Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Funnybooks  (Read 160586 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Funnybooks
« Reply #2180 on: December 11, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »

Captain Carrot is back in the New 52

Giffen confirmed to the Robot 6 blog that "Captain K'Rot" is, indeed, Captain Carrot, the 1982 creation of Roy Thomas and Scott Shaw who most recently appeared in the grand finale of the 2008 crossover event Final Crisis, showing up to save the day at the last moment (No, really). "Every book needs a borderline psychotic, booze swilling, whore-mon-

Ahh screw this, I'm out.

::(:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: December 11, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »

Why not just bring in The Captain then?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: December 11, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »

Hey, it worked for Rocket Raccoon, didn't it?

Except he was introduced as part of a team and they had some breathing room to build his characterin the Annihilation: Conquest miniseries. But what am I saying? All that's going to get undone so he can be a one-note periphery character in Bowel Movement Bendis's Guardians of the Galaxy.

Ahh screw this, I'm out.

Wait for me.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #2183 on: December 12, 2012, 05:38:33 AM »

Captain Carrot is back in the New 52

Giffen confirmed to the Robot 6 blog that "Captain K'Rot" is, indeed, Captain Carrot, the 1982 creation of Roy Thomas and Scott Shaw who most recently appeared in the grand finale of the 2008 crossover event Final Crisis, showing up to save the day at the last moment (No, really). "Every book needs a borderline psychotic, booze swilling, whore-mon-

Ahh screw this, I'm out.

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2184 on: December 12, 2012, 08:24:33 AM »

Quote from: Mr Lawless
Because trademark protection doesn't have to mean it's good!

Well, y'know...it IS Keith Giffen.  I like to think he knows how fucking asinine this sounds and that's the joke.  Like when Marvel did that grim-'n'-gritty reboot of Forbush Man a few years ago.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: December 12, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »

Not so much that I think he's going to be Grim-'n'-Gritty so much as think he's just going to be Machine Man.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2186 on: December 12, 2012, 01:15:22 PM »

Or Lobo, another Keith Giffen character who was intended as satire of the grim-'n'-gritty extreme badass trend but who wound up turning into the thing he was intended to satirize.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #2187 on: December 12, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »

Quote from: Mr Lawless
Because trademark protection doesn't have to mean it's good!

Well, y'know...it IS Keith Giffen.  I like to think he knows how fucking asinine this sounds and that's the joke.  Like when Marvel did that grim-'n'-gritty reboot of Forbush Man a few years ago.

You mean Nextwave?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: December 12, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »

That's what I was referring to when I mentioned The Captain.

Only NextWave was legitimate funny.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2189 on: December 12, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »

You mean Nextwave?

No, Captain America: Who Won't Wield the Shield.

Nextwave DID fight Forbush Man, but I don't remember him being particular grim-'n'-gritty in that appearance.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: December 12, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »

He wasn't gritty but he was grim.
...but is it art?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2191 on: December 13, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »

Demon Knights #15: Well, that's it for Cornell.  We've got a full-on Merlin regeneration, and a sentence or two of too-awkward dialogue finally doing what Cornell said he would in the beginning and establishing the Demon Knights as the original Stormwatch.  Kind of a neat idea (even if it seems a little too much like Prospero's Men in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), but...well, that's it.  Next issue is apparently going to take place 30 years later, which makes for a clean break and a potentially interesting angle (though if it winds up being the same cast of characters reuniting after 30 years, that's going to feel a lot like League too).

It's also definitely got the potential to free up Shining Knight for a solo book; as I noted before, Simone's pushing for a title starring a trans character and she and Cornell seem to be on pretty good terms, so I won't rule out the possibility that he left the door open intentionally.

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: December 14, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »

Demon Knights #15: Well, that's it for Cornell.  We've got a full-on Merlin regeneration, and a sentence or two of too-awkward dialogue finally doing what Cornell said he would in the beginning and establishing the Demon Knights as the original Stormwatch.

I ended up liking the connection between the two books less than I expected because Stormwatch is so mediocre. There are good ideas flying around, and the mythology is compelling, but it's 15 issues in and I'm not rooting for any of the characters. I also ended up cancelling Demon Knights since it seemed like a good jumping off point (and also, I'm cutting back on comics to save money.)

It's also definitely got the potential to free up Shining Knight for a solo book; as I noted before, Simone's pushing for a title starring a trans character and she and Cornell seem to be on pretty good terms, so I won't rule out the possibility that he left the door open intentionally.
But this, I would subscribe to!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2193 on: December 14, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »

You made it 14 issues farther into Stormwatch than I did.

I like Cornell and I hung on to Authority a whole lot longer than I reasonably should have (I think the last arc I read was Brubaker/Nguyen?), but...well, dropping them in the middle of the DC Universe is just stupid and redundant.  What the hell's the point of having Apollo and Midnighter live in the same world as Superman and Batman?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: December 14, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »

The same reason it seemed like a good idea to absorb the WCW stables into the WWE.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2195 on: December 18, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »

Comixology the #3 highest-grossing iPad app of 2012.

Now, I've got my gripes about Comixology -- proprietary format, DRM, potential distribution monopoly, the usual gripes you would expect me to have about a thing.

But that shit will sort itself out over time.  The important thing is, this shows a high demand for digital comics.  I believe that is a very good thing.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2196 on: December 21, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »

Simone un-fired from Batgirl, apparently.  Or maybe she has some other Batgirl project that's not the main Batgirl series.  It's not entirely clear.  But I'm guessing this is DC backpedaling after the outcry.

EDIT: Bleeding Cool seems to believe the obvious implication too, that Gail's been put back on the main Batgirl book after the backlash her firing caused.

Usual grain-of-salt for BC, but they seemed to know this was coming.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: December 21, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »

That sure doesn't make it sound like no one is at the helm.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2198 on: December 21, 2012, 02:59:58 PM »

Well, it sure tends to undercut my theory that this came from Warner Corporate.  Somebody that high up in the chain is NOT going to reverse a firing decision like that; they do not want to create the impression that freelancers have leverage over executives, no matter who they are.

Now, it could be a Didio decision -- he's certainly had the "We have to kill somebody off to give this series a punch" approach before.  (Remember when he wanted to kill off Nightwing at the end of Infinite Crisis?)  Hell, could be Johns; he's the one who decided Barry Allen needed more Batman in his origin story.

I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder floated the idea of killing someone off and Simone said no, but judging by Snyder immediately coming to her defense on Twitter I don't think it was his intention that she should be fired if she didn't want to do it.

And it could just be a case of a new editor on the arguably-most-visible collection of books in all of comics deciding to throw his weight around.  I'm reluctant to blame everything on a low-level editor without direct evidence, but I bet that's how DC's going to frame it, anyway.  And whether it was his decision to boot her or not, there's no question that he completely botched the execution.  You do NOT fire a creator over E-Mail -- you don't do it ANYBODY because basic human decency, but you don't do it to someone who's popular and selling a lot of books because of tactical reasons.

Purely hypothetical but maybe it went something like this:

Didio: Hey, this Death of the Family thing's selling really well.  Who you going to kill off?
Snyder: I was thinking [some character in Batgirl.  Barbara's roommate or somebody.]
Didio: Hey, tell Gail we're killing off [whoever].
Group Editor: Gail, we're killing off [whoever].
Gail: No.
Group Editor: Then you're fired.
Internet: :rage:
Didio: Oh no, not again.

We'll probably never know the details, because Gail doesn't generally talk out of school.  All's well that ends well, I suppose.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: December 22, 2012, 08:44:42 AM »

Gail Simone tends to be fairly tight-lipped, so I doubt we'll ever fully known what happened any time soon, but I'd also guess that some execs down the chain are trying to jockey for position within the greater Time-Warner structure. A 'Look at how balls-tough I am" gesture like trying to break the arm of Gail Simone could have been an attempt at a power-play. Either way, I'm actually willing to believe that somebody in Didio's position could have been the one to patch things up with Simone to bring her back. He may be kind of a rude jackass sometimes, but he's not going to kick his biggest female writer off of a successful book so crassly.

Now, as for what DC wants to do with Vertigo is anybody's guess. If DC has plans to shutter the imprint and cast its books to the dark-nether, it sure is going through a lot of trouble to do it.