Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 50

Author Topic: New Doctor Who  (Read 53877 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2009, 04:55:50 PM »

Photo confirms John Simm...and Timothy Dalton dressed as a Time Lord.

I'd say the odds of "RTD pushes giant reset switch, brings back Gallifrey and the Time Lords (and presumably also Skaro and the Daleks)" just went way up.  And they weren't exactly low to begin with.

(Article's claim that the Master killed #7 is a bit of a stretch; he forced an emergency landing on Earth, but was hardly responsible for the Doctor opening the TARDIS door and immediately getting shot.)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »

I'd say the odds of "RTD pushes giant reset switch, brings back Gallifrey and the Time Lords (and presumably also Skaro and the Daleks)" just went way up.  And they weren't exactly low to begin with.

WOW that would piss me off. Wouldn't put it past RTD for a dang second, either  :painful:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2009, 09:34:18 PM »

I'm on the fence.  I'm fairly confident that WHATEVER happens in the finale is going to make me want to punch babies.

I think the bottom line on undoing the Time War is the question of whether there's more potential for good stories with Gallifrey or without it, and I'm leaning toward "with".  The Time War, Last of the Time Lords angle was Davies's baby, and while it worked to great effect with both #9 and #10 (and, retroactively, #8 in The Forgotten comic), I don't know that I need any more of the "so lonely" Doctor after this.

That said, it would sure be great if the Daleks would stay the fuck away for awhile.

Anyway.  Whatever.  I'm confident that, whatever happens, RTD's finale will make me :MENDOZAAAAA: and Moffat's subsequent season will make me :dance:.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »

I feel like there's a lot more with the Time War than without:

Honestly, I love the idea of a time war enough that I'd be even more pissed about a reset than I already am about Tennant getting written off before Moffat can take a swing at him. They've admittedly been sketchy on the details how how the war was fought, but two time-traveling races altering and re-altering history in a conflict that literally effects the entire universe seems like an incredibly awesome backdrop for exploring the absurd power Time Lords wield, and how their own aims and politics could affect trillions.

From what we saw of them in the old series, I'd always felt like the Time Lords were way too uptight and passive to be all that interesting. I know they would really need to be, in order to be any sort of effective guardians of time, but I'll be damned if a race of perfect, level-headed demi-gods didn't bore the hell out of me. I like the implication that their own ambitions to craft a better, Dalekless present undid countless lives.

I will say, though, that if anyone can write up a decent mystery on Gallifrey, it'd be Moffatt, and it's is a place and culture that would be great to explore more of. There's a heck of a history there, and if I remember my Five Doctors, not all of it is orange skies and lollipops.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »

Deadly Assassin was another biggie.  Hell, they were pretty severe in their first appearance in The War Games, and the Time War wasn't the first time they tried to erase the Daleks from history.  (I don't know from the radio series and am not even going to try to get into what happened there and what is and isn't canon, but I watched the Eighth Doctor remake of Shada and Romana was President at that point.)

I think a post-Time War Gallifrey would be a whole lot different from the one we saw on the old series.  We've already had hints of how much the Time Lords (and the Doctor in particular) changed -- enlisting in the Master's aid is a nontrivial change.

And who's to say what role Dalton's playing?  He could simply be impersonating a Time Lord.  Or it could be that there's a NEW race attempting to assume the Time Lord mantle.  Hell, it could be some Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey business where they're meeting with a Time Lord who eventually dies in the Time War but hasn't yet when they encounter him.

But given that it's RTD we're talking about?  I'm going with "something over-the-top and ill-conceived that serves to completely undermine something much better that he did earlier in the series."  (Of course, it hardly even bears mentioning that the Time Lords' sacrifice has been pretty fucking-well trivialized by the fact that the Daleks keep showing back up every year on increasingly ludicrous pretenses -- the latest being "I am the last of my race and want to destroy my race, so I'm going to go back in time and save my creator so he can make a bunch more of us".  Bringing back the Time Lords and the Daleks in earnest would get rid of that dilemma -- and I'm not opposed to Dalek stories -- which is good, because they're pretty much inevitable --, I'm just opposed to seeing one every fucking year; I'd love for them to go back to the "one Dalek story per regeneration" rubric.  #4 had one good Dalek story and one mediocre one, #5 and #6 had a good one each, #10 had one good one and two bad ones.  #9 managed to buck the trend by actually having two pretty good ones, and I haven't seen Remembrance yet so I can't vouch for #7 but I hear it's good.)

...But I think of all the theories I've just pulled out of my ass, I like "new race attempts to assume the mantle of the Time Lords" the best.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2009, 06:42:37 AM »

RTD interview.

Given what you said before about the lack of regrets, I'm guessing the answer's no, but are there any stories you wanted to tell with this series that you didn't get to?

Not really. Obviously, because I knew almost two years ago that I was leaving, I started thinking about stories. Other dramas I wanted to tell. Every now and then an idea will come into my head, though. I think there's a very good "Doctor Who" story to be told about Twitter, about the idea of communicating in 140 characters.

So, any time you're feeling down and need some cheering up, just think to yourself: Russell T Davies did not subject the human race to a Doctor Who episode about Twitter.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2009, 07:01:19 AM »

RTD interview.

Given what you said before about the lack of regrets, I'm guessing the answer's no, but are there any stories you wanted to tell with this series that you didn't get to?

Not really. Obviously, because I knew almost two years ago that I was leaving, I started thinking about stories. Other dramas I wanted to tell. Every now and then an idea will come into my head, though. I think there's a very good "Doctor Who" story to be told about Twitter, about the idea of communicating in 140 characters.

So, any time you're feeling down and need some cheering up, just think to yourself: Russell T Davies did not subject the human race to a Doctor Who episode about Twitter.

For some reason i get the feeling that it would have involved the cybermen...somehow (and they'd end up getting USELESS INFORMATION'D to death)

Verde

• Wicked pissah
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »

Unusual patterns are appearing in Twitter messages! What could it mean?

Oh, it's just Rose coming back again. And she's brought some daleks and cybermen with her again.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »

RT @rose: " BADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFBADWOLFB"
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2009, 03:53:08 PM »

CoE has pissed off so many of my friends I might just watch it.

Also where the hell is that next special?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »

Coming "after Halloween".
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2009, 05:33:58 PM »

Small news: Eleventh Doctor's costume revealed.

Bigger news: Alex Kingston return confirmed.  So it would appear we WILL get more of the River Song story.

Big fucking news: Motherfucking Tom Baker doing some radio shows.  Yeah, just radio, but seriously -- new Fourth Doctor shit.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2009, 06:09:45 AM »

"Crash of the Byzantium, have we done that yet?"

...seems like she would have known the answer to that if that was the ELEVENTH Doctor.  Bet Moffatt has an explanation in mind.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2009, 06:48:37 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJBsW78keRQ&feature=player_embedded

So...

Season 1: "Bad wolf."
Season 2: "Torchwood."
Season 3: "You are not alone"; the sound of drums.
Season 4: "Doctor Donna"; the sound of a heartbeat.
Specials: "He will knock four times."  And, presumably, the sound of knocking.

There was apparently another trailer at Comic-Con, featuring the Master, but I can't find it immediately and I have to dash.

(EDIT: There are bootlegs up but they look roughly like hell.  Punch up "Doctor Who The End of Time" on YouTube if you're desperate to see it, but you're probably better off waiting for an official Beeb version.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #174 on: August 06, 2009, 08:46:51 PM »

...so I've worked out what the big shocking tear-jerker twist they keep alluding to is.

They're going to kill off Wilf.

Which makes me realize I DO quite like the guy -- he's one of the few understated characters in the whole thing, and has some real charm.  I think his death could be quite effective.  Except, of course, for RTD's obsessive need to overdo everything; he'll probably spout an absurd soliloquy on his way out.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2009, 12:38:02 PM »

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile