Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 56

Author Topic: Final Fucking Fantasy  (Read 94641 times)

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fucking Fantasy
« Reply #860 on: June 02, 2009, 09:09:30 PM »

Honestly, I'd play a Final Fantasy MMORPG if it took place in Ivalice. And if I could role a Moogle.

And if that Moogle's class was Riskbreaker.

Right after I finished jizzing all over my pants.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 02, 2009, 09:09:51 PM »

I would have preferred the Ivalice races too. Fuck, I would have preferred FFX's humans/guado/al bhed/ronso races over FFXI's. I do hope that they add at least a couple new races to the mix, at the very least.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 02, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »

Square dropped the ball on Moogle PCs in XII.  The lack of Ivalice's diversity reflected in the cast really bothered me more than anything else.  I think they tried to bullshit excuse it by claiming that Humes are the only race with the inclination for this shit.  I would have at least liked a Bangaa PC.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #863 on: June 02, 2009, 09:16:06 PM »

I agree on all counts. For as varied the race in Ivalice are, there's no reason why the PC team should have only one non-human.

Ivalice MMO? I'd be all over that on principal.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 02, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »

A ha, it's not Final Fantasy XIV, it's Final Fantasy XI-V
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 02, 2009, 10:16:14 PM »

A ha, it's not Final Fantasy XIV, it's Final Fantasy XI-V

Well, FFXI did have four expansions already...

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 03, 2009, 03:39:52 AM »

I still maintain SE learned a lot from FFXI and the current game is about as unrecognizeable from the original as it could be without completely overhauling it in a way that would be impossible given the limitations of the PS2's technology.

since XIV is being developed by the same guys who've been adding the decidedly decent parts of XI (Treasures of Aht Urghan), I am cautiously optimistic for the FF WoW clone we wanted from the start.

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 03, 2009, 08:13:22 AM »

since XIV is being developed by the same guys who've been adding the decidedly decent parts of XI (Treasures of Aht Urghan), I am cautiously optimistic for the FF WoW clone we wanted from the start.

Well, FFXI came out two full years before WoW, but I think I get what you're saying. In any case, I'm cautiously optimistic as well.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 03, 2009, 08:17:44 AM »

I just want to see some fanboy head explosions.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 03, 2009, 09:15:17 AM »

Pretty sure everybody was asking for WoW before WoW actually came and delivered.

(Since all WoW ever was was a straight-up EverQuest clone that simply wasn't run by fucking idiots.)

(In other words, don't get your hopes up for a Square MMO being good.)

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: June 03, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »

Liveblog on FFXIV press conference.  Will update with bigger details.

Same races included because FFXI players are nostalgic beardos.  No substantial connection between the game worlds; presumably similar FF tropes.

Wow, the press isn't wasting any time...

They admit WoW influence and want to aim for more casual players.  Stuff like Level Sync is getting carried over and they want solo progression to be available from the start.

They are maintaining worldwide, non-regional servers.  Ugh.

Somebody asked if they'd have some process by which longtime FFXI players could transfer to XIV or get a head start or something, which is a stupid question, but the response was that they want people to play both games.  Megalol, sure, but it probably means they'll be different experiences, insofar as any FF is different from the others.

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 03, 2009, 11:13:57 AM »

Q: Will you try to move players from XI to XIV or will they be separate communities?

A: It's up to the community themselves. We envision users that will hopefully play XI one day and XIV another. They will be independent, but users are free to play both.

:wakka:

Good to hear about the solo stuff, though.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 03, 2009, 11:20:02 AM »

The scene of the Galka fighting all the little floaty pod-people from the video is using the ingame engine.

Holy shit.

They want more "many vs. many" traditional RPG battles this time around. 

" The player can grow & develop in a more natural way without putting too much weight on the player. We will expand the job system to make it fairly different from the one in FFXI. "

asheronscallol

"Another very important concept that takes a different direction from FFXI, for FFXIV we want to make it so the player can choose to play solo, in a party, 40 minutes, all-day... there will be content for ALL of those play styles and systems for all of those play styles."

So it looks like FFXIV is going to be a post-WoW MMO.  Anybody who's paid attention to my post history at all should know I think such a game, if pulled off (lol), would signify the end times.

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 03, 2009, 11:31:11 AM »

They're finally giving up on PlayOnline! Well, except for people still playing FFXI, I imagine.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 03, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »

FFXIV not necessarily a PS3 exclusive:

See, they'd like to clarify yesterday's announcement that the game was "exclusive" to the PS3. It's not. There'll also be a PC version. Following that, however, a carefully-worded statement said "in terms of all other hardware, including Microsoft consoles, we are considering all other options at this time".

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: June 03, 2009, 03:47:31 PM »

Sony: FFXIV will be a PS3 exclusive!

Squenix: No, not really.

Sony:  :nyoro~n:

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 28, 2010, 07:47:26 AM »

I've been doing a new playthrough of Final Fantasy 6 Advance on my GBA during bus rides to work and I'm just getting the airship right now.

In an effort to make this more challenging or just play the game from a different angle, I'm using only the characters I practically never touch otherwise. Celes, Locke, maybe Gau, Terra when I can. It's definitely more engaging but I still hate Gau despite how good he is right now in the game.

Any ideas how to make this more difficult without making it a retarded slog? I guess just running with two or three guys instead of the full four would be potentially good times. I could also just cut out magic entirely, maybe besides cure and such after battles.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 28, 2010, 07:59:05 AM »

the problem with the gba version is if you tape down the a button on the river your batteries will probably run out before you hit level 99.

Anyway, hit up the  G FAQS and poke around a bit, there are all sorts of challenge guides posted for pretty much every Final Fantasy a f a i k.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 28, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »

Don't use magicite.  Just stick to everyone's innate stats and leave magic the sole domain of magic users.

It's actually not that challenging, but it brings the balance closer to FF4, which is nice.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #879 on: May 31, 2010, 12:00:38 AM »

You know, for all the bitching I hear about the "Easytype" or whatever release of FF4 (hereafter referred to as FF2 because I'm :america:), it really does have the perfect balance.  Every time you enter a dungeon it's like WOAH-OH THIS IS KILLING ME YOU GUYS and then you soldier on for a couple of levels and usually find the right equipment to fight them with lying around so that by the time you get to the boss you're basically just steamrolling over all these fuckers whilst gaily waving the bird at them.

This is how every JRPG should work forever.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 56