Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 56

Author Topic: Final Fucking Fantasy  (Read 94639 times)

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fucking Fantasy
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 09:45:20 PM »

wow, i wish i could give you karma for that.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »

So you're saying that Final Fantasy XVI will be my favorite game ever?
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 10:46:03 PM »

Er, so does that make XIII also the next standard?  You sort of used VII for two things there.

And why's it such a huge shock that FF7 marked a huge turning point?  It's where the series left the yoke of Nintendo and where it gained a whole third dimension.  A lot of the staff was shuffled around, overrated character artist Amano got replaced by overrated character artist Nomura, and new evil overlord company Sony demanded the deliberate shift to a graphics-over-gameplay dynamic that would pretty much carry the series through the next two generations, among a bunch of other things.

There are a lot of patterns within the series, honestly, but it depends on where you're looking at it from.  For example, from where I'm standing, every odd-numbered FF is automatically terrible (#1 straddling a fine damn line until you get to Marsh Cave and then it flies off the line screaming and flailing).

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 10:57:26 PM »

Er, so does that make XIII also the next standard?

Yes, it does.

And why's it such a huge shock that FF7 marked a huge turning point?

It's not a huge shock. It's just that I didn't purposely factor that fact into my cycle, it simply emerged naturally. I thought that was cute. I was originally just focused on the similarities between IV-VI and X-XII, but then I realised I could expand it to cover the whole series and it fit perfectly.

So you're saying that Final Fantasy XVI will be my favorite game ever?

I don't know... maybe? I like 4 a lot better than 10... even though 10 had an interesting story and a great battle system, plodding through the actual game was so god damn obnoxious that I grew to pretty much loathe it entirely.

Which is really strange because you'd think Good Story + Good Battles = Good RPG, but apparently you'd be wrong!

I suppose the difference may be that FF4 is a cliché story told reasonably well, whereas FF10 is an interesting story told very badly. It also doesn't help that basically every character in 10 is utterly intolerable.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 11:00:10 PM »

basically every character in 10 is utterly intolerable.

B-b-but what about Bondage Queen McGoth's A-lot?

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »

I know this sounds weird coming from me but

BOOBS ALONE ARE NOT ENOUGH

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 11:14:14 PM »

She's easy on the eyes, but has all the personality of a trying-too-hard goth.  Go figure.

Auron was the only compelling character out of the whole lot, if only because he was playing puppet master of the group.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 11:16:55 PM »

(Some of) FFX's characters become much more tolerable if you ignore the voices.
...but is it art?

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 11:21:05 PM »

Shut up classic.

I actually played (partway) through 10 a while ago after finishing P3 and before borrowing FF12 so i could get a start on it.* I really, truly love the character growth system -- when i first heard of the sphere grid in a magazine a thousand years ago, i was nonplussed, but MAN does it work out well in practice. The battles are super tight and enjoyable, the lingering feeling that i should constantly swap people in to get EXP notwithstanding (and given that kimahri and wakka are about as useful as a useless, superfluous pair of numbskulls, that's entirely my own madness tripping me up). I don't mind the cast of characters, with the exception of Yuna, since you could basically replace her voice with a 100 dB explosion and i wouldn't be any more irritated than i am every time she opens her mouth as it is. The presentation of that game is so completely horrible that i can't imagine how anyone could ever complete it. I lost count of how many times they fucked up your movement and consequently irritated the shit out of me by constantly changing the position of the static camera by the time i hit besaid village and the animations the cast do while talking are painful to behold. Also the CG cutscenes are SO bad, i want to barf whenever i see CG-Tidus emote.

If it was all SNES-style sprites i would play the SHIT out of that game. In fact, can we get a 2d FF10 remake for DS? That would be pretty good.

*GOD WHY AM I ON SUCH A FUCKING RPG KICK RIGHT NOW I AM ONLY PLAYING JAPPO SWORDFESTS AND THE DOOM ROGUELIKE (BTW I TOTALLY KILLED THE CYBERDEMON FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY I AM SO MONEY $$$$)

MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE THE NIGHTLY DANCE OF BLEEDING SWORDS REMINDS ME THAT I STILL LIVE

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 11:28:56 PM »

For example, from where I'm standing, every odd-numbered FF is automatically terrible

...you totally stole that from Star Trek.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 11:30:48 PM »

For example, from where I'm standing, every odd-numbered FF is automatically terrible

...you totally stole that from Star Trek.

Hell, I remember reading people say that (about FF) since FF7 came out... which was odd, considering that the only other odd-numbered FF to be released in the US prior to that was the original.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 12:25:59 AM »

basically every character in 10 is utterly intolerable.

B-b-but what about Bondage Queen McGoth's A-lot?
I don't know, I thought Anima was pretty cool.

Also the CG cutscenes are SO bad, i want to barf whenever i see CG-Tidus emote.
Gellllllllllflinnnnnnng.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 12:56:52 AM »

I suppose the difference may be that FF4 is a cliché story told reasonably well, whereas FF10 is an interesting story told very badly. It also doesn't help that basically every character in 10 is utterly intolerable.

Whereas every character in FF4 came off as terribly bland and generic, which is really kind of amazing.  When you have a party consisting of a murderous evil knight with his own airship platoon, a 10-year-old girl with command over a legion of gods and monsters, and an ancient suicidal wizard bent on revenge, it really takes a lot to make them seem uninteresting.  And yet they manage!

Still, mediocre beats atrocious by definition.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2008, 12:59:19 AM »

My Year of Flops disagrees.

Roger

• Waiting for the next Smash Bros is the Pits
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2008, 01:23:41 AM »

I still haven't been able to get through FF5, but since I've been on a FF kick this week I gave it another shot the other day. Playing it side by side with FF4 I was struck by how much worse the story and characters in 5 are. I mean 4 isn't exactly Shakespeare, but it's surprisingly nuanced for a video game from 1991. Whereas, by comparison, (and I'm sure the fan-translation is partly responsible for this) 5 feels like someone's RPGmaker project.
It's really sad that it took to Final Fantasy V Advance to get a good translation for my favorite FF game.  After slogging through the fan translation on emulators and the PSX Anthologies version (which managed to be even worse), I was crying tears of joy when FFVA came along and reminded me what my game needed.

Also, since not many had the joy of going through PSX Final Fantasy V, I leave you two enemy names to show how utterly fucked up the translation was.

Wyvern was mangled into: Y Burn.
and Tonberry got mangled into: Dinglberry.  Yes.  The name was too long for the space limit.  Even though Final Fantasy 8 had been released already, and Tonberry was the new US standard.  Despite the fact that it was released alongside FF6 with an army of Pugs.  They chose the highly dubious "Dinglberry".

PhoenixUltima

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2008, 03:11:37 AM »

So where does FFX-2 fit into this grand circle of life?
The captain of the gravy train!

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2008, 05:31:04 AM »

It can replace XI if you like.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2008, 12:14:42 PM »

Also:

(and given that kimahri and wakka are about as useful as a useless, superfluous pair of numbskulls, that's entirely my own madness tripping me up).

Wakka's not useless!  He can kill birds with his deadly balls!

That's one of the things I thought was super-spiffy about FFX's battle system - the idea that every character had an enemy type that they were best against.  Tidus had quick little bastards who evaded too much, Wakka had flying little bastards who evaded too much, Auron was for big armored dudes, Lulu was for flans and elementals, Rikku sucked except for her instant-kill machine thing, and Yuna's purpose in life was to keep her Aeon army primed and ready to blitz the shit out of boss monsters.

...and then there's Kimahri.   ::(:

Yet Another Useless Blue Mage aside, the specialization of each character was pretty brilliant, and made for one of the few FF games where the characters were actually unique within the mechanics of the game itself.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »

I enjoy the systems of most Final Fantasy games but think that they need better characters and stories to accompany them.
...but is it art?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2008, 12:23:25 PM »

...and then there's Kimahri.   ::(:

Yet Another Useless Blue Mage aside, the specialization of each character was pretty brilliant, and made for one of the few FF games where the characters were actually unique within the mechanics of the game itself.

I can see what they were TRYING to do with Kimahri -- putting him in the center of the sphere grid means you can make him anything you want.

It's a decent enough idea in theory, it just doesn't work very well in practice.

...Someone should split this.  I was going to do it, but then I remembered I made Det a global mod so I wouldn't have to split so many threads myself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 56