Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: RING RING RING RING RING RING RING  (Read 26362 times)

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: RING RING RING RING RING RING RING
« Reply #140 on: February 29, 2008, 08:51:44 AM »

I don't understand what the big deal about any of this is. Why can't anyone in this community handle the responsibility of managing a completely automated, pink website where nerds talk about video games?

How can the boards, fall apart when the only management they require is the banning of spam bots and.... that's it. That's all you have to do, ban spam bots! That is the only responsibility you have if you run the pyoko boards or this place here. Any other administrative actions taken by someone in a position of power are completely frivolous and unnecessary as far as I can see and always have been.

So can all this garbage just end now and can everyone stop acting so fucking butthurt about how some tranny doesn't like them or whatever the hell it is that compels people to continue to yell at each other and admin and de-admin people all over the place. It's turned this community from a group of whiny losers who I was getting tired of into a group of retarded losers that I don't want to even be seen talking to.

I can see how there was a problem when it was terra squandering donation money and taking the boards down and shit like that. But if all that stuff bothered you, well, we have this place now, hosted by Parish who is an all around cool guy and not a mentally unstable retard.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 29, 2008, 08:59:14 AM »

(And Arc...it wasn't you, right?)

Toss this upon the pile of reasons why I deleted my account (along with paranoia that my account would be hijacked, and ensuring that the hundreds of mailing addresses in my private messages vanished).

I think my boards FTP access ended around the same time my FTP access to The Mayor ended (i.e. long ago).

Whatever happens, the posts hopefully remain available to view. There be gold in dem dare hills.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 29, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »

But if all that stuff bothered you, well, we have this place now, hosted by Parish who is an all around cool guy and not a mentally unstable retard.

Ah, but you haven't accounted for me.

:evil:

Anyways, now is an opportune time for me to make a public apology for the original basis of this thread. It was a fuckheaded move on my part (for a multitude of reasons) that I stubbornly stuck with.

The signature of a responsible admin is fostering understanding, and I failed on that end above all. Everyone I've personally talked to in the past weeks has been very understanding and downright cool in regards to my miserable action, and has given me a better opinion on the community more than ever.

Much love, much love. :wuv:

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 29, 2008, 10:54:52 AM »

My final action as Bronto Imperator was to put up an Administration Log, where responsible admins would note every single action they took and the reason for it.  I think it's a good idea.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 29, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »

Assuming, of course, that Pyoko has responsible admins.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 29, 2008, 04:07:33 PM »

Tell more jokes! I enjoy a good comedy routine.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #146 on: February 29, 2008, 06:00:45 PM »

I think terra just wants to not be in charge of the boards or anything else any longer because being in a position of absolute power is stressful and probably even directly harmful to his mental state.

I think this because i asked him.

More precisely, he wants to be able to wave his dick around and remind everyone who's boss, without actually investing any sort of time or energy into maintaining the boards.  He wants the power without the responsibility; he has not learned the lessons of Uncle Ben.  :fail:

Hanlon's Razor, innit?

Ah, I've been trying to remember the term for that expression for ages; thanks.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 29, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »

Bring water to boil, add rice, cook until tender, strain, serve to massa?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 29, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »

I want to be admins I can responsible
...but is it art?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 29, 2008, 10:38:05 PM »

I'm just content to sit back and know that I did a better job than most other admins.  Somehow.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2008, 11:05:12 PM »

Ooh!! ooh!!! I have an Idea, let's give EVERYONE admin powers!!!! :lol:
Nothing bad could come of such a trusting Idea :justasplanned:

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2008, 11:06:25 PM »

Ooh!! ooh!!! I have an Idea, let's give EVERYONE admin powers!!!! :lol:
Nothing bad could come of such a trusting Idea :justasplanned:

Hell (It is a forum)
...but is it art?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »

(And Arc...it wasn't you, right?)

Toss this upon the pile of reasons why I deleted my account (along with paranoia that my account would be hijacked, and ensuring that the hundreds of mailing addresses in my private messages vanished).

I think my boards FTP access ended around the same time my FTP access to The Mayor ended (i.e. long ago).

I was (mostly) joking, but actually, come to think of it, you're probably the best guy to ask since most of those tweaks were yours:

Would Kazz, without FTP access, have been able to hose all that backend stuff -- formatting, the "who gave me karma" lists, the arcade, the shop, basically everything that isn't part of a stock SMF install?  Because that doesn't make any sense to me.  An admin could, if he wanted to, delete every single post and member on the forums, but I couldn't so much as add new post icons.

Anyway.  Kazz, Niku, I'm exercising self-control and not sticking my head in over there to say all this, but if I were you that's what I'd focus on.  If Arc confirms my suspicion that you COULDN'T have done it without FTP access, play the hell out of that card.

Also note that the member action/IP logs are fallible.  Remember shortly after I stopped posting there, when I noticed the moderation log showed me deleting someone's account when I didn't, from an IP I've never used?

(Arc, that wasn't you either, right?  It was before you deleted your account and right about the time you reset my password after somebody locked me out.  But it wasn't your IP either.)

...Anyway.  For a little dick-measuring, I just checked the two boards' stats, and Pyoko had only one more post in the month of February than WFE.  Course, Arc and I are both WFE-exclusive and ridiculously prolific posters, but on the other hand, over there Kazz started a thread just to get everyone to post in it.

...My real point being that I'm not sure how long Pyoko can hold together if shit like this keeps happening over there.  At this rate, it won't be just the admin team that's made up of a handful Terra's friends, it'll be the entire population of the boards.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2008, 02:36:34 AM »

That's one of the things I really liked about Arc in general. He made a billion little tweaks that made the boards fun, or look better, or just smoother. This excuses the fact that getting a straight answer out of him is like pulling teeth.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2008, 03:01:54 AM »

In the interest of settling at least one question that might arise from this post: I'm disinterested in the politics of these boards as anything but theater to the point that if I did have any background information to the contrary I have rigorously forgotten it. The question is then: Is this...
It won't be just the admin team that's made up of a handful Terra's friendly acquaintances, it'll be the entire population of the boards.
Really that much of a change?

Anyhow, ignoring the Sharkey, Thad, and Arc vs. Arct, Vance(?), and Someone exclusivity thing going on, Pyoko still seems to have a lot more posting being done. In spite of all sorts of bizarre antics going on. My first guess would be the restraint this forum shows in creating new threads, and on the same note a general unwillingness for the cleverer posters to make new un-retarded threads.

This whole discussion is really moot, because I'm pretty sure it's still your fault. Maybe if you act quick though, we can blame Kazz or someone else for everything here.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2008, 03:23:51 AM »

In unrelated news, Kazz and Thad are promoted to global moderators. I'm not entirely sure that it equates to admin status, but I can't quite be bothered to give a hemorrhaging fuck. Meanwhile, they'll likely cancel each other out like antiparticles, which is probably futile, but at least fun to watch.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2008, 04:11:48 AM »

Part of it, Classic, I think, is Pyoko had a buttton of topics that were random fuckall stuff. I think we're still in the "Better than Pyoboards" mindset here - even unconciously - so we stay away from one off threads when it can be better folded into one of the existing threads.

Or we could just still be in the 'testing the waters' phases. Sort of like how you're not very eager to jam all levers and shoves all knobs on your new shiny toy in fear of breaking it? It's sort of like that.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2008, 07:52:38 AM »

Would Kazz, without FTP access, have been able to hose all that backend stuff -- formatting, the "who gave me karma" lists, the arcade, the shop, basically everything that isn't part of a stock SMF install? 

Nope.  You need FTP access to mess with any of the installed packages unless they have their own frontends (i.e. you can add shop items of existing types, but you can't install new kinds through the packages menu).

That's one of the things I really liked about Arc in general. He made a billion little tweaks that made the boards fun, or look better, or just smoother. This excuses the fact that getting a straight answer out of him is like pulling teeth.

Agreed.  And pretty much what I was planning to do as well, except you know, see above.  We didn't have FTP access, we couldn't change anything that wasn't already installed.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »

Pyoko at this point is pretty much running on its existing projects.  Most of the posts are in Exquisite Knorpse, Foll in the Blonk, Brawl Spoilers, Pyokomon League and a few of the ongoing drama topics.  We don't have any big endeavors going on here mainly because at the moment this forum is made up of random disinterested stragglers who don't know what's going on yet.  Plus most of us still have a foot in Pyoko, mainly because of the big endeavors.  At least two of those listed above are going to fall off in about a week, so the livelihood of that board is pretty limited.  Not that I'm particularly happy or sad about that.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2008, 10:13:26 AM »

I was pretty sure the End Times were coming for Pyoko about a month ago, so I changed the admin team and started beating my chest.  It actually did spur some activity, which was fun, but I guess all our fake ban threats made Arcturus feel like he wasn't properly feared.

And Zaratustra was deeply offended by everything I did, half because he dislikes me anyway and half because he took everything I said seriously (which might be why he dislikes me).

Anyway, I'm not an admin there now, and I'll remove it from myself if anyone puts it back, because I'd frankly rather see the whole ship go down at this point.

I'm a little shellshocked from the torrent of bullshit, which is why I vagged out in that "missing board" thread here.  Sorry about that.  I need to fucking relax.

Power sucks, kids.  Stay helpless.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11