> class act
<Lorbobam> I used to think agnostic was a wishy-washy position, but then I realised that the atheist club has a way douchier membership
<myew> Then why don't you tell my boy here vince, where you got me in that position.
<@Romosome> I don't see "Agnostic" as "I can't decide" personally
<@Romosome> I see it as "I don't fucking care, stop talking to me"
<@Romosome> maybe a new term is in order
<Lorbobam> yeah that's a better way to look at it
<@Romosome> I'm not agnostic I'm Whogivesafuckist
<Lorbobam> apathetism
<@Romosome> yes

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1083 on: June 08, 2012, 03:22:51 PM »

Har.  Perfect.

I tend to self-identify as agnostic or humanist mostly for precision-of-language purposes -- the absence of God is unprovable because you can't prove a negative; my lack of belief is not the same thing as a belief in a lack.  (Similarly, I don't have a problem with people believing in God, but I DO have a problem with people disbelieving science.)

But functionally my belief/unbelief system is identical to my friends' who self-identify as atheists.

Also, judging atheism by its douchiest, most evangelical practitioners makes about as much sense as, well, judging ANYTHING by its douchiest, most evangelical practitioners.

Tangentially: the moment I decided my now-fiancee was a keeper was when she excitedly sent me a photo of herself with Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 08, 2012, 03:38:07 PM »

Fundamentalists have done a pretty good job of redefining the term "agnostic" over the decades.  Originally it referred to the idea that maybe we shouldn't put so much stake in ideas that are not or cannot be backed up with empirical evidence, which is not the same as not believing in them.  Literally, it's an argument for separation of belief and behavior, which is a much, much more dangerous idea than simple atheism.

Modern usage of the word, especially in technical contexts, is often misinterpreted as not caring but is still more accurately "not letting it determine one's ultimate decisions".  Hardware-agnostic software, for example, will perform the same functions regardless of hardware, but may still use a profile of the available hardware for various purposes (usually optimizations).

tl;dr agnosticism is not a religion.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 10, 2012, 01:53:03 PM »

Overheard at work:

"You know the movie where the guy wakes up and his house is full of guns he didn't buy. It stars that dude from Transformers... uh... whatzizname, Chez Buffoon."

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 10, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »

<@Romosome> oh my god
<@Romosome> THANK you
<Xerox> agolfist
<Lorbobam> class act
<Lorbobam> I used to think agnostic was a wishy-washy position, but then I realised that the atheist club has a way douchier membership
<myew> Then why don't you tell my boy here vince, where you got me in that position.
<Lorbobam> apathetism
<@Romosome> yes

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #1087 on: June 10, 2012, 03:15:23 PM »

I can't gather around and talk about how much everybody in the room doesn't see the point of My Little Pony

oh wait

I can

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1088 on: June 10, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »

My biggest fucking problem with the bit in the middle is that it is clearly written by someone who has no fucking idea who Neil DeGrasse Tyson is.

Could you please explain to whoever this Callum person is that NGT IS in fact one of the most active people in the goddamn country at trying to get people interested in science, and in speaking out against the pernicious influence of superstition in setting public policy?  And that, besides his Nova ScienceNow hosting duties, he is slated to host the upcoming Cosmos revival?

And then punch him in the stomach for me and explain what fucking Wikipedia is.

This is really a pretty good example of the type of people who give atheists a bad name: the sort of touchy little shit who jumps all over NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON, of all people, and pisses and moans about how he just doesn't understand, instead of maybe spending a minute (a) doing a bit of research and (b) determining the proper direction to point his outrage in.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: June 10, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »

<@Romosome> oh my god
<@Romosome> THANK you
<Xerox> agolfist
<Lorbobam> class act
<Lorbobam> apathetism
<@Romosome> yes

Fun fact: I have been referring to myself as an apathetic atheist for something like five years now. I've never mentioned it here before because... well... fuck it.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: June 11, 2012, 08:36:21 AM »

touchy little shit who jumps all over NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON

Thad, I like NGT too. But he's not some kind of perfect saint or super-sage. He doesn't have to be right about everything to say stuff that's important or true, and he's not right if he means to imply that groups meant to support a discriminated against minority are inherently wrong or pointless. I assume (because I like him) that he's just explaining why he does not work with local "atheist activist" groups, which in New York seem to be more interested in PETA-style shock-jockeying than protecting people from protecting people from discrimination.

Speaking of PETA, MovieBob really hates them and explains why in this Big Picture episode. I don't care enough about PETA to fact check any of the scandals he brings up. I didn't have positive opinions of them to start, so I assume the the work NGT did with them was a risque nude shoot.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: June 11, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »

Speaking of PETA, MovieBob really hates them and explains why in this Big Picture episode.

a broken clock is right twice a day

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: June 11, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »

Tyson kind of took his message off-point with that golf analogy, and the response was way-too-unpolitely calling him out for it.  Basically the problems are:

1. Not believing in golf is not the same as not playing golf.
2. If people who didn't play golf were being targeted by golfers for harrasment, it would be inappropriate to say the distinction doesn't exist.

None of that shit has anything to do with what Tyson actually believes or was trying to say, but he fucked that argument up and needs to reword it, basically.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: June 11, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »

Man... I thought that guy was actually agreeing with Tyson.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1094 on: June 11, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »

Thad, I like NGT too. But he's not some kind of perfect saint or super-sage. He doesn't have to be right about everything to say stuff that's important or true, and he's not right if he means to imply that groups meant to support a discriminated against minority are inherently wrong or pointless.

:strawman:

Tyson kind of took his message off-point with that golf analogy, and the response was way-too-unpolitely calling him out for it.  Basically the problems are:

1. Not believing in golf is not the same as not playing golf.
2. If people who didn't play golf were being targeted by golfers for harrasment, it would be inappropriate to say the distinction doesn't exist.

None of that shit has anything to do with what Tyson actually believes or was trying to say, but he fucked that argument up and needs to reword it, basically.

That depends entirely on the actual context of his remarks.  To the Googlemobile!

Oh hey, here's a transcript.  Going to quote it in its entirety and hope the fine folks at thinknow don't think that's out of line.

Neil deGrasse Tyson: I'm often asked – and occasionally in an accusatory way – “Are you atheist?”  And it’s like, you know, the only “ist” I am is a scientist, all right?  I don’t associate with movements.  I'm not an “ism.”  I just  - I think for myself.  The moment when someone attaches to a philosophy or a movement, then they assign all the baggage and all the rest of the philosophy that goes with it to you, and when you want to have a conversation they will assert that they already know everything important there is to know about you because of that association.  And that’s not the way to have a conversation.  I'm sorry.  It’s not.  I’d rather we explore each other’s ideas in real time rather than assign a label to it and assert, you know, what’s going to happen in advance.

So what people are really after is, what is my stance on religion or spirituality or God?  And I would say, if I find a word that came closest it would be agnostic.  Agnostic – the word dates from the 19th century – Huxley – to refer to someone who doesn’t know but hasn’t yet really seen evidence for it but is prepared to embrace the evidence if it’s there but if it’s not won’t be forced to have to think something that is not otherwise supported.

There are many atheists who say, “Well, all agnostics are atheists.”  Okay.  I'm constantly claimed by atheists.  I find this intriguing.  In fact, on my Wiki page – I didn’t create the Wiki page, others did, and I'm flattered that people cared enough about my life to assemble it – and it said, “Neil deGrasse is an atheist.”  I said, “Well that’s not really true.”  I said, “Neil deGrasse is an agnostic.”  I went back a week later.  It said, “Neil deGrasse is an atheist.” – again within a week – and I said, “What’s up with that?” and I said, “I have to word it a little differently.”  So I said, okay, “Neil deGrasse, widely claimed by atheists, is actually an agnostic.”

And some will say, well, that’s – "You’re not being fair to the fact that they’re actually the same thing."  No, they’re not the same thing, and I'll tell you why.  Atheists I know who proudly wear the badge are active atheists.  They’re like in your face atheist and they want to change policies and they’re having debates.  I don’t have the time, the interest, the energy to do any of that.  I'm a scientist.  I'm an educator.  My goal is to get people thinking straight in the first place, just get you to be curious about the natural world.  That’s what I'm about.  I'm not about any of the rest of this. 

And it’s odd that the word atheist even exists.  I don’t play golf.  Is there a word for non-golf players?  Do non-golf players gather and strategize?  Do non-skiers have a word and come together and talk about the fact that they don’t ski?  I don’t—I can’t do that.  I can’t gather around and talk about how much everybody in the room doesn’t believe in God.  I just don’t—I don’t have the energy for that, and so I . . . Agnostic separates me from the conduct of atheists whether or not there is strong overlap between the two categories, and at the end of the day I’d rather not be any category at all.

I stand by my assertion that taking a laser-focus on a single analogy out of the general context of his words misses his point entirely.

Particularly if people use it as a way to jump his shit and treat him as The Enemy when in fact he's pretty much the best fucking friend politically-active atheists HAVE.

I mean, I love Dawkins.  He's a fantastic biologist, a fantastic writer, and a charming and witty guy.  He's also the worst fucking ambassador atheists could ask for (now that Hitchens is dead).

And, you know, part of that is that Dawkins is from England, where agnosticism is practically the state religion.  It's okay to publish a book called The God Delusion there, not just because that is an awesome title but because it's not going to offend the general population into automatically hating it and you without bothering to read a single sentence of it.

Tyson, by contrast, is not negative, and doesn't emphasize the negative, the things he doesn't believe in.  It's not "I don't believe in God", it's "I love science."

Look, I can relate to being smug and condescending and pointing out when I think people who don't agree with me are stupid -- I just called Shinra a twat for comparing muscles to tits not ten minutes ago.

But I'm not trying to win Shinra over, and I sure as hell won't by talking to him like that.

Tyson's the guy who, instead of tearing belief systems down, is building empiricism up.  (Not to say that Dawkins doesn't build empiricism up, but he kinda does both.)  He shares the common goal of wanting to destroy an entrenched power structure based on superstition and nonsense (in fact, if you watch him on Bill Maher or in any of his other political appearances he really drops the cool exterior and shows how upset he is at the current political climate); it's just that his strategy is to do everything in his power to make the general populace more knowledgeable.

That's the big picture.  Jumping all the fuck over TWO SENTENCES out-of-context is about as small-picture as it gets.  And Not Helping.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: June 11, 2012, 08:51:27 PM »

Okay, well, take that entire paragraph and post it as an image macro on reddit, and then we'll talk.  Until then, the quote that keeps getting repeated is the context, and you should be screaming at the person who took (pieces of) it out in the first place.  Tyson's detractors aren't the ones not helping Tyson.

EDIT: Wait a sec...

he's pretty much the best fucking friend politically-active atheists HAVE.

Okay, in this context, does "atheist" mean "non-theist" or "nonthe-ist"?  Because this distinction is important.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 11, 2012, 09:04:01 PM »

I stand by my assertion that taking a laser-focus on a single analogy out of the general context of his words misses his point entirely.
I'm not sure you actually asserted this. Mostly, it seemed like you were asserting this:
This is really a pretty good example of the type of people who give atheists a bad name
Which is ironic given that you're calling the dude a "touchy little shit" while describing violence against him (yeah, I have weird, internally inconsistent rules for what discussions of violence are unpleasant). NGT does not derive authority from any source that demands he be inerrant. You can still like and support NGT on the whole and not agree with all of his claims, career choices, or political strategies.
I'm not sure the objections raised by "Callum" (except maybe the holy war one) have been overstated. Nor do I think NGT is going to disagree with those sentiments or repeating them again.
We also probably shouldn't be forwarding an inaccurate link between atheism, empiricism and superstition. Atheism isn't a promoter of empiricism nor an obstacle to superstition. That NGT promotes empiricism doesn't necessarily mean he's in any way a friend to atheists, especially the "worst kind" of atheists who you seem to take special offense to.

As antagonistic as Dawkins is, altogether too many proponents of superstition are bluster-filled bullies like Bill O'Rielly. And unfortunately, sometimes the best strategy really is to mercilessly demolish someone. No one is going to sway O'Rielly from his horrible opinions.

I have come to believe that part of Dawkin's mission is just to get people talking about atheism and its claims. Dawkins isn't interested in explaining careful reasoning on TV, that's what his book is for. He's interesting in kicking up enough shit that people talk about it and at least buy his book. The assumption here, of course, is that upon inspection people will prefer or tend to "religious" sentiments that make fewer unsubstantiated (or provably false) claims.

Maybe we should split into a thread called "Aperture Activism" or something.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1097 on: June 12, 2012, 09:35:31 AM »

Okay, well, take that entire paragraph and post it as an image macro on reddit, and then we'll talk.  Until then, the quote that keeps getting repeated is the context, and you should be screaming at the person who took (pieces of) it out in the first place.

I'm not exempting whoever made the image macro.

But if we're to assign blame, it goes something like this:

Tyson -> Should reasonably be aware that absolutely anything he says will be taken out of context and turned into an Internet meme.

Guy who made the macro -> Should reasonably be aware that his out-of-context quote will be seen by idiots who have no idea who Dr. Tyson is, who will then say stupid shit based on the limited context provided to them.

Guy who said the stupid shit -> Should have fucking hit Ctrl-K and typed "neil degrasse tyson" into the search box BEFORE going off on some stupid half-cocked rant about two sentences out of his entire career.

I'll grant there's blame to go around.  But, characteristically, I am inclined to set most of it at the feet of the dipstick who couldn't be arsed to spend five minutes reading a Wikipedia article before publicly and angrily asserting his ignorance.

Tyson's detractors aren't the ones not helping Tyson.

Of course they fucking are.  In what way are they helping?

he's pretty much the best fucking friend politically-active atheists HAVE.

Okay, in this context, does "atheist" mean "non-theist" or "nonthe-ist"?  Because this distinction is important.

I think the phrase "politically-active" implies people who are pretty vocal in the "God does not exist" camp; that's what I meant to imply, anyway.  But I'm not sure that it matters; I think what I said applies to both groups.  NGT is out there, exerting all the influence he can, to fight the influence of religious dogma on public policy.  That's good for people who disbelieve the existence of God as well as people who don't believe in the existence of God, as well as plenty of other demographics who believe in God but do not subscribe to the particular brand of narrow Christianity that is responsible for the various negative types of public policy we're talking about.

I'm not sure you actually asserted this.

I believe that I did:

Could you please explain to whoever this Callum person is that NGT IS in fact one of the most active people in the goddamn country at trying to get people interested in science, and in speaking out against the pernicious influence of superstition in setting public policy?  And that, besides his Nova ScienceNow hosting duties, he is slated to host the upcoming Cosmos revival?

And then punch him in the stomach for me and explain what fucking Wikipedia is.

This is really a pretty good example of the type of people who give atheists a bad name: the sort of touchy little shit who jumps all over NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON, of all people, and pisses and moans about how he just doesn't understand, instead of maybe spending a minute (a) doing a bit of research and (b) determining the proper direction to point his outrage in.

Mostly, it seemed like you were asserting this:
This is really a pretty good example of the type of people who give atheists a bad name
Which is ironic given that you're calling the dude a "touchy little shit" while describing violence against him (yeah, I have weird, internally inconsistent rules for what discussions of violence are unpleasant).

No, what's ironic is that you're taking two hyperbolic sentences out of my post and missing the rest of it.

Yes, there's a line about punching somebody in the stomach -- I hope it was clear that I am not ACTUALLY advocating punching anyone in the stomach.

But no, my point as a whole was that somebody went off half-cocked about somebody he clearly doesn't know anything about, and I think that's fairly clear from reading my post in its entirety.

NGT does not derive authority from any source that demands he be inerrant. You can still like and support NGT on the whole and not agree with all of his claims, career choices, or political strategies.

Covered in PM.  Of course I agree with this; I'd be an idiot not to.

My point is not some ridiculous assertion that NGT, or anyone else, is infallible.  My point, once again, is that anyone who believes NGT does not actually understand the pernicious influence that religious organizations have in determining public policy is ignorant, and his time would be better served becoming less ignorant than proudly and vocally demonstrating his ignorance.

I'm not sure the objections raised by "Callum" (except maybe the holy war one) have been overstated. Nor do I think NGT is going to disagree with those sentiments or repeating them again.

Well, and that's my point: they're on the same damn side and Callum should have held his damn horses.

We also probably shouldn't be forwarding an inaccurate link between atheism, empiricism and superstition. Atheism isn't a promoter of empiricism nor an obstacle to superstition. That NGT promotes empiricism doesn't necessarily mean he's in any way a friend to atheists, especially the "worst kind" of atheists who you seem to take special offense to.

Technically true and an interesting point.  Which may indeed be part of why Tyson drew the distinction he drew -- empiricists and atheists may have overlap (as do atheists and agnostics), but they're not the same thing.

As antagonistic as Dawkins is, altogether too many proponents of superstition are bluster-filled bullies like Bill O'Rielly. And unfortunately, sometimes the best strategy really is to mercilessly demolish someone. No one is going to sway O'Rielly from his horrible opinions.

Well, yes, since we're talking about people who preach to the choir, I don't think you'll find a bigger proponent of the "Sometimes people can't be reasoned with and someone just needs to point out that they're dumbasses" school than myself.

Maybe we should split into a thread called "Aperture Activism" or something.

I'd definitely say a threadsplit's in order; I'll see about getting to it later if nobody else does first.  My break's about over and I'm still playing catchup.

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 12, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »

Perhaps Mr. Callum was not responding to Tyson, but to someone who was using Tyson's quote to defend religion's influence on public policy.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 12, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »

Perhaps Mr. Callum was not responding to Tyson, but to someone who was using Tyson's quote to defend religion's influence on public policy.
I'm not interested in braving a facebook thread to determine if this is the case either.

... and that's my point: they're on the same damn side and Callum should have held his damn horses.

I guess I'm also a little confused by this. We know that the internet is populated by assholes, sure. But since they're on the same side and Callum is saying stuff that we'd assume NGT at least agrees with the sentiment of, why assume that he's making a criticism of NGT's comment rather than his own additions?

If we're going to assume (altogether too generously, I admit) that he did read up on NGT and where that quote was mined from, he'd know that NGT probably wants to distance himself from that style of combative comment.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 75