Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 50

Author Topic: New Doctor Who  (Read 53841 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #320 on: April 24, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »

Oh wow, best episode of the season so far.  The energy between River Song and the Doctor is excellent, and his wordplay is masterful.  Makes callbacks to Blink and the Library episodes, as well as [spoiler]The Ring[/spoiler].

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 24, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »

This was very very good

Also whoa, guess River's from two or three regenerations down the line then, huh?

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 24, 2010, 06:05:36 PM »

I pooped a little.

Keen observers will notice that her diary is quite a bit slimmer in this episode.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 24, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »

Keen observers will notice that her diary is quite a bit slimmer in this episode.

:jizz:
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 25, 2010, 02:37:11 AM »

This was very very good

Also whoa, guess River's from two or three regenerations down the line then, huh?

She clearly knows many regenerations personally, but which one is the one who earns his complete trust (and probably marries him) is unclear. I like the idea of a cheat sheet to keep them all in order.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #325 on: April 25, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »

Maybe.  Suggestion seems to be that she's known at least one more version of the Doctor.  (The reference to having pictures of all his regenerations could include earlier versions who she's never met.)  It DOES seem clear that she doesn't know the ORDER of the regenerations -- which explains why she asked #10 if they'd done the crash of the Byzantium yet even though it's #11 she's doing it with.

At any rate, she doesn't know how much the Doctor knows about her.  There's the exchange where they suggest he doesn't know who she is -- maybe he does and she doesn't know it, or maybe whatever knowing his name suggests is only part of the story.

...also, the Doctor's reference to facing the Angels a long time ago supports the theory that a whole lot of time passes between season 4 and the specials.  It's almost certain that he's run into River offscreen at some point in there.

Anyway, very good; everybody really firing on all cylinders on this one.  Fucking wonderful banter, the Angels as scary as ever (and with new powers that are a surprise but never feel like a cheat), and the mystery of River deepens.  This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking forward to seeing in this season.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 25, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »

I like the new twist on the dead speaking from beyond the grave in this one with Angel Bob. Sort of a callback to the Library two-parter, and creepy as shit. The way he glibly states that he didn't get away, and the way the angel communicates through his personality is just bone chilling.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »

Okay. That was awesome. How could the weeping angels be scarier? Can't wait for next week. Until then I am obsessively watching episodes of old Doctor Who because SHIT GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

If you have any favorites we haven't talked about in the Old Who thread yet, post 'em up there.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #328 on: April 30, 2010, 06:09:07 AM »

CRACKPOT THEORY TIME

What if River knows the Doctor's name...because he died and she was in his will?

It fits the dialogue.  "The only time I would tell anybody...the only time I COULD is if I..." -- "Shh.  Spoilers."

Now yes, she has an account of their last meeting together that doesn't say anything about him dying afterward, but...what if he died BEFORE?  Seeing as they keep running into each other out of sequence, she could be there when he died and then still see him many times afterward.

Biggest flaw in my theory, of course, is that the Doctor isn't going to die.  Even hinting at it happening at some point in the future, hinting that the Doctor's story has an end, is counter to the spirit Moffat's going for.  (He mentioned in one of the interviews I linked that he's got a solution for the regeneration limit -- doesn't seem like something you do if you've got a death penciled in.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #329 on: May 01, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »

Oh-HO.

I was close, wasn't I?

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 01, 2010, 08:50:47 PM »

Curiouser and curiouser. Oh Moffat, you card.

Liked the twist of threat in the middle there. There was really not reasonable way for them to get away from that many Angels until that happened.

Also, in the season preview trailer, we see the Doctor running from Angels using a mirror to see in front and behind himself at the same time. This did not happen. Will there be more Angels in our future?

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 02, 2010, 09:51:40 AM »

I think I liked the angels A LOT more when they were a one-shot. This 2 parter is sweet but all the angel inconsistencies are bothering me a lot.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #332 on: May 02, 2010, 03:01:26 PM »

See, I don't think it was inconsistent.  Yeah, we see more Angel powers in the new two-parter, but none of them really contradict what we saw in the first one.  I don't really think there's a "Well why didn't they do that before?" moment.  We didn't see them leap out of a TV screen or photo before because nobody filmed or photographed them before; likewise, there were perfectly good explanations for the changes in their appearance (cut off from their power source and slowly dying) and behavior (manipulating emotions, either to make their prey more prone to making mistakes or simply out of sadism).  I guess maybe "nobody looked them in the eye before" is a bit of a stretch.

Also, in the season preview trailer, we see the Doctor running from Angels using a mirror to see in front and behind himself at the same time. This did not happen. Will there be more Angels in our future?

It would also turn his mirror into an Angel.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 02, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »

Only until he broke it, and he's careful enough not to look it in the eye.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #334 on: May 02, 2010, 08:33:31 PM »

Breaking a mirror doesn't actually prevent it from showing an image.

In fact, it makes it show the image several more times.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 02, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »

I'm not sure that a reflected image of an angel would be the same as a stored image of an angel, such as with a picture or a film clip, or even the imprint that was put into Amy. A mirror just reflects light, it doesn't record it, or save it in any way, so I don't think the angel would be able to impart its essence upon it in the same way that it would in those other cases. The only danger would be looking into its eyes, which is a danger no matter what you do.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 02, 2010, 08:59:23 PM »

those things didn't bother me so much as the angels sending people back into time thing just going away entirely and now they absorb generic "energy".

Also there were definitely security cameras and such in that parking lot that would've captured images of the first angels etc.

Finally, it seems like this swarm of angels is constantly in positions where they are seeing one another which you'd think would be really messing them up, since even a glance mid-step would presumably cause one to fall right over unbalanced.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 02, 2010, 09:31:46 PM »

Yeah, the angels seeing one another was definitely over looked.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #338 on: May 02, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »

those things didn't bother me so much as the angels sending people back into time thing just going away entirely and now they absorb generic "energy".

They send people back in time TO absorb their energy.  You live your complete life and they steal that energy from you when you die.  Actually jibes quite nicely with the energy source of the crack, which itself destroys people's history so that they never existed.

The fact that they don't send anybody back in time in THIS version is explained in dialogue: they're weakened and desperate.

Also there were definitely security cameras and such in that parking lot that would've captured images of the first angels etc.

Meaning in Blink?  Maybe.  I'd have to watch it again.

Blink never really suggested the Angels had been defeated anyway -- other than the four who surrounded the TARDIS.  In fact it ended with a pretty clear foreboding that there could still be any number of them, anywhere.

Finally, it seems like this swarm of angels is constantly in positions where they are seeing one another which you'd think would be really messing them up, since even a glance mid-step would presumably cause one to fall right over unbalanced.

I'd have to freeze-frame, but I'd bet they were very carefully posed so that they're never actually looking at one another.  As for how they can move around each other without looking, that'd be a pretty simple explanation; they have some other way of sensing each other's presence.  They would have to, if they were going to function as a group.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2010, 12:17:19 AM »

Also, the whole angel headlock thing was kind of cool if not for the fact that, hell, nobody in that situation should be blinking. They do. A bunch.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 50