Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 50

Author Topic: New Doctor Who  (Read 53865 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2008, 04:09:03 PM »

Russell T Davies, executive producer, said: "I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years - and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano. But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching."

::(:

EDIT:
I'm absolutely sure this is a sign that they're trying to convince him to do some new stories.  Now's the perfect time: he's taking a break from his superhero books (except Batman) and working on personal projects, and of course we're in a Who drought until 2010 (the three movies notwithstanding).  The rumors even have it that Moffat's going to leave a 1000-year gap in the Doctor's timeline between series 4 and 5; there's a whole lot Morrison could do with that.  (I read an interview with him awhile back where he mentioned he's a fan of the current series; he said he preferred Human Nature/Family of Blood to Blink because of its focus on the Doctor's characterization.)

In an MTV interview, Morrison dismisses the idea of doing more Who comics, but says he'd love to write some TV episodes and has a movie idea he'd like to pitch.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano. But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, by dropping an entire bridge on him. "

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2008, 04:56:01 PM »

Come on Nesbitt, come on Nesbitt.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2008, 08:12:28 PM »

Can you be typecast as the Doctor when you're already typecast as somebody else British?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »

Digital Spy has a good rundown of potential Eleventh Doctors.  Nesbitt's on the list, as are Jekyll antagonist Paterson Joseph, Serenity villain Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Jon Pertwee's son Sean.

Moffat allegedly said that the next Doctor should be "40-plus and weird-looking", which I take as a hint toward Nesbitt, but the source for that quote appears to be the Sun, so it could be bullshit.

I'm also seeing a lot of buzz about Colin Salmon as a potential pick, but again, British tabloids, grain of salt, yadda yadda.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2008, 12:53:06 AM »

Missed this when it happened, but Moffat did a panel at Comic Con:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P_cT9Nt5ic

Audio's awful and I can't understand a word anyone says, but Whedonopolis has a summary.

Highlights:

Another audience member had previously asked Neil Gaiman whether he was going to write for Doctor Who. Neil had replied that it would be nice and that she should ask Steven. Steven replied that Neil Gaiman writing for Doctor Who would in fact be "nice," but wouldn't confirm or deny whether it was happening.

I'd say "Signs point to yes"; people aren't usually this cagey when the answer is "no".

And some points on River Song (which were actually what I was looking for when I found this):

Another person wanted to know what it was like writing character with a future history like River Song in the "Silence in the Library" / "The Forest of the Dead" two-parter and whether there was pressure to bring her back. Steven thought she was interesting for throwing in references to untold stories like how Russel references the Time War every now and again. Since we know the Doctor will see River again, Steven thinks that the Doctor may "sneak out of the TARDIS late one night with champagne and a corsage and possibly his toothbrush." He then advised the audience to never accidentally drop your toothbrush on a first date because you just look way too hopeful and "there's no way out of that!"

[...]

The next guy wanted to know if River Song recognized the Tenth Doctor or if she could recognize the Doctor in a different regeneration. Steven said that the way he saw it, she has met the Tenth Doctor "but that's not the only Doctor she's met."

I like the "Time War" idea, that she might be alluded to mysteriously but that her story will never be fully told -- but that the door's still open for her to show up again.

Also, first two minutes of the Christmas special:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb1ilNJ2L7Q

That's this year's Children in Need Special.  (Yeah, that whole Seven Doctors thing definitely sounded too good to be true.)

Anyway, it's a good hook and I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.  My hunch is that there's going to be a twist and that's not the real Eleventh Doctor.  I think they're going to keep us guessing right up until the regeneration.

Smart money says we don't get a straight answer in this one and the Next Doctor turns out to be a Doctor from a potential future that may or may not come to pass.  Predictable as shit and keeps just yanking us along; sounds like an RTD plot to me.

If I were writing it, he'd turn out to be a robot.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2008, 02:31:04 PM »

Comics: I finally decided, fuck it, I'm taking a pair of scissors to that Doctor Who #4 I've had sitting around with the stuck-together pages so I can at least read the damn thing.  Finished that and #5 and #6.  Not bad, not great; #2 and #3 were probably the high point of that mini.

The Forgotten is a couple issues farther along now.  #3 featured little Fourth and Fifth Doctor stories, centered around the subject of misdirection.  The Baker Doctor's story was suitably fun, and the Davison Doctor's story was interesting mostly for invoking current Doctor continuity (the antagonists are the Judoon, and the Doctor refers to the Shadow Proclamation).  Also, Turlough.

#4, titled Survival, features a story each about the Sixth and Seventh Doctor (and gets more self-referential with the timeline, with the Sixth quipping that he hopes he doesn't end up in a courtroom again anytime soon), but, beyond that, features a twist that finally establishes when this story takes place -- sort of.  [spoiler]Early on, the Doctor recognizes the phrase "You've got something on your back" and wonders where he's heard it before -- at first this led me to wonder if the bug in Turn Left was a ref to a classic ep, but no, the end of the issue makes it clear that this story actually takes place AFTER season 4 -- or, to be precise, in an alternate version of season 3 where the timeline's been altered because of something that happened after season 4.[/spoiler]  How the Master figures into this is still up in the air, but we'll know soon enough -- #5 will feature the Eighth and Ninth Doctor, and I believe #6 will be the last issue.

Anyway, it's been a decent miniseries but I get the feeling that, like its predecessor, it peaked early -- and IMO the art takes a hit every time someone else takes over from Pia Guerra.  Still, #4's ending had a satisfying twist, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in #5; the Eighth Doctor's practically a blank slate for me since I never listened to any of the radio shows, and I love the Ninth.  Not bad, and it's made for a good Doctor Who fix during the months the show's been off (and moreso now that [spoiler]we know it takes place sometime after last season's finale[/spoiler]).

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2008, 08:20:26 PM »

Decided to check out the Sarah Jane season finale because it featured the return of Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.  It wasn't as bad as that time I watched Torchwood because Martha was in it!

The story was easy enough to follow; it was heavy on continuity but the backstory was explained quickly.  The plot was straightforward and predictable, and the characters mostly interchangeable.

Courtney was the highlight; he chewed the scenery in all the right ways, relishing every deadpan line and facial expression.  He's the reason I checked it out, and I wasn't disappointed.

Ep 2 ran out of gas in a hurry.  There was some good development on the UNIT/Sontaran arc from the latest season of Who, but from there it just went into standard trying-to-take-over-the-universe "You're not my mom, Sarah Jane is!" stuff.  It wasn't nearly the spectacular crash-and-burn that the Who finale was, though I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing; laughably bad is more fun than simply blah.

All in all, not bad.  Not good enough for me to watch the series on a regular basis, but good enough that I'll watch it if it gets any other interesting guest stars.  And while I'm definitely in the "don't just use continuity for its own sake" crowd, I'd really like to see Brig show up in the regular series at some point.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »

So I just found out that my mom's been a Dr Who fan for YEARS now.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2008, 12:55:29 AM »

Bravo doctor, bravo

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2008, 06:12:34 PM »

The good:
The visuals.  In particular, the [spoiler]Iron Giant Cyberking[/spoiler].

The bad:
More of the same from RTD.  Memory loss, big bad/human hybridization, Doctor warns bad guys before killing them, everybody thanks the Doctor, Doctor is sad and lonely and misses his companions.

The :?::
[spoiler]What were the Cybermen doing with records of all ten Doctors?  Unless I totally misunderstood all that Void/Time Vortex stuff, these are the parallel universe Cybermen, who shouldn't know anything about the first nine Doctors.  So where did that information come from?[/spoiler]

Could just be a plothole, but I'm guessing it's significant.  Possible answer: [spoiler]the Cyberapes were our universe's Cybermen.[/spoiler]

(EDIT 2: the Doctor Who Wiki conjectures that [spoiler]the Cybermen stole the data from the Daleks[/spoiler].)

EDIT: Looking back at my predictions:

My hunch is that there's going to be a twist and that's not the real Eleventh Doctor.  I think they're going to keep us guessing right up until the regeneration.

[spoiler]Right on the money.[/spoiler]

Smart money says we don't get a straight answer in this one and the Next Doctor turns out to be a Doctor from a potential future that may or may not come to pass.  Predictable as shit and keeps just yanking us along; sounds like an RTD plot to me.

[spoiler]Nope!  The story is clearly resolved and self-contained.  Score one for Rusty.[/spoiler]

If I were writing it, he'd turn out to be a robot.

[spoiler]I didn't, and he didn't.  But there WAS an awesome giant robot.[/spoiler]

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2008, 12:18:44 AM »

...also, I missed this the other week -- Tony Lee posts an image of all ten Doctors from The Forgotten #6.

I'm not as excited about it as the forumgoers there, because 1) yeah, no shit that was going to happen, and 2) the art honestly leaves a lot to be desired.  I don't think that's Pia Guerra's work.  The faces all seem lopsided (which could be the inker's fault rather than the penciler's) and the proportions seem off -- most of them don't seem thick enough, #9 in particular, and #4 should be the tallest guy in the room (though sticking him next to #2 at least makes for good contrast).

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2009, 11:30:28 AM »

New Doctor announced tomorrow.

Incidentally, I'm all caught up, working my way through Torchwood (not fantastic, but I don't think it's so terrible either), and considering rearranging some hard drive space to dig into some of the old stuff.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »

The Forgotten #5 is pretty great.

Last week, I mentioned the latest Thunderbolts as a text book example of decompression.  This is just the opposite -- in the span of a few pages, this issue gives us damn near the same amount of information on the Time War that four years of the TV show have.  The Eighth Doctor's story is nicely self-contained, yet it expands the Time War story, uses the potential of a Doctor whose history is only partially written (by, for example, giving him a non-human companion), and throws in the necessary "half-human" joke (with a fairly clever retcon explaining it).  I imagine there are probably some nods to the radio series, too, since McGann spent a hell of a lot more time there than on TV, but Shada's the only one of those I've actually checked out.  And this story, by its nature, has to take place after McGann's run, because it's during the Time War.

The Ninth Doctor story is surprising for being so much the opposite of what's expected.  #9 was often a dark and brooding character, but this is a very lighthearted story.

I hate the colors in it, though -- feels like they've been slathered over Guerra's shading.  There are some bits near the end of the issue where they're pretty nasty, too, though I love them in the shot where #10 [spoiler]opens the fob watch[/spoiler].  Also a nice, if obvious, touch that that's #10's artifact.

So, rundown of the artifacts, then -- #1's is his cane, #2's is his recorder, #3's is his car keys, #4's is a bag of jelly babies, #5's is his cricket ball, #7's is his umbrella, #8's is, retroactively, the key he used to doom the Daleks and Time Lords and end the Time War, #9's is psychic paper, and #10's is [spoiler]the fob watch[/spoiler].  I must have missed #6's.  (EDIT: stopwatch.  Right.  Would have known that if I'd seen more #6 Who.)

And the last page reveal is very well-played -- as it's become increasingly hard to reconcile a goateed Master with the timeline we're working with here, the big question has, of course, been Who?  [spoiler]Who indeed -- it's the OTHER Tenth Doctor...but now he has a GOATEE.[/spoiler]  Or at least, so it would appear -- could be another red herring.  But really, all Martha's hinting throughout the issue at [spoiler]the Doctor's "other" regeneration[/spoiler] would seem to suggest he's the genuine article.  On the OTHER other hand, mucking with the latest series finale (and potentially making it better) -- does that sound like something the Beeb would allow?  Then again, I wouldn't have expected so much Time War stuff to pass.

Anyway, good issue, despite some color oddities.  For those who haven't been reading this series, it's probably worth checking out the trade.

Next month is the finale, the big throwdown with all ten Doctors.  [spoiler]Or is it 10.5?[/spoiler]  Part of me thinks, how can they wrap this story up in just one more issue?  But then I remember I'm thinking of the amount of story MOST writers cram into a single issue.  Again, this series PACKS it in there -- 8-page stories are practically a lost art.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2009, 10:02:14 AM »

BBC just announced the eleventh doctor as Matt Smith.

The new Doctor Who is my age  :ohshi~:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »

...I DO appreciate the fact that absolutely nobody saw that one coming.  Disappointed it's nobody from Jekyll, but WTF, let's see how he does.  I expect him to have great material to work with.

The new Doctor Who is my age  :ohshi~:

October 1982, REPRESENT!  (<---- granfalloon)

The best clue that he'd be young was a Murdoch paper reporting he'd be over 40.

The possibility of juxtaposing a young Doctor with the commanding personality as described by River Song is compelling, but of course I think at this point everybody's reading way too much into the River Song ep and Moffat's got a lot more to do than simply filling in the stuff he foreshadowed there.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2009, 10:03:25 PM »

Ah, hell. And here I was really holding out for Nesbitt. Though, of course, that was mostly me hoping to see my own self further reflected in a fictional character. What better way than through a guy who acted his way through a crazy x-files version of a thin allegory for alcoholism?

But really, all props to the emo kid. At least he has my hair. Though the long face might be a bit much to get over. Guy looks like a goddamn horse. Just saying.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2009, 11:30:48 AM »

:8D: Maybe now he'll be able to afford eyebrows!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2009, 10:50:56 AM »

The last issue of The Forgotten is pure fan-wank.  I mean, the whole series has had that element to it, but here the story actually takes a backseat to seeing how many different companions Lee can cycle through in just a few pages, and the materialization of the previous nine Doctors is underwhelming, largely because of the complaints about the art that I've previously noted.  (And I was right, Guerra didn't draw this issue.)  On the plus side, [spoiler]Adric dies again[/spoiler].

There's some foreshadowing near the end that things are going to get darker and the Doctor's going to have to face more fallout from the Time War.  I'm curious as to whether Tony Lee knows any inside scoops on the upcoming specials, or if he's just playing the odds.  (I think he must have known season 4's ending before he started writing The Forgotten, which must mean he knew it in advance since the finale was in June and Forgotten started in August.)

I DO quite like the ending.  There's a bit where the Doctor says there's one companion he really needs to see before he goes.  [spoiler]I was thinking, "aw, hell, more damn pining for Rose," but no, it turned out to be Susan.  Which of course makes sense given that it's a fanboy writing it -- of COURSE he'll be sick of Rose and more interested in seeing one of the original series' major dangling threads given some sort of resolution.[/spoiler]

All in all, The Forgotten is a pretty good series with a very silly ending that manages to come across as anticlimactic despite (or, really, BECAUSE OF) its kitchen-sink approach -- itself a pretty fair summary of any given season of the current TV series.

It's at its best when it's doing 8-page stories about each of the first 9 Doctors; the overarcing Tenth Doctor story is just window-dressing, and while it provides a couple neat twists it doesn't really stand up well to the smaller, self-contained stuff.

I'd love to see this idea expanded on with an ongoing series of new stories featuring classic Doctors, but of course they've already got Doctor Who Classics, and it's much cheaper to reprint old stuff than create new stuff.  (And with a $4 cover price, I've gotta figure they're turning a decent profit.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 50