Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 50

Author Topic: New Doctor Who  (Read 53831 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #380 on: June 05, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »

The first adventure game is available, but, like the streaming episodes, the download page is region-locked.  So if you want the game, pretty much get it however you get the episodes.

(Hell, given that the game's a free download, you're doing the Beeb's servers a favor if you torrent it even if you're in the UK.)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2010, 09:50:51 AM »

Generally speaking, my least favorite episodes of Doctor Who are those where The Doctor and his current companion have an adventure with some historical figure. They're usually corny and terrible. That said, I really enjoyed this latest episode. There aren't any earth-shattering spoilers in this one, I didn't even see any cracks, but it still manages to be very good. There are a few good callbacks to recent events, but other than that it's more or less stand alone in nature.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 06, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »

I liked how I thought the ending was a little too overdone until I realized it was the director of Love, Actually and then it all made sense.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2010, 01:29:48 PM »

The first adventure game is available, but, like the streaming episodes, the download page is region-locked.  So if you want the game, pretty much get it however you get the episodes.

Even if you net the installer, it checks your IP there as well. Looks like I need a pair of proxy pants.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #384 on: June 07, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »

Oh uh and be careful, guys, as apparently a bunch of people are bundling malware with it (or pretending to be it).

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #385 on: June 10, 2010, 09:53:05 PM »

Morning Spoilers posts hints on The Lodger, quoting SFX.

A certain face shows up for the fourth time this series; another for a third; and others for a second time

As the io9 writer comments, that's almost certainly the preceding 10 Doctors; we've seen Hartnell three times, Troughton twice, and the rest once.

While I think the io9 guy's theory that it's building toward a Four Doctors crossover is farfetched (and, in fairness, he seems to think so too), it DOES seem like the previous incarnations bit has been repeated often enough that it's gone from being a fun bit of fan service to Probably Important.  Plus, we've got River Song knowing all the Doctor's past selves, the Doctor fighting himself, a piece of the TARDIS on the other side of the crack, and River being all set to kill him -- yeah, I think regeneration/legacy/identity/self are going to be very important themes in the finale.

(And while I think it's still too early in Smith's run for a Big Doctor Team-Up Story -- ESPECIALLY one with Tennant, who hasn't been out of the role for SIX MONTHS yet -- this COULD all potentially lay groundwork for one a few years down the road.  Fiftieth anniversary is in 2013...)

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 12, 2010, 04:47:37 PM »

Stewart's expression at 1:20 is made of SOLID GOLD TESTICLES.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2010, 08:36:48 PM »

Holy shit, were those [spoiler]OG Cybermen in the teaser for next week?[/spoiler].

As for this episode, solid, but clearly filler.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #389 on: June 13, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »

As for this episode, solid, but clearly filler.

Which describes most anything with Gareth Roberts's name on it, really.  He puts out solid, dependable work that's consistent but not stellar.

That said, this might be the single best season in the history of Doctor Who.  I'd rank Smith, at this point, as good but not as good as his predecessors (that could change; Tennant had 4 years to perfect the role) -- somewhere in the middle -- but this season has been consistently good.  I mean, the low points are, what, Daleks and Wind Fish?  Which were still perfectly decent.  There hasn't been a bad episode in the bunch.

Of course, Moffat could pull a Davies and crash and burn in the finale.  But somehow I doubt it.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 14, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »

This was probably the funniest episode in a long while. The scenes of the Doctor trying to be normal and just failing miserably are fantastic, and occasionally laugh out loud funny. I think Smith is being elevated by good writing, whereas Tennant elevated mostly mediocre writing.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #391 on: June 14, 2010, 07:33:22 PM »

I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 14, 2010, 09:02:46 PM »

Oh god, loved this episode. One of my favorites!

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #393 on: June 14, 2010, 09:45:42 PM »

Well, I'm finally caught up. I absolutely adored Tennant as the doctor, but Smith has grown on me faster than I could've imagined. I agree with Thad: Smith's not my favorite Doctor yet, but this series has such a high quality level it's kind of incredible.

It's... hard not being able to binge anymore. :(

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #394 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:51 PM »

That's what Netflix is for.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 15, 2010, 09:57:47 PM »

One of you briefly increase the rate of linear time so we can get the next episode. Fuck.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 15, 2010, 11:32:04 PM »

Is this how time usually passes?  Really, really slowly?  In the right order?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #397 on: June 19, 2010, 10:35:41 PM »

I would have sex with Steven Moffat.  It wouldn't even be gay.  It would just be, you know, respect.

A fairly non-spoilery observation: It is now clear that, when Moffat said he was going to focus on new monsters instead of bringing back old ones, he was telling a half-truth at best.  We should probably take all his "I'm not going to do any multi-Doctor episodes (probably)" protestations with a similar grain of salt.

Fiftieth anniversary is in 3 years.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 20, 2010, 01:09:07 AM »

So, was that a two parter, or a season ending cliffhanger, because that is some "I am Locutus of Borg" shit right there if it's the latter.

Steven Moffat showing how a finale ought to be done in either case. [spoiler]Everything and everyone in the worst possible position but you don't know it until the very end and the suspense just builds and builds over the course of the episode until it all comes together and your head blows off.[/spoiler]

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #399 on: June 20, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »

There's one more.

Yeah, very good job of getting all the pieces in place -- not just in this episode but doing a tour of the entire season to show how it all fits together.  I DO think it was a bit of Idiot Ball that the Doctor didn't realize [spoiler]he was the most dangerous thing in the universe, especially after Amy's Choice[/spoiler].  Also, I don't think we'll be seeing the payoff of [spoiler]River killing the Doctor[/spoiler], as [spoiler]she was already in prison at the beginning of the episode[/spoiler].  So that's one major piece of foreshadowing that I think will move into the next season.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 50