Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

This is not a question.

Yes.
- 5 (7%)
No.
- 1 (1.4%)
I am pro choice
- 4 (5.6%)
That's stupid.
- 5 (7%)
leave this answer blank
- 9 (12.7%)
Are you literite in English?
- 3 (4.2%)
Y
- 1 (1.4%)
N
- 1 (1.4%)
B
- 4 (5.6%)
Are you a US citizen?
- 1 (1.4%)
SERIUOS DEBAET
- 4 (5.6%)
lol fag
- 2 (2.8%)
lol breeder
- 4 (5.6%)
lol is a picture of a man signaling a TD
- 3 (4.2%)
LOCK THIS THREAD
- 9 (12.7%)
trollbait
- 2 (2.8%)
Option 17
- 7 (9.9%)
i fought the law and the law won
- 4 (5.6%)
Not quickly enough.
- 2 (2.8%)
pork
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Guild's a dumbass! [NSFW]  (Read 4097 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Guild's a dumbass! [NSFW]
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »

You know, I was about to ask the rhetorical question of whether there is anything in the world more annoying than a first-year psych student who goes around labeling people.

But then you reminded me: one who changes the subject when someone points out why his labels are wrong.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 02:08:23 PM »

You know... by, the criteria posted by Guild, technically I could be categorized into this so-called 'high-context' thingummy.

Yet, oddly enough, I can still read and communicate on the internet without gross misunderstandings (most of the time) because I have a basic grasp of the notion that written messages =/= IRL spoken conversations.

HOW INEFFABLY BIZARRE.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »

Well I'm also a hugely arrogant jerk, so there it is.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »

Well, Guild, while part of me wants to continue the conversation, the truth of the matter is you've accused me of reacting angrily (false), locking the thread (false; I merged it into a locked thread and then immediately unlocked it), and then there was that completely gratuitous bit about "treating you like my girlfriend".

You want to know why people treat you like a child?  Because you act like one.  You whine like one, you throw temper tantrums like one, and you make off-base accusations like one.

You can kiss my ass.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 03:05:37 PM »

He's an admitted troll.  You really oughtn't encourage him past what's reasonably funny.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 03:06:21 PM »

Alright. There's really only one thing I get mad about, and that's threadlocks. It's really pointless imo.

Sorry for the accusation and the tantrum.

Today's checklist:

X Troll Thad
/  Beat both campaigns in Warcraft II
   Situps and pushups
X Win arguement on the internet

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »

He's an admitted troll.  You really oughtn't encourage him past what's reasonably funny.

Well, that's kind of the idea.  I thought it was reasonably funny up until his little temper-tantrum edit up there.  Now it's not, so I'm done playing.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 04:36:26 PM »

Is he banned yet?

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 05:19:58 PM »

He might yet reset and fall back within range of reasonably funny.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »

Is he banned yet?

I somehow think that banning Guild would not stop him from annoying us, even if it was just because of SoraCross-esque ban evasion.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 09:50:31 PM »

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 11:08:50 PM »

Fuck, I don't play where I'm not wanted... if people really want me gone, fine.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »

so rather than take the Kazz route
Fuck, I don't play where I'm not wanted... if people really want me gone, fine.

:wheeeee:

All right, in seriousness, though:

Sorry for the accusation and the tantrum.

I DO appreciate the apology.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 11:37:08 AM »

All right, going to have a look at this one:

Is he banned yet?

Presumably you're joking, but just to take the question at face value, there are three reasons off the top of my head why Guild isn't banned.

One: Take a look at this comment.

Your gravitas with the masses of pyoko attracts people to your way of thinking. I don't mind it mostly, since I'm only here for like three people's posts, but once in a while when your ego inflates like this I like to egg you on. I've been told by many people in secret that they find it hilarious.

Now, leaving aside Guild's and my obvious difference of opinion about which one of us is sitting back and laughing while the other one works himself into a frothing rage, I think we can go all HIGH-CONTEXT here and assume Guild's talking about somebody in particular.  And I can only think of one guy who's expressed a similar sentiment on the forum recently.  (But hey, Guild, if I'm wrong and you really ARE just talking about a bunch of people who hide behind your skirts rather than state their opinions publicly, please feel free to correct me as I have something to say about that.)

Two: I don't like banning people.  I don't even like locking threads (case in point).  I've never even given SoraCross worse than a temporary posting ban.  Guild hasn't done anything I actually see as ban-worthy.

Three: ...argh, okay, I hate to do this.  I really hate to break kayfabe.  But apparently some people need to be reminded of this, and maybe that includes Guild and me too.

You're not likely to see me ban Guild because Guild's my friend.

This is a game we're playing.  We both derive some satisfaction from it, and that's why we keep doing it.  (I'm a little baffled that Guild doesn't seem to get that and that he accuses ME of being an easily-manipulable powderkeg even as he himself blows up over an imagined slight, but...there it is.)

That's not to say one or the other or both of us can't get carried away with it sometimes.  And when it's no longer fun, that's the point we should take a step back and quit doing it.  Like yesterday when Guild got all pissed off and I told him we were done.  (Or, as Brent put it, quit when it's not funny anymore.)

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: I should add that just because I like Guild and see this as a game doesn't mean I'm just bullshitting here.  I DO want him to start behaving himself on Real World, and I AM going to continue calling bullshit when he uses sophomoric psychobabble to defend his love of making his posts a pain in the ass to read.  (Yeah, yeah, Guild, you can keep crying "I'M JUST HIGH-CONCEPT!  I'M JUST HIGH-CONCEPT!"  But you'll pardon me if I think it sounds insincere from inside a code tag nested in a quote tag.)

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I watched a movie!
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 11:26:08 AM »

And hey, kudos on using "infer" correctly, but I'm still baffled by your use of "context".

"High context" means he makes up what you meant, then disagrees with it.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 11:44:15 AM »

Actually, I think it means he writes incoherent posts and then acts like it's your fault you can't understand them.

(actually it's both)

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »

A simpler solution:
I used bullshit in the conversational sense.

When two people who prefer to use a high-bullshit conversation format talk to each other they will both dance around the point always, neither ever quite stating the point, each expecting the other to follow unspoken elements of the conversation as a matter of course. I'm only like 2/3 high-bullshit, but I am strongly in this half of the ballpark.

Here is a high-bullshit conversation in bold, with a more low-bullshit version in parenthesis, and bracketed commentary for clarification on the differences between them:

"My cousin is coming over." (I am excited about my cousin visiting.)
[in high bullshit, the excitement should be read from body language or more importantly simply inferred by the fact that the person mentioned the event at all*]

"Oh, I am very happy for you." (Really? What's the occasion?)
[in either case, these are ways to say "tell me more,' but direct questions are rude in HB]

"We always have a good time." (It's just a visit. Don't fill your head with unnecessary details, dude.)
[the first is not necessarily a conversation closer, however it IS a way of pointedly not continuing the conversation: telling someone to drop a subject would be rude in HB]

Japan is very HB. They call U. S. Americans rude for being direct, while our culture considers indirectness to be rude.

I learned that I was high-bullshit after studying cultural differences for a semester in college. Fascinating subject, and very enlightening. I learned that there's really no such thing as rudeness, but there ARE people to be avoided for their embarassing or hard to deal with style of communication. Brentai is high-bullshit and to a degree so is Sharkey. (you are not high-bullshit at all, Thad) [did you see what i did there]

Man, that was difficult to explain! (please inform me whether I got the point across or not)

*in high bullshit conversations smalltalk is replaced with a comfortable silence (in low bullshit silence is mistaken for stupidity or agreement)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »

STOP MAKING FUN OF HIM SEI

HE IS AN EXPERT ON PSYCHOLOGY IN SOME WAY HE CANNOT QUANTIFY

JUST LIKE PICASSO

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 10:19:03 PM »

Guild is the Picasso of Internet trolling?

I can see his posts secretly being some sort of avant-garde experiment, or at least that's what he would claim.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"
Pages: 1 [2] 3