Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 14807 times)

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
Re: Starbound
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2013, 07:30:08 PM »

At this point is it even worth me putting a server up? This shit is updating so much and I'm at work so much that I feel like its never even playable.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »

I'd like to get on the thing, but maybe we should all just make a play date.

Also, I am dual wielding hamburgers in a sewer full of poop golems because that is a totally sanitary thing you can do.

Another tier, another castle to abandon, this time on Gamma Pond 33 III b. Which was utterly unremarkable other than containing some Doctor Who references. I've gotten pretty good at slapping together shitcastles. Really, this is why we need modifiable ships, and why I'm not surprised they're reluctant to let that be a vanilla thing. Maybe make ship alteration a reward somehow?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2013, 04:20:40 AM »

It looks like that's unprocessed cobblestone in your shitcastle. When you create cobblestone bricks, you actually double the number of blocks you have available.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2013, 05:03:06 AM »

I dug down through a large pool of water in to a huge man-made structure that went deep underground. As I fell in I got to see the end of the flood that ensued as I broke through, wiping away an entire city of tiny houses. The bottom was a huge stack of pixels, the things that drop when you kill something.

It was fucking horrifying.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2013, 05:17:42 AM »

You're a monster.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2013, 05:19:53 AM »

Does water actually damage mobs?

Eh, whatever.

I haven't been making much progress, because on my machine the game tends to crash every time I try to change planets.
I succeed in moving, but I get a crash and it makes me saaad.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2013, 06:50:16 AM »

Sharkey that house is pretty boss.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »

Starbound server down. I think we should probably just do 'play dates' (as much as that term pains me to use) like sharkey said going forward. This game is so fluid right now I can't keep a server consistently up. I also have to raid in WoW this evening so I need the bandwidth.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2013, 10:35:19 AM »

There's usually a board admin around in #finalfight, so we can have them update the newsbox here with any running servers for the time being.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »

It looks like that's unprocessed cobblestone in your shitcastle. When you create cobblestone bricks, you actually double the number of blocks you have available.

Oh, I know, but raw cobble works well for the lumpy "meh, fuckit" look, and cobble is in no short supply at this point.

Sharkey that house is pretty boss.

Hey, thanks. That layout takes just about five minutes to slap together. Between wipes and sector hops I've left a string of them on a dozen planets at this point. I used to get more elaborate, but there's not a lot of point when you'll be moving on in a few hours. I do wish vanilla let you completely rebuild your ship, but that mod works just as well and you can truck the thing into multiplayer.

It took them ONE WEEK.

And yet somehow Novakids still aren't in the game proper yet. I'd suggest we have this for the server, but just keeping up with the updates is probably taxing enough and anyone playing one of these is just going to get pelted with shit anyway.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2013, 11:03:02 AM »

A huge reaction with the rest of the world, built up over several years, led to an brutal uprising against bronies and ended with them flying off into space on several large starships, the first of their kind.

Even in their mods people hate them.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »

Hey Sharkey I found a build-your-own-ship mod. Hopefully devs see what a fucking incredible idea it is and just implement it wholesale.

Because it can create stuff like this.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »

Taking a break from this game until the next big patch.  I'm finding out the hard way that the totally skewed ore generation means it's actually quite difficult to find lower quality ores, particularly coal.  Since coal is supposed to be fairly abundant and is a recipe for everything from torches to steel to just plain moving around, the game kinda bogs down around the Beta sector where you have to go scrounging for the stuff in order to build the next boss.  You can't find more just by digging down because that just makes the ore value more skewed.

Maybe it's less of a problem in certain biomes?  I dunno, all I know is that I've got nearly as much diamond as I do coal right now, and I don't want to planet hop because, oh, hey, there's only one way to do that now.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »

I am not a decorator but I made a home.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2013, 12:25:51 AM »

Finally got around to trying out that ship mod. No idea why it isn't like this by default. It's the most fun I've had with the thing so far.

Pretty much just took my old castle and bolted engines to it. Least practical spaceship ever.

It's more than a little busy, and holy hell do all those cosmetic doodads make a lot of racket. Looted most of it from one of those monkey Portal labs. Lots of jumping puzzles I didn't do because fuckit, I'm an earthbender. Got a gravity bubble at the end. It's on Gamma Pond 33 III a, if anybody needs one. Just walk to the left, just past the chicken coop.

Top half. Made a Dracular staircase to a pilot's bubble just cus.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2013, 12:55:41 AM »

Maybe it's less of a problem in certain biomes?  I dunno, all I know is that I've got nearly as much diamond as I do coal right now, and I don't want to planet hop because, oh, hey, there's only one way to do that now.

If it helps, you can smelt coal from ten unrefined wood. Not much good if you haven't got a forest handy, but I've had to make a point of hitting a few systems with shitloads of forest worlds and clearcutting them. Uranium starts showing up in Gamma, so it becomes less of an issue.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2013, 04:15:29 AM »

Oh, that does help.  I have like four whole stacks of wood because I started on the planet of Trees and Eyeballs (I also have en entire stack of ocumelon, and am a Floran.  The hunger bar is basically just there to see if I'm paying attention now.)

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2013, 10:10:15 AM »

Because fuck you.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »

If you guys absolutely can't wait: http://www.gameservers.com/game_servers/starbound_server.php

Ironically that's almost exactly what we bought this server to avoid having to do.  League of Legends.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9