Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 50

Author Topic: New Doctor Who  (Read 53327 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #760 on: April 19, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »

Moffat's been building toward it since season four, actually.

Yes, we knew it was coming.  But we didn't know when.  Indeed, I'd have assumed next season.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 20, 2013, 03:43:18 AM »

Same here, as we discussed earlier in the thread, I thought this season would be entirely about the "Who Is Clara?" arc that is currently going.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #762 on: April 22, 2013, 01:28:47 AM »

Although in hindsight I can see how the two questions might dovetail nicely together.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 23, 2013, 02:12:48 AM »

Loved everything about Hide. Great, great episode.

Next week's looks awesome, too.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 23, 2013, 05:25:28 AM »

Liked just about everything about it save for [spoiler]the lingering shot of the monster near the end. I realize they were changing the tone from "creepy" to "sympathetic," but its head looks like a toe.[/spoiler]

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #765 on: April 24, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »

Speculation on the Doctor's name.  I don't really go out on any limbs.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 24, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »

We haven't seen any Omega clue this season, have we?

(on phone. spoiler if you think it should be but commentary on speculation we had pages ago doesn't seem to dangerous)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 24, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »

Liked just about everything about it save for [spoiler]the lingering shot of the monster near the end. I realize they were changing the tone from "creepy" to "sympathetic," but its head looks like a toe.[/spoiler]

It was definitely seeing too much on the monster, yeah. Seemed magnitudes less creepy when we got that good look at it.

They should have just shown The Doctor looking at it, with that shot of the camera over its shoulder, then had him deliver his "Romeo" line. Really, if there's a weakness to Hide, it's the thrown-in monster subplot. There probably could've been a way to do it without the monster at all, using instead the ghost for scares.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #768 on: April 25, 2013, 02:31:19 AM »

I don't think so, but we haven't seen the Clerics or the Silence either.

Yeah, I think my post DOES kinda cut off abruptly there and I probably meant to point out that they sure keep alluding to Omega and if the Doctor DOES turn out to be one of the three founding Time Lords it only makes sense that another of the three be present in the story.

Hell, even if he's NOT one of the three founders, we know his original purpose for being on Earth in 1963 was to hide an artifact called the Hand of Omega.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #769 on: April 25, 2013, 03:38:35 PM »

In part 2, I fumble around Wikipedia and discover something that is either a major clue or a coincidence that is so awesome that the ultimate resolution will probably be a disappointment by comparison.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #770 on: April 26, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »

In part 3 I form a theory that the Doctor's name has the secrets of time travel somehow encoded in it and that's why nobody's supposed to know it.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 26, 2013, 03:42:23 PM »

I watched the first episode today and I forgot that the first new doctor looks like jason statham.

Edit: Okay nevermind started the second episode he doesn't look like jason statham.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #772 on: April 26, 2013, 04:50:05 PM »

Well, maybe a little.  Shaved head, thick jaw, footballer's build, leather jacket optional.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #773 on: April 27, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »

I don't think so

And then BAM, exploding star right up in our faces.

Also: can't help but noticing the words "silence" and "library" keep cropping up.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 27, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »

Loved this last one, but mostly for the incidentals. You know, the "holy shit swimming pool for three seconds finally" and a bunch of other pretty cool stuff as compared to the last few decades worth of rare Tardis-interior shows. We actually get to see a bit of of the thing's innards for once, beyond running through the exact same barren corridor set over and over. Though there was still a fair share of that, with the obligatory lampshade. Bonus points for the weeping willow full of what I'm going to have to call Tardfruit (DO NOT PICK THE TARDFRUIT*.) Really, this is the most we've seen of the thing since a little bit of "hey, they added some clothes racks to the console room and called it a wardrobe," or Baker's cloister and aux. console room.

*Meme just waiting to happen for srsly.

Nice little side plot... but really, they could have done anything to flesh out the supporting characters. Maybe just a throwaway line about how that eye-and-brain wrecking accident had something to do with the Androzani or the Blorgons or whateverthefuck. Flashback to dad and relevant sibling rivalry? I'd take anything to tie them into the universe here, or even establish some new mythology. They exist in a vacuum otherwise. Guys in jumpsuits who I utterly fail to give half a fuck about. Other than the fact that this shit's obviously going to be the brother rule 3X Combo.

And hey, did that Tardisfucker bomb that got thrown through a crack in time resolve that huge "why did the Tardis blow up for no adequately explored reason" thing from a couble seasons ago? Because I really thought it might have gone there, what with the pretty familiar crack and all... but... nope. Unless you want to pretend some shit happened where it didn't. It'd be so damn neat and pat I really want to believe it, but apparently it just wiped out everything significant and revelatory that happened today. Straight up Voyager shit here, yo.

Just joshing. Nothing significant or revelatory ever happened on Voyager.

... and on the list of inane disappointments, I kept reading Clara's handbrand as "816 FR13NDLY 80770M" and expected River to show up.

Also, rewatched last week's and I'm still pretty annoyed that the Tardis has a bunch of cables running out of it to power the psychic hat thing and its weirdly mispronounced crystal. Maybe the emphasis in the middle of Metebelis is the Time Lord equivalent of "your anus" and he just wants to gloss over that now. But they just say fuckit about the lady's psychic pain hat being attached by cables and the Tardis flying around somewhere else for a while. Eat shit, continuity.

Anyway, I think I might rewatch Warrior's Gate after this one. Not sure why. Don't think I've seen it since I was a wee sharkling catching this shit beside my obliviously stoned father, but there's defenitely a thematic similarity.

So... silver medal on this one, but much as I like "The monsters were you all along," it's not like it's hard to guess when there're a grand total of two characters with tits, one of whom isn't an actual character and there are well established time shenanigans happening. And there's a huge vacuum of explanation here. So... you guys turned into contagious red-eyed crackly-skinned corridor-scratching time zombies... fucking why? Who cares. We've gotta have a monster, and that shit'll do.

You can do an awful lot with a monster-of-the-week story, and that's pretty much the only way it's been. But holy hell, so much more could be done with this if it'd just shake off the formula once in a while. Yes, it's a kid's show, but really, "reverse Scooby Doo" wears thin even with children. Especially when it fails to make any damn sense most of the time.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 27, 2013, 08:12:50 PM »

What if there was a secret so terrible that it must never be revealed, and what if that secret was known only to one man, and also was written down in a book about every single secret and terrible thing that happened during the worst war ever. Like seriously even one page of this thing in the wrong hands could end worlds. And what if that book was on a plinth in the same dude's library with a really ornate cover and obvious title?

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 27, 2013, 08:16:36 PM »

And what if that happened to be the relevant information that some chick just happened to flip the thing open to, out of however many hundred pages, while fleeing from her evil inexplicable timemonster self? Man, what are the odds? Shit, she could have at least done that "hold a book by its spine so it falls open to its most read page" thing. That would have been kind of smart and cool.

Also, there are unstoppered, easily spilled bottles of liquid encyclopedia that... do nothing? I'd like to think they'd come back to that, but given that there are still central plot points from years-old season finales that have never come close to resolution... It's like this show is actively trying to annoy my shit right out.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 27, 2013, 08:41:26 PM »

Also, whatever happened to the ever-so-goddamn-important Tardfruit? Wait, did that fall down a hole? With those guys? Is that what made the time zombies? Oh, just fuck right off.

4/5 Delta and the Bannermens

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 27, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »

Of course, it's entirely possible that all of that was generated in part or in whole by the TARDIS herself upon his request for a library, since the TARDIS knows all of that shit, and The Doctor, who has been demonstrably surprised by shit in his own TARDIS on numerous occasions, doesn't actually know about it.

I'm not too bothered by her flipping to hs name immediately, since he was one of the generals, sometimes implied to have been of even higher rank, during the Time War, and if the book records him by his true name, then it is probably on a lot of pages.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 27, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »

Yeah, it just could have been done with way the hell more style. Though it all has zero consequence anyway, unless she gets to retain that shit because she spilled Adam all over herself a second later. Yeah, that's probably where that was going. If it was going anywhere, which it probably wasn't.

Also, fuck if I'm not annoyed that bastard is wearing vests and rolled sleeves now. Have to throw out half my wardrobe or look like a cosplayer. Again. Was bad enough being mistaken for Lupin at at that one con with Silver. First the fucking chucks and pinstripes, now this. Half tempted to stomp around in scuba gear and a feather boa just to see the bastard wearing that shit next year.

Maybe I'll just go back to houndstooth and turtlenecks. Goddammit. Stay the fuck away from motorcycle boots, you rat raped son of a bitch. Goddamn things are expensive.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 50