Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 119

Author Topic: PET PEEVES FUCK  (Read 166566 times)

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
PET PEEVES FUCK
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:16:48 AM »

I hate the word "overly."  It sounds fucking childish.  There are so many words you can use in the place of "overly" that do not sound like you cobbled together a new adverb midsentence.  "Too" always works in its place, the fuck is wrong with it.

Same with "simplistic."  It's an adjective, meaning "simple," which is also an adjective.  Fuck.

I'll murder the next person who uses "overly simplistic."

(Not counting the people who will now do it for the irony.)

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: PET PEEVES FUCK
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »

Holding you to this.

Will have birthday hats and streamers upon said murdering.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 07:25:31 AM »

Completely non-grammar related pet-peeve.

People who play miniatures games but don't want to assemble the models to play.  I'm not even talking about painting the bloody things, just put them TOGETHER.  WITH GLUE.

I am tired of fighting armies of torsos and feet.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:25:15 AM »

People who call all mp3 players "iPods". Generally most brand name things like that annoy me a tad (kleenex), but only iPod will set me off on a tirade.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 08:50:01 AM »

People who don't know the name of the movie they are going to see.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:05:40 AM »

A while back, a customer at work wanted to see a movie about, quote "Those gay kids coming out"

(It was Chronicles of Narnia)

::(:

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:08:57 AM »

Recursive acronyms.

People who get upset when you use the word "alright," despite it being a part of English for at least a hundred and fifty years along with the more conventional contractions of "all together," "all mighty," "all one."  So basically, English majors.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:59:04 AM »

People who don't know the name of the movie they are going to see.

Oooh, oooh! People who ask questions all throughout a movie, especially questions that are obviously not yet meant to be answered.

For most people, I'd shrug this off with low grumbles, but one of my friends (The Voice of The Kid), who is not an idiot and usually displays above average intelligence DOES THIS ALL THE FUCKING TIME OH MY FUCKING GOD HE MUST BE DEAF OR SOMETHING.

:( I expect a little bit better from my peers.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:10:39 AM »

People who think their pet peeves matter so much.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:28:29 AM »

i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 10:54:54 AM »

People who correct my word choice, derailing the thought behind the conversation.

Example: Yesterday some kid with an mp3 player entered the room and tripped and fell on his face. The next day, during the course of conversation, I may mention his "iPod." In the middle of my sentence, "So this kid with an iPod walks in the room yesterday-" someone corrects me, saying, "Actually it was some off-brand product mp3 player," at which point I walk away and strike up a conversation with a cute girl.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »

People who come up with something clever to say, and then say it really fast, and then go "--ANYWAY..." like they were trying to slip something funny between two other thoughts, but then after saying "ANYWAY" they just stay silent for a few seconds and probably giggle a little about the joke they made.  The joke can even be funny, but the failed segway ruins everything.

I'm guilty of doing this.  Even if you manage to segue smoothly, you can blow the joke.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 11:39:51 AM »

I hate the word "overly."  It sounds fucking childish.  There are so many words you can use in the place of "overly" that do not sound like you cobbled together a new adverb midsentence.  "Too" always works in its place, the fuck is wrong with it.

I could argue, but I tend to have the same problem with my grandparents frequently using the maddeningly neutral "is/are/am able" in place of the more direct "can".

Same with "simplistic."  It's an adjective, meaning "simple," which is also an adjective.  Fuck.

Now, on this one, you are wrong.  "Simplistic" isn't any more a synonym for "simple" than "simplified" is.  It clearly DERIVES from "simple", and has a similar meaning, but both its literal and its connotative meaning are different from "simple".

If Guild were to say "Capitalism is good" and I were to respond, "Well, that's a little simple," that wouldn't make any sense.  If, however, I said "simplistic", that would be the correct word.

People who correct my word choice, derailing the thought behind the conversation.

Maverick is your word, not mine. I said rebel.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:41:36 AM »

What an overly simplistic thread.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »

Anyway...

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 12:29:17 PM »

If Guild were to say "Capitalism is good" and I were to respond, "Well, that's a little simple," that wouldn't make any sense.  If, however, I said "simplistic", that would be the correct word.

Nothing can make me like the word, but I'll revise my earlier complaint.  Simplistic often gets used improperly and it pisses me off.

Also, I'm pretty sure "simplistic" has a negative connotation while "simple" does not.  IE, "this energy plan is simple" vs "this energy plan is simplistic."  That's fine, but there are still better words.  Like "assault."  That's an awesome word.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »

Irregardless is the greatest word ever, isn't that right, Moctobot? Huh huh huh? Isn't it just tits?
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »

Neat.  I missed YKWIH?

English grammar provides poorly for ending sentences that are not questions with quotes/titles that involve questions.  Relatedly, I dislike (and this may just be MLA bullshit) how punctuation is supposed to go inside quotation marks, even if the terminal punctuation mark isn't native to the quoted passage.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 02:57:31 PM »

I fucking hate when people are late and don't show any sense of urgency in anything they do, but this may have something to do with my entire family and group of friends always putzing around when they say they're going to do something.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 03:00:06 PM »

(Not counting the people who will now do it for the irony.)
What an overly simplistic thread.

Making the obvious joke well after it was nipped in the bud.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 119