Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 50

Author Topic: New Doctor Who  (Read 53323 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #300 on: April 17, 2010, 08:16:44 PM »

...so...next week's episode looks pretty good, huh?

River?  The Weeping Angels?

Good times.

Also, in the preview for next week, the Doctor greets the blonde lady seen in the previous previews with [spoiler]"River?"[/spoiler]

Um, yeah.  That's because she's Alex Kingston.  She just has blond hair.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 17, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »

I'm just saying.  It's not the first time one actress has played multiple characters.  What's more significant is his calling her that.

Verde

• Wicked pissah
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 18, 2010, 02:13:51 AM »

Well, that was the obvious worst episode so far. I don't think it was all bad; there was a sense of "let's just get this out of the way" that seemed to open the door for some fun fanservice. You know, like [spoiler]Daleks bringing people cups of tea[/spoiler].

I like that the setting riffed on the fact that the Daleks are often compared to Nazis by the (WW2 obsessed) British press. It's such a perfect match that I was sure Daleks and World War 2 must've already been done together, but now I come to think of it I don't think they have. I'm sure someone whose interest in Old Who extends beyond "I sometimes watched it as a child" will be able to confirm either way.

Anyway, let's hope those cracks have nothing to do with there being any more fucking Daleks for the rest of the season. Bring on River Song and weeping angels!

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2010, 08:06:16 AM »

The cracks are obviously the result of Davros and the Time Lord High Council working together in an effort to break the time lock and free both the Time Lords and the Daleks so they can gleefully destroy everything again.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 18, 2010, 08:27:11 AM »

Also, the theory that Amy is a result of the cracks is reinforced in this episode.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 18, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »

Or the theory that she's from a time before the Earth was stolen.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #306 on: April 18, 2010, 09:24:03 AM »

Again, the Millennial Dome would seem to rule that out.

Given the huge emphasis on Amy not knowing something she should know, I don't think the solution is going to turn out to be "the Doctor doesn't know what year it was when he grabbed her."

Although that WOULD be kind of hilarious.

Trailer for the adventure game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wQXgNXOxKA&feature=player_embedded

...so okay, we'll be seeing more damn Daleks.  But hopefully only in the game.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 18, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »

I'm as tired of Daleks as the next man, but I think it's pretty clear that the primary color crew will be returning within the season.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 18, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »

[spoiler]technicolor daleks[/spoiler] ::(:

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 18, 2010, 03:13:13 PM »

I _liked_ the technicolor Daleks, personally. Kind of goes along with the very mid-century vibe the art direction has been trying very, very hard to capture.

But before we get on to tearing this one apart, I couldn't help pointing out that, much as it had its problems, I'm really impressed with the Beast Below. Mostly on account of it serving as a handy, prime time-friendly retelling of The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas. Don't often get to see that kind of solid morality play stuff dealt out to an audience of children over the course of an hour. Deserves a serious slap on the back, I think.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 18, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »

I don't know if I'm sold on the BRAND! NEW! SUMMER LINEUP! DALEKS just yet, but I like the voices (just unsettling enough without getting corny) and the general way they came about. I think the bronze, chrome, and army daleks looked cooler, but that was largely because it really drove home a sense of weight and implied strength which was also the reason I liked the new Cybermen design.

This was a fun episode, I thought. Probably technically the worst so far but still enjoyable for the most part.

The bomb-in-chest thing was kind of eehhh though, but I'd have to agree with Constantine that beyond the occasional bad call on CG, the look of this season's pretty rad. I like that his viewscreen is actually a portion of the wall he leans over a rail to talk to.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 18, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »

OH GOD I FORGOT THE GIANT VIEW SCREEN.

If there is anything that is the single best element of this season, it's that the new TARDIS has a giant fucking views creen in it.  The Doctor could start eating babies and sell all the space whales to the Nazis, but as long as he has that view screen all is forgiven.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #312 on: April 19, 2010, 08:36:37 PM »

Rusty gets his mitts on #11, in a Sarah Jane two-parter.  And Jo's going to be in it.

Now, Jo jibes with Rusty's "let's bring back everything, ever" approach, but not his established "All the Doctor's companions wind up twisted and sad" narrative.  Because Jo fell in love with a hippie scientist and ran off with him.  It would be nice to see her have a quick back-and-forth with Sarah Jane to the effect that no you don't have to be lonely your whole life just because you ran around with the Doctor, but given that this is the younger-audiences show he'll probably just ignore all that.  Or maybe he'll retcon in some horrifying fate for Jo's husband.

It IS, of course, interesting that Jo was SJ's immediate predecessor.

BleedingCool says the Brigadier's in there somewhere too, but keep in mind it's a tabloid site.  (Also note that "one photo" link is NSFW.)  Would be nice to see ol' Brig again, and I LOVED his last appearance on Sarah Jane, but he's like ninety or something and doesn't always appear as scheduled.  He was supposed to be in the Tom Baker audio drama last fall but wasn't in good enough health so they used somebody else from the UNIT era instead.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 20, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #314 on: April 20, 2010, 10:12:16 PM »

...on the SJ ep: I think it bears noting once again how much I liked her reaction when #10 showed up on his Farewell Tour: everyone else seemed pretty bummed out (except Jack, who got lucky), but she smiled; she's already known three incarnations of the Doctor and she'll be excited to meet another.

Jo hasn't witnessed a regeneration like Sarah Jane has, but she was in The Three Doctors, so it's not a foreign concept to her.  #11 is a whole lot different from #3, though.

(Also, I looked Nicholas Courtney up and he's "only" 80, not 90.  My grandma's age.  Hoping he can make it aboard.)

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 21, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »

I kind of want to watch this thing, but on the other hand SJ is a boring show.

Verde

• Wicked pissah
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 22, 2010, 03:58:45 AM »

I'm probably the last person in the world to hear about this, but the adventure games are made by Sumo Digital and sound like they might not be terrible (Guardian article).

Verde

• Wicked pissah
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 24, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »

Okay. That was awesome. How could the weeping angels be scarier? [spoiler]Put them in pitch black and have any statue at all possibly be one.[/spoiler] [spoiler]And then EVERY statue.[/spoiler] Yeah.

Can't wait for next week. Until then I am obsessively watching episodes of old Doctor Who because SHIT GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 24, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »

oh god it's happening

verde this is a dark path down which you venture

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested