Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 56

Author Topic: Final Fucking Fantasy  (Read 54318 times)

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fucking Fantasy
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »

The problem with making Kimahri into whatever you want is that, like Brentai said, you already have one person for each enemy type already... and you need to swap people into battle to get them experience. If I were to, say, have Kimahri follow Auron's path, then I would have to choose between the two of them to use against armored enemies, and as a result they'd each get less experience. So, yeah, doesn't work well in practice.

...Goddammit, I want to play this game again, and I've already done that a few times. I've even completed the monster catching TWICE. And the stupid Chocobo race TWICE.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 12:40:32 PM »

The sphere grid was a problem for him (he could only ever be a clone of another character) but his biggest downfall is that he didn't have a place anywhere in the power balance, which meant he sucked against every single enemy type.  If there were some kind of lioness monster that Kimahri could poke with his spear then he'd be a part of the standard character rotation more often.

Also I wanna say I loved the hell out of the sphere grid and hated its presentation, mainly because its chessboard-circle bullshit made a legitimately awesome leveling system look like a cynical gimmick.  Seriously, though, the SG's biggest strength is the License Board's biggest weakness - every character had a section of the board designed just for them and could explore multiple variations of growth without straying outside of their class archetype, while at the same time having the option of crossing over into other people's sections but only with a conscious effort to do so.  Rikku could turn into Auron if you wanted, but you had to damn well be doing it on purpose in order for it to happen.  The LB, on the other hand, sort of encourages everyone to become a generic sword/shield-user with Cure, and you need to make a specific effort if you want your party to NOT be a bunch of the same people (which I'm doing this time around, and it's not working out quite as well as when I just had everybody but weak-ass Fran dogpile on the nearest monster and occasionally heal).

Also, it adds an extra unnecessary step to equipment management, which is already bad enough with shops spread all the hell over every city.

...Someone should split this.

I've been waiting for it since a page ago.

(Also Rosencrantz sorry for parroting what you just said you posted that while I was typing and I'm not going back to edit okay)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »

And the stupid Chocobo race TWICE.
You're insane. Did you do the lightning and butterfly minigames twice as well? God damn.
...but is it art?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »

I liked having Kimahri as a second Tidus, mostly because it's fun to stack up delay effects. I gave him spears with piercing, and he could support anyone against anything. The only reason I ever took him off the active team was because I wanted to let someone else get some exp for a change.

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »

And the stupid Chocobo race TWICE.
You're insane. Did you do the lightning and butterfly minigames twice as well? God damn.

I am insane. But to my credit, I only did the lightning once and I have never completed the butterfly minigame. Oh, and I've never played Blitzball enough to unlock Wakka's weapon.

Now that I think about it, the first time I did all this stuff was several years ago when I was in my air force tech school, and I was stuck on the base and since it was Mississippi in the summer nobody wanted to go outside so most people just stayed in and played games. The second time was when I had my first two wisdom teeth removed.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »

My second time through the game I intended to powergame and everything, but then I got a random-drop sword for Tidus really, really early in the game that had Petrify on it, and pretty much used that to solve every problem I had, ever.  Apparently while most enemies are death-immune, almost none of them have any resistance to Petrify at all.  At that point going for ultimate weapons and such just seemed like a waste of time.  I even managed to use it to kill myself during the fight with Yu Yevon.

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »

My second time through the game I intended to powergame and everything, but then I got a random-drop sword for Tidus really, really early in the game that had Petrify on it, and pretty much used that to solve every problem I had, ever.  Apparently while most enemies are death-immune, almost none of them have any resistance to Petrify at all.  At that point going for ultimate weapons and such just seemed like a waste of time.

Hell yes! On my first playthrough I got that same weapon (the snake guys who petrify you near Djose temple drop it) and I couldn't believe how useful it was. Even those giant Ochus in the following area go down in one hit to it. So, naturally, on my second playthrough I kept fighting the snakes to get the drop... and it took at least a few hours. A similar thing happened on my first playthrough of SotN: I somehow got TWO Crissaegrim drops without knowing what they were, but every time since then I have to equip all the luck equipment and sit there for way too long to get a single one.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2008, 01:24:23 PM »

See, Brentai, the problem with Wakka is that Lulu can ALSO hit flying enemies just fine.

Also, the clear solution to having to swap everyone in all the time to get EXP is to just have everyone constantly attacking the wrong enemy.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2008, 02:04:33 PM »

.. now I really want to play the International version of FFX, where everyone starts in the middle of the board.  Is there a version where the menus aren't all ching chong wing wong?
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »

The International and PAL versions of the game include an optional "Expert" version of the Sphere Grid; in these versions, all of the characters start in the middle of the grid and may follow whichever path the player chooses. As a tradeoff, however, the Expert grid has noticeably fewer nodes in total, thus decreasing the total statistic upgrades available during the game.

You know what I'm going to say here.

"Sounds like the License Board to me!"

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2008, 02:29:02 PM »

.. now I really want to play the International version of FFX, where everyone starts in the middle of the board.  Is there a version where the menus aren't all ching chong wing wong?

At the beginning of the game, you select if you want English or Japanese. Unfortunately, the language option page is in Japanese, but once you get past that the game seems to be 100% English. There's a thread about the game over on the ToastyForums, including some screenshots of the menus and Expert Grid, which are completely translated.

MY question, however, is: is there any way to play this on a PS3 without opening it up and messing with it, or do decent PS2 emulators exist yet? I've been wanting to try this version for a long time. I've heard that there are ways to play Japanese games on a PS2 by using some device instead of modding the console, too - if that does exist, I could just borrow my brother's PS2.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »

You know what I'm going to say here.

"Sounds like the License Board to me!"

Kind of, except I think you'd still end up specializing.  It's more a "choose which characters get which classes" situation than "make everybody basically identical".

I might be wrong, of course; haven't played 10 in years and don't know how feasible it would be to play through the game with a legion of characters who know rudimentary abilities in each area.  But remembering Kimarhi leads me to think the answer is "not very".

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »

Wait, that reminds me. They ALSO did an international version of FF12 with the "zodiac" license grid. If I remember correctly, there were 12 different zodiac license grids and you could choose one for each character and it gave them a more specific job class. So... more like FF10, really.

I REALLY want to play that one, especially since I haven't even finished FF12 compared to how many times I've played FF10, but I also remember hearing that this one didn't have the English text in it. Don't know if that's true or not, though.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2008, 02:58:45 PM »

While it'd be awesome to turn Auron into a caster and Yuna into a powerhouse from the get-go, it still doesn't work on account of the whole power balance thing.  If you're not playing Auron for strength then you're just going to give yourself a hard time against armored foes, etc.

haven't played 10 in years

SEVEN!  ...you're just getting everyone back for the X-Files thing, aren't you?

Wait, that reminds me. They ALSO did an international version of FF12 with the "zodiac" license grid. If I remember correctly, there were 12 different zodiac license grids and you could choose one for each character and it gave them a more specific job class. So... more like FF10, really.

Shoulda frickin' did that in the first place, though that's not going to magically make the map design and enemy balance any better.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2008, 03:38:27 PM »

The zodiac boards also have little blocked-off sections of all the boards that are bridged by summons and quickenings -- to that end everyone has more than 3 quickening spaces on their board and they don't all cost the same amount. They're also MUCH more powerful than the regular board -- which you can still pick, if you want... call it "Ophiuchus" i guess -- for example, the Red Mage board has something like 12 goddamn Magic Boosts.

God, i wanna play the international version so much.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2008, 03:53:06 PM »

I don't like when console publishers(?) pull this secondary release bullshit.  Are publishing companies being such fuckers that we get P3 before the game is really done, after which we get P3:FES?

I'm probably looking at this the wrong way.  Feel free to correct me if it's really an issue of "Our fans loved X so much, we wanted to give them more!" and not "People are eating this shit up; I bet some balance tweaks and maybe a little more content would let us sell the game TWICE."

This whole thing might be a little hypocritical of me, as I have GGXX and GGXXAC (which introduces balance changes, a few extra characters, and expanded mechanics).  I think balance in competitive multiplayer games is a slightly different ballpark, though.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »

haven't played 10 in years

SEVEN!  ...you're just getting everyone back for the X-Files thing, aren't you?

Er, no.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2008, 05:59:54 PM »

do decent PS2 emulators exist yet?
PCSX2 claims to run FFX and FFXII playably, and I see no reason to doubt it, but it will be at a ridiculously low framerate even on a mighty computer. Worth a try, though.
...but is it art?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2008, 07:17:12 PM »

Y'know, I bet that with an emulator you'd be able to clear some of those fucking minigames in FFX.
...but is it art?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2008, 07:20:43 PM »

What, by turning up the framerate so they don't bore you to failure?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 56